Eastside Hockey Manager - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'm using the '98 rosters and I'm in the 2003 draft...I noticed that a lot of players with almost all 1's on the technical side of things are killing it in some major junior leagues. Ratings that near 8's.

Now, I understand that there are other factors involved and I'm glad to see that it's not just a straight attribute race (EHM 07 also had some odd guys that would just do really well in certain systems, even though they wouldn't otherwise be up to par in that league...I had one player that followed me around as I got new jobs from the QMJHL -> ECHL -> AHL and he did great at every level, despite never having more than 6's or 7's in really anything but mental)

But I noticed about 5 or 6 guys that were 19 or 20 years old, they have 1's or 2's in passing/shooting/etc. but are better than point per game players. They are good skaters for their level of play, but not great or otherworldly certainly.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with these guys at the junior level, and if there was a contributing factor at all...

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
New to playing Eastside Hockey Manager, well playing it that is. You guys have won me over with the NCAA leagues. INCREDIBLE

Well, the NCAA as much as other leagues, is an experiment. The formula isn't 100% realistic (no "at-large" bids) and recruiting players seems to be not easy for human GMs.
Pretty much it's the same with other junior leagues that won't sign many players. We need a new game update for some bugs to get fixed, most likely.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
NCAA problem is fixed. The thing is that we need to import back things in 07 DB and so on, it's a process that can get up to 1-2 days. Sorry for the wait, but it'll be worth it.

Not sure if you guys ever need help with covering certain leagues. But being based in the Midwest I'm able to follow the USHL/NAHL leagues weekly.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Not sure if you guys ever need help with covering certain leagues. But being based in the Midwest I'm able to follow the USHL/NAHL leagues weekly.

I think they'd appreciate it! I started the templates for those two leagues to be playable and used EP stats and current rosters, some HF insights and college commitment lists to put together the overall framework of the leagues and setup the future college commitments in the config file. But I'm no scout.

I should have the NAHL and an updated USHL (with current rosters and commitments) for Alessandro to potentially incorporate by next week and then maybe you can be the roster guy to tweak ratings and add to once the framework is done?

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I make it simple. Only line tactic and if there are some guys with Wristshot and slapshot about 19 or 20, change to "shooting machine". You know, this option .... Dont know how its name.
And it works. Now i have some players, that will attack 800 goals in career, maybe 900.

I made Ovechkin a shooting machine in my current sim. He's lead the league in shots and goals every year he's been in the league, with a career high of 107 goals and 201 points in 2016-2017. :amazed:

Normally my top scorers only put up 40-50 goals every year but in this one Ovechkin is doing things I've never seen in hundreds of hours of EHM. It's fun to watch.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
My biggest gripe with the game right now is the "We don't want to trade for this guy because he hasn't seen much action lately" mechanic that was recently put in.

I'm just trying to move some 4th line/healthy scratch guys around for late draft picks or mediocre prospects to free up some roster space but no team will touch them because they don't get playing time.

Can't wait for this new DB to come out!

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I think they'd appreciate it! I started the templates for those two leagues to be playable and used EP stats and current rosters, some HF insights and college commitment lists to put together the overall framework of the leagues and setup the future college commitments in the config file. But I'm no scout.

I should have the NAHL and an updated USHL (with current rosters and commitments) for Alessandro to potentially incorporate by next week and then maybe you can be the roster guy to tweak ratings and add to once the framework is done?

Big fan of those leagues. I could for sure add some insight on players who stand out. Wish I knew about this game sooner, would have loved to have given a full season of notes to you guys on each player.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
My biggest gripe with the game right now is the "We don't want to trade for this guy because he hasn't seen much action lately" mechanic that was recently put in.

I'm just trying to move some 4th line/healthy scratch guys around for late draft picks or mediocre prospects to free up some roster space but no team will touch them because they don't get playing time.

Can't wait for this new DB to come out!

It is already on the Steam Workshop. :)

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Ovechkin just beat Gretzky's 50 in 39 record! He scored his 50th of the year in just the 36th game of the season.

He now has 907 goals in 1005 career games. Good for second all time behind Gretzky's 916 goals.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Am I the only one still having issues with the quality of goalies steadily going down over the years?

I'm in 2027 in my database, Price just retired, and aside from Holtby who's nearing retirement himself, there's exactly two other 5 stars goalie in the league. I'm currently stuck with two young guys considered back-ups, and I'm averaging nearly 4 goals a game even though I have five 5 stars defensemen and six 5 stars forwards...

Which brings me to my second point, any NHL caliber goalie will tend to average around .900 SV% at a minimum... My goalies are closer to .850... I think the big issue with young goalies is that there seem to be a bias against physical abilities goalie prospects... It's extremely rare to find prospects with acceleration and speed in the green, and that's usually the stat that's most influenced when they get older. You look at the goalies that are edited manually, and they all have good physical stats... But then it goes to **** when you get further down the line and you need to draft randomly generated players...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Am I the only one still having issues with the quality of goalies steadily going down over the years?

I'm in 2027 in my database, Price just retired, and aside from Holtby who's nearing retirement himself, there's exactly two other 5 stars goalie in the league. I'm currently stuck with two young guys considered back-ups, and I'm averaging nearly 4 goals a game even though I have five 5 stars defensemen and six 5 stars forwards...

Which brings me to my second point, any NHL caliber goalie will tend to average around .900 SV% at a minimum... My goalies are closer to .850... I think the big issue with young goalies is that there seem to be a bias against physical abilities goalie prospects... It's extremely rare to find prospects with acceleration and speed in the green, and that's usually the stat that's most influenced when they get older. You look at the goalies that are edited manually, and they all have good physical stats... But then it goes to **** when you get further down the line and you need to draft randomly generated players...

Thats correct. Goalies are also a little bit overlooked. Never saw a 92 % in a season from some new game-genereted hyped goalies. Vezina is for a 90 % season.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This is also due to the fact that most goalies, and consequently regens too, are not rated with attributes. If anyone would join the research, we'd have a good DB but most of people is just happy to play the game and complain.

Not sure I understand that part.

As for people not contributing to research and only complaining, I'm sorry, but I consider myself a customer, not a developer. I share my thoughts on this board knowing Riz comes around sometimes, and hopefully to make the game better in the long run. I don't feel the responsibility to join the research when I bought the game to play it.

Which isn't to say I, alongside everyone else, very much appreciate the incredible work everyone involved in the TBL updates, and all the other add-ons, have done. But as far as I'm concerned, I certainly am happy playing the game and giving some remarks in this thread every once in a while. Should I have part ownership of the game franchise to have the right to complain in this thread? Is that what this is about?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Not sure I understand that part.
I suspect that what Alessandro's getting at (perhaps I'm wrong/I don't want to speak for him! just offering my own thoughts) is a number of Attributes remain the same from start-up to regens, so if they're not rated (i.e. have "0" at start-up) and they get a low rating at start-up they'll continue to have the ongoing issue forever (if they get a low value in say Consistency, they'll remain inconsistent forever)

Regarding the "people not contributing to research and only complaining" while I can see your point I have to admit a huge part of why I've essentially given up on the researching is the complaining/lack of appreciation (it's one developer, working part time/on his own time, and the game costs $20 and has for years now, in comparison to say FHM, which at this point would have cost $120, and in a few months $160, over the same time period)

I'd think there'd be more "understanding" regarding EHM
As a former "primary researcher" it's the complaining/negativity that sucked the enjoyment out of it for me...if your goal is to exercise your rights (which I agree you have!) than nothing to worry about, if it's to get the best possible EHM...I believe that the approach you're talking isn't actually helpful/beneficial to your end goal

I do see your point
But the end result of the last couple years is there's actually less researchers than there was with EHM07 (I quit awhile ago myself, in large part because the posts of other users made me feel unappreciated and "what's the point")

You have every right to your viewpoint (as do others who feel the same way), but IMO the end result is actually you get less of what you want not more (and IMO in comparison to other games, at $20 and no extra costs despite game improvements/new rosters over multiple years, you get great value even with every problem that exists)

Should I have part ownership of the game franchise to have the right to complain in this thread? Is that what this is about?
No, of course not! but it may explain why those working hard for free might take the opportunity to appeal for more researchers/support

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Let the free market prevail then...find some people that want to contribute and can put out a quality product and then charge for it...

People that want quality will pay for quality...researchers that want to be appreciated will produce a quality product...

Just saying it aloud in case it rings true to someone...I have hundreds of scouting reports on my computer (and written on programs, notepads, napkins...I have a problem...) and I've dabbled in trying to apply this to attributes...

Two things stop me: time, naturally. And two, I don't always find the game play mechanics of the game to match what I would expect from the attributes put in. In other words, there's certain things that happen in the game that don't happen or can't happen or aren't programmed in an agreeable way to me...though I certainly enjoy the game and play it regularly, there's some tactical/chemistry/development type tweaks that I would love to make...that's perfect world stuff though...

Any way, people are free to expound upon my main idea if worthy of such...

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I suspect that what Alessandro's getting at (perhaps I'm wrong/I don't want to speak for him! just offering my own thoughts) is a number of Attributes remain the same from start-up to regens, so if they're not rated (i.e. have "0" at start-up) and they get a low rating at start-up they'll continue to have the ongoing issue forever (if they get a low value in say Consistency, they'll remain inconsistent forever)

This is exactly what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad