Eastside Hockey Manager - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Ever had an RFA whose rights you own just no-sell your bid?

I qualified, and offered Koko what he asked for after getting him via trade from Boston, and he's not responding. This was in early July and now it's late August. It's still listed as a bid.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Ever had an RFA whose rights you own just no-sell your bid?

I qualified, and offered Koko what he asked for after getting him via trade from Boston, and he's not responding. This was in early July and now it's late August. It's still listed as a bid.

Remove it and try again.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I'm reposting this as it spent so little time in the last thread before it was closed, and it represents thousands of hours of testing and the most insight given yet into the inner workings of EHM1...

Greetings!

You may have heard me say before that EHM1 is a lot different than EHM07 "under the hood"
Recently I received permission from Riz to publicly share one of the significant differences!

Most if not all of us are aware that there are now "Player Roles" in EHM1
This is new - each Player Role has certain Attributes that are Key, Essential, Non-Essential, Irrelevant and Regular

There's a thread with charts showing the above http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...213864#p213864

There's also three threads showing testing data (at 6 different CA levels) for a number of Player Roles and their Attributes
Forwards http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16776
Defensemen http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16775
Goaltenders http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16774

You may also find interesting/informative a researching guide I put together http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16778

And finally, here's a thread with me promoting the value of a user created "underdatabase" (rather than letting the game create the added extra players/staff needed to fully fill out the EHM world) http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16779

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Question..

Under my downloads section in the game, I have TBL rosters version 8.2. But when I go to start a new game, and pick a database, the TBL roster says version 7.3.

How do I get the latest version of their rosters to run in a new game?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Question..

Under my downloads section in the game, I have TBL rosters version 8.2. But when I go to start a new game, and pick a database, the TBL roster says version 7.3.

How do I get the latest version of their rosters to run in a new game?
Easiest way would be to subscribe to version 8.2 from within the Steam Workshop

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Anyone else being having their game affected by this bug which stops background leagues running fixtures? Players aren't playing any games in feeder leagues.

It's been reported and seems a bit of gamebreak if affected, I don't know whether to start a new game and risk it happening or wait for a patch which may or may not be forthcoming.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm reposting this as it spent so little time in the last thread before it was closed, and it represents thousands of hours of testing and the most insight given yet into the inner workings of EHM1...

Greetings!

You may have heard me say before that EHM1 is a lot different than EHM07 "under the hood"
Recently I received permission from Riz to publicly share one of the significant differences!

Most if not all of us are aware that there are now "Player Roles" in EHM1
This is new - each Player Role has certain Attributes that are Key, Essential, Non-Essential, Irrelevant and Regular

There's a thread with charts showing the above http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...213864#p213864

There's also three threads showing testing data (at 6 different CA levels) for a number of Player Roles and their Attributes
Forwards http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16776
Defensemen http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16775
Goaltenders http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16774

You may also find interesting/informative a researching guide I put together http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16778

And finally, here's a thread with me promoting the value of a user created "underdatabase" (rather than letting the game create the added extra players/staff needed to fully fill out the EHM world) http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...?f=110&t=16779

Links are broken :(

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Not easy to tank in this game.

I started as the Leafs and traded off guys like Phaneuf, PA, Lupul, etc, and towards the end of the season I was running a defense that had two depth cowards on it because I had gutted so much of the roster. I still ended up finishing 6th from the bottom.

Luckily I won the third lottery spot. But I was annoyed because I wanted the Leafs to select Matthews. I ended up trading for the first pick and paying a kings ransom to Carolina. I think the cost was JVR, four first round picks (I had acquired three during the year) as well as two really good prospects.

I managed to retain the third overall pick, though and was able to select Laine. He dropped from 2 to 3 in the draft (rankings).

The rebuild is underway, but I had to make a few FA signings because I was well below the cap floor. (Lucic and Byfuglien for 5 years each)

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
About that 1998 roster,

Are the drafted players' potential the same as in real life, or is it somewhat randomized?

So far I've been targeting some established current players in the drafts, but some of them don't seem to really develop.

Vincent Lecavalier

Jul 3, 2016
Ile Blizzard
About that 1998 roster,

Are the drafted players' potential the same as in real life, or is it somewhat randomized?

So far I've been targeting some established current players in the drafts, but some of them don't seem to really develop.

Randomised i believe, most prospects are at a -x in the database.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Anyone else being having their game affected by this bug which stops background leagues running fixtures? Players aren't playing any games in feeder leagues.

It's been reported and seems a bit of gamebreak if affected, I don't know whether to start a new game and risk it happening or wait for a patch which may or may not be forthcoming.

Yes this is happening to me not sure what to do.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
About that 1998 roster,

It's the same as a regular (TBL) database, players under 24 have a randomized PA (there's just a lot more players under 24! HaHa

The random PA is within an appropriate range, so superstars won't be complete scrubs, and scrubs won't be superstars, but there will be variability (which results in better replayability)

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Randomised i believe, most prospects are at a -x in the database.

It's the same as a regular (TBL) database, players under 24 have a randomized PA (there's just a lot more players under 24! HaHa

The random PA is within an appropriate range, so superstars won't be complete scrubs, and scrubs won't be superstars, but there will be variability (which results in better replayability)

The thing I'm wondering is for guys like Stefan and Dipietro who are still considered some of the best prospects in their respective draft years, does it take into account the fact they both essentially turned into bust later on in their career?

I picked Lundqvist over Dipietro in my draft (both were ranked in the top 5) and Dipietro has developed more over the past few seasons. Lundqvist even dropped to a 4 stars rating in potential.

All in all, it's an amazing "mod". I'm mad I forgot about Datsyuk in the first draft, he's already one of the best centers in the league at 22. I nabbed a lot of guys in Europe like Lubomir Visnovsky, Tim Thomas, Vyborny and Rafalski (who's a bit underrated, I feel). Signed guys like Jeff Halpern and Craig Adams as FAs and they are now considered 5 stars defensive forwards.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The thing I'm wondering is for guys like Stefan and Dipietro who are still considered some of the best prospects in their respective draft years, does it take into account the fact they both essentially turned into bust later on in their career?

I picked Lundqvist over Dipietro in my draft (both were ranked in the top 5) and Dipietro has developed more over the past few seasons. Lundqvist even dropped to a 4 stars rating in potential.

All in all, it's an amazing "mod". I'm mad I forgot about Datsyuk in the first draft, he's already one of the best centers in the league at 22. I nabbed a lot of guys in Europe like Lubomir Visnovsky, Tim Thomas, Vyborny and Rafalski (who's a bit underrated, I feel). Signed guys like Jeff Halpern and Craig Adams as FAs and they are now considered 5 stars defensive forwards.

Dipietro would be a star goalie if not for the injuries (which may not happen in your game).

Lundqvist is as top 5 goalie in one of my game at age 23-24.

Craig Adams was barely NHL quality.

Every game you see different outcomes.

One problem I have is the revenues not going up very fast for the new teams, which mean I was still stuck with a 34M budget in 03-04 and couldn't sign any player over 3.5M.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The editing done by CJ and I does not replicate busts 100% if they were a bust IRL, but the opportunity for a bust is there

For example, the top goalies who performed as such would likely have a -10 (Potential Ability is between 170-200) or -9 (Potential Ability 150-180)

A similar rated goalie in his draft year who was a bust may be given a -15 (Potential Ability 110-190) or maybe a -14 (Potential Ability 90-160)

DiPietro has a -14 PA (90-160)
Lundqvist has a -10 PA (170-200)

Seems likely that DiPietro got the highest possible PA and has had "all the breaks" go his way, and Lundqvist because of development/training and/or playing time and/or competition and/or team quality/style of play and/or injuries is struggling.....but goaltenders develop more at an older age than skaters, so maybe there's still time for King Henrik to shine

Rafalski (who's a bit underrated, I feel).
I've moved on to other projects, but CJ's still working on the 1998 database, but I don't think he ever comes to this forum....suggestions for improvements or issues noticed should be posted in this thread http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11698&p=214091#p214091

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The editing done by CJ and I does not replicate busts 100% if they were a bust IRL, but the opportunity for a bust is there

For example, the top goalies who performed as such would likely have a -10 (Potential Ability is between 170-200) or -9 (Potential Ability 150-180)

A similar rated goalie in his draft year who was a bust may be given a -15 (Potential Ability 110-190) or maybe a -14 (Potential Ability 90-160)

DiPietro has a -14 PA (90-160)
Lundqvist has a -10 PA (170-200)

Seems likely that DiPietro got the highest possible PA and has had "all the breaks" go his way, and Lundqvist because of development/training and/or playing time and/or competition and/or team quality/style of play and/or injuries is struggling.....but goaltenders develop more at an older age than skaters, so maybe there's still time for King Henrik to shine

I've moved on to other projects, but CJ's still working on the 1998 database, but I don't think he ever comes to this forum....suggestions for improvements or issues noticed should be posted in this thread http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11698&p=214091#p214091

Alright, thanks for all the answers!

It's still early in Lundqvist's case, I agree. Only 21 years old, and the scouts recommendations are really all over the place. One day he's the next Hasek, the next he's Chris Osgood. I'll wait and see.

Luongo is the goalie that really took off like crazy in my game. A few stats already at 20.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Something I noticed in the 1998 roster, and I don't know if it counts as a glitch or if it's intended to work that way, but some high profile prospects inexplicably fall at the draft. Kovalchuk was by far the best prospect in his draft year and went 8th overall.

In 2004, Drew Stafford went 1st overall as an unranked prospect ahead of Malkin (2nd) and Ovechkin (7th).

In the WHL draft, Crosby went 4th overall despite being ranked a 4 star at like 15 years old, and he's currently ranked 3rd overall in the 2005 draft behind Letang and Price.

ThatNavyGuy

Mar 6, 2012
Yeah the potentials for the 1998-99 DB are all randomized(-## levels, so generally the Crosbys, Ovechkins, Lundqvists were -9s/-10s, while some were -14/-15 Potentials).

I simmed one out to present day just to see what happens and it's actually pretty cool to see some "Star" players BUST and some lesser known guys turn into something

Stanley Cup Winners
1998-99 - Colorado Avalanche over Buffalo
1999-00 - Colorado over Toronto
2000-01 - New York Islanders over St. Louis Blues
2001-02 - Detroit over New Jersey
2002-03 - Calgary Flames over New Jersey
2003-04 - New York Rangers over Phoenix
2004-05 - San Jose Sharks over New Jersey
2005-06 - San Jose Sharks over New York Islanders
2006-07 - Colorado over Buffalo
2007-08 - Vancouver over Tampa Bay
2008-09 - Vancouver over Washington
2009-10 - Carolina over Colorado
2010-11 - Carolina over Columbus
2011-12 - Pittsburgh over Los Angeles
2012-13 - Carolina over Colorado
2013-14 - Vancouver over Islanders
2014-15 - Toronto over Los Angeles
2015-16 - Pittsburgh over Colorado
2016-17 - Philadelphia over Colorado
2017-18 - Toronto over St. Louis

Broken Records
Scott Niedermayer broke Gordie Howe's Most Games played record(1807)
Jagr was 44 Goals away from Wayne Gretzky's Goals scored(860)(Fun Fact: Played every season but two in Pittsburgh)
Brodeur never broke Roy's record

Notable Draft
- Patrik Stefan(1st, Columbus) - Played 135 Games in the NHL scoring 26 Goals, 21 Assists
- Dany Heatley(11th, Ana) - sitting at 420 Goals(Playing with Buffalo), 13 straight 20+ goal seasons
- Panthers drafted Kirill Safronov with pick 17, never even sniffed the NHL locker rooms, played 4 AHL seasons then disappeared to the RSL
- Mark Streit went 182nd and had a very good career, currently playing in Philadelphia

- Marian Gaborik(1st, Minnesota) - Currently playing for the Islanders. 1079GP-504G-416A-920PTS
- King Hank went 2nd to COlumbus who traded him after a few seasons to Colorado
- Rick DiPietro went to Carolina(8th ovr) and actually has had a decent career in CAR, NYR and OTT(261-277, 2.84GAA, 88.9SV%)

- Stephen Weiss(CBJ) went 1st Overall to Columbus and has scored 965 Points in 1169 games,
- Kovalchuk went 11th to Buffalo where he's spent his entire career, scoring 25+ goals a season his entire career(15 seasons).
- Alexander Svitov went 12th overall(NSH) and BUSTED HARD
- Rinne(TB), Plekanec(BOS), Mikko Koivu(MIN)(Not an all-star career) and Duncan Keith(VAN) rounded out the top 5
- Derek Roy was a career AHLer, as was Brooks Laich

- Mark Giordano was the 1st selection(BOS), follower by Steen(MIN), Parise(CBJ), Bouwmeester(CAR) and Lupul(CHI), all had great careers.
- Filppula and Jonathan Ericsson were the notable busts
- An unknown, Garnet Harris was the top scorer out of the 2002 group and his PA/CA ended up being a 194
- Real Players that Busted: Mark Stuart, Matt Moulson, Max Talbot, Jummy Howard, David Clarkson, Daniel Paille
- Frans Nielsen nearly put up 1000 and could reach that mark
- No late round surprises

- Patrice Bergeron(CBJ), E.Staal(MIN), Getzlaf(VAN), Perry(NSH) and Weber(TOR) were the top 5 picks. Staal is almost at 500 goals
- Ryan Callahan and Marc-Andre Fleury were 1st round busts!
- Joey Fleming and Sean Yeo were the unknowns who became great!
- Notable Busts: Coburn, Horton, Goligoski, Zherdev, Booth, M.Lapierre
- No late round surprises

- C.Schneider(CBJ), D.Dubnyk(WPG), D.Desharnais(CHI), D.Boyd(VAN) and E.Malkin(TOR) were the top 5
- Scneider and Dubnyk had excellent careers. Desharnais and Boyd...not so much
- Malkin has only put up 688 points in 932 games
- Ovechkin went 9th to Philadelphia(400 goals in 1011 games)(CA: 178)
- 1st Round Busts: Andrew Ladd, Matt Read, V.Stalberg, D.Stafford, T.Kennedy
- 1st Round Unknown: Mike Monardo(LD/RD) put up 499 Points and was a +119
- Other busts: Paul Stastny, B.Wheeler, Smid, Emelin, A.MacDonald, Versteeg

- The Draft everyone was waiting for: Tampa Bay won the lottery and selected Sidney Crosby. Price(TOR), Niskanen(WPG), M.Staal(CHI), and K.Letang(WSH) were 2-5.
- Crosby(PA: 181) has put up 787 points in 969 games with Tampa Bay, Chicago and Montreal(Currently 31 years old)
- Notable 1st Round Busts: Leo Komarov(8th), Niclas Bergfors(24th), Trevor Lewis(25th), Adam McQuaid(29)
- Unknowns: Calvin Richardson(LD)(498 Points, +45), Pierre-Claude Gabison(750+ NHL Games)
- Notable Busts: Cody Franson, Martin Hanzal, Jack Johnson, Nathan Gerbe

- Claude Giroux(VAN), Bryan Little(TB), Jonathan Toews(WPG), David Perron(CBJ) and Jordan Staal(NSH) were 1-5
- Giroux has put up 888 points in 916 games(CA: 175), the rest of the top 5 have had very good careers.
- Notable Busts: Michael Frolik
- Unknowns: Jori Lehtera(573 points in 851 NHL games), Dmititri Alexeyev(455/796), Jordan McKay(473/740), Graham Georges(528/680)
- Notable Busts: Marhcand, Shawn Matthias, Varlamov, Anisimov, Bernier, Erik Johnson, Clutterbuck, Lack, Wingels, Hagelin, Steve Mason

- Subban(FLA), Kane(CAR), Stirling Frederick?(EDM)(176PA), J.Muzzin(CBJ), L.Couture(Kings). VERY STRONG DRAFT
- Notable 1st round Busts: Mikael Backlund(30th)
- Unknowns: Gordan Linard, Francesco Sawyer, Christian Hedlund, Bernard Slukynsky, George Arvanitis
- Notable Busts: Lars Eller, Keaton Ellerby

- Stamkos(PHX), Karlsson(FLA), Pietrangelo(PIT), Jake Allen(EDM)(BUST) and TJ Brodie(CHI)
- Doughty went 6th to Nashville
- Notable 1st round busts: Zac Dalpe(9th), Matt Calvert(20th)
- Notable Busts: Boedker, Sbisa, F.Andersen, M.Jones, Colborne, Tyler Myers, J.Gardiner, Jimmy Hayes

-Duchene(ARZ), Tavares(FLA), Richard Denizeau(LA), Hedman(BUF), and J.Josefson(NSH)
- Great players so far.
- Notable 1st Round busts: Brayden Schenn(11th) and Jordan Caron(28th)
- Notable Busts: Nazem Kadri, Andrew Shaw, M.Paajarvi, Chris Kreider, C.de Haan, J.Cowen

- Hall(FLA), Seguin(PIT), Johansen(MTL), Riley Sheahan(CGY) and C.Fowler(NSH)
- Early but no real 1st Round busts
- Mikael Granlund busted hard
- Kuznetsov went 43rd but has become solid

- Scheifele(SJ), V.Rask(ANA)(BUST), R.Krykov(STL), J.Huberdeau(WSH), D.Hamilton(MTL)
- John Gibson(Won Cup with Philly)
- Trocheck went 113, but is a great player

- M.Rielly(ANA), E.Jones(CGY)(BUST), Esa Lindell(TB), Carle Wallin(EDM), T.Teravainen(CBJ)
- Yakupov went 31st

- Drouin(ANA), Monahan(CBJ), MacKinnon(OTT), S.Jones(MTL), Ristolainen(EDM)
- Busts: Jacob de La Rose, Frederik Gauthier

- Ekblad(BOS), Juho Lammikko(MIN), S.Reinhart(PHX), B.Perlini(ANA), M.Smithson(CBJ)
-Busts: D.Pastrnak, Travis Sanheim,

- M.Marner(ANA), Mason Lavigne(CGY), B.Perry(BOS), aaad Niklasson(OTT), D.Strome(NJ)
- Connor went 10th Overall to Minnesota (PA 173)
- BUSTS: Kyle Connor, Timo Meier
- Late round surprises seem to be happening

Time for the REALLY BIG SURPRISE
- Erik Hovland(CHI), Pierre-Luc Dubois(SJ), Mark Brown(TB), Patrik Laine(NYI) and Logan Brown(DET)
- Puljujarvi went 8th to Ottawa
- The Man everyone wants to know where he ended up: Austin Matthews somehow went all the way to Pick 46 before he was selected. Crazy thing is his PA IS 196!!!!!!!!!

Nolan Patrick went 1st overall to the Isles and Gabe Vilardi went to Chicago.

HALL OF FAME
Few surprises: Mike York(843 points in 1287 games), Jonathan Cheechoo(823 in 1230), Janne Niinimaa, Oleg Tverdovsky, Sheldon Souray, Derek Morris, Marc Savard, Tom Poti, Kyle McLaren, Todd Bertuzzi(LOL), Pavol Demitra(RIP), Derian Hatcher, Vaclav Prospal, Sami Kapanen, Valeri Bure, Patrice Brisebois, Jeff Friesen, Sami Salo, Boris Mironov, Michael Peca, Dmitry Yushkevich, Mikael Renberg, Keith Primeau, Dan McGillis, Slava Kozlav, Rod "The Bod" Brind'Amour, Eric Desjardins(WOOT), Felix the Cat, John LeClair(THE WHOLE LEGION OF DOOM!!!!), Sean Burke

Things I've noticed:
-Head Coaches are lacking in terms of skills(LOTS OF RATINGS Below 10), Head Coaches move up to GM position, but there aren't many A.Coaches that are up to snuff for Head Coaching. Assitant coaches are ok...not a lot of 17+ in the C.Fwd/C.Def/C.G attributes
- Scouting is fine(I have 77 pages worth of scouts to work with. Majority of the NHL Level scouts are 15+ in at least one of the key ratings
-

Overall REally awesome DB! Love seeing the difference between this and the real world. Seeing stars from the pasts bust and no names turn into stars is pretty neat

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Things I've noticed:
-Head Coaches are lacking in terms of skills(LOTS OF RATINGS Below 10), Head Coaches move up to GM position, but there aren't many A.Coaches that are up to snuff for Head Coaching. Assitant coaches are ok...not a lot of 17+ in the C.Fwd/C.Def/C.G attributes
- Scouting is fine(I have 77 pages worth of scouts to work with. Majority of the NHL Level scouts are 15+ in at least one of the key ratings
FYI - Known issue

I simply ran out of time/energy for the project...I actually ran out of gas for it months ago, and if it had been just a "solo project" I would have "put it on the shelf" and it wouldn't have been released anytime soon (the idea of "getting back to it" is always there for such projects, but...I'm getting back to the 1974 database now FOUR YEARS LATER! HaHa so I thought continuing on and getting something released "as is" was better than not)

I actually created the underdatabase (of over 20,000 players and staff) and edited NHL Staff (what I did get to) all in the last few days before release

Overall REally awesome DB! Love seeing the difference between this and the real world. Seeing stars from the pasts bust and no names turn into stars is pretty neat
Glad you're enjoying it!

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Something I noticed in the 1998 roster, and I don't know if it counts as a glitch or if it's intended to work that way, but some high profile prospects inexplicably fall at the draft. Kovalchuk was by far the best prospect in his draft year and went 8th overall.

In 2004, Drew Stafford went 1st overall as an unranked prospect ahead of Malkin (2nd) and Ovechkin (7th).

In the WHL draft, Crosby went 4th overall despite being ranked a 4 star at like 15 years old, and he's currently ranked 3rd overall in the 2005 draft behind Letang and Price.
I don't "know" this, but perhaps it connects to things like Team Needs/Coaches preference (or whatever "preferences" the system that ranks players uses) AND what the numbers looked like at that particular moment in time (as to the game they're all numbers, with no connection to the possible/likely potential based on the name like we have)

To me, given all the variability that's "under the hood" and all the factors that come into play, what you're describing sounds like what we'd want to happen/what's expected to happen (EHM is NOT in any way an attempt at an "actual historical replay" like Action PC Hockey or even like FHM with their NHL only historical model using recalc.....I'd describe it as taking you back in time to a specific point, and then going forward from there "like an alternate universe" replaying the past - but it's not "exactly the same" as what actually happened and it's not supposed to be)

Doesn't mean there's not room for improvement! The Drew Stafford example seems a bit "off" IMO.....we're definitely still learning how EHM1 works and how to best edit it, and EHM was never made with retro databases in consideration (and at the same time Riz is still making tweaks/changes, making it a challenge! HaHa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad