Series Discussion: Eastern Conference Finals: Caps vs. TBL

Who and how many?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's more that Tampa Bay has a more distributed top nine compared to Pittsburgh, particularly with Malkin & Kessel not quite right and at least what seemed to be an overall tiring as the series went. Credit the Caps for not giving Pittsburgh anything easy but it's only going to get more challenging from here. Both teams are hungry and believe in themselves. IINM their fourth-line is Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan so it's more of an energy/forechecking line than finesse. But players like Killorn & Gourde are pretty solid to have on a third-line.

That team has the expectations. They made one of the biggest deadline deals in recent memory adding both McDonagh & Miller. They're the favorites. The Caps are just going to go in and see what happens. Maybe the Caps can handle their skill/puck movement and find ways to counter them. We'll see. I haven't dug into Tampa Bay's system but you'd think many of the same concepts from the PIT series will apply in trying to slow them down and make it a 200 ft. game.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Are Boston and Tampa paper tigers?

I figured that since they played in a Division that had 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league (Buf, FL, Ott, Mon), a portion of their point totals would have come from matches against the league's weaklings. Somewhat surprisingly, their records against those squads were about on par with their performances against the rest of the league. They garnered 21 and 22 points, respectively, in 16 matches against their lowly division opponents. Those results factor out to 108 pts for Bsn (they finished with 112) and 113 for TBL (also their actual total). I thought those two teams would've cleaned up against the four losers. Maybe because teams get up for intra-Division matches, TB & Bsn didn't overwhem them.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I think the Caps rookies really made a difference in that they were fresh legs. Burakovsky could come back with incredibly fresh legs, Backstrom got an extra couple days off to rest up, and Wilson will have had 10 days rest on Friday. To insert that freshness in the top six would be nice. Having said all that, I do not expect Burky back game 1 and Backstrom is a 50/50 proposition and that is only if he wishes to play through it.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Couldn't find the "Tom Wilson" thread, so will post it here. Discuss.
What We Learned: Assessing Tom Wilson's true impact

I don't disagree with all the points he makes, but to say that the Caps shield Wilson from defensive zone faceoffs because of his defense when he is on a line with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin is beyond ludicrous. I really hope that guy doesn't get a vote for any awards.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
My fear of Willy in game 7, was that he would be a headcase. Gun shy to be himself. Go about things but have to go out of his way to not hit. Eventually just scaring guys into turnovers will dry up. I think we may unfortunately see some of the same vs Tampa. He got em' lopped off folks.

I want him back on his saddle asap. He may actually feel more comfortable! As long as he doesn't target anyone smaller than him, I think he will be fine. THE most suspensionary place for him, is Pitt in Pitt on peNBC. Good riddance we got out of that hellhole with only one suspension.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Game 1: Capitals at Lightning
Date: Friday, May 11
Time: 8:00 p.m. ET
TV Channel: NBCSN (Channel Finder)
How To Watch Live Streaming: NBC Sports App Live Stream
Radio: Capitals Radio Network (1500 AM)

Game 2: Capitals at Lightning
Date: Sunday, May 13
TV Channel: NBC (Channel Finder)

Game 3: Lightning at Capitals
Date: Tuesday, May 15

Game 4: Lightning at Capitals
Date: Thursday, May 17

Game 5 (If Necessary): Capitals at Lightning
Date: Saturday, May 19
Time: 7:15 p.m. ET
TV Channel: NBC (Channel Finder)

Game 6 (If Necessary): Lightning at Capitals
Date: Monday, May 21

Game 7 (If Necessary): Capitals at Lightning:
Date: Wednesday, May 23

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Are Boston and Tampa paper tigers?

I figured that since they played in a Division that had 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league (Buf, FL, Ott, Mon), a portion of their point totals would have come from matches against the league's weaklings. Somewhat surprisingly, their records against those squads were about on par with their performances against the rest of the league. They garnered 21 and 22 points, respectively, in 16 matches against their lowly division opponents. Those results factor out to 108 pts for Bsn (they finished with 112) and 113 for TBL (also their actual total). I thought those two teams would've cleaned up against the four losers. Maybe because teams get up for intra-Division matches, TB & Bsn didn't overwhem them.

TBay also had 6 shootout wins. Caps had 3. Take those out (no shootouts in the playoffs and pray there never will be) and TBay only finished 5 points ahead of the Caps, in a extremely top heavy division. Toronto had 7 shootout wins, as well.

They took scarier than they really are. They are still really, really good but they are not unbeatable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't disagree with all the points he makes, but to say that the Caps shield Wilson from defensive zone faceoffs because of his defense when he is on a line with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin is beyond ludicrous. I really hope that guy doesn't get a vote for any awards.

Tom Wilson needs to be shielded defensively? That is crazy.

Reactions: Koized

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
8 o’ clock games when I have to work at 550 each day

Fufuffuufufufufufudufuffufufufufufu

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Couldn't find the "Tom Wilson" thread, so will post it here. Discuss.
What We Learned: Assessing Tom Wilson's true impact
Clearly had a bone to pick about Wilson and used as many stats as possible to fit his narrative. For example, he says Wilson takes a lot of penalties but refuses to acknowledge that he also draws a ton of calls too. Based on the comments, a lot of people disagreed with the article and for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad