Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Final G1: Caps @ Bolts | 5/11/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
You guys aren't happy unless you can use your lame turtle comment. Come on already. Get some new material. The whole turtle thing is getting old. Or is that the only terminology you know?

You should save this argument for when the "lame turtle comment" doesn't apply. There's no question that we let up to start the third. Prevent defense, as it were. And it's especially bad versus an explosive team like Tampa. We were not forechecking or transitioning with any urgency, so it was all punch from TB and no counterpunch from us. That's a recipe for disaster.

We generally seemed to right the ship for the most part as the period progressed, but we've seen this too often from Trotz. This wasn't our roster letting off the gas or getting outplayed. This was systems; a conscious choice from the coaches. Trotz needs to keep the throttle on against this team. We went from breaking their spirit to giving them something to salvage and build on. The crowd was absolutely silent at the end of he 2nd but rocking well before the midpoint of the third.

Textbook turtling. We really need to not do that anymore. The best way to beat Tampa is to get them on their heels, playing in their zone, forcing them to deal with us instead of letting them dictate the pace and tone. Proactive, not reactive.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Wow, I was so nervous, that I decided to watch the final score, after Eller's goal. Because I was like, if we lost the game, I want to know it now and not in one hour, it would be more painful.

What a game from the boys.

I didn't realised until today, that the Bolts are very hateable. As an organization, they are fine + they have Stevie Y + russians but when you look more at their roster, there is too many ex rangers on the team + that POS Kunitz.

With that win, Nick will have 3 more extra days to recover.

ps: Am I the only one who thinks, if we play against the Pens or the Rangers, the game is tied 1:1 after the 1st period? And the too many men go unnoticed?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Have not read this whole thread, was busy. Maybe someone mentioned the hit by Miller on Wilson? TW made a point of staying low, showing his intentions early, and staying level. The result was Miller rose up through the hit and caught Wilson high enough to flip him backward.

So every other player in the league is allowed to explode or rise into hits, but TW isn't because people can't take it when he does.

Seriously, when did this staying down thing become part of the rule? It used to be about not launching/jumping, but there's a difference between staying in some static crouch position and not jumping into a hit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bolts org banned ticket buyers from D.C. area codes and forbade capitals colors in Tampa.

I don't think they enforced that. They showed a group of Caps fans in their red getting a pick taken outside the arena on the pregame show. After Ov's PPG I saw in the background a Caps fan in road white near the glass standing and facing the crowd with arms raised.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Have not read this whole thread, was busy. Maybe someone mentioned the hit by Miller on Wilson? TW made a point of staying low, showing his intentions early, and staying level. The result was Miller rose up through the hit and caught Wilson high enough to flip him backward.

So every other player in the league is allowed to explode or rise into hits, but TW isn't because people can't take it when he does.

Seriously, when did this staying down thing become part of the rule? It used to be about not launching/jumping, but there's a difference between staying in some static crouch position and not jumping into a hit.

Its the Tom Wilson rule addendum

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Somebody remind me. What playoffs was it that the Caps were scored against with a solid 6 skaters on the ice? Was if vs the Rangers. I recall seeing a picture of the too many men posted here

Reactions: calicapsfan

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Great win. Played the best hockey I’ve ever seen them play in periods 1 and 2

Period was a little scary but we still had MANY chances on the other end

Stephenson is looking like a real damn stud. He’s had one hell of a playoffs. He easily could of had 3 goals last night

On to game 2. Tampa will come out blazing and we will need to do the same thing we did against Pitt

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
What Goonitz did to Tom Wilson should be suspension worthy. Snapped his neck back, fall to the ice unexpected and easy to hit your head hard.

Maybe I biased because I still remember that POS cross checking Varly in the head.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kunitz remains a piece of shit. In other news, water remains wet. I was pleasantly surprised they called a penalty on him, to be honest. Figured since it happened against Tom the play was ineligible for a penalty to be called.

As for the team, I've never seen the Caps play with this level of buy in, focus, and execution. Their neutral zone defense is stifling and when teams do dump it in they have 5 defensemen that can get on their horse, retrieve the puck quickly, and make a smart decision to get it away from danger. It makes it really hard to forecheck when the puck is moving before you can get by the hashmarks on attack.

The backchecking is incredible too. A few times it looked like Tampa could have numbers but a forward or multiple forwards were gang buster in getting back. It seemed like the last few years teams (especially Pittsburgh) would repeatedly come in waves with speed through the neutral zone but that hasn't been the case recently.

Sure, they had a few fortuitous bounces offensively tonight but that's what happens when you believe and when you are the constant aggressor. Keep it going.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The backchecking is incredible too.

Yep. Go back to the G6 OT winner against the Pens. It all starts with back pressure from Kuzy that prompts Sid to cough-up the puck. Ovie and Kuzy are transitioning from D to O while the turnover is still in progress making its way to Orly's stick. Orly immediately moves the puck to Ovie who's now in a forward gear and he immediately moves it to Kuzy while the Pens D are still processing that the f***ing puck has been turned over. Pfft - Kuzy is gone.

It was glorious. Exactly how you're supposed to play in today's NHL. And they carried it over last night. The last 2 games you can see that they aren't just thinking this style of play - they're really feeling it in a 2nd nature kind of way. Who knows how long it can last, but it's great to see this stride hit in May, instead of November or January as in years past

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You should save this argument for when the "lame turtle comment" doesn't apply. There's no question that we let up to start the third. Prevent defense, as it were. And it's especially bad versus an explosive team like Tampa. We were not forechecking or transitioning with any urgency, so it was all punch from TB and no counterpunch from us. That's a recipe for disaster.

We generally seemed to right the ship for the most part as the period progressed, but we've seen this too often from Trotz. This wasn't our roster letting off the gas or getting outplayed. This was systems; a conscious choice from the coaches. Trotz needs to keep the throttle on against this team. We went from breaking their spirit to giving them something to salvage and build on. The crowd was absolutely silent at the end of he 2nd but rocking well before the midpoint of the third.

Textbook turtling. We really need to not do that anymore. The best way to beat Tampa is to get them on their heels, playing in their zone, forcing them to deal with us instead of letting them dictate the pace and tone. Proactive, not reactive.
There is a big difference between turtling and an offensive push by your opponent. This wasnt even close to turtling. Really guys. Is that the only hockey term you know. Learn something new.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fans irritated by players that beat their team. Why does the media keep picking up on this? It's nothing new.

Oh right. It's a "reaction" and that's news now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Great win. Played the best hockey I’ve ever seen them play in periods 1 and 2

Period was a little scary but we still had MANY chances on the other end

Stephenson is looking like a real damn stud. He’s had one hell of a playoffs. He easily could of had 3 goals last night

On to game 2. Tampa will come out blazing and we will need to do the same thing we did against Pitt
Stephenson should have had 3 or 4 assists as well. He set up some quality chances. His speed is making a difference.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
ovechkin-crosy-vaultlead.jpg
Ovi is our black hat :D

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I thought Holtby got a hot head after playing in front of a presidents winning roster 2 seasons. I'm very happy he got humbled and is back to Holtbeast. When he's on his game he can be the best in the world, but has to be focused.

Reactions: CapsJunkie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad