Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Final G1: Caps @ Bolts | 5/11/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Nah. I’d sit him until you are 100 percent certain he won’t reinjur it or hurt the team. If that’s game 2, so be it. Backstrom is an elite 2 way center that makes the team instantly better. Sure the caps are playing great without him, but their chances are significantly better when he is in the line up.

I could see us being worse with him back. Simply because they're faster and much more to the point without him. It's the Vegas effect. He's a great player but he shifts the team dynamic and we're not screwed on center depth without him as we would be in years past

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I was wondering why no one talked about Crosby and the Pens tonight.
I watched it on CBC and before the game they talked about Ovi and Crosby head to head in the playoffs and how Crosby owned him and Ovi finally got over the hump this year. It pissed me off. The Pens are out of the playoffs and they are still being talked about

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I agreed with most of Eddie O's assessment tonight, and not usually the case. He just seems a tad slow in processing his thoughts to his words. I'm sure he's still recovering and hope he's getting back to good health.

On the game, the Capitals look extremely well-coached. You could tell they got a bit lackadaisical there at the end but they rebounded quickly. I agreed with--I think it was Randy Holt--who said basically Holtby looked shaky after that goal, I got nervous but the team clamped down. You gotta think too Holtby was due to let a few clunkers in, I'm sure he will be ok, he seems to be unflappable this year. So does the team. It's a different feel. I kind of hate it because I'm getting optimistic. I've been one of Barry's biggest critics but barring a some huge miscalculations I think he deserves to come back. Also Ovi is 2nd in the Conn Smythe race behind Fleury.

EDIT: Puck Daddy has been a hack all season/postseason. I recall him in the past rooting for Ovi but everything this season has seemed to be anti-Caps so f*** him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy seemed like he had a neck after Kunitz ripped his helmet off. No surprise he is still an asshole. I wish the league would take a look if injuries are what drives the witch hunts. The licker in boston didn't get a rise out of the league until they were in damage control, because no one got injured. I bet Callahan is scarred.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I watched it on CBC and before the game they talked about Ovi and Crosby head to head in the playoffs and how Crosby owned him and Ovi finally got over the hump this year. It pissed me off. The Pens are out of the playoffs and they are still being talked about
I know. The Pens lost, so they should start talking about the teams that are left in the playoffs.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hmmm...nice win. :)

It's huge taking home ice advantage away from TBay and to do it in a convincing manner and without Backstrom. Wow!

TBay is going to make adjustments and come out blazing in Game 2.

I hope the Caps will be ready and bring an even greater effort.
The Lightning didn't really adjust in this game. The Caps clogged the neutral zone. You would think Tbay would start dumping the puck in and forecheck hard. The Pens did the same thing in game 6

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
I thought Chaisson had a weak game. A couple bad turnovers, untimely penalty, nothing was really good for him this game. That being said, I don't know if Trotz really wants to change anything.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
My kids are at hockey tryouts tonight out here In LA, so I could only watch bits and pieces. How did 65 look? Also, does 39 sit next game due to all the penalties? And would you plug in walker or Boyd?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Willy seemed like he had a neck after Kunitz ripped his helmet off. No surprise he is still an *******. I wish the league would take a look if injuries are what drives the witch hunts. The licker in boston didn't get a rise out of the league until they were in damage control, because no one got injured. I bet Callahan is scarred.

Yeah, Kunitz continues to be a total jerk. I hope he gets his crushed by a big Willy or Ovie bodycheck and simmers down.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I agreed with most of Eddie O's assessment tonight, and not usually the case. He just seems a tad slow in processing his thoughts to his words. I'm sure he's still recovering and hope he's getting back to good health.

On the game, the Capitals look extremely well-coached. You could tell they got a bit lackadaisical there at the end but they rebounded quickly. I agreed with--I think it was Randy Holt--who said basically Holtby looked shaky after that goal, I got nervous but the team clamped down. You gotta think too Holtby was due to let a few clunkers in, I'm sure he will be ok, he seems to be unflappable this year. So does the team. It's a different feel. I kind of hate it because I'm getting optimistic. I've been one of Barry's biggest critics but barring a some huge miscalculations I think he deserves to come back. Also Ovi is 2nd in the Conn Smythe race behind Fleury.

EDIT: Puck Daddy has been a hack all season/postseason. I recall him in the past rooting for Ovi but everything this season has seemed to be anti-Caps so **** him.
I'm sure this was a tough game for Holtby. He faced very few shots in the first 2 periods then got pampered a bit in the 3rd. A goalie wants to face a few shots early on to get into the game.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
My kids are at hockey tryouts tonight out here In LA, so I could only watch bits and pieces. How did 65 look? Also, does 39 sit next game due to all the penalties? And would you plug in walker or Boyd?

Both over Chiasson and dsp

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
65 meh. Didn't do much. As for Chaisson being benched, I doubt it. He took 2 penalties. One was a bad penalty but I'm not sure it warrants being benched. If I have to plug in someone it would probably be Boyd. He is more versatile. I dontbreally care for Walkers game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Lightning didn't really adjust in this game. The Caps clogged the neutral zone. You would think Tbay would start dumping the puck in and forecheck hard. The Pens did the same thing in game 6
They did try it at times but did seem a tad slow in smartly adapting to it more situationally. In part I think it's because it's not really their game with a few of exceptions. They're more of a flow team. It seemed like the blueline faded slightly there in the third but holding them basically without a shot in the final four minutes was impressive.

On to Game 2...which should be on yet another level. The neutral zone is such a key. No doubt Tampa Bay has more to give in being quicker through it but it's such an asset to be able to frustrate teams via disciplined structure. Hopefully that continues.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Is there a whinier voice in hockey than Stamkos’? I don’t think he’s actually a whiner, but his voice drives me up a wall.
Someone in the Pitt series mentioned that Guentzel has a shrill voice. Have never heard him but he sure looks the part :D

Stammer just has that kind of a voice. Has had some bad breaks (no pun intended). But one of the top snipers in the game.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

In years past, teams could play the Caps any style they wanted and it would work... they could carry the puck in and find space to set up or score off the rush, there was always enough breakdowns each game to cost them that goal or two they couldn't overcome. Or they could dump and chase and establish a forecheck that the Caps D couldn't handle which just wears out the entire team chasing their tails in their own end all day.

This year just seems different. The Caps are clogging the neutral zone like mad, so the other teams set breakouts are going nowhere. So when they dump, the Caps defense is getting back and making the smart, crisp play out of the zone to counter attack. Apparently that team meeting where everyone got their reads back on track really worked, because I haven't seen the Caps play team defense like this, ever! The Ning's two goals came on breakdowns, which should be correctable. But overall this team is playing a stifling form of team defense with speed and cohesiveness that I've never seen from the Caps.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
As for Chaisson being benched, I doubt it. He took 2 penalties. One was a bad penalty but I'm not sure it warrants being benched.

Sorry, but if that was anyone else (especially Vrana), they'd be in the pressbox before they even got off the ice. Chiasson needs to be benched and Backstrom takes his place (if hes healthy), otherwise put kangaroo in the game. Either way, Chiasson looks slow and in over his head.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
d9a2cef7d4cfe71588023771a8fe41bf36043b05127f1fce9d30cccdfce1388d.jpg

Good ol' Beags. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad