Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Final G1: Caps @ Bolts | 5/11/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The best defense is to just not be in your end, I don't understand what's so hard about that. Sitting in your zone getting shelled and giving up rebounds till you either ice the puck, or dump it for a quick line change and repeat, isn't good defense.

Reactions: Drakon

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't have all the answers but I am not second guessing the game plan the coaches put in place.
For people that think the Caps turtled, the first goal Tampa scored was on the pp. The 2nd goal we gave up an odd man rush because we got too aggressive in the offensive zone when it went necessary. That us the exact opposite of turtling and that is why you shouldn't push the offense when you have a 3 or 4 goal lead. I'm not saying they shouldn't play offense. But make the smart play.

But they drew the PP because we turtled and got lazy and slow on the feet and gave them the PP. Like...we turtled to start the third and sent back to a more general use play after the PP goal, but the first 5 or 6 minutes were heavy turtling.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
But they drew the PP because we turtled and got lazy and slow on the feet and gave them the PP. Like...we turtled to start the third and sent back to a more general use play after the PP goal, but the first 5 or 6 minutes were heavy turtling.
I disagree. Every team has their moments during a game where they are outplayed. We would have been better off if we did turtle. Instead we made some poor decisions which cost us at least 1 goal.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
I disagree. Every team has their moments during a game where they are outplayed. We would have been better off if we did turtle. Instead we made some poor decisions which cost us at least 1 goal.

Why didn't we make poor decisions in the first two periods? Answer: We didn't turtle.

Sorry, but they turtled and coughed up 2 goals. It's Trotz hockey, has been since day 1 of his tenure in Nashville and now here.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah no, the other team desperately pushed and maybe the Caps eased up....that’s not turtling. Dumb argument to keep having.

Nah, when Beagle and his line would rather just collapse in front of the Goalie instead of digging for pucks, or when Eller or Kuzya's line would rather dump it at the blue line then attempt to carry it in (and then go for a line change in under 20 seconds), they're turtling.

It's a dumb argument to have because you're on the wrong side of it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
txMD calling for sources on medical diagnoses? What is happening

Sources? No. The eye test is fine. I see a guy that isn't skating. I see no outword sign at all that he can play. Trotz only says the same stuff that he has said before the previous games that he missed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sources? No. The eye test is fine. I see a guy that isn't skating. I see no outword sign at all that he can play. Trotz only says the same stuff that he has said before the previous games that he missed.
He skated three days ago. He's not practising and may not at any point but he's at least travelling with them. It's more about pain management and gaining a greater degree of comfort. He reportedly did want to play through it in Game 6 so I wouldn't rule him out. He'll need the staff to clear him and he hasn't been overly aggressive in trying to play through it based on what he's done when he has skated it seems. It's also hard to say given that we don't really know what they're doing behind the scenes to help manage or treat it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nah, when Beagle and his line would rather just collapse in front of the Goalie instead of digging for pucks, or when Eller or Kuzya's line would rather dump it at the blue line then attempt to carry it in (and then go for a line change in under 20 seconds), they're turtling.

This whole debate confounds me. It's SO easy to see when a team isn't skating as hard for loose pucks or supporting each other the same way. Instead they're gliding, falling back, collapsing, poking, chipping, not pursuing, not hitting...turtling.

I know what a team that's just on its heels due to a surge from the opponent looks like. You don't stop playing your game, you're just a half-beat behind the play/puck. When you turtle everything changes.

This is not some phenomenon we made up here. It's universal to sports. The Capitals are not immune.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He skated three days ago. He's not practising and may not at any point but he's at least travelling with them. It's more about pain management and gaining a greater degree of comfort. He reportedly did want to play through it in Game 6 so I wouldn't rule him out. He'll need the staff to clear him and he hasn't been overly aggressive in trying to play through it based on what he's done when he has skated it seems. It's also hard to say given that we don't really know what they're doing behind the scenes to help manage or treat it.

I saw that he skated that one day. He has not skated since. So, I qualify that as not skating. I realize its hard to say. I am simply saying that after listening to Trotz since before g6 up to now and seeing what Backstrom has actually done, I am looking at as he is not playing until which time he does play rather than anticipating that he will play and then doesn't. I just don't think Backstrom is going to show up unannounced in the lineup one night.

Of course, that is just my read

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
This whole debate confounds me. It's SO easy to see when a team isn't skating as hard for loose pucks or supporting each other the same way. Instead they're gliding, falling back, collapsing, poking, chipping, not pursuing, not hitting...turtling.

I know what a team that's just on its heels due to a surge from the opponent looks like. You don't stop playing your game, you're just a half-beat behind the play/puck. When you turtle everything changes.

This is not some phenomenon we made up here. It's universal to sports. The Capitals are not immune.

Yeah.. one looks like desperation to hang on and the other looks like, we got this let's be lazy as possible and coast the rest of the way.

Reactions: g00n

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

:thumbu:

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I saw that he skated that one day. He has not skated since. So, I qualify that as not skating. I realize its hard to say. I am simply saying that after listening to Trotz since before g6 up to now and seeing what Backstrom has actually done, I am looking at as he is not playing until which time he does play rather than anticipating that he will play and then doesn't. I just don't think Backstrom is going to show up unannounced in the lineup one night.

Of course, that is just my read

There’s always gamesmanship at this time of the year. Both ways. We will see.

I doubt he plays tonite. I’d be very surprised. But he did travel with the team. That alone speaks more volumes than anything, IMO. Unless they thought they needed his morale support (or was part of the gamesmanship)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There’s always gamesmanship at this time of the year. Both ways. We will see.

I doubt he plays tonite. I’d be very surprised. But he did travel with the team. That alone speaks more volumes than anything, IMO. Unless they thought they needed his morale support (or was part of the gamesmanship)

Nah. Traveling means nothing except the training is there. He traveled because he could. He isn't playing because he can't.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Sorry you’re wrong, but I don’t need to keep arguing. You’re wasting everyone’s time looking like you don’t understand the nuances of the game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The best defense is to just not be in your end, I don't understand what's so hard about that. Sitting in your zone getting shelled and giving up rebounds till you either ice the puck, or dump it for a quick line change and repeat, isn't good defense.
Of course you want the puck out if your end. Sometimes its difficult to do that when your opponents are forechecking hard and defenseman are pinching to keep pucks in.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Actually you are on the wrong side of the argument. It sounds like you are talking about the game from a video game perspective.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That's not what we did. We trapped, to frustrate TB and prevent any form of comeback. Trapping is what you do when you enter the 3rd period on the road with a 4-0 lead. No point in trying to run up the score.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why didn't we make poor decisions in the first two periods? Answer: We didn't turtle.

Sorry, but they turtled and coughed up 2 goals. It's Trotz hockey, has been since day 1 of his tenure in Nashville and now here.
Because Tampa didn't put any pressure on us in the first 2 periods. Once down by 4 goals they had to play more aggressive in the offensive zone. Forechecking aggressively and dmen pinching on every play. Tampa was forced to play desperate hockey.
Do you not watch many games? This happens in most games played.
BTW a goal on the pp and a goal because because we got too aggressive in the offensive zone isn't turtling. When you are turtling you don't give up 2 on 1s. Come on guys. Think. If we did turtle Tampa wouldn't have scored that 2nd goal. You guys want them to be more offensive minded in those situations. Well they were and it cost us a goal. This isn't a video game guys.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's not what we did. We trapped, to frustrate TB and prevent any form of comeback. Trapping is what you do when you enter the 3rd period on the road with a 4-0 lead. No point in trying to run up the score.
Actually we trapped for most of the game. I really have no problem with that. You can create a lot if turnovers in the neutral zone and create some good offensive chances. Its pretty much how Kuzy got the game winner in game 6 against the Pens.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Actually we trapped for most of the game. I really have no problem with that. You can create a lot if turnovers in the neutral zone and create some good offensive chances. Its pretty much how Kuzy got the game winner in game 6 against the Pens.

We did, and that's not a bad thing at all. There was a difference in the way we trapped between the 2nd and the 3rd. In the 1st and second, guys were stacked up right behind the red line, whereas we stacked up the defense at our blue line in the 3rd. Also, we saved energy by turning the forecheck off in the 3rd.

I have nothing to complain about, that was perfect game management by Trotz.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Lack of Backstrom progress makes me believe he's out until either we're in it up to our necks or the entire series.

I believe there is a level of gamesmanship happening with Trotz, because Backstrom is such a dynamic player it's beneficial to list him as day-to-day so TB has to prepare accordingly. To pull the Bura "he's out for the series" would give TB an advantage in game planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->