Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Final G1: Caps @ Bolts | 5/11/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
20 years in the making... let's do this. Lines to be posted later.

Waking up in the 3rd round this morning like:

Not-Sure-What-to-do-With-Hands-Talladega-Nights-Ricky-Bobby.gif

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I feel better about this series then I did Pittsburgh. It all probably goes back to just losing to them two years in a row. I saw the playoff bracket last night and it was pretty surreal seeing us as one of the final four. I'm strangely optimistic.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Every so often in the day I remember how Monday night felt and I am overcome with happiness. I want to know what that feeling feels like on the next level. Monday felt like a religious experience, I don't want it to be the apex of this ride.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Tampa's hockey scene reminds me a lot of the American soccer scene. That's not meant to be disparaging, but in watching videos I've seen a lot of banners, flags, they do a march to the stadium, etc.

It makes sense to me, in most cities soccer is second fiddle to the bigger sports so the groups that do rally around it tend to formulate and build out on the idea of a supporters club as opposed to just a general acceptance of there being a massive amount of fans. I don't know, I'm having a hard time explaining it, but part of the MLS's thing is this supporters club idea. DC United has like 5-6 clubs (it's actually a point of contention among fans right now) and if you're attending the game and not part of one of these groups then it's pretty easy to feel like you're not a part of the experience. Conversely for the bigger sports simply by attending the games and following the team you feel some level of involvement. There's a weird level of gatekeeping attached to American soccer, this idea of if you're not diehard and willing to participate in one of these supporter groups then you're level of investment is less than that of others. I think with any fringe sporting scene this type of gatekeeping happens. MLS fans like to model their support after European clubs, but in reality this idea of all fans being supporters is far more closer to the reality of the way things operate over there.

Anyways I digress, I don't know if this stupid gatekeeping happens in Tampa, I just wouldn't be surprised if it does. I've seen it here for DC United and it will uptick very soon when United gets their new stadium and Rooney. You have people who have self-appointed themselves super fans and placed themselves and their egos in front, they're super quick to try and pull rank the moment the team begins to experience an influx of bandwagon fans.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Tampa Bay fans are fine. I live in Tampa and they generally treat visiting fans well and aren't particularly snobby or anything offputting. There's a certain element of bandwagoning but if you don't believe that happens in every city including DC I have a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad