Player Discussion: dylan samberg

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not a jets Fan

Watch a lot of NCHC specifically the Pio's, and have seen Samberg live 4 times, and bunch through the NCHC streaming that I get for being an alumni.

He is a solid prospect, his gap control in the neutral zone is really good. He'll be very good at forcing off-sides with poke checks, or forcing dump ins which is where his partner has to shine in beating the forechecker back and making a good first pass.

He was paired with Mikey Anderson (Kings) and they were one of the best tandems in the not just the conference but the NCAA last year. I mean they were paired on the WJC Team USA as well that won silver.

Somewhat in the mold of a Josh Manson, Brett Pesce is all goes according to plans.
He understands the cycle game and breaking up lanes.

Also he was top 3 in the NCAA in avg TOI, but tops in the NCHC which is the toughest conference in the NCAA, hence the reason the last 4 national titles have all been won by NCHC teams.
Dude is an absolute HORSE and has played just under 30 minutes in big conference games, even on saturdays.
You lost me as soon as you said not a Jets fan . :eek: Just kidding .:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Happy to have Samberg signed, regardless of whether he plays or not (I'm leaning yes, but 3rd pairing). It would be very nice to see him play a full season up but I won't be disappointed if he spends time in the A. I really liked the approach the team took with Morrissey in not rushing him along and hope they do the same with Heinola and Samberg. If either wants to kick down the door they are more than welcome to stay.

@Whileee any partner effects for Sami or is he just consistently not performing?

I enjoyed watching him live this year but there were deficiencies to be sure. I think he got hung out to dry in that Ranger game especially but IIRC our forwards were abominable for that match as well, so I didn't really think it fair to pin it on Sami, though he didn't do anything to help either. Kind of getting a Burmistrov vibe here, great hopes, lots of fans (myself included) but maybe just not quite good enough (though to be fair to Sami he's far from a first round pick so there is no loss really to the Jets if he doesn't pan out).
The RAPM statistics are meant to adjust for teammates and opponents. My view is that they don't fully adjust, so I'm hesitant to put too much stock in them for a young player on a team that was awful in shot metrics.

Still, I expected more development from him defensively. I still think he could be a good D, but I had higher expectations for him and he disappointed. I also think injuries were a big factor in his shaky season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree 100%
With Samberg and Heinola coming up, Niku is expendable and at his age and position, valuable in trade.
I’d look at packaging him with our 1st and a young forward for a 2C

Great - if we can get a good one for that price.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Niku getting beat 1 on 1 when the Rags were in town is in the same column of the Oduya pizza IMO. Not easily forgotten.

Not sure if Hamonic is necessary given Poolmans play the last few weeks of games. Especially if De Melo signs.

If DeMelo signs, Hamonic would be a 3rd pair Dman. He isn't going to sign here for 3rd pair money.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think 70 ish over two years and 40 over the season before.

I think we retain a couple of our cheap signing/waiver pickups. One at least, probably 2. Mostly, they performed pretty well when they were not playing way too high on the depth chart. Thay all got close to 40 games, or more. With the usual injuries there shouldn't be any trouble qualifying one of them.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
You know how Goldberg has a chant before he comes into the squared circle? Can we do one for Samberg in his first NHL game? It would be really hype!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Niku's value is only high on the Jets board. He is going to be a 24 y/o prospect with some upside this fall that still struggles in his own end. You might get another teams needs a change of new scenery project coming the other way.

He might have value as a sweetener in a deal but likely gets a mid round pick on his own at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Visitor here.

I have not followed much this prospect. I have followed lots of Sami Niku and know how good he is and how much potential he carries.
So i'm asking, why is this Dylan Samberg considered better what Niku?.

Dylan Samberg
21 years old 43rd overall pick, no pro hockey experience, doesn't bring (too) much puck possession/skill/skating ability, right?.
Is big bodied and strong, good in his own end,yes? - what else?.

Sami Niku has already 389 pro games under his belt, better skater?, better offensive abilities?, better passer?
already proven pro player, yes?

+ Niku has experience from Champion Hockey League, Hlinka/Gretzky, Youth Olympics...

Why/how would no pro experience 21 year old unproven NCAA player automatically jump over
23 year old nearly 400 pro game, already proven pro player?????. Where's the logic in that?????

You are way underrating Samberg. He has shown a great deal of skill, though primarily defensive. A defensive player is what we need on defense.

You are overrating Niku. His 389 games pro experience bought him a decent look in the NHL. He didn't look at all good there. He also doesn't play a style our coach likes. He isn't likely to get a better chance with the Jets. We had a very weak defense last year and he couldn't crack the lineup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Samberg will play in the A 100%

Niku is by far a more skilled and all around better player than Samberg ever will be.

Heinola is our best d prospect he’s got #1 written all over him.

Heinola Pionk
Morrissey Niku
Samberg Poolman

I think it’s important to ad some size in the right side and have Pionk play second pair.

I can safely say that there is zero chance of that lineup happening. Very few things are either 100% or 0% but that is one.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He might have value as a sweetener in a deal but likely gets a mid round pick on his own at this point.
Actually I doubt Sami is moving on. He likely gets qualified and signed for something in the $1 - $1.2 M range on a bridge and is given an opportunity to earn a spot. A DeMelo signing likely relegates him to 3rd pairing work with Poolman assuming he takes a step forward with his defensive game. Altogether this gives us a pretty nice back end next season if the pieces all come together.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can safely say that there is zero chance of that lineup happening. Very few things are either 100% or 0% but that is one.

Agreed, Heinola isn't close to ready for a top pairing slot and if we are very lucky in two to three years he might be capable of top pairing minutes.

It's amazing how quickly Morrisey has gone from stud to dud after one half a poor season where he wasn't healthy. He is still the best dmen on the team and will bounce back to being a very good all around top pairing guy next season imo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Most analysts predict that he starts on the Jets and I'm not sure if I have heard any say that he will start on the Moose.
I'm more than happy with a Manson/Pesce type player. I think he starts on at least the 3rd pairing and is on the 2nd well before the allstar game provided next season is semi-normal.
Maurice plays players small and big but I think we saw that an overall small D has troubles in front of the net.
We were used to Chiarot, Buff, Myers and Trouba...all were pretty big and 2 or 3 were talented. To get some size, Maurice was forced to play Sbisa, potato and later boolow.
Comparing Slamberg to Niku isn't fair but I'd trade Niku WAY before I trade Slamberg.
I can't wait to see a Slamberg Pionk pairing and Slamberg DeMelo pairing on the PK......If DeMelo signs, I think we see that pairing by the ASG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad