Player Discussion: dylan samberg

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think 70 ish over two years and 40 over the season before.

This is correct. It's 70 games over the previous 2 seasons or 40 games in the last year. So for example Bitetto played 51 games this year. If you signed him to a 2 year extension he'd need 19 games next year to qualify. Or you could extend Poolman and, assuming he played at least 13 games next year, he would qualify.

If you plan on protecting JMo, Pionk & RD acquisation (DeMelo, Hamonic, other UFA, trade) that means we'll have guys that could fill the requirement, the issue is that right now all of them are UFAs either right now or after next season so you need to sign some of these guys to extensions. Shouldn't really be a problem.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Why/how would no pro experience 21 year old unproven NCAA player automatically jump over
23 year old nearly 400 pro game, already proven pro player?????. Where's the logic in that?????

Someone can back me up but the NHLe points equivalent in the conference Samberg plays in (NCHC) is pretty darn close to Liiga.

And Dylan Samberg was at the World Juniors two years in a row...

Is he overly skilled, no. I would equate his game to a bigger Dylan DeMelo.

Reactions: John Agar

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Samberg will play in the A 100%

Niku is by far a more skilled and all around better player than Samberg ever will be.

Heinola is our best d prospect he’s got #1 written all over him.

Heinola Pionk
Morrissey Niku
Samberg Poolman

I think it’s important to ad some size in the right side and have Pionk play second pair.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Visitor here.

I have not followed much this prospect. I have followed lots of Sami Niku and know how good he is and how much potential he carries.
So i'm asking, why is this Dylan Samberg considered better what Niku?.

Dylan Samberg
21 years old 43rd overall pick, no pro hockey experience, doesn't bring (too) much puck possession/skill/skating ability, right?.
Is big bodied and strong, good in his own end,yes? - what else?.

Sami Niku has already 389 pro games under his belt, better skater?, better offensive abilities?, better passer?
already proven pro player, yes?

+ Niku has experience from Champion Hockey League, Hlinka/Gretzky, Youth Olympics...

Why/how would no pro experience 21 year old unproven NCAA player automatically jump over
23 year old nearly 400 pro game, already proven pro player?????. Where's the logic in that?????

Since I am a fan of both players let me give it a shot.

Niku

Maurice is not a big fan of Sami's yet. It kind of starts and ends with that. This was suppose to be "the season" with the gaping holes in our roster but everything went wrong. Sami started out injured and was rarely healthy and when he was he played a bit erratic.

Niku is really good at some things but they are mostly offensive in nature or in transition. His weakness is that he is still not good enough defensively or without the puck for Paul's liking. I think he can eventually get there but I also think he is running out of chances. I think next season is make it or break it time for Niku and I hope he will make it. I would love to see him play bottom pairing with Poolman sheltered next season. I think they could both do well in that role.

Samberg.

He is 6'4" and 215 so he is really big and Maurice loves his Big D men "FULL STOP" (I could quit right here and it would be enough)

Dylan strengths are the opposite of Sami's. He is a modern day shut down defender, mobile and aggressive he attacks the puck and forces play without the puck. He is the ideal complimentary piece to a guy like Pionk because he plays a safe, clean, rugged game with plenty of skill.

Its the kind of young player Maurice can trust more because his strengths are coach friendly.

It may take him a bit to get use to the speed of the pro game but he plays a pretty low risk brand of hockey and I think he will be fine by as early as Christmas.

Summary Apples (Samberg's size and style) vs Oranges (Niku's size and style)...................Maurice is addicted to apples and he even eats rotten ones and Paul has an allergy to citrus. :laugh:

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Niku is by far a more skilled and all around better player than Samberg ever will be.

Heinola Pionk
Morrissey Niku
Samberg Poolman

I think it’s important to ad some size in the right side and have Pionk play second pair.
I'd rank Samberg well above Niku. I like Niku's skillset but he has struggled defensively. He's also almost 3 years older than Samberg.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Great news.

I still think he is very over rated here. He will be a solid bottom pairing guy. I know this is exciting givin the circumstances but he isnt going to come in and save our defense.

Theres a good chance he starts in the AHL or press box

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Heinola Pionk
Morrissey Niku
Samberg Poolman

I agree about Heinola, but there's absolutely no way you can assure Niku will be better than Samberg.

Niku hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, in fact he's struggled mightily when he's called up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Since I am a fan of both players let me give it a shot.

Niku

Maurice is not a big fan of Sami's yet. It kind of starts and ends with that. This was suppose to be "the season" with the gaping holes in our roster but everything went wrong. Sami started out injured and was rarely healthy and when he was he played a bit erratic.

Niku is really good at some things but they are mostly offensive in nature or in transition. His weakness is that he is still not good enough defensively or without the puck for Paul's liking. I think he can eventually get there but I also think he is running out of chances. I think next season is make it or break it time for Niku and I hope he will make it. I would love to see him play bottom pairing with Poolman sheltered next season. I think they could both do well in that role.

Samberg.

He is 6'4" and 215 so he is really big and Maurice loves his Big D men "FULL STOP" (I could quit right here and it would be enough)

Dylan strengths are the opposite of Sami's. He is a modern day shut down defender, mobile and aggressive he attacks the puck and forces play without the puck. He is the ideal complimentary piece to a guy like Pionk because he plays a safe, clean, rugged game with plenty of skill.

Its the kind of young player Maurice can trust more because his strengths are coach friendly.

It may take him a bit to get use to the speed of the pro game but he plays a pretty low risk brand of hockey and I think he will be fine by as early as Christmas.

Summary Apples (Samberg's size and style) vs Oranges (Niku's size and style)...................Maurice is addicted to apples and he even eats rotten ones and Paul has an allergy to citrus. :laugh:
I think it's overly simplistic to boil it down to Maurice's supposed love of size. Maurice loves Morrissey and Pionk, not because they are big but because they have been effective.

Samberg is effective at using his size / reach, along with other attributes (skating, timing, IQ) to get good results. I do think that the Jets have lacked D that are effective at closing off and protecting the crease, clearing rebounds, etc., which bigger D often do better vs bigger forwards.

The main reason that Niku hasn't endeared himself to Maurice is performance, not size.

download (30).png

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not that I would ever play Devil's Advocate... :sarcasm:

Could it be that Niku's analytics are skewed possibly due to the fact he could not be sheltered, small sample size and he constantly had to play with different partners and partners that might be pylons dressed up as Winnipeg Jets....?

:badidea:

PS... Oh and thx buggs for mentioning the forwards atrocious defensive play... further down buggs mentions... :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Happy to have Samberg signed, regardless of whether he plays or not (I'm leaning yes, but 3rd pairing). It would be very nice to see him play a full season up but I won't be disappointed if he spends time in the A. I really liked the approach the team took with Morrissey in not rushing him along and hope they do the same with Heinola and Samberg. If either wants to kick down the door they are more than welcome to stay.

@Whileee any partner effects for Sami or is he just consistently not performing?

I enjoyed watching him live this year but there were deficiencies to be sure. I think he got hung out to dry in that Ranger game especially but IIRC our forwards were abominable for that match as well, so I didn't really think it fair to pin it on Sami, though he didn't do anything to help either. Kind of getting a Burmistrov vibe here, great hopes, lots of fans (myself included) but maybe just not quite good enough (though to be fair to Sami he's far from a first round pick so there is no loss really to the Jets if he doesn't pan out).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not a jets Fan

Watch a lot of NCHC specifically the Pio's, and have seen Samberg live 4 times, and bunch through the NCHC streaming that I get for being an alumni.

He is a solid prospect, his gap control in the neutral zone is really good. He'll be very good at forcing off-sides with poke checks, or forcing dump ins which is where his partner has to shine in beating the forechecker back and making a good first pass.

He was paired with Mikey Anderson (Kings) and they were one of the best tandems in the not just the conference but the NCAA last year. I mean they were paired on the WJC Team USA as well that won silver.

Somewhat in the mold of a Josh Manson, Brett Pesce is all goes according to plans.
He understands the cycle game and breaking up lanes.

Also he was top 3 in the NCAA in avg TOI, but tops in the NCHC which is the toughest conference in the NCAA, hence the reason the last 4 national titles have all been won by NCHC teams.
Dude is an absolute HORSE and has played just under 30 minutes in big conference games, even on saturdays.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not a jets Fan

Watch a lot of NCHC specifically the Pio's, and have seen Samberg live 4 times, and bunch through the NCHC streaming that I get for being an alumni.

He is a solid prospect, his gap control in the neutral zone is really good. He'll be very good at forcing off-sides with poke checks, or forcing dump ins which is where his partner has to shine in beating the forechecker back and making a good first pass.

He was paired with Mikey Anderson (Kings) and they were one of the best tandems in the not just the conference but the NCAA last year. I mean they were paired on the WJC Team USA as well that won silver.

Somewhat in the mold of a Josh Manson, Brett Pesce is all goes according to plans.

Also he was top 3 in the NCAA in avg TOI, but tops in the NCHC which is the toughest conference in the NCAA, hence the reason the last 4 national titles have all been won by NCHC teams.
Dude is an absolute HORSE and has played just under 30 minutes in big conference games, even on saturdays.
Love the scouting report, thanks! Big minutes on back to back nights isn’t easy. And from what you’re saying Pionk sounds like a perfect partner for the guy.
Great report!
If you’ve seen a lot of Nathan Smith feel free to drop us a line on him in our Prospects page! Or any prospects of ours that you have seen. Blaisdell etc. Much appreciated!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it's overly simplistic to boil it down to Maurice's supposed love of size. Maurice loves Morrissey and Pionk, not because they are big but because they have been effective.

Samberg is effective at using his size / reach, along with other attributes (skating, timing, IQ) to get good results. I do think that the Jets have lacked D that are effective at closing off and protecting the crease, clearing rebounds, etc., which bigger D often do better vs bigger forwards.

The main reason that Niku hasn't endeared himself to Maurice is performance, not size.

View attachment 340846

Let me add context. Paul has no problem with players that aren't big (Morrissey, Pionk, Toby) but they have to be good. He has less problems with large physical players that are not good. I think when all else fails he will default to a big veteran that lacks skill or at least that seems to be who he chooses when he gets a chance. I agree with your graphs in that Sami has struggled statistically even though the sample size has been small. Maybe Niku can get that Pionk bounce next year by playing the right role on an improved Jets team?

What I will say though is size aside I believe Samberg is better defensively right now than Niku by a decent margin.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not a jets Fan

Thanks for the post from a neutral fan. Those of us on the board that have watched him a fair amount have thrown around the Pesce Manson comparisons at times. I appreciate you dropping by.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad