Dylan McIlrath

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Maybe Chara today would be a decent fight, but Chara in his prime? Could not disagree more. Chara in his prime would have handled Ericsson.

Who are the best fighters E has even faced at the NHL level? Clowe, Benn, Simmonds, and Clarkson? And he's what, 1-4 or 1-3-1 in those fights? 1-2-2 if you're insanely generous?

Chara used to drop them with the likes of Laraque, Brashear, and Simon and has wins over actual fighters like Shelley, Ivanans, Thorburn, Cairns, Rupp, and Dingman.

Ericsson has fought guys like Mackinnon and Stafford. Chara, unless in extreme retaliation, pretty much laughs off most guys. Brendan Smith is a decent fighter and we seen Chara amused by him.

That's certainly growing true.

Chara's fight end the same way every time. He throws a wild haymaker which he lands or doesn't land while falling to the ice. Why people fear Chara is probably just the fight where he could have killed Vinny in the playoffs and didn't. Which was pure class no doubt.

But he is a terrible fighter. What Ericsson does is hold the guy at length and hit them with jab after jab. But what is interesting is my buddy who was an AHL tough guy says those shots don't look big but they are the hardest he has been hit in his life. He fought most of the legit heavies either on their way up or at the end of their careers when they are back down. So I believe him.

His record by you seems ungenerous. He beat Benn (twice in his career I believe), Clarkson and Clowe didn't really land more than one thing, they took a lot of jabs in those fights, just because they got some takedowns doesn't make them winners. Outside of Simmonds I don't really remember him getting throttled. I guess we could throw out Brule while the refs held onto Ericsson. I am not calling him an entertaining fighter, but Ericsson isn't a guy you want to mess with. Just keeps you pushed out and jack hammers guys with quick jabs and a lot of times the sneaky jersey punch while he is steering guys and those hurt more than most think in a hockey fight in my opinion. I never liked them the couple of times I have gone with people and they were doing them.

Ericsson though being a decent really pretty good fighter in the terms of the NHL says more about the evolution of the game. But he uses his reach very effectively and he has kept himself out of big danger for years doing it while inflicting some punishment.

McIlrath is the entertaining kind of fighter though. Wild throws and an aggression that should remind some of our fans of the guys in the late 80's. That dude can chuck them, he just to date isn't really NHL caliber elsewhere. I think we will give him a try and he should certainly keep the flies off some of our younger guys in GR.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, I don't question Ericsson's fighting, either. At worst he usually breaks even, and the Simmons fight is the only one I remember him getting thoroughly drubbed in.

Caught part of the Griffins game tonight before I lost my feed. He didn't really stand out, though he got run once and still did the majority of the damage. Big big guy. Seems really solid. Also seemed pretty slow.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Still love this kid from his time with the Rangers.

Never got a fair shake.

He's tough and can fight cool, let's get that out of the way. A couple things I noticed while he was with the Rangers which lead me to believe he can be an NHL defensemen. To be fair I list where he needs work as well.

Some positives:

+ Excellent first pass (someone posted Schultz video, the beginning)...really executes zone exits well
+ Closes gaps at the blueline...no one is coming at him head on or taking the boards on him
+ Actually moves very well up and down the ice and once he gets his stride skates very well
+ Awesome teammate, obviously stands up for everyone
+ Cannon of a slap shot, gets his whole body behind it
+ Lays very jarring hits that remove opponents from the puck

Some negatives:

- Needs to work on his lateral movement, which is still iffy and he gets caught up in his own feet.
- Sometimes leaves his position to make the big hit
- Accuracy on slapshot needs work
- Prone to dumb penalties occasionally because of the lack of lateral quickness.

He honestly was one of our better defensemen in the 30 or so games he played last year. Only got two or so games this year and came in cold after sitting for extended periods in the rafters.

Kid is smart too and a really hard worker.

If he can put it all together and really get his lateral movement down he can be a special player.

gbdet

Dec 22, 2009
I would love to see him get a shot here. We could use some snarl on the back end... it would at least make the games more entertaining. We don't really hit at all anymore

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yeah, I don't question Ericsson's fighting, either. At worst he usually breaks even, and the Simmons fight is the only one I remember him getting thoroughly drubbed in.

Caught part of the Griffins game tonight before I lost my feed. He didn't really stand out, though he got run once and still did the majority of the damage. Big big guy. Seems really solid. Also seemed pretty slow.

Well kinks can be worked on, bad habits can be changed.

IMO, re-signing him is a good move. He won't cost much, and if he can be an NHL defenseman with coaching, what will it hurt?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well kinks can be worked on, bad habits can be changed.

IMO, re-signing him is a good move. He won't cost much, and if he can be an NHL defenseman with coaching, what will it hurt?

Can't make a guy more skilled. Don't want him on our NHL or AHL roster, personally.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Still love this kid from his time with the Rangers.

Never got a fair shake.

He's tough and can fight cool, let's get that out of the way. A couple things I noticed while he was with the Rangers which lead me to believe he can be an NHL defensemen. To be fair I list where he needs work as well.

Some positives:

+ Excellent first pass (someone posted Schultz video, the beginning)...really executes zone exits well
+ Closes gaps at the blueline...no one is coming at him head on or taking the boards on him
+ Actually moves very well up and down the ice and once he gets his stride skates very well
+ Awesome teammate, obviously stands up for everyone
+ Cannon of a slap shot, gets his whole body behind it
+ Lays very jarring hits that remove opponents from the puck

Some negatives:

- Needs to work on his lateral movement, which is still iffy and he gets caught up in his own feet.
- Sometimes leaves his position to make the big hit
- Accuracy on slapshot needs work
- Prone to dumb penalties occasionally because of the lack of lateral quickness.

He honestly was one of our better defensemen in the 30 or so games he played last year. Only got two or so games this year and came in cold after sitting for extended periods in the rafters.

Kid is smart too and a really hard worker.

If he can put it all together and really get his lateral movement down he can be a special player.

I'm hoping this is an accurate assessment, because I think I just hardened a little. I'm dying for the Wings to work with this kid and give him a chance. I know I'm in the minority, and have been for some time (regarding fighting/enforcers in general, as well as Dylan here).

The Wings are so soft, even when he scores I want to punch Nyquist's face in. :D

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I'm hoping this is an accurate assessment, because I think I just hardened a little. I'm dying for the Wings to work with this kid and give him a chance. I know I'm in the minority, and have been for some time (regarding fighting/enforcers in general, as well as Dylan here).

The Wings are so soft, even when he scores I want to punch Nyquist's face in. :D

That is accurate. Take it from another Ranger fan.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Honest question, after watching last nights game, is there a glut on the backend, what would keep him down?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honest question, after watching last nights game, is there a glut on the backend, what would keep him down?

playing time. Right now, without knowing the system, his partners, or anything else, how well is he really likely to play? Meanwhile, who are the Wings going to sit? Dekeyser and Green are simply better. Russo, XO, and Jensen are all kids who need the IT as much as McIlrath does. That leaves Kronwall.

As long as the Wings are not mathematically eliminated, they are not going to sit Kronwall to play a kid. Unless he can't go, he's going to be in that lineup until there's nothing left to play for.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He actually has some skills.

Good shot. Physical. Good on the boards.

I disagree with that assessment, and was not surprised to see him pass through waivers twice this season.

We have plenty of guys we need to make room for in GR next year, I'd be glad to part ways with him. We have Hronek, Saarijarvi, and likely De Haas coming. So unless we are going to replace someone like Lashoff with McIlrath, then I say dump him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I disagree with that assessment, and was not surprised to see him pass through waivers twice this season.

We have plenty of guys we need to make room for in GR next year, I'd be glad to part ways with him. We have Hronek, Saarijarvi, and likely De Haas coming. So unless we are going to replace someone like Lashoff with McIlrath, then I say dump him.

Hopefully we have timothy liljegren too :yo:

I agree with you maybe just bail on Lashoff finally.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
IMO, McIlrath is just a warm body for the Griffens playoff run. Wings TDL left the team with just 6 D, so Russo was getting called up, whether Sproul got injured or not.

If McIlrath really impresses in GR, I can see Holland offering a one year "prove it" contract to see if he can win a spot on the Wings in camp.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Snarl and physicality is useless in today's league if you don't have the wheels to keep up. Fighting well is entertaining and net-clearing would be great on the PK but that doesn't get you an NHL spot when 97% of the rest of your game requires mobility. You can't just wave away a defenseman's lack of mobility in this league anymore, particularly lateral movement. The stay-at-home defenseman is dead in that respect - all defenseman have to leave base in order to be effective in this league.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
Snarl and physicality is useless in today's league if you don't have the wheels to keep up. Fighting well is entertaining and net-clearing would be great on the PK but that doesn't get you an NHL spot when 97% of the rest of your game requires mobility. You can't just wave away a defenseman's lack of mobility in this league anymore, particularly lateral movement. The stay-at-home defenseman is dead in that respect - all defenseman have to leave base in order to be effective in this league.

Nick Jensen had to wait until he was 26 even after looking good during the preseason. Now he looks like a top 2 Dman (With the D the wings are currently dressing.)
Give McIlrath 5 games and see if he can adjust to the speed, he can't be any worse than #55.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Why would you trade for a player and then not bring him up for a look?

The Wings do not have an open roster spot for McIlrath and with 17 games to go and he was playing in the AHL at the time of the trade. He basically is taking over for Jensen here in Grand Rapids since Jensen played well enough in Detroit to avoid being put on waivers for him to be in the Griffins playoff roster and with him signing a 2 year extension, there is no need for Jensen to prove himself in Grand Rapids (at least for this season).

McIlrath is basically the Griffins "rental" on D for our playoff run. If he does wonders here, then the Wings will give him a chance to prove himself in training camp next season and maybe sign him to a year deal to take a chance and to have depth on D. If he does not do well in GR, then he becomes a UFA and goes elsewhere.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's played too infrequently over the last two years and IMO his game has regressed. When he did play with the Rangers the coaching staff was very careful about the situations they put him in. I didn't see the trust from the coaching staff towards him at all. Young players need to play--he got caught in a catch 22 situation of the team not playing him and at the same time not wanting to put him through waivers. That changed this year but again he's not played enough and my guess is his confidence needs to be rebuilt.

He's got a big shot and is very tough. He can hang with just about any other fighter which is not to say he'd win against someone like Ryan Reaves per se but he wouldn't embarrass himself. If he catches someone with a hit he can really hurt them. His skating needs work particularly lateral mobility--his short pass game needs work.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

I stand by it.

Also, if he replaces Lashoff, I'm ok with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I stand by it.

Also, if he replaces Lashoff, I'm ok with that.

I respect that.

Would you put him on the NHL or AHL roster. My biggest thing is, I want there to be room for Hronek and Saarijarvi next year... and the AHL roster is already pretty crowded. And I've never been impressed with what I've seen from him in the NHL. Biggest issue there is he has heavy feet.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I respect that.

Would you put him on the NHL or AHL roster. My biggest thing is, I want there to be room for Hronek and Saarijarvi next year... and the AHL roster is already pretty crowded. And I've never been impressed with what I've seen from him in the NHL. Biggest issue there is he has heavy feet.

AHL. Get a coach to work with his skating.

With the AHL roster getting crowded, Lashoff can go.

Seems like a waste to just let hm go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad