Dylan McIlrath

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I love how most of the people we acquire are "big guys that can fight" so let's get more big guys that can fight cause we have no big guys that can fight

Fight

Who else did the Wings trade/sign that was a big guy that could fight? I honestly can't think of any...

Tootoo and Ott are the most notable scrapers they signed, but they are not big guys and they were more agitators.

Yeah, haha, exactly.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We don't have enough puck movers to compensate for his lack of puck skills and skating ability. We have Mike Green, and that's about it.

yes we have , it is youth , and he is only 24 . Maybe pair him with Hicketts and see if it generate solid line

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I seriously don't understand how we could trade our best player for this.

Well, the actual asset was a 3rd round pick.

And by "best player" you mean a 33-year-old rental UFA with 15 goals who who missed 20% of the games (12) this season.

We all wanted a 1st, but that would have been overpayment. General Managers have stopped trading away 1sts all willy nilly like they used to at the deadline.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, the actual asset was a 3rd round pick.

And by "best player" you mean a 33-year-old rental UFA with 15 goals who who missed 20% of the games (12) this season.

We all wanted a 1st, but that would have been overpayment. General Managers have stopped trading away 1sts all willy nilly like they used to at the deadline.

Yeah.
Pierre LeBrun: I was surprised at how low the prices plummeted on nearly everyone when you consider people feel the 2017 draft class isn't very strong. A sixth-rounder for Drew Stafford? No one wanted to meet the Arizona Coyotes' price on Radim Vrbata, so he didn't even move? Nobody offered a bag of pucks for Buffalo Sabres defenseman Dmitry Kulikov? Holy mama, not a day to be selling. I can't remember the market ever being this picky in my 22 years covering the NHL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I seriously don't understand how we could trade our best player for this.

Some would argue making the playoffs without a chance at winning a cup is pointless. When the playoffs are not even in the picture even fewer would argue Vanek is pointless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope this is the guy we got. damn!! Have you ever seen Ericsson do this once in his career?

Are you serious. Ericsson is one of the better fighters in the league. He doesn't go all the time but he has maybe one big loss to Simmonds that I can think of. I have a buddy that played in the AHL that tattooed Downey and several other notable NHL tough guys that swears the toughest hockey fight he has ever had in his life is Jonathan Ericsson.

McIlrath has a long ways to go at playing hockey to even for a second dump on Ericsson for him. I hope the kid turns it around but statements like this won't help him. Being a mean bottom pairing guy is something he has struggled mightily to do. No doubt he is a great fighter, to date he is a bottom pairing AHL defender and that is why he hasn't been able to hold onto a job in the league.

I will say for those hungry for a fighter, McIlrath if he can improve enough to find his way onto the ice, should be the best fighter in the league. He is that good in that discipline and the undertaker nickname is earned.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
the guy is pretty hopeless, although rags fans liked him last season and many were super-pissed when he was waived earlier this season.

he was one of the most ridiculous draft picks in recent memory as the rags badly needed a d-man and cam fowler unexpectedly fell into their laps....only for them to go off the board and take mcilrath instead. there was a video of the reactions at a rangers draft party and their shock and anger was totally hilarious. mcilrath ended up proving the fans right and sather wrong. his career thus far has been very mediocre.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I really hope we give him a chance! First off, he will definitely keep things entertaining. Secondly, he has potential to be a pretty unique player. If he ends up as bad as people are saying though, he will really help us tank.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes 24 and people are already writing him off? He wouldnt have even got a shot with the wings yet.

He might not be in their future plans but I think with a rebuilding team keeping him as the seventh and seeing if he can turn into a legit bottom pairing guy wouldnt hurt at all. Worst case you had a 7th D that was basically the toughest guy in the league, best case he becomes good enough to kill some penalties and play a regular bottom pair role.

If the wings are gonna suck, might as well be tough. Marchenko is older than him and plenty of people here ripping on McIlrath would be defending Marchenko and crying that he got waived. Lots of Florida fans thought he looked good in the games he got in

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
By no means would I consider Ericsson one of the best fighters in the league. He can go and occasionally has gone, but when he does he's by no means dominant. Sure he can use his range and size against smaller guys like Dorsett and Perry, but Ericsson has never really dominated a real fighter or went with a true heavyweight like Chara used to.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
By no means would I consider Ericsson one of the best fighters in the league. He can go and occasionally has gone, but when he does he's by no means dominant. Sure he can use his range and size against smaller guys like Dorsett and Perry, but Ericsson has never really dominated a real fighter or went with a true heavyweight like Chara used to.

I think Ericsson when healthy is one of the most intimidating guys to fight. He's huge, and very strong. Decent footwork as well.

I think Ericsson vs. Chara would be a great fight.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

There are no heavyweights anymore.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
There are a couple things going for him:
The wings do need to get tougher
The wings are going to suck no matter who they put on D so he could get ice time
The wings are pretty good at reclamation projects

Still a long shot by all stretches. But we can hope for the best.

draft video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpBPQd9OsJg&t=0m40s

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My god that 2010 draft was weak for defencemen.

3. Erik Gudbranson
10. Dylan McIlrath
12. Cam Fowler
13. Brandon Gormley
15. Derek Forbort
22. Jarred Tinordi
23. Mark Pysyk
------------ 2nd round
36. Alex Petrovic
37. Justin Faulk
38. Jon Merrill
41. Patrik Nemeth
46. Martin Marincin
53. Mark Alt
60. Stephen Johns
-------------- 3rd round
63. Brock Beukeboom
66. Radgo Gudas
67. Danny Biega
-------------- 4th round
116. Petter Granberg
-------------- 5th round
131. John Klingberg
148. Kevin Gravel
-------------- 6th round
154. Dalton Prout
162. Brandon Davidson
168. Anhony Bitetto
-------------- 7th round
210. Zach Trotman

5 1st round busts...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Rags fan checking in I was wondering if he's playing in Grand Rapids tonight and who he's gonna be paired with?

Also if you anticipate he'll be called up so FO can take a look at him at the NHL level? Seasons all but over pretty much right? And besides Green no other legit rh shooting D on this team.

He's never going to justify the position he was taken in draft but I think he could impress a lot of people if given a shot again.

Detroit seems like the perfect opportunity and team to excel at a second chance.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I think Ericsson when healthy is one of the most intimidating guys to fight. He's huge, and very strong. Decent footwork as well.

I think Ericsson vs. Chara would be a great fight.

Maybe Chara today would be a decent fight, but Chara in his prime? Could not disagree more. Chara in his prime would have handled Ericsson.

Who are the best fighters E has even faced at the NHL level? Clowe, Benn, Simmonds, and Clarkson? And he's what, 1-4 or 1-3-1 in those fights? 1-2-2 if you're insanely generous?

Chara used to drop them with the likes of Laraque, Brashear, and Simon and has wins over actual fighters like Shelley, Ivanans, Thorburn, Cairns, Rupp, and Dingman.

Ericsson has fought guys like Mackinnon and Stafford. Chara, unless in extreme retaliation, pretty much laughs off most guys. Brendan Smith is a decent fighter and we seen Chara amused by him.

There are no heavyweights anymore.

That's certainly growing true.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Rags fan checking in I was wondering if he's playing in Grand Rapids tonight and who he's gonna be paired with?

Also if you anticipate he'll be called up so FO can take a look at him at the NHL level? Seasons all but over pretty much right? And besides Green no other legit rh shooting D on this team.

He's never going to justify the position he was taken in draft but I think he could impress a lot of people if given a shot again.

Detroit seems like the perfect opportunity and team to excel at a second chance.

The Griffins often post the projected lineup on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grgriffins

It may get posted later today

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Do you guys know if AV contacted Blashill yet to convince him to not play McIlscratch? Or did Blashill decide that on his own?

Amazing how Rangers fans blame AV for McAHLrath not getting a shot when a the guy passed waivers twice, ended up on another team but barely played and is now on a Wings team that sits last in the East (Sorry, just making a point) and he still can't get in the lineup.

Ok, got both my nicknames in and made my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad