Dylan McIlrath

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
He was labeled "The UnderTaker" during the draft in 2010. So this guy doesn't mind droppin the gloves. It said he fears no one. If this guy can skate better than Ericsson than this might be cool. This guy is a beast. Rangers were touting him as their next Jeff Beukeboom. Now that would be awesome! Maybe our next Jiri Fischer?

Last edited:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
He was labeled "The UnderTaker" during the draft in 2010. So this guy doesn't mind droppin the gloves. It said he fears no one. If this guy can skate better than Ericsson than this might be cool. This guy is a beast. Rangers were touting him as their next Jeff Beukeboom. Now that would be awesome! Maybe our Jiri Fischer?

If he can fight then I'm happy. If we're gonna suck and not score a lot. Lets at least see some hits and fights.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Hopefully doesn't see much icetime in the big leagues, a worthless pylon.

Well, if McIllrath droppes his gloves everytime he hits the ice he atleast makes this vanilla team somewhat more interesting.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I hope this is the guy we got. damn!! Have you ever seen Ericsson do this once in his career?

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, he's compared to Jeff Beukeboom because the only way he can be an NHL defenseman is if he were drafted 30 years ago. The guy is a waste of skates.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
On one hand, he does bring something that basically no other can offer, which is big hits and fighting. But on the other hand, he doesn't bring much else.

It would be great for him to spend the rest of the season in GR, get better in the off-season, re-sign (he is an UFA this summer) and be the #6D that brings grit and crease-clearing play.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
rangers fan here

been dealing with the mcilrath thing since the day we drafted him. he was a reach back then and never developed due to very limited hockey ability. hes tough as nails but less so now that hes playing with and against men. his overall hockey ability is equivalent to a 3rd pair sheltered defensive guy who can lay the body and play it tough down low.

when he needs to defend against speed or play up ice, his weaknesses become magnified. prone to bad penalties and emotional reaction type fouls. his skating and edge control isnt fluid enough to allow for nhl recovery and pursuit. gap control issues always haunted him.

hes a quality character kid who was well liked here. hes willing to defend his teammates and has a good hard shot.

problem was, and continues to be, hes just not that good at ice hockey.

good luck to him, like i said, quality kid.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
rangers fan here

been dealing with the mcilrath thing since the day we drafted him. he was a reach back then and never developed due to very limited hockey ability. hes tough as nails but less so now that hes playing with and against men. his overall hockey ability is equivalent to a 3rd pair sheltered defensive guy who can lay the body and play it tough down low.

when he needs to defend against speed or play up ice, his weaknesses become magnified. prone to bad penalties and emotional reaction type fouls. his skating and edge control isnt fluid enough to allow for nhl recovery and pursuit. gap control issues always haunted him.

hes a quality character kid who was well liked here. hes willing to defend his teammates and has a good hard shot.

problem was, and continues to be, hes just not that good at ice hockey.

good luck to him, like i said, quality kid.

Looks like he'll fit in great here then.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
He's the guy we didn't bother to claim off of waivers twice in the last 6 months.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The only way I see this working out is if Holland commits to the rebuild and our regular season record isn't an issue. It would be nice to have someone on the team add some grit and maybe put the tools together to be a serviceable punishing bottom pairing D. But that is a long long shot I think he has already proved he doesn't have a future in the NHL.

In the mean time his presence would be a hole in our defense, another hole in a big block of Swiss cheese.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Mcllrath at least cost notting...its a contract for a contract...

He barely had a chance with the rangers...despite playing good last year in 34 games, Rangers fans were upset by the treatment hé had from alain Vigneault...

He not a lost case, juste play him for your tanking, He might surprise everyone,

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Can this guy seriously be any worse than Ericsson? I'd like to see who is the better skater at this point. Thing that gets me if he's that bad how the hell did he make it into the 1st round and ahead of Cam Fowler even?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Can this guy seriously be any worse than Ericsson? I'd like to see who is the better skater at this point. Thing that gets me if he's that bad how the hell did he make it into the 1st round and ahead of Cam Fowler even?

our draft team and specifically gordie clarke fell in love with his "potential" and had his mind made up after the "interview" that this was a difference maker and the presence we lacked.

you dont draft need over talent. you take the BPA. he didnt.

he passed on better hockey players to reach for a kid who might develop into something unique. he swung for the fences and missed.

mean while, guys he passed up on like tarasenko- heard of him ? kuznetsov and cam fowler have all become regular nhl'ers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If he can fight then I'm happy. If we're gonna suck and not score a lot. Lets at least see some hits and fights.
He's actually pretty good at other things besides fighting. Played well for us when given a good partner, IIRC Yandle said as much that he liked playing with Dylan.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's actually pretty good at other things besides fighting. Played well for us when given a good partner, IIRC Yandle said as much that he liked playing with Dylan.

We don't have enough puck movers to compensate for his lack of puck skills and skating ability. We have Mike Green, and that's about it.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
He's a roster filler.

best case scenario - he takes this move serious and gets into insane shape this summer to get his career refocused since he COULD have an opportunity here.

worst case - stop gap, AHLer.

Didnt like the deal, still dont.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
1990's.

Remember Derian Hatcher?

Guy was a monster. Him and Zubov taking shifts for the Stars were like mash potatoes and gravy. One slick puck mover who could punish you offensive and a brute who could knock your teeth out of your skull.

How many games you think this would get with the new rules? Back in 1999, he got 7 games, with 5 of those being playoff games. Keep in mind it's widely believed that hit was a complete retaliation to Roenick hitting Modano weeks before. So it was a total headhunt, literally.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I love how most of the people we acquire are "big guys that can fight" so let's get more big guys that can fight cause we have no big guys that can fight

Fight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad