Value of: Dylan McIlrath

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Pretty sure this kid topps out where he is right now: Bottom pairing D on a weak D roster.

Brother, your team has so many issues of its very own, I would stop worrying about Ranger players.

Shouldn't you guys have a full all star team with all the high draft pick you've had over the past 20 years?

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
He was brilliant next to Yandle last year, I'm guessing the league wide perspective is that he was carried on that pairing and is simply just a run of the mill replacement level player, hopefully he gets another shot and proves that to be false.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Name the last NHL player that completely passed through waivers who didnt have a toxic contract and then went on to become an impact NHL player afterwards

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Name the last NHL player that completely passed through waivers who didnt have a toxic contract and then went on to become an impact NHL player afterwards

It's almost like we dont live in a world where GM's have poor judgement, i.e drafting McIlrath 10th, Yakupov 1st, trading away Gretzky or leave a guy like Marty St. Louis undrafted, nope GMs are ALWAYS RIGHT 100% OF THE TIME.......:help::sarcasm:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Probably not the last, but Kunitz.

Might be the only comparable answer but at the time kunitz was waived and claimed, he played only about 20 NHL games

Mcilrath played something like 35 games last year. Its not like he didnt get an extended look.

Kunitz barely had a cup of coffee in the nhl before being put on waivers

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Mike Hoffman on Ottawa

Thats a good recent one in memory. The point I was making (and I clearly dont know of every player in the NHL in the last 15 years that went through waivers at some point and blossomed) is that it is EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY rare, especially for dmen, that they go through waivers unclaimed and become something later

Guys like Rundblad and Gormley were comparable picks and actually showed more on the NHL level for longer, and in the end they couldnt get any team to take a flier on them for free when they were making very little money and they looked to have died their way out of the NHL for good

Gormley was taken 13th overall, played 58 NHL games, and cant get a call up or waiver claim anymore
Rundblad was taken 17th overall, played 115 NHL games, won a cup, and couldnt get a claim

I am just saying McIlrath is cut of the same cloth in terms of career arc

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Might be the only comparable answer but at the time kunitz was waived and claimed, he played only about 20 NHL games

Mcilrath played something like 35 games last year. Its not like he didnt get an extended look.

Kunitz barely had a cup of coffee in the nhl before being put on waivers

You're moving the goalposts again. You assumed a thing to be true, and when SEVERAL answers came forth (and there are many more. Parenteau, just off the top of my head, was a waiver wire player who became a solid NHLer), you shifted gears rather than considering the notion that you might be wrong. Now, your line is that Kunitz' 32 games was "barely a cup of coffee" whereas McIlrath's 35 games makes him some kind of seasoned veteran? It's a 15 game difference (and in one of those game, AV had the kid skating as a winger).

Bottom line--you said that McI was horrible and you specifically listed his first pass and being able to recognize the right play as reasons why (I believe the wording was something akin to "the puck is a grenade on his stick"). That is factually incorrect. He has an excellent first pass and, particularly in the defensive zone, he's one of the Rangers' calmer defensemen, using his size to shield players in order to make the right play. He'll never be mistaken for a PMD, but he's very good at making controlled zone exits.

Not being claimed does not mean that he was not claimed for the things you criticized him for.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You're moving the goalposts again. You assumed a thing to be true, and when SEVERAL answers came forth (and there are many more. Parenteau, just off the top of my head, was a waiver wire player who became a solid NHLer), you shifted gears rather than considering the notion that you might be wrong. Now, your line is that Kunitz' 32 games was "barely a cup of coffee" whereas McIlrath's 35 games makes him some kind of seasoned veteran? It's a 15 game difference (and in one of those game, AV had the kid skating as a winger).

Bottom line--you said that McI was horrible and you specifically listed his first pass and being able to recognize the right play as reasons why (I believe the wording was something akin to "the puck is a grenade on his stick"). That is factually incorrect. He has an excellent first pass and, particularly in the defensive zone, he's one of the Rangers' calmer defensemen, using his size to shield players in order to make the right play. He'll never be mistaken for a PMD, but he's very good at making controlled zone exits.

Not being claimed does not mean that he was not claimed for the things you criticized him for.

[MOD]

Did I ever say NO guy has ever passed through waivers and turned into an impact player?

nope, i just asked for examples and they are clearly very few and far between. its not different than saying a team down 3-0 in a playoff series is pretty handily done give the extreme rarity that they come back, across any sport

logical fallacy on your end

besides for as much as Ranger fans complain about McIlrath not getting a shot, Kunitz got half the opportunity McIlrath did when he was waived

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

[MOD]

Yet nobody claimed him despite all these positives? Did all GMs fall into a coma when he hit the waiver wire?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Yet nobody claimed him despite all these positives? Did all GMs fall into a coma when he hit the waiver wire?

He's had 9 minutes this season. 9. After AV stapled his ass to the bench for the better part of LAST season (after a stretch of games where, statistically and from the eye test, he and Yandle were our best pairing).

Opposing GMs aren't allowed to watch practice. They scout players who ARE playing like crazy before they make a move.

As I said--AV hates the kid. Refused to play him. On the rare occasions when he DID play him, it was to put him in a position to fail (no leash whatsoever--one mistake and he was done for the night, playing him as a winger, etc). AV did the same thing with Del Zotto, who has done quite well for himself after getting away from AV.

Teams aren't going to lose a current player for a player they can't watch and haven't seen in almost a year. Particularly not when they can just scout him in Hartford and then sign him after the expansion draft (because McI would need to be protected).

You can hate all you want. I'm done feeding you opportunity. But I honestly believe that by the end of next season, people will see McIlrath as a good 2nd pair guy (think a harder hitting version of Klein--another player who needed a long time to marinate before making the show full time).

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He's had 9 minutes this season. 9. After AV stapled his ass to the bench for the better part of LAST season (after a stretch of games where, statistically and from the eye test, he and Yandle were our best pairing).

Opposing GMs aren't allowed to watch practice. They scout players who ARE playing like crazy before they make a move.

As I said--AV hates the kid. Refused to play him. On the rare occasions when he DID play him, it was to put him in a position to fail (no leash whatsoever--one mistake and he was done for the night, playing him as a winger, etc). AV did the same thing with Del Zotto, who has done quite well for himself after getting away from AV.

Teams aren't going to lose a current player for a player they can't watch and haven't seen in almost a year. Particularly not when they can just scout him in Hartford and then sign him after the expansion draft (because McI would need to be protected).

You can hate all you want. I'm done feeding you opportunity. But I honestly believe that by the end of next season, people will see McIlrath as a good 2nd pair guy (think a harder hitting version of Klein--another player who needed a long time to marinate before making the show full time).

But you keep using this season as a reason he wasnt claimed. Other GMs and scouts got to watch him play any one of 35 games last year. His 1 game this year is hardly the reason he didnt get claimed. Lets not pretend this was his first call up and he didnt show much so GMs didnt get a good look.

Its also not like every NHL team doesnt scout AHL games as well. Im not "hating" him. Im just calling a spade a spade and apparently you disagree with me, but apparently every NHL GM and team pro scout disagree with you so we can leave it there

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thats a good recent one in memory. The point I was making (and I clearly dont know of every player in the NHL in the last 15 years that went through waivers at some point and blossomed) is that it is EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY rare, especially for dmen, that they go through waivers unclaimed and become something later

Guys like Rundblad and Gormley were comparable picks and actually showed more on the NHL level for longer, and in the end they couldnt get any team to take a flier on them for free when they were making very little money and they looked to have died their way out of the NHL for good

Gormley was taken 13th overall, played 58 NHL games, and cant get a call up or waiver claim anymore
Rundblad was taken 17th overall, played 115 NHL games, won a cup, and couldnt get a claim

I am just saying McIlrath is cut of the same cloth in terms of career arc

yeah I agree. I just had a good answer to the question.

When Hoffman went on waivers, I remember thinking I kinda wanted him, oh well, in hindsight it would have been one of the best claims in recent history

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
^^^^interesting that all the examples of guys getting waived, then turning it around, are forwards.

The fact that 29 GM's....AND COACHES....didn't like him enough to claim him is telling. I mention coaches because you would think their might be a coach who would be going to his GM asking him to claim DM because he fills a need on the team.

Personally, I am surprised no one rolled the dice on him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
^^^^interesting that all the examples of guys getting waived, then turning it around, are forwards.

The fact that 29 GM's....AND COACHES....didn't like him enough to claim him is telling. I mention coaches because you would think their might be a coach who would be going to his GM asking him to claim DM because he fills a need on the team.

Personally, I am surprised no one rolled the dice on him.

Forwards probably just get the longer opportunity to hang around and cut it since every AHL and NHL team carry, what, 15 forwards? Vs 8 dmen. More spots in the lineup to work out your issues

So dmen definitely have to make the most of their opportunities, but it definitely seems that most GMs are right when it comes to deciding to place a dman on waivers. It doesnt seem to really come back to bite any of them

Also, have to consider that its not only coaches and GMs ignored his claim, there are numerous pro scouts on every team whose job is exactly this, finding guys on other teams to keep tabs on to potentially trade, claim on waivers, or sign as upcoming free agents

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Opposing teams have had every bit as much exposure to him as you have. You don't think they have access to Gamecenter? :laugh: It's humorous how you keep insisting how much smarter you are than all NHL executives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad