Dustin Byfuglien - Part III

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If there is a gap and it looks like he might walk.... then trade his

african-wild-ass_img01-l.jpg

He obviously has some value and can be a force on the ice. If there are teams out there who really covet him and want to pay him something like 8 year X $8MM... then they have to look at trading him. You can't lose an asset like Buff for nothing.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
And here is exactly how rumors start out. By tomorrow you'll see stuff on the trade boards saying Buff is well over 280 and approaching 300 again :shakehead

I am not starting any rumors. I am asking a question if anyone knows his status. New flash for you - the hockey world has been exposed to Buff and past conditioning concerns.

I have been saying for months that his value has diminished since the ASB due to his play. His suspension and playoffs certainly didn't help. That's my opinion. If you don't agree, fine, say so. I am of the belief that we should move Buff this off season while his value is still on the high side from a trade perspective. I see him having a couple more good years as an undisciplined but high scoring D man. But not worth the money that he will bring as a UFA.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
There's a gap in every contract negotiation. That's why they're called negotiations.

That said, I'd be surprised if Buff is here past the deadline. He gon' get paid.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I am not starting any rumors. I am asking a question if anyone knows his status. New flash for you - the hockey world has been exposed to Buff and past conditioning concerns.

I have been saying for months that his value has diminished since the ASB due to his play. His suspension and playoffs certainly didn't help. That's my opinion. If you don't agree, fine, say so. I am of the belief that we should move Buff this off season while his value is still on the high side from a trade perspective. I see him having a couple more good years as an undisciplined but high scoring D man. But not worth the money that he will bring as a UFA.

Sigh. At what point did I say YOU were starting rumors? The answer is no point whatsoever, I said this is how rumors start. Have you not figured out yet that Free Press and Sun staff read these boards? It would get their articles lots of hits if "Buff is rumored by sources to be around 280 pounds this offseason." It's not like the media is overloaded with integrity. Only two off-seasons ago Lawless was beating the 300 pound horse as much as humanly possible.

I too have been saying for months we should move him as his value won't get higher.

So the question I'll then post directly to you is why would you think that Buff is 280? Do you not think he adequately bought into Maurice's fitness regime last year? Because I think he did a stellar job of coming into camp in great shape. I was worried post-Olympics he might slide, but quite the opposite. So why in the hell would you bring up Buff's weight? Sure, there's past history, but that was both during the Thrashers and Noel/Jets regime. Anything in recent history to suggest he's fat? Nope, not a damn thing.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I too have been saying for months we should move him as his value won't get higher.

So the question I'll then post directljy to you is why would you think that Buff is 280? Do you not think he adequately bought into Maurice's fitness regime last year? Because I think he did a stellar job of coming into camp in great shape. I was worried post-Olympics he might slide, but quite the opposite. So why in the hell would you bring up Buff's weight? Sure, there's past history, but that was both during the Thrashers and Noel/Jets regime. Anything in recent history to suggest he's fat? Nope, not a damn thing.

First bold - sounds like we are in agreement.

Second bold - I don't, I have no idea of his current weight hence my question to the community.

Why did I ask a question about his current weight? Because I believe that it could affect his current trade value and I believe that the Jets might consider moving him this off season and that since deals happens around the draft, if they were considering moving him now (around the draft) that might affect what we would get back now in a deal. Sorry for the run on sentence.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
So Lucic goes for the 13th pick, Jones and Miller.. I think Buff's value is very similar if not a little more due to being a top paring D man. looking back on some others views on his value.. Yikes

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
So Lucic goes for the 13th pick, Jones and Miller.. I think Buff's value is very similar if not a little more due to being a top paring D man. looking back on some others views on his value.. Yikes

That seems in the ballpark of what I had in mind for Buff for value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

First round picks are over-valued today.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The writing has been on the wall for a while. Enstrom-Buff are no long our team's top pairing - Buff has moved to the 3rd pairing behind Myers and Trouba.

I'm hoping we work a deal with Colorado for a Buff-O'Reilly swap.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The writing has been on the wall for a while. Enstrom-Buff are no long our team's top pairing - Buff has moved to the 3rd pairing behind Myers and Trouba.

I'm hoping we work a deal with Colorado for a Buff-O'Reilly swap.

I want no part of that guy. You want to talk about a guy that isn't going to be worth his contract

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Re sign Buff instead of giving him the **** away for nothing like all the other teams are doing.

And what do the Jets do if Buff makes an unreasonable contract demand? Re-sign him no matter what? Or trade him while he is at his highest value? Or do nothing and watch him walk away for nothing?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes because that's what I meant. You hate him as person.

I'm not sure exactly what your basing this on, getting rid of Buff. Is he getting up there? Yes. But I hardly think that the Jets are so fool hardy that they would sign him to an eight year contract when his best before date is quickly approaching.

I love you mention that he is 260lbs, but leave out the fact that he is 6'5". He's a big dude, but let's leave out the fat talk alright? It really has no place here and honestly I thought you knew better then that.

And what things don't you like? His play during the playoffs....when he was injured? But no one heard you.complain during the regular season when he out the entire team on his back and practically carried them to a playoff berth when our entire D was out. Not to mention his all star game berth.

Or maybe you don't like that he has bad games...when pretty much every single player has stretches of those...so yea

And what do you.mean lumber around the ice? He's actually pretty fast, and its not like players turn into pumpkins after the age of thirty. Plenty of defensemen over the years have stayed very effective late into life. Lidstrom, Pronger, Streit, Niedermeyer, Chelios, Boyle etc.)

Now as for me...I am in favor of whatever move gets the team the most wins and a Stanley Cup. If that's re-upping him or trading him. Makes no difference to me.

That's being objective.

Pardon?

Did I call him fat? Are you ignoring the fact that he has had conditioning issues his entire career?

Sorry, when you are talking about athletes their conditioning is CRITICAL. I'm not making any jokes here. He committed himself to conditioning this year and STILL was out of shape by the standards of most of todays NHL players. What happens when he gets older, slows down, and signs a 7 year deal?

You also think he is going to keep skating as fast as he does now? Players slow down, especially in their mid 30s. If Byfuglien loses a step he loses a HUGE advantage he uses now. You say plenty of defensemen stay effective into their 30's. You want to know what those players you list all had in common? CONDITIONING. They are exceptionally conditioned athletes. That is how you keep playing. That is how Selanne did it. That is how Roberts came back and did it after terrible back problems. Buff has shown he will never be conditioned like that.

This whole malarkey about carrying the team on his back. Did Pavelec also do that? Are there different rules for different players depending on whether you like them or not?

Buff played exceptionally well for a period this year when he had to prove himself at D. I gave him credit for that... was I supposed to still ***** about him then? I don't get that part at all. When a player plays well, I give them credit. Just as I did when Pavelec played well.

Byfuglien went back to his old ways right around the ASB, when Maurice said he was not going back to forward.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No trade......very worried now about our "plan" for Buff. Yikes

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Re sign Buff instead of giving him the **** away for nothing like all the other teams are doing.

There is alot of overpaid players that become boat anchors after they sign a big contract. This has the feels like another one. I don't know how the Jets management doesn't see this coming. Only way he is manageable is if he signs a 3-4 yr contract. which he wont.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
There is alot of overpaid players that become boat anchors after they sign a big contract. This has the feels like another one. I don't know how the Jets management doesn't see this coming. Only way he is manageable is if he signs a 3-4 yr contract. which he wont.

Agreed. Look for a 56 million dollar deal over 7 years....roughly. :cry:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maurice is already talking about using Buff on the 3-on-3 OT. Hope he's just blue-skying and it's not an omen.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff will be here. If not, we trade him for a similar return to O'reilly if the other team can be convinced Buff will resign there. If he's not here how's this:
Buff and Burmi to NYI for de Haan and Barzal

I think we got options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad