Movies: Dune: Part Two

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
From a visual/technical perspective, Dune Part 2 is jaw dropping; style is substance.

Not sure if it's one of my favorite sci-fi films after one viewing, but it's a top 3 theatre going experience, no questions asked. If I were to base my score on the cinematic aspect alone, it's a 10/10 all day.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I like how everyone else in the video is looking down at their cell phones instead of at him. I guess that they've seen too many dudes riding custom-made sandworms around theater lobbies to be impressed by it any more.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Best Sequel in a LONG time. Better than number one, was an incredible film. I dont have imax in my area but I can imagine it would be a treat to watch it.

The music, Acting, and the scenes were excellent. As echoed before me...they did rush a bit towards the end but a very beautiful film.
It's one of those fake sequels though. It's "no one will let us make a 5 hour movie so we'll make two 2.5 hour movies."

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Saw it yesterday.

Great experience. I was surprised how emotional the movie is. The whole thing was very intense.

It's not a perfect movie. Only time will tell if it's a classic. It's hard to tell in the moment IMO.

I don't like the color palette. It's either brown, or it's black and white. When you're staring at a screen for almost 3 hours, it'd be nice to get a bit of color.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Just got back. A few things I didn’t like.

1. Where was Paul’s son Leto? He was supposed to be born and then later killed.

2. Wasn’t Alia supposed to kill Baron Harkkonen? The movie had Paul killing him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Second viewing dulled the thrills to a minimal extent. Still just a fantastic experience in the theater. The worm ride sequence if just phenomenal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just got back. A few things I didn’t like.

1. Where was Paul’s son Leto? He was supposed to be born and then later killed.

2. Wasn’t Alia supposed to kill Baron Harkkonen? The movie had Paul killing him.
1. This doesn't bother me too much. If anything I think it would rob the movie of something. Watching Paul's ascendancy unfold, you can be left wondering how much of his plan, as far as eradicating the Harkkonens, is driven by his hunger for revenge and how much of it is just a collateral necessity for the future he envisions? And a third element can certainly be, how much of Paul's actions are guided by his own possible desire for power. Give him a son that gets killed in the fighting and you scale all that back and leave it unquestionable that he'd be heavily fueled by revenge.

I know it's a change from the book but I think it's a good one and the death of his first son really isn't necessary for this version of the story.

2. Again, I don't really think this translates to Denis' vision of this story, which is a commendable depiction rooted in Sci-fi realism. Having a four year old killing such a behemoth of a man would just be too goofy and out of place. Personally, I'm happy with the change but then again, I only read Dune once and recently so I don't have this deep rooted dedication to the accuracy of the source material.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
1. This doesn't bother me too much. If anything I think it would rob the movie of something. Watching Paul's ascendancy unfold, you can be left wondering how much of his plan, as far as eradicating the Harkkonens, is driven by his hunger for revenge and how much of it is just a collateral necessity for the future he envisions? And a third element can certainly be, how much of Paul's actions are guided by his own possible desire for power. Give him a son that gets killed in the fighting and you scale all that back and leave it unquestionable that he'd be heavily fueled by revenge.

I know it's a change from the book but I think it's a good one and the death of his first son really isn't necessary for this version of the story.

2. Again, I don't really think this translates to Denis' vision of this story, which is a commendable depiction rooted in Sci-fi realism. Having a four year old killing such a behemoth of a man would just be too goofy and out of place. Personally, I'm happy with the change but then again, I only read Dune once and recently so I don't have this deep rooted dedication to the accuracy of the source material.
Yeah same. I read the first three books after watching the first movie, and then I rewatched it. I didn’t have any issues with that one on the rewatch.

But seeing Alia, the abomination, was maybe the #1 thing I was most excited to see, especially since my brother didn’t read the books so I wanted to see his reaction to her existence. And that she’s the one to kill the Baron because I didn’t see that shit coming at all.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah same. I read the first three books after watching the first movie, and then I rewatched it. I didn’t have any issues with that one on the rewatch.

But seeing Alia, the abomination, was maybe the #1 thing I was most excited to see, especially since my brother didn’t read the books so I wanted to see his reaction to her existence. And that she’s the one to kill the Baron because I didn’t see that shit coming at all.
I just can't imagine how that can be done without being goofy and undercutting the dramatic impact of the end of the movie. I mean I hear what you're saying, I just think it would be better left for something like an animated project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad