Movies: Dune: Part Two

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Zero visual aesthetics, i'd like to see some shots of this alien world whish would not look like earth. Two main actors is not handsome and not interesting, and casted that bald idiot from marvel films was'nt great idea

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How far in the plot do you guys think this one will get to?
Should finish the first book right? So just before space genocide.

Zero visual aesthetics, i'd like to see some shots of this alien world whish would not look like earth. Two main actors is not handsome and not interesting, and casted that bald idiot from marvel films was'nt great idea
I mean - you may not like the visual language of the film, but to say there are "zero visual aesthetics" is a bonkers take.

Also, since Duncan Idaho is the real main character of the Dune saga Mamoa brings enough f***ability for the whole cast.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't watched any of the trailers, and I won't be watching any of the reviews until after I see the movie.

I want to be completely fresh and unbiased when I walk into the theater.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I kind of wonder how I'd feel about the first movie if I wasn't coming into it with having read the books 50 times and seen the two other adaptations. It's a good adaptation and everything but for something so formative to me specifically it's hard to separate.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Should finish the first book right? So just before space genocide.

I mean - you may not like the visual language of the film, but to say there are "zero visual aesthetics" is a bonkers take.

Also, since Duncan Idaho is the real main character of the Dune saga Mamoa brings enough f***ability for the whole cast.

I think he meant Dave Bautista/Drax/Rabban not Momoa/Duncan Idaho as the bald idiot from Marvel films

1708124904685.png

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Lol, ofcourse i meant him, he's just totally not suitable for these kind of movies. Anyway he and even planet looking like earth is not biggest problems of this film

I know. I'm just confirming you and telling Macho King that he's wrong.

And yes, the Planet looks like Arizona/New Mexico! The score from last film is awful too, random tribal screams from ladies sound like my cougar neighbor is having a good time with her new young boyfriend, its totally inappropriate for Dune.

Reactions: Jedub

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Love the book (and a sequel or two), hate the movies. Feels like a dumbed-down Marvelesque YA novel in comparison.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Love the book (and a sequel or two), hate the movies. Feels like a dumbed-down Marvelesque YA novel in comparison.
I feel like this is intentional. Dune, the novel as a whole, is unfilmable. The Sci-Fi Channel (sort of) tried to do it, and frankly failed.

What Villenueve is doing here is taking the basic plot, as well as the main message (what happens when you try to play God), and hyper-focusing on that, leaving out everything else because it's just too much.

Dune is my favorite book. I am quite happy with the decision to focus on the basic elements of the plot and leave out a ton.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Lol, ofcourse i meant him, he's just totally not suitable for these kind of movies. Anyway he and even planet looking like earth is not biggest problems of this film
He mentioned that the two main characters are not attractive. I mentioned that Idaho is the MC of the Dune series.
I feel like this is intentional. Dune, the novel as a whole, is unfilmable. The Sci-Fi Channel (sort of) tried to do it, and frankly failed.

What Villenueve is doing here is taking the basic plot, as well as the main message (what happens when you try to play God), and hyper-focusing on that, leaving out everything else because it's just too much.

Dune is my favorite book. I am quite happy with the decision to focus on the basic elements of the plot and leave out a ton.
I mean it's like any adaptation right? Find the core of it because you can never get the detail of a book in a movie. And I think they succeeded in that so far. And I think Dune Messiah may be received poorly if it maintains the thematic consistency.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

I don't agree with this. I have no problem not focusing on every detail, but what Villeneuve has done is make a Dune "sanded to dullness." It's a comic-book version of Dune.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I just don’t get it with part 1. Turned it off multiple times and never finished it. Movie kept showing the future over and over and over and not getting anywhere. I’ll usually watch any piece of crap too. It was visually stunning at times which I enjoyed.

Reactions: Jedub

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
And yet, I am still so excited for this.

I wont be watching Rings Of Power season two though. That hit a point of no return. But Dune 1 was good enough that I cant resist!!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Saw it last night and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Absolutely incredible. I think this is going to be a generational trilogy for SciFi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad