Movies: Dune: Part Two

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It was epic. Not perfect, but Villeneuve is a genius when it comes to creating a believable universe on screen. And that’s with a novel that was once considered to be unfilmable. I’m genuinely excited to see how far they can take it.

Beautiful cinematography, amazing sound design and brilliant acting.

Final act was rushed and I thought Christopher Walken had no presence as the emperor, but all in all just epic.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Incredible movie. Can't wait to watch it again. Best sequel to a movie in a long while, and this could be the best blockbuster trilogy since LOTR. The 3rd one can't come soon enough.
I get the sense from Villeneuve's comments that he might want to leave it a while. I really hope not and I'm curious to see how he bridges the gap. Messiah is a good decade after Dune.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I get the sense from Villeneuve's comments that he might want to leave it a while. I really hope not and I'm curious to see how he bridges the gap. Messiah is a good decade after Dune.
I'm not familiar with the lore but according to Wiki, Villeneuve is almost done with the script and has already given a copy to Zimmer who has started working on the score.

But if they need/want to take their time, they should absolutely do it. This is the kind of product that is worth the wait.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Villeneuve was pretty clear that he will take sometime before revisiting the 3rd movie.

That being said, if the movie break the 1 billion revenues outside pressure by the studio to deliver another final opus will be through the roof to capitalize on that hype.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm seeing it at the Chinese theater on Thursday in 70mm IMAX. Can't wait. It's been very difficult for me to not watch reviews and trailers etc.

The box office is looking somewhat similar to Oppenheimer's (which came close to 1B). That's very good. This is also good for the movie industry which has been hurting.

I'm happy for Denis. He's had some moderate success, but this is looking like his first real hit.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’m looking to see this in theatres but the one showing it in my city is dog shit with terrible sound and seating so I might wait until next weekend and go down to Victoria for the day and see it in Imax

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Good movie, book people will probably have issues with major changes to a major character.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Good movie, book people will probably have issues with major changes to a major character.
I personally liked the change. Friends of mine didn't. I thought it added some balance, but it'll be interesting to see how he tackles it in Messiah given the way Part 2 ended there.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
jiSEo4lDC6s.jpg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Unreal. Just....unreal. Have to watch this in IMAX if you can. That was epic. I've only been to three movies where the audience gave it a standing ovation at the end. LOTR: The Return of the King, The Dark Night and now Dune 2. I cannot wait for Messiah now.

I'm seeing it at the Chinese theater on Thursday in 70mm IMAX. Can't wait. It's been very difficult for me to not watch reviews and trailers etc.

The box office is looking somewhat similar to Oppenheimer's (which came close to 1B). That's very good. This is also good for the movie industry which has been hurting.

I'm happy for Denis. He's had some moderate success, but this is looking like his first real hit.
Arrival was amazing. My favorite Alien movie ever. Had no idea DV directed that until after I watched Dune 1.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So I only read the original book once and that was to know the source material before watching the movies since I've become a big fan of Villeneuve.

I can acknowledge there's some significant changes from the last third of Dune the novel to this story, but I think the changes service the story well.

I think it was spectacular and I echo that this is one movie that should definitely be seen in IMAX at least once. I rewatched part 1 with my brother yesterday in preparation for our viewing today and I would add that I really feel like the best way to enjoy the two parts is to set aside the hours needed to watch them back to back if you have the patience. I feel like taking them together, Villeneuve's Dune is a cinematic achievement in sci-fi in an era where it's become so hard to blow audiences away.

Minor spoilers
but the scene where Paul first rides a worm and the final battle both took my breath away. I mean the film is so beautifully shot from start to finish but those two sequences I feel like are going to stick with me for as long as I live as tentpole achievements in visual storytelling

The action is outstanding, the acting is terrific, the score is excellent, and the way the weaving workings of the story tie together are really well executed. I think Part 1 is very well done but Part 2 is excellent payoff for all its set up.

I don't know if I'm qualified to annoint it as a masterpiece or anything, but assuming Dune Messiah is adapted for a 'Part 3', which I see no reason why it won't be, it feels like we're living through a moment in pop culture history with the still ongoing release of an iconic trilogy.

I can't wait to see it again.

If I were to give any complaints, I'd say the final battle was just a little too easy for the Fremen/Paul. I mean I know that's how the story goes and there's something cathartic about the Atreides vengeance being so swift and ruthless but it really felt like a decisive defeat with virtually no resistance. And I know that was kind of the point but I felt like the climactic battle could've been enhanced with a bit more struggle.

And this is paralleled with how easily Gurney defeated Rabban. Three quick moves and the fight was over. For Gurney's big payoff, it just felt underwhelming. And it left Rabban kind of a lame duck of a character. He's depicted as this big and imposing force but you only ever see him yell and smash a guy's head in in the moments where he's not the face of the Harkkonen's failure at the hands of the Fremen. Maybe that was the point but it feels like a waste of Bautista's physical presence/stature.

And last I felt like the plot point with the Harkkonen-Atreides familial relations got doled out with a finger on the fast forward button. It's revealed so quickly and does little to really service the outcome in any meaningful way. Anyone who hasn't read the book might come away with it as a twist for the sake of a twist.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I simply think of better adaptation of Dune would have been impossible. I found it faithful to the books, the score was perfect, and the interpretation of the universe was awesome (costumes, technology, characters, sandworms, etc.) Even the logo was perfect.

My one question heading into the movie was how they would handle Alia, and I thought it was done cleverly and appropriately.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If I were to give any complaints, I'd say the final battle was just a little too easy for the Fremen/Paul. I mean I know that's how the story goes and there's something cathartic about the Atreides vengeance being so swift and ruthless but it really felt like a decisive defeat with virtually no resistance. And I know that was kind of the point but I felt like the climactic battle could've been enhanced with a bit more struggle.

And this is paralleled with how easily Gurney defeated Rabban. Three quick moves and the fight was over. For Gurney's big payoff, it just felt underwhelming. And it left Rabban kind of a lame duck of a character. He's depicted as this big and imposing force but you only ever see him yell and smash a guy's head in in the moments where he's not the face of the Harkkonen's failure at the hands of the Fremen. Maybe that was the point but it feels like a waste of Bautista's physical presence/stature.

And last I felt like the plot point with the Harkkonen-Atreides familial relations got doled out with a finger on the fast forward button. It's revealed so quickly and does little to really service the outcome in any meaningful way. Anyone who hasn't read the book might come away with it as a twist for the sake of a twist.
If I were to provide a "lore" reason for this, it's due to what happens next. Paul is about to take over the entire known universe with Fremen badassery, and he's going to do it quickly (although far from bloodlessly). There really can be no tense battle if the end result is a conquest that leaves the entire universe bowing to one man.

That's to say - part of the point of the last battle is to show that the known universe can't stand against the now mobilized Fremen.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also want to add, in relation to seeing it in IMAX, the sound mixing is almost perfect. There is one Tenet-esque moment where the score is blaring over dialogue and makes it hard to hear, but other than that I can't really recall a movie make such precise use of bass blaring to underscore certain events.

Like, it's not a spoiler since it was in the trailers but I'll still tag it for people who avoided trailers to go in fresh.

When Paul used the voice to shout "Silence" at the Reverend Mother Mohaim, like it sounded plenty intimidating in the trailer, but in the theater, it boomed and rattled the seats and walls. The theater quality ended heavily to the impact of the moment.

Just one reason I feel the movie should be experienced in IMAX or at least a Dolby theater at least once.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If I were to provide a "lore" reason for this, it's due to what happens next. Paul is about to take over the entire known universe with Fremen badassery, and he's going to do it quickly (although far from bloodlessly). There really can be no tense battle if the end result is a conquest that leaves the entire universe bowing to one man.

That's to say - part of the point of the last battle is to show that the known universe can't stand against the now mobilized Fremen.
I mean I can definitely see that. It's not a huge knock. As I said, the battle sequences were so breathtaking it hardly mattered, it was more me scrounging for criticisms. And I could add that the ease could have been thematic as neither the Harkkonen's nor the Emperor perceived the kind of threat they could face from the Fremen. It was only just starting to be understood that there could be Fremen populations in the South but no telling how dangerous they could be.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don't understand? Have you watched it?
Looking at this post from the first page, it doesn’t really seem like he has anything of substance to say about the movie.

Zero visual aesthetics, i'd like to see some shots of this alien world whish would not look like earth. Two main actors is not handsome and not interesting, and casted that bald idiot from marvel films was'nt great idea

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad