Movies: Dune: Part Two

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Recently re-watched the first movie and have 10x more appreciation for it. I've seen it a few times already but having now seen part 2 twice, part 1 is a lot more enthralling.

So I actually saw the movie. Liked it but I kind of want to go into some of my thoughts as a guy who loves the books, likes the Lynch version, and wanted to drill down on what this hits and misses with the source material (on it's own merits the movie is great, but as an adaptation there are some stuff which I would call missed opportunities or just decisions that I kind of wish went the other way).

So I think DV's Dune is... afraid? unwilling? isn't interested in? the absolute batshit weirdness of the Dune saga. It's a series where the son of a prescient emperor decides to become a gigantic, nigh-immortal worm to guide humanity into the future. It's a series where the ultimate main character is a guy who dies off screen in the first book but keeps coming back as a clone who continues to die in more and more interesting ways over thousands of years, and defeats the plots of the Bene Gesserit (or their eventual offshoot) by being really good at sex. Despite playing with *some* weirdness, DV's Dune feels way too normal.

Okay he made Geidi Prime and the Harkonnens stylized in interesting ways, and I think he played really well with the visuals of the film. And I don't hate his solution to Alia. But the spice - so central to the books - feels like it could be replaced with unobtanium pretty easily. The lack of the Spacing Guild at the end, using their limited ability to see the future and realize how bent over the barrel Paul had them makes me sad. The lack of digging into just how f***ing weird Mentats are (and that Paul was trained as a Mentat). And the lack of the weirding way.

DV's movie is really good, and it's a consistent vision and honestly getting that budget probably depended on making some trade offs on the weird shit. But I love the weird shit. The weird shit is the best part of Lynch's incredibly flawed adaptation. Honestly the best part of the Dune series is describing the batshit plot to other people when they ask what it's about. And a lot of that is missing and it makes me a little sad.

From someone who hasn't read the books and has only seen Villenueve's films, I'm not sure getting any more weird would translate to a huge audience. There's already so much to keep track of and learn.

Reactions: Filppula

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Recently re-watched the first movie and have 10x more appreciation for it. I've seen it a few times already but having now seen part 2 twice, part 1 is a lot more enthralling.

From someone who hasn't read the books and has only seen Villenueve's films, I'm not sure getting any more weird would translate to a huge audience. There's already so much to keep track of and learn.
I get it. Like I said I really liked the film we got. I just long for the adaptation of Dune that exists in the ether that completely embraces the weirdness.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Surprised no one bumped this. I have my doubts on the possibility of doing a good adaptation of Messiah, but I also had doubts about doing a good adaptation of Dune, so...

edit: X embeds are so inconsistent. Dune Messiah has entered initial production

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
edit: X embeds are so inconsistent.
Embedding won't work with X/Twitter if you use the "Insert link" button. You need to paste the URL into your post (remembering to changing "x.com" to "twitter.com" first) and the board will do the rest. You can fix your post by editing out the URL tags around the link.

Reactions: HanSolo

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I thought this was the Fremen Walk.

1712684319252.gif

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Yes.I have not read the books and I came to the conclusion that the spectator/wide audience are bombarded about heritage, characters, politics, faction, religion, war, love, world building and even vengeance If you add all the weirdiness you would only grasp the attention of the hardcore fanbase and lose everybody else. Only way you could manage to do that would be in a TV series with low budget as the hardcore dune fanbase is not really like marvel or starwars in term of numbers over many seasons.

Overall, I would say be happy that the studios accepted to do 3 movies out of it because even with all the positive reviews it is not a massive blockbuster success.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yes.I have not read the books and I came to the conclusion that the spectator/wide audience are bombarded about heritage, characters, politics, faction, religion, war, love, world building and even vengeance If you add all the weirdiness you would only grasp the attention of the hardcore fanbase and lose everybody else. Only way you could manage to do that would be in a TV series with low budget as the hardcore dune fanbase is not really like marvel or starwars in term of numbers over many seasons.
Dune is my favorite novel, and a formative influence in my life, and I agree entirely. The plot and the key characterization is already long enough - we don't need to focus on all sorts of things that are only critical when you add in all of the details, just hyperfocus on the main plot.

Reactions: Osprey

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Overall, I would say be happy that the studios accepted to do 3 movies out of it because even with all the positive reviews it is not a massive blockbuster success.
700 million for a 3 hour movie that plays a little with philosophy and politics... That has to be a massive success. Like I'm sure there's some Hollywood accounting that says "it doesn't make a profit until it clears 500 million" or whatever but the chances of that not being total bullshit is approximately 0.01%. Hell they're probably factoring in the bath they had to take on the first film releasing during Covid in their profitability figures.

Anyway if they don't do all the way to God Emperor they're f***ing cowards.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
700 million for a 3 hour movie that plays a little with philosophy and politics... That has to be a massive success. Like I'm sure there's some Hollywood accounting that says "it doesn't make a profit until it clears 500 million" or whatever but the chances of that not being total bullshit is approximately 0.01%. Hell they're probably factoring in the bath they had to take on the first film releasing during Covid in their profitability figures.

Anyway if they don't do all the way to God Emperor they're f***ing cowards.
You see it now, but they had to finance these movies. There is always a risk to lose it all.

Look at other movies this year, Argylle, Madame Web, they lost so much money.

There was a huge risk with Dune especially to finance two part. I believe, in the end, they chose the right director for it.

quickeyg

Nov 16, 2018
United Kingdom
Dune Part 1 and Dune Part 2 I attended at the cinema - not complaining one bit. They didn't check my bag for the sparkling water hehehe (Super saver) Looking forward to Dune Part 3: Messiah.

Also, I think the director Denis is under pressure to deliver (He has delivered)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad