Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part III

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We could have a whole thread about well-known players who went to the Rangers late in their careers, starting to get washed-up, and then retired or almost retired after the NYR stint... "What are you doing in that NYR uniform?":

Some additions, following this theme...

48586-67Fr.jpg

Marty McSorley
, who spent 13 games, four of them in the playoffs, with the Blueshirts.

kurri.jpg

Jari Kurri
, who came over in the same trade that landed McSorley, played 14 regular season games and 11 more in the playoffs before leaving as a free agent.

sawchuk.jpg

Terry Sawchuk spent the final eight games of his legendary career with the New York Rangers.

normal.png

The Maple Leafs traded Tim Horton to the Rangers in 1970. He spent the entire 1970-71 season in New York, but I still find it odd seeing him in this uniform.

Ryane+Clowe+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+SvOFh9IFLWMl.jpg

Ryan Clowe was traded to New York in 2013 and put up eight points in 12 games with the Rangers before exiting as a free agent to New Jersey.

New+York+Rangers+v+Los+Angeles+Kings+_OsuJtqHZ6ml.jpg

Olli Jokinen joined the Rangers during the 2009-10 season and spent 26 games with them.

derekmorris.jpg

Derek Morris' Rangers career spanned 18 regular season and 7 playoff games.

ozo2.jpg

Sandis Ozolinsh played forty games split over two seasons with the Rangers and put up 17 points. He finished up his career the following year in San Jose before heading back overseas.

10367602-large.jpg

Though it wasn't near the end of his career, Petr Sykora's 40-game Rangers career is easily forgotten.

PTDC0033_20120415311.gif

Kevin Hatcher's second last season in the NHL was spent with the Rangers.

87d9246008bd82950e3c2d1c68c4c4e6.jpg

Russ Courtnall spent 14-regular season games and 15-playoff games with the Rangers before finishing his career with two seasons with the Los Angeles Kings.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wow, I didn't know that Dallas Smith played for the Rangers when he was 76 years old. ;)

... :laugh: ya no kiddin eh? Most amusing.... When were young, kids, anyone over 30 considered "old" however back in the day, sans helmets, almost ALL of the players in the NHL during the last decade of the 06 era seemed "old". And a lot of them were in fact. Most looking to be into their late 30's, 40's, some looking to be well into their 50's. Dallas Smith a good example. Others like Bob Baun. Johnny McKenzie etc. All of them really. Indeterminate ages. Somewhere between 30 & 60. Fresh faced rookies rare, few & far between.... Today I look at players, a great many barely looking like they shave, in about Grade 10 maybe. And its not just me, that Ive aged & so only naturally see them all for being youthful. Just look at the differences viewing team photos over the decades. Unreal. But thats what the games become. A game of youth. Players on ELC's, here today & gone tomorrow.

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Maloney, Russell, Gillies and Paiement on Buffalo?!... excellent post, HowieHodge!

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh yeah, the fading stars that wind up on the Rangers, in their "Jets" uniforms no less...

Carol Vadnais
10164504.jpg

SealsFan, we should refer to these as the "Fergie" uniforms as it was John Ferguson that cursed both the Rangers and Jets with this look. I always maintain that if it wasn't for Ferguson, the Jets would have entered the NHL with their WHA look (below) instead.

moffat2.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Great shots of both Johnny & Carol..... and the former 80 or not, Johnny one of my favorites, had a lot of "cool" going on. Sort of a cross between Paul Newman as Hud & what James Dean mightve been like if he'd lived longer. Johnny just kinda had that dirty nosed swagger to him as well but in a healthier, more wholesome & clean cut way. You look at that guy, that picture, you think Drive-In's, Ducktail haircuts, Levis & t-shirts, actual service at gas stations, pickup's loaded down with hay bales outside the Co-Op, Quonset Hut arenas on the prairies in the 50's... Johnny dancing a jig, the "Choke Dance" in front of the Rangers & their fans...

Reactions: SealsFan

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Johnny and Danny Gare are two of my all time favorite players. Same size as me(in the day) and an ask no quarter - give no quarter style of play.

Of course both were a hella lot more talented than I could have ever dreamed of being! :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad