Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part III

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I notice Billy Smith stopped wearing his, he could donate it...........:laugh:

Chico Resch, Bobby Smith, Steve Durbano, Rick Wilson (Not to be confused with Rik Wilson), are we missing any wig wearers?
In Hull's case (as with Lafleur but after he retired), wasn't it a hair transplant ?

I have a vague inkling it might be the case.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
23376631_10155703505415900_5356959525359376250_n-600x400.jpg

One that should have always been and still I thought I will never get to see.

(Darius Kasparaitis, 45, recently debuting for Lithuania)

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
In Hull's case (as with Lafleur but after he retired), wasn't it a hair transplant ?

I have a vague inkling it might be the case.

Killion will be here shortly. He loves to recount the tale of how a player accidentally yanked off Hull's hairpiece in the WHA during a scuffle, and apologized...

Reactions: Killion

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Killion will be here shortly. He loves to recount the tale of how a player accidentally yanked off Hull's hairpiece in the WHA during a scuffle, and apologized...

Hey SealsFan, I was actually at that game when Hull's hairpiece was ripped off. It was on April 14, 1978 during game 1 of the quarter finals between the Birmingham Bulls and Winnipeg Jets. A brawl was taking place on the ice between numerous players when Steve Durbano of the Bulls grabbed Hull and as the two players wrestled, Durbano grabbed Hull's hair and pulled so hard that the hairpiece came right off Hull's head. I was totally shocked as I had thought Hull had a hair transplant and that his hair was real up to that point. That was when I realized he wore a hairpiece. After the incident, Hull left the ice and didn't return until the following period and donned a helmet for the remainder of that game. The next time they lined up, Durbano said "I'm so sorry Mr. Hull" to which Bobby replied "Don't worry about it kid, I needed a new one anyway".

images

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Admit it. Youre a bit sour for not getting to write a colourful story yourself. :laugh::naughty:

.... :laugh: actually.... no. Only thing better than sharing them is hearing or reading them from others for the first time.... besides, got lots of Bobby Hull stories though many of em 'X' Rated... unfit to post here.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
.... :laugh: actually.... no. Only thing better than sharing them is hearing or reading them from others for the first time.... besides, got lots of Bobby Hull stories though many of em 'X' Rated... unfit to post here.

Ew. Why do you carry around xrated stories of Bobby Hull..? Go to a hypnotist and get rid of them.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I also have a few Hull stories that I could never share in a public forum. And I've got a few Hull stories where I remember the beginning very well, the middle part of the story gets a little bit murky and the end of the story I only know from other people telling me, if you follow what I'm saying.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I also have a few Hull stories that I could never share in a public forum. I also have a few Hull stories where I remember the beginning very well, the middle part of the story gets a little bit murky and the end of the story I only know from other people telling me, if you follow what I'm saying.

.... indeed I do.... thing is, in telling them or hearing them, best not to be terribly judgmental... glass houses n'all... Boy Scouts tend to be pretty boring.... and of course if you came of age in the 60's, 70's, into the 80's..... well..... so when your traveling back into your own past through the space-time continuum in your minty 49 Ford Prefect & you see someone zipping by into the future.... best not to make eye contact Ferris.... facial recognition... busted. :naughty:

Reactions: SealsFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
.... indeed I do.... thing is, in telling them or hearing them, best not to be terribly judgmental... glass houses n'all... Boy Scouts tend to be pretty boring.... and of course if you came of age in the 60's, 70's, into the 80's..... well..... so when your traveling back into your own past through the space-time continuum in your minty 49 Ford Prefect & you see someone zipping by into the future.... best not to make eye contact Ferris.... facial recognition... busted. :naughty:

Bobby's got some warts, and he's said and done some things that I absolutely cannot and will not defend. But he's also one of the most charismatic, sweet, funny and entertaining people I ever met in hockey and every time we've got together, we've had a blast.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Bobby's got some warts, and he's said and done some things that I absolutely cannot and will not defend. But he's also one of the most charismatic, sweet, funny and entertaining people I ever met in hockey and every time we've got together, we've had a blast.

Indeed. The past a different country. They do things differently back there so to be judging through the prisms of modern day... just not on... though sure, of course certain crimes & misdemeanors, behavioural foibles as unacceptable then as they are now. Bobby Hull has acknowledged such, sought atonement. Who are we, you or I to judge another? **** happens in life and ya, bad things happen to good people sometimes.

Bobby a good person, beyond great on so many levels. Wonderful raconteur, sharing stories... his love for the game even all these years later shines beyond bright. Sad to see his physical deterioration of the past 10-15yrs. Something very wrong there and as Gare Joyce in his book The Devil & Bobby Hull hypothesizes he could well be suffering from CTE, undiagnosed & chronic post concussion syndrome that may or may not have along with his pre-existing addictive personality traits (booze & women), nasty mix when all combined resulting in a whole lot of ugly.... to wit Im quite certain no one more appalled at or about than Bobby Hull himself is. His own harshest critic. And thats the way it should be. Man up. Take responsibility. He's done that & continues to do so.

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
5078-304Fr.jpg
Rob Brown played 2 games with the Kings in 95.
goalie-grant-fuhr-of-the-los-angeles-kings-looks-on-during-an-nhl-picture-id53124527
Grant Fuhr in his horrible run with the Kings, of course he goes to St Louis and becomes the showstopper again.
mar-06-2007-chicago-il-usa-los-angeles-kings-sean-burke-against-at-picture-id110386458
Sean Burke at 40 stopping pucks during the dark times.
season-eddie-shack-battles-past-brad-park-and-arnie-brown-2870-picture-id53132797
Eddie Shack fighting off Brad Park and Arnie Brown.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
chabot.jpg

Lorne Chabot, who played 6 games for the New York Americans in 1936-37.

chabot.jpg

Prior to that he spent 16 games with the Montreal Maroons in 1935-36.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I notice a lot of Getty Image preview shots here ... When I tried to post those pics, they wouldn't show up... What am I missing?
I hope someone has an answer because I've been trying to use Getty pics in some of my hockey board game project reports online and even when I download the pic to my PC first and then go to attach it, I get a generic icon showing that the pic won't display. It shows as this icon even in my file folder on my PC.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I hope someone has an answer because I've been trying to use Getty pics in some of my hockey board game project reports online and even when I download the pic to my PC first and then go to attach it, I get a generic icon showing that the pic won't display. It shows as this icon even in my file folder on my PC.

Yup, same thing, I was trying to do a post her for some Buffalo Sabres guys that "looked weird in that uniform" and several of the pics could only be sourced to Getty, but when I added the pics to the post, it would come up as an X.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
exp-71-12958453-jpg.jpg

Uwe Krupp raising the Stanley Cup as a Red Wing in 2002....

Most people probably know of Krupp's whole dog sledding/injury/suspension debacle from back when he signed a 4yr/$16.4M deal with the Wings, but what's sometimes forgotten is that he actually returned for the last year of the deal. That last year happened to be the fabled Hall of Famer loaded 01-02 Cup winning year for Detroit. I think there were even some lawsuits still going over the whole thing....

And it wasn't really just a tryout to begin with. He was penciled in for a regular spot in one of the openings left by the departures of Larry Murphy, Todd Gill and Aaron Ward. Another Dman that was brought in for one of those spots might be another good candidate for this thread, Freddy Olausson.

Unfortunately, Krupp started the year on IR after injuring his shoulder in one of their last pre-season games. He came back for 2 games in October but was still having issues. He eventually had surgery in January, before returning for the last 6 games of the regular season. His return coincided with an odd funk where the powerhouse Wings finished the season 0-3-2-1 in those 6 games. Never the less, Bowman tabbed Krupp to get a regular spot to start the playoffs. In games 1 and 2 of the 1st round, Krupp played in the top 4 but the funk continued as they dropped games 1 and 2 to 8th seeded Vancouver in Detroit. Krupp was a combined -5 in the 2 games. They switched to the previously mentioned Olausson for game 3 and didn't make any other changes to the blue line until Fischer got hurt and missed game 5 of the SCF, where they went with Jiri Slegr instead of Krupp.

Krupp then took his Cup ring and signed with the Thrashers, where he played 4 games in an injury filled season before quietly retiring.

Here is an interesting read about the Krupp vs. Red Wings dogsledding debacle and his return to the team in 2001: MITCH ALBOM ON: KRUPP V. WINGS: 'I WANT MY REPUTATION BACK'DOG-EAT-DOG LEGAL BATTLE RAGES ON OVER $12.3 MILLION » Mitch Albom

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer and Killion

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Bobby Smith...hideously ugly (worse than Brind'Amour imho) but he had a rug. Started wearing it in the mid 80's I think

62.jpg
Halifax-Mooseheads-majority-owner-Bobby-Smith-The-Canadian-Press.jpg

Also remember Pierre Marc Bouchard. I remember when he was drafted at 18 he was losing a bunch of it and by 20 or 21 he was full on Patrick Stewart.

Reactions: Fixxer and Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad