Jagr.jpg

cropped_modano.jpg

cropped_Screen_Shot_2014-11-27_at_11.41.54_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2014-11-27_at_11.43.14_AM.png

eric-lindros-blue-jays.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
To reiterate some points I brought up in the previous threads:

- please post the player's name. Don't assume everyone will know who it is.

- the best candidates are players who are strongly identified with one or two teams, then wind up with one or more teams for brief stints at the end of their careers. A picture of a player in a uniform before playing on the NHL team he is strongly identified with is less effective, i.e. a player in a minor league or juniors uniform. Also a player in a world cup, olympic or international uniform is less effective. The concept works best when kept within the context of the NHL (or the NHL/WHA in some cases).

Example: Harry Howell, 15 years on the NY Rangers backline, finishes his career looking way out of place on the LA Kings, California Golden Seals and 4 WHA teams (NY Golden Blades, New Jersey Knights, San Diego Mariners, Calgary Cowboys)

Another: Tim Horton, 20 years in Leafs threads, finishes up with the Penguins and Sabres.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Cant find a picture of him SF (maybe you can?) but Gary Bergman would also fit that category of a Horton for eg whereas you cant really think back & think of him in a Penguins or Sabres uniform without it feeling a bit "odd, off".... Bergman while not a huge guy (5'11" app 188lbs) was as steady as a Rock on the Red Wings Blue-Line for the decade that straddled the 67/68 Expansion. Ultimate Stay-At-Home-Defender that really any team during the 06 or post Expansion period wouldve loved to have had. Selected to play on Team Canada in 72, paired with Brad Park, one of only 7 players that Sinden dressed for all 8 games & gave him plenty of ice-time. Unsung Hero really. Quite a distinctive player, stuck out not only due to his play but so too his bald pate, "follically challenged" so to speak.... Wound up in Minnesota for a year before being traded back to Detroit, very respectable points throughout his career & never really slowing down, then winds up for one final season in ignominy with the Kansas City Scouts in their one & only season in the league.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
My favorite thread ever. I'm always happy too see it back on the first page.

978096450_orig.jpg

(sorry tiny pic)

Jason Muzzatti only game as a Shark. Rangers/Wolfpack gear

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Doug Mohns, perennial Bruin and Blackhawk, finishes up with 29 games with the second-year Atlanta Flames and a full season with the horrific expansion Washington Capitals! That'll age you in a hurry!

MOHNS-obit-web-master180.jpg

Capitals-1.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Defenseman Arnie Brown, 7 years with the Rangers, toils with the first-year Islanders, the second-year Atlanta Flames and the WHA Vancouver Blazers, Michigan Stags/Baltimore Blades at the end of his career. No decent pics that I could find...

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Do guys in the right team but a different uniform at the tail end/beginning count? (i.e. Hasek's last year in Buffalo was when they introduced that early-mid 2000s alternate red uni)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A bit obvious, but nothing has ever looked worse to me than this:
gretzky_2.jpg
11397.jpg

Uggh.

Where to start with this next one? Robitaille in a Pens' jersey is just wrong. Jagr's hair is unfathomable. And why is Jagr trying to feed Robitaille (both dressed for hockey) a sardine, whilst Luc holds an un-opened can?
cut.jpg

Reactions: Sensinitis

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Do guys in the right team but a different uniform at the tail end/beginning count? (i.e. Hasek's last year in Buffalo was when they introduced that early-mid 2000s alternate red uni)

I generally say no. The concept is more that a player is strongly identified with a certain team or teams, rather than the uniform, and he looks out of place on a different team regardless of which uniform they are using at the time (even though the thread title says "uniform").

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Defenseman Arnie Brown, 7 years with the Rangers, toils with the first-year Islanders, the second-year Atlanta Flames and the WHA Vancouver Blazers, Michigan Stags/Baltimore Blades at the end of his career. No decent pics that I could find...

Yeah I always think of him in a Rangers uniform, paired with Harry Howell & then later on with Brad Park. Prototypical Stay-At-Home Defenceman. Came up through St Mikes where he won the Memorial Cup in 1961 with Gerry Cheevers. I remember him when he was Leafs property and looked like a real Keeper but no, he was traded to NY along with Dick Duff, Bob Nevin, Rod Seiling & Bill Collins for Andy Bathgate & Don McKenney. Playing with Park in NY, the Orr era whereby Defenceman were being called upon to be a lot more mobile in general he blew his knee's out & that was really the beginning of the end, never fully recovered. Traded to Detroit, then on to the Islanders & Flames, used sparingly, finishing up with a couple of years in the WHA.

Reactions: SealsFan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Doug Mohns, perennial Bruin and Blackhawk, finishes up with 29 games with the second-year Atlanta Flames and a full season with the horrific expansion Washington Capitals! That'll age you in a hurry!

MOHNS-obit-web-master180.jpg

Yeah, quite the lengthy career. Was a standout Left Winger in Junior winning 2 Memorial Cups with Hap Emms & the Barrie Flyers, the Bruins Jr Club. Converted to a Defenceman in Boston and paired with Fernie Flaman. Mobile, aggressive, scored 20 goals one season only the 2nd NHL Defenceman in history up until that point to do so. Eventually traded to Chicago where he was converted back to the Wing (after spending 11yrs in Boston on the Blue-Line) playing on the Scooter Line with Stan Mikita & Kenny Wharram and some great years with the Black Hawks.... Like Hull, Mohns "follically challenged". One of if not the first NHL player to wear a toupee (so no, thats not his own hair in the picture above, staples, Elmers Glue, good to go), Bobby possibly taking his lead from Dougie?.... something I sometimes wonder about SF... in the empty vacuum of whats left of my mind....

... anyhoo... Skinhead there gets traded to the North Stars for Danny O'Shea in 71, O'Shea an enigmatic potential "Star" and extremely popular even to this day in Minnesota despite only playing 3 seasons there and in the early days of the franchise considered its "face" & future to a large degree. Center, 6'1" & pushing 200lbs, excellent skater & stickhandler. O'Shea was originally Montreal property & started his Jr career with Peterborough but didnt get along with Scotty Bowman, traded to Oshawa where he played with Bobby Orr & O'Shea himself quite the force, wracking up the points RS & Playoffs.... Chicago didnt keep O'Shea for long though, traded yet again to St. Louis where he played for a couple of years before returning to Minnesota & playing for the Fighting Saints of the WHA, then retired, still lives in the State of Hockey.... as for Mohns, he "semi-retired" to the Blue-Line, playing it conservatively, Stay-At-Home Defenceman, lengthening his career, able to cash in a bit having spent the best years of his career in Boston & Chicago under the penurious ownership of the Bruins & Blackhawks of the 50's & 60's and hopefully cashing in even more, post career getting in on the ground floor with an investment in Sy Sperlings Hair Club for Men....

Last edited:
Reactions: Conbon and SealsFan

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
A bit obvious, but nothing has ever looked worse to me than this:
gretzky_2.jpg
11397.jpg

Uggh.

Where to start with this next one? Robitaille in a Pens' jersey is just wrong. Jagr's hair is unfathomable. And why is Jagr trying to feed Robitaille (both dressed for hockey) a sardine, whilst Luc holds an un-opened can?
cut.jpg

They're Penguins... get it?

Reactions: Sensinitis

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Thanks Killion, always appreciate when you fill in the details on these players...

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah, quite the lengthy career. Was a standout Left Winger in Junior winning 2 Memorial Cups with Hap Emms & the Barrie Flyers, the Bruins Jr Club. Converted to a Defenceman in Boston and paired with Fernie Flaman. Mobile, aggressive, scored 20 goals one season only the 2nd NHL Defenceman in history up until that point to do so. Eventually traded to Chicago where he was converted back to the Wing (after spending 11yrs in Boston on the Blue-Line) playing on the Scooter Line with Stan Mikita & Kenny Wharram and some great years with the Black Hawks.... Like Hull, Mohns "follically challenged". One of if not the first NHL player to wear a toupee (so no, thats not his own hair in the picture above, staples, Elmers Glue, good to go), Bobby possibly taking his lead from Dougie?.... something I sometimes wonder about SF... in the empty vacuum of whats left of my mind....

... anyhoo... Skinhead there gets traded to the North Stars for Danny O'Shea in 71, O'Shea an enigmatic potential "Star" and extremely popular even to this day in Minnesota despite only playing 3 seasons there and in the early days of the franchise considered its "face" & future to a large degree. Center, 6'1" & pushing 200lbs, excellent skater & stickhandler. O'Shea was originally Montreal property & started his Jr career with Peterborough but didnt get along with Scotty Bowman, traded to Oshawa where he played with Bobby Orr & O'Shea himself quite the force, wracking up the points RS & Playoffs.... Chicago didnt keep O'Shea for long though, traded yet again to St. Louis where he played for a couple of years before returning to Minnesota & playing for the Fighting Saints of the WHA, then retired, still lives in the State of Hockey.... as for Mohns, he "semi-retired" to the Blue-Line, playing it conservatively, Stay-At-Home Defenceman, lengthening his career, able to cash in a bit having spent the best years of his career in Boston & Chicago under the penurious ownership of the Bruins & Blackhawks of the 50's & 60's and hopefully cashing in even more, post career getting in on the ground floor with an investment in Sy Sperlings Hair Club for Men....

Thanks for these great player vignettes - kind of ties a lot of hockey history together as seen through each individual's career. Just saw a blurb about O'Shea in an old Fighting Saints program I found online - we forget some of those players if not reminded by a post like yours or an old program. A note about the Modano picture a few posts above: In one sense, it looks a little jarring to see him in that red uniform; on the other hand, it's something pretty cool. The pride of Livonia, Michigan gets to come home and finish his career out with the hometown team. I'm sure a lot of players dream of being able to do that at some point in their careers.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
cut.jpg

Easy explanation: Luc had just finished off a can of sardines and they are getting ready to start round two.

keithacton.jpeg.size.custom.crop.469x650.jpg

J-S Giguere, Toronto Maple Leafs (2009-11; 48 GP, 17-18-6, .908, 2.57 GAA, 2 SO)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I thought somebody listed Mike Palmateer in this thread or the last pages of "Dude...II", but I can't find anything showing him so...

81-82+OPC+Mike+Palmateer.jpg

Mike Palmateer, Washington Capitals (1980-82; 60 GP, 20-26-11, 4.35 GAA)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I honestly forgot about Recch's time in Atlanta until about 5 min ago. You can probably do two full pages on players that passed through Atlanta.

mark_recchi_tribute_fans_in_each_of_his_nhl_cities_look_back.jpg

GettyImages-78737801.jpg

Mark Recchi, Atlanta Thrashers (2007-08; 53 GP, 12 G, 28 A, 40 PTS, 20 PIM)

recchi122309.jpg

...and Carolina Hurricanes (2006; 20 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 PTS, 12 PIM)

Reactions: Fixxer

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Brian+Elliott+Edmonton+Oilers+v+Colorado+Avalanche+gwjhKIiD2Dll.jpg

Brian Elliott, went 2-8-1 with a 3.83 GAA

kevin-bieksa-of-the-vancouver-canucks-tries-to-stop-claude-lemieux-of-picture-id84383891

Claude Lemiuex in 2009 at age 43, after not having played in the NHL since 2003.

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
This one caught me by surprise. Tiger Williams as a Wing (55 games to match his uniform number!)...

williams_slide.jpg

...and a Whaler (26 games - one more than his uniform number!)...

portrait-of-canadian-professional-hockey-player-dave-tiger-williams-picture-id52448326

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Nedved representing Canada:

1006hockey-nedved7-v6.jpg

Nedved representing his homeland:

petr-nedved-retires-hockey.jpg

In a similar note:

Peter Stastny with Canada during the 1984 Canada Cup
slovakborn-professional-hockey-player-peter-stastny-of-team-canada-picture-id53316422

And while it was his homeland, was unusual to see him with Slovakia at the 1994 Olympics and 1995 Word Championships. For the latter Slovakia was in the B-Pool (having to start at the bottom while the Czechs were kept at the top), and Stastny helped them win promotion to the top level for 1996 (leading the tournament in scoring), where they've been since:
P.Stastny-Slovakia.jpg

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
In a similar note:

Peter Stastny with Canada during the 1984 Canada Cup
slovakborn-professional-hockey-player-peter-stastny-of-team-canada-picture-id53316422

And while it was his homeland, was unusual to see him with Slovakia at the 1994 Olympics and 1995 Word Championships. For the latter Slovakia was in the B-Pool (having to start at the bottom while the Czechs were kept at the top), and Stastny helped them win promotion to the top level for 1996 (leading the tournament in scoring), where they've been since:
P.Stastny-Slovakia.jpg

Anyone know who that goalie is? The helmet is instantly recognizable, but it's obviously not that guy. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad