Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Antoine Vermette to 2-year deal (1.75m AAV)

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I've been adamant about wanting Rakell at wing for a while, and while I hope this means he goes there, I'm not completely convinced. This could be just a Thompson replacement, and they may see Wagner as a winger.

This is a two year play by Bob IMO. Thompson has had two major injuries/surgeries the last two years and is at the end of his contract. With the two year deal they just gave Vermette, they must see him at 3rd line center the next two years. Wagner at Center this year, until Thompson is back, then Wagner to wing. Then next year you have Vermette and Wagner as 3C and 4C at a great price.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Offensive zone play:

Kesler or Vermette wins faceoff, pass back to Vatanen for one timer. Goal or stoppage, rinse repeat.

Play 2:

Getzlaf's weird shot attempt from faceoff that never works, rinse repeat.

Ive never seen Getzlaf do anything successful from that horrible faceoff shot. Has anyone else?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like the forward shot thing worked once. Can't really pin it down though. Just remember thinking "whoa, that worked?"

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If that's the case.. We'll probably see:

Ritchie Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette x
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll

There's potential for the top 9 to have 6 players score more than 20 goals(Getz, Perry, Silf, Kes, Rakell, Vermette) and whoever we add can maybe score as well. Tatar?

That Rakell Getz Perry line was unbelievable last year when they put it together. Without Perron I think it makes a ton of sense to put it back together. Putting Ritchie with Getz and Perry is a waste because Ritchie is invisible out there with them and frequently loses possession. Putting Rakell with Vermette and x is probably a waste as well because you arent going to get much production out of him on that line. Rakell is a great player but he needs some strong forwards that are capable of winning possession and maintaining possession. If he doesnt have that he is largely a wasted talent at this point in his career. Maybe in a year or two he'll be able to carry a line.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
When you guys say the forward faceoff shot "worked" does that mean got through the net,, or resulted in a goal?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I think we're going to need another scoring winger added before the season starts. 4th line isn't going to score much at all and the only player on the 2nd line who can consistently score is Kesler so feels like we're still going to be short of goals as it stands. We're basically relying on 2 and a 1/3 lines and that's a bit of a worry heading into the season IMO.

This pretty much. If you look at Vermette's scoring from last year he only had 21 ES points. If they're expecting him to match last years production I hope they plan on giving him a lot of time on the power play

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
When you guys say the forward faceoff shot "worked" does that mean got through the net,, or resulted in a goal?
An actual goal. Getzlaf didn't score. But someone moved up and shot it. Vatanen maybe?

Too Getzlaf to try to find the footage.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well IMO, not getting goals off the shot shouldn't discredit the attempt. A quick shot off the offensive zone pressure can still create pressure.

That said I'd still prefer he just win the OZ faceoff and start the play with offensive zone possession with a set up play. Though even under Boudreau with better fancy stats, we still weren't too hot at sustained offensive zone set ups with a structured 5 man passing system. I don't have faith that that will improve under Carlyle. I expect a continuation of the dump and chase/cycle puck strategy.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Considering the difference in production between Vermette and Rakell, I'm a little unclear how you can label Rakell a scoring center, but Vermette isn't... And Vermette accomplishes that while actually winning face-offs, and being good defensively.

And let's not forget that Rakell's ES production is influenced, rather heavily, by his time on the wing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Edit: I think the bottom line is that calling Rakell a scoring center is rather generous, and more than a little misleading. When it comes to actually playing center, Rakell has some real weaknesses right now. His defensive game is very underwhelming, and he isn't very good in the face-off dot. Why are you so determined he be a center, when it seems pretty clear he's better suited for the wing, at this point? A more accurate label for him is that he is a scoring forward. Calling him a scoring center suggests he does all the things well that a center should do, and he doesn't.

Yes because we all know young players as talented as Rakell never get better, and old players like Vermette stay exactly as good as they are into their mid-30s without any concern of decline

I'd bet a million dollars on Rakell outproducing Vermette next year if they put Ricky at 3C

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes because we all know young players as talented as Rakell never get better, and old players like Vermette stay exactly as good as they are into their mid-30s without any concern of decline

I'd bet a million dollars on Rakell outproducing Vermette next year if they put Ricky at 3C

Funny thing is that your counter-argument isn't actually relevant to my point. At all. No one said that's how it would stay.

We're discussing what they currently are, and if Rakell is a scoring center, then so is Vermette. It's just that Vermette would be a scoring center who is actually good at being, well, a center. If you just want to start making assumptions, you should probably make that clear initially, because you were passing it off as fact: Rakell is a scoring center. Vermette is not.

The evidence doesn't really support that. In fact, looking at the players Rakell spent the most time with, you could probably conclude that Rakell had more opportunity to put up more points than Vermette, and yet Vermette was still pretty close.

The conclusion I'd come to is that, right now, both players are pretty close in terms of offensive results at center(admittedly, Rakell is the more dynamic talent), but Vermette is much better defensively, and in the face-off circle, which are two important aspects to being a center. The result? Vermette makes more sense as our 3C right now.

There's another advantage to that, which is that putting Rakell on the wing also lowers his D responsibilities, letting him play the more skilled offensive game that suits him. And Vermette, unlike Rakell last season, may be asked to do it without Perry on his wing. Which may have been the case for Rakell if he were the 3C, too. Depending on Carlyle, I wouldn't even be surprised to see Vermette and Rakell become a duo. Vermette at center, and Rakell on his wing is a good place to build a secondary scoring line. Based on what we saw from Carlyle in the past, he'd probably shift things around towards the end of a game the team is losing and he'd bump someone into the top line, with Getzlaf and Perry, temporarily. Rakell would probably be on that short-list.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Solid signing, seems like a nice fit on paper. Maybe I'm just starved for hockey drama, but with Murray seemingly locking down the first three center spots, I have to wonder if it plays into his negotiations with Ricky Raks at all.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Solid signing, seems like a nice fit on paper. Maybe I'm just starved for hockey drama, but with Murray seemingly locking down the first three center spots, I have to wonder if plays into his negotiations with Ricky Raks at all.

Maybe if Rakell was trying to get assurance that he'd get a top six role, and equivalent ice time. As far as how it would play into the financial discussion, I don't think it does at all.

Adding a 3C in Vermette definitely opens the door for a top six spot on the wing. As a center, Rakell was clearly not going to be top six. They aren't going to give him more opportunity, and ice time, than Kesler or Getzlaf.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Maybe if Rakell was trying to get assurance that he'd get a top six role, and equivalent ice time. As far as how it would play into the financial discussion, I don't think it does at all.

Adding a 3C in Vermette definitely opens the door for a top six spot on the wing. As a center, Rakell was clearly not going to be top six. They aren't going to give him more opportunity, and ice time, than Kesler or Getzlaf.

I hear ya. I was thinking that the amount of time last season that Ricky spent centering Perry may have clouded just where he stood in the center pecking order, and may have been a feather in his cap at the negotiation table, and now Murray has made it perfectly clear going forward. :dunno:

Most likely it's 'nothing to see here', just Murray shoring up the bottom six.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Funny thing is that your counter-argument isn't actually relevant to my point. At all. No one said that's how it would stay.

We're discussing what they currently are, and if Rakell is a scoring center, then so is Vermette. It's just that Vermette would be a scoring center who is actually good at being, well, a center. If you just want to start making assumptions, you should probably make that clear initially, because you were passing it off as fact: Rakell is a scoring center. Vermette is not.

The evidence doesn't really support that. In fact, looking at the players Rakell spent the most time with, you could probably conclude that Rakell had more opportunity to put up more points than Vermette, and yet Vermette was still pretty close.

The conclusion I'd come to is that, right now, both players are pretty close in terms of offensive results at center(admittedly, Rakell is the more dynamic talent), but Vermette is much better defensively, and in the face-off circle, which are two important aspects to being a center. The result? Vermette makes more sense as our 3C right now.

There's another advantage to that, which is that putting Rakell on the wing also lowers his D responsibilities, letting him play the more skilled offensive game that suits him. And Vermette, unlike Rakell last season, may be asked to do it without Perry on his wing. Which may have been the case for Rakell if he were the 3C, too. Depending on Carlyle, I wouldn't even be surprised to see Vermette and Rakell become a duo. Vermette at center, and Rakell on his wing is a good place to build a secondary scoring line. Based on what we saw from Carlyle in the past, he'd probably shift things around towards the end of a game the team is losing and he'd bump someone into the top line, with Getzlaf and Perry, temporarily. Rakell would probably be on that short-list.

I'm too Getzlaf too look, but did Rakell have any significant production away from Getzlaf/Perry?

One key thing about Vermette is that he's used to playing with the low level talent we have littering out bottom 6 right now and still being productive. It's almost a "go ahead, sit out" kinda signing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm too Getzlaf too look, but did Rakell have any significant production away from Getzlaf/Perry?

One key thing about Vermette is that he's used to playing with the low level talent we have littering out bottom 6 right now and still being productive. It's almost a "go ahead, sit out" kinda signing.

I'm too Getzlaf to go back and look, but if I remember the numbers correctly, the biggest chunk was with Getzlaf and Perry, and then the next largest percentages were dominated by Perry and (blank).

So, without going back through it all, for a player who had 33 even strength points total, I think it would depend on your definition of significant here, but it's unlikely unless you're feeling generous.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
isn't vermette the sens player who missed the penalty shot in game 6 of the '07 SCF?

anyways, good signing. solid bottom 6 forward and he'll come in handy on the PK as well

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
isn't vermette the sens player who missed the penalty shot in game 6 of the '07 SCF?

anyways, good signing. solid bottom 6 forward and he'll come in handy on the PK as well

He got his revenge on us in 15 WCF game 4 2OT. Would be great if he could be the hero for us this time :)

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
That Getzlaf face off shot is a hell of a lot more exciting than watching his ****ing drop passes.

I am sorry, but what would we, as Ducks fans, do if we would not have these fantastic drop passes? Isn't it great that in overtime in the playoffs you can yell at the TV "DO NOT DO THE DROP PASS!"?!

Now we even have Kevin "I slide around in the d-zone with the stick that prevents absolutely nothing" Bieksa.

The thought that I can enjoy these things next season is great :popcorn: .

BTW, the Vermette singing confuses me, it makes too much sense. We should buyout Stoner and get Doug Murray in his place to make it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad