Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Antoine Vermette to 2-year deal (1.75m AAV)

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Bob lives. :handclap:

Great signing, especially if it means Rakell moves to the wing permanently.

I'd keep Fowler and if we can't get Hudler super cheap, give Tanguay a PTO. He and Vermette produced really well together last year. Hopefully run a Tanguay-Vermette-Rakell, Garbutt-Wagner-Noesen bottom six to start.

Tanguay doesn't strike me as a RC type of player ... and he's pretty damn terrible in d-zone.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think we're going to need another scoring winger added before the season starts. 4th line isn't going to score much at all and the only player on the 2nd line who can consistently score is Kesler so feels like we're still going to be short of goals as it stands. We're basically relying on 2 and a 1/3 lines and that's a bit of a worry heading into the season IMO.

I'm just in the boat that trading Fowler creates a larger hole than is currently on the wing and I feel that's how a lot of people envision us landing that top 6 winger. Getzlaf and Perry could bounce back from last season. If Silf actually plays well in the first half he could score 40-50 points. Rakell could break the 50 point marker. Combine that with a defense first mentality and it's not a top offense in the league but it's not a dire situation. That's 4 ifs but I don't think they're that unreasonable. And what will Ritchie be able to do if he actually shows up in shape? This team is loaded with question marks but I don't think trading Fowler is the answer unless the return is really something.

I'm totally for a scoring winger though it just comes down to how we acquire them. And I really hope I didn't just open the Fowler can of worms in this thread :laugh:.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
So happy with this signing. Makes sense for Vermette because he won't need to relocate his family from Arizona too if he doesn't want too. Everyone wins.

Guy definitely showed up in playoffs for Chicago in our series. He was tough to play against. Hopefully he hasn't slowed down too much and worst case he will be a good defensive center.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I hope this means Rakell and Lindholm's deals are close to being done and Bob has an idea of what kind of money he has to work with.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I hope this means Rakell and Lindholm's deals are close to being done and Bob has an idea of what kind of money he has to work with.

I wouldn't make any assumptions. A guy like Vermette wasn't staying unemployed for long, Bob simply might've felt that he had to make a move on him, given our disturbing lack of NHL forwards.

What we DO know after this signing:

- The center group is set (Getz-Kesler-Vermette-Wagner/Thompson)
- Rakell is our new #1 LW
- Our spending is at $64.6 million after the Vermette deal ($8.4 million below cap)
- We still need 1-2 wingers on top of the Lindholm/Rakell extensions
- Trade(s) will happen

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
A 3C is exactly what we've needed. Been waiting to get one for a few years now. I am extremely pleased with this signing. We basically just signed a wing (Rakell) that is better than any FA's out there, while also big time upgrading our 3C.

It's going to be really nice to not have to worry about sheltering any of our lines.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Nice one Bob! If Vermette can win faceoffs and be good defensive center, then I'm happy. If he can same time score like 10-15 goals, even better.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Seems like a solid option for our 3C. Arguably an upgrade over Rakell there, while also moving Rakell to the wing where he belongs.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
A 3C is exactly what we've needed. Been waiting to get one for a few years now. I am extremely pleased with this signing. We basically just signed a wing (Rakell) that is better than any FA's out there, while also big time upgrading our 3C.

It's going to be really nice to not have to worry about sheltering any of our lines.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. A very nice pickup indeed.

Although we do still need to actually sign Rakell... :(

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
For the price, this is a very reasonable signing. Vermette will be a solid 3C, he'll win the majority of his faceoffs and be good for at least 30 points, and he'll guarantee a spot on the wing for Rakell.

Amen, not much to add to that. Now just fingers crossed Bob's got his math figured out to cover the IKEA twins, as well.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I've been adamant about wanting Rakell at wing for a while, and while I hope this means he goes there, I'm not completely convinced. This could be just a Thompson replacement, and they may see Wagner as a winger.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Fowler Trade- Kes-Silf
Cogs-Vermette-Garbutt
Raymond-Wagner-Boll

I can see Rakell as a guy who can be placed with the twins if other options (Ritchie/Trade) don't work out, but I still see us trying to roll 3 scoring lines. Vermette is a solid 3C who can put up offense. Moving Rakell off that line will only limit Vermette's offensive upside. I see Rakell playing on the third line, with possibly someone we acquire via trade (Tatar/Mantha/Svechnikov/AA).

Ritchie, Getz, Perry
Cogs, Kesler, Silf
____, Vermette, Rakell
Garbutt, Wagner/Kossila, Noeson/Boll/Kerdiles
Raymond

Noeson, Kerdiles, Kossila, Kase can all get shots on 3rd line if we start the season w/Fowler and don't make a trade. Vermette was a very good signing at a great rate. He can transition to 4C next season if his offensive skills decline as well.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I've been adamant about wanting Rakell at wing for a while, and while I hope this means he goes there, I'm not completely convinced. This could be just a Thompson replacement, and they may see Wagner as a winger.

BB wanted to put Rakell on Wing last year, but wasn't able to. Vermette isn't a 4th line player, he's a very good 3C at this point in his career.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Signing Vermette as a temporary 4C seems like a waste.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't see how we can call this a straight Thompson replacement anyway. As far as I'm concerned even with a weaker game he's still a clear upgrade over Thompson. And at his absolute best he'd be a second line C on some teams.

I wouldn't make any assumptions. A guy like Vermette wasn't staying unemployed for long, Bob simply might've felt that he had to make a move on him, given our disturbing lack of NHL forwards.

What we DO know after this signing:

- The center group is set (Getz-Kesler-Vermette-Wagner/Thompson)
- Rakell is our new #1 LW
- Our spending is at $64.6 million after the Vermette deal ($8.4 million below cap)
- We still need 1-2 wingers on top of the Lindholm/Rakell extensions
- Trade(s) will happen

That's why I qualified it with "I hope". I know it doesn't necessarily indicate anything.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
BB wanted to put Rakell on Wing last year, but wasn't able to. Vermette isn't a 4th line player, he's a very good 3C at this point in his career.

Signing Vermette as a temporary 4C seems like a waste.

I don't necessarily disagree with either of you. However, I definitely don't see Kesler on any type of scoring line. We have the coach, again, who is probably the biggest believer in a shutdown line, and we have one of the best shut down centers in the game. There's no way in hell Carlyle puts Kesler on a 2nd scoring line IMO. Carlyle has always liked this type of lineup:

2 scoring lines, 1 checking/shutdown line, and 1 energy line.

I just can't see Carlyle making a scoring line with Vermette or Kesler at center. Let me reiterate that I'm not saying I want Kesler at only a shutdown position. I'm just going by Carlyle's tendencies.

Oct 18, 2011
rakell's talents should not be wasted with vermette, he should be playing in the top 6 to help us with our wing issues

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I just can't see Carlyle making a scoring line with Vermette or Kesler at center. Let me reiterate that I'm not saying I want Kesler at only a shutdown position. I'm just going by Carlyle's tendencies.

Well, obviously one of them has to be on a scoring line. Unless you think Carlyle would play Vermette on the energy line (4th line).

mytduxfan*

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Fowler Trade- Kes-Silf
Cogs-Vermette-Garbutt
Raymond-Wagner-Boll

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry
Tatar - Kesler - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Vermette - Raymond
Ritchie - Wagner - Garbutt

Lindholm - Manson
Despres - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieksa

Gibson - Bernier

Fowler <-----> Tatar + (hopefully AA)
Stoner <-----> whatever

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well, obviously one of them has to be on a scoring line. Unless you think Carlyle would play Vermette on the energy line (4th line).

It's really too early to speculate what the lines will be because we clearly lack at least one top 6 player. We really don't have the players to ice two scoring lines.

Like I said earlier, I've been one of most vocal about wanting Rakell at wing, but with our current forward core, I don't see us stacking that top line with those three.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Vermette is clearly the 3rd line center now and at this point Wagner is the 4th line center. When Thompson comes back, Wagner shifts over to wing and the Garrett - Thompson- Wagner line reunites as the 4th. That line was really good to end the year as a strong 4th.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Actually a 3rd line of Rakell-Vermette-Cogliano would be really impressive. But for that to be possible we'd have to trade for a top 6 winger AND have Ritchie breakout

Vermette has put up around 40 point pace the last few years. It's not like playing Rakell with a Thompson type offensive blackhole

Edit: oops i meant to quote keerole

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry
Tatar - Kesler - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Vermette - Raymond
Ritchie - Wagner - Garbutt

Lindholm - Manson
Despres - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieksa

Gibson - Bernier

Fowler <-----> Tatar + (hopefully AA)
Stoner <-----> whatever

This is what I'm talking about. I'm actually shocked that anyone would think Carlyle would do this lineup. I'm not saying it's a bad lineup or that I don't like it. However, those middle two lines are just not RC's style.

I don't see Kesler in a scoring role, and I don't see Cogs and Raymond as his checking line wingers. Way too soft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad