Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Antoine Vermette to 2-year deal (1.75m AAV)

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree with either of you. However, I definitely don't see Kesler on any type of scoring line. We have the coach, again, who is probably the biggest believer in a shutdown line, and we have one of the best shut down centers in the game. There's no way in hell Carlyle puts Kesler on a 2nd scoring line IMO. Carlyle has always liked this type of lineup:

2 scoring lines, 1 checking/shutdown line, and 1 energy line.

I just can't see Carlyle making a scoring line with Vermette or Kesler at center. Let me reiterate that I'm not saying I want Kesler at only a shutdown position. I'm just going by Carlyle's tendencies.

If that's the case.. We'll probably see:

Ritchie Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette x
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll

There's potential for the top 9 to have 6 players score more than 20 goals(Getz, Perry, Silf, Kes, Rakell, Vermette) and whoever we add can maybe score as well. Tatar?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is what I'm talking about. I'm actually shocked that anyone would think Carlyle would do this lineup. I'm not saying it's a bad lineup or that I don't like it. However, those middle two lines are just not RC's style.

I don't see Kesler in a scoring role, and I don't see Cogs and Raymond as his checking line wingers. Way too soft.

Which center DO you see in a scoring role other than Getzlaf then?

Kesler is making 7 million dollars next year, of course he's going to be on a scoring line. His line may also to be asked to shutdown the other teams top line, yes. but his production should be similar to the last two years

Vermette is not a scoring line center either and neither is wagner. Rakell is but you are all adamant about him playing wing (so is BM i guess)

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think Ritchie is going to start int he AHL unless no trade happens for a top 6 player.

Trade -Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette Raymond
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll (Maybe Ritchie there)

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Ritchie Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette x
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll

There's potential for the top 9 to have 6 players score more than 20 goals(Getz, Perry, Silf, Kes, Rakell, Vermette) and whoever we add can maybe score as well. Tatar?

This actually what I see happening as well right now. It's much more likely than seeing Rakell on the top line.

mytduxfan*

This is what I'm talking about. I'm actually shocked that anyone would think Carlyle would do this lineup. I'm not saying it's a bad lineup or that I don't like it. However, those middle two lines are just not RC's style.

I don't see Kesler in a scoring role, and I don't see Cogs and Raymond as his checking line wingers. Way too soft.

Cogs and Raymond can be shifted around, but the rest of what you've said doesn't make any sense. Kesler wasn't in a scoring role last year either and that line still scored.

Ritchie Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette x
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll

Don't hate.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
which center do you see in a scoring role other than getzlaf then?

Kesler is making 7 million dollars next year, of course he's going to be on a scoring line. His line may also to be asked to shutdown the other teams top line, yes. But his production should be similar to the last two years

vermette is not a scoring line center either and neither is wagner. Rakell is but you are all adamant about him playing wing (so is bm i guess)

AGAIN, I am not saying I don't want Kesler in a scoring role.

As for your first question: I would prefer Kesler was our center on our 2nd scoring line center. It's just not going to happen with Carlyle as coach.

The last part of your post is kind of what I'm getting at. I prefer Rakell at wing, but if you're looking at the roster and saying "which centers can I build two scoring lines around?" Getzlaf and Rakell is the answer. Again, not what I want, but like you said, we don't really have another center to build a scoring line around. Dageneral's lineup is probably the closest thing. Honestly, I hadn't though of Rakell-Vermette as a scoring line, but if they got an offensively gifted winger, it may work.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Cogs and Raymond can be shifted around, but the rest of what you've said doesn't make any sense. Kesler wasn't in a scoring role last year either and that line still scored.

Last year's checking line didn't have someone like Tatar on it. It had three defensive minded players that could produce offensively. Plus, although they were definitely used in a more defensive role. Bruce wasn't near as adamant about getting matchups like RC is.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Which center DO you see in a scoring role other than Getzlaf then?

Kesler is making 7 million dollars next year, of course he's going to be on a scoring line. His line may also to be asked to shutdown the other teams top line, yes. but his production should be similar to the last two years

Vermette is not a scoring line center either and neither is wagner. Rakell is but you are all adamant about him playing wing (so is BM i guess)

Considering the difference in production between Vermette and Rakell, I'm a little unclear how you can label Rakell a scoring center, but Vermette isn't... And Vermette accomplishes that while actually winning face-offs, and being good defensively.

And let's not forget that Rakell's ES production is influenced, rather heavily, by his time on the wing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Edit: I think the bottom line is that calling Rakell a scoring center is rather generous, and more than a little misleading. When it comes to actually playing center, Rakell has some real weaknesses right now. His defensive game is very underwhelming, and he isn't very good in the face-off dot. Why are you so determined he be a center, when it seems pretty clear he's better suited for the wing, at this point? A more accurate label for him is that he is a scoring forward. Calling him a scoring center suggests he does all the things well that a center should do, and he doesn't.

Last edited:

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I think I may puke if Raymond is more than just a plug,especially in a top 6 role.

I don't see a problem with adding someone like Tatar and pairing him with Vermette and Rakell.

That'd be the cherry on top.

That's a legit top 9 that can score and defend.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think I may puke if Raymond is more than just a plug,especially in a top 6 role.

I don't see a problem with adding someone like Tatar and pairing him with Vermette and Rakell.

I really can't see giving a two way deal to a mediocre vet like Raymond with plans to use him as a top 6 forward. He's a depth guy who may be used up and down then lineup as needed, if he even makes the team.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I really can't see giving a two way deal to a mediocre vet like Raymond with plans to use him as a top 6 forward. He's a depth guy who may be used up and down then lineup as needed, if he even makes the team.

Agreed on both accounts.

The only reason I'm somewhat nervous about Raymond being counted on for more than just a "plug" role is the lack of options we currently have. The Vermette signing is definitely a step in the right direction.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
are we assuming RC is stuck on a checking line still?

Asking simply due to the " he's changed a lot" pitch.

Kesler IMO is so much more than a shutdown guy

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
are we assuming RC is stuck on a checking line still?

Asking simply due to the " he's changed a lot" pitch.

Kesler IMO is so much more than a shutdown guy

When a guy can put up 50+ points playing primary shutdown minutes with great success, it would more or less be foolish to use him in any other role.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

Ritchie Getz Perry
Rakell Vermette x
Cogs Kes Silf
Garbutt Wagner Boll

That's my exact lineup minus Boll. I think they signed Boll to play 30 games or so, mainly against teams we know will be taking cheap shots. He is basically the new version of Parros. Remember when we let Parros go? he wanted a more definite role and BM wanted him to remain the 30 game role player (fighter). Boll was probably happy to have a job and his salary dictates that he will indeed be the type of fighter/physical presence BM wanted from Parros. Raymond is a plug and play player. I don't see him getting more than 30 games or so with the big club. He's more of a guy who can fill in on any lines, but you don't want to rely on for clear production. Basically, a poor mans Marchant. I still think he spends most of next season in the AHL. We definitely need another top 6 winger, but this signing really helps alleviate a lot of the concerns some of us had; especially, when you factor in Fowler getting traded. This also helps us from a leverage standpoint, since we're not screwed heading into the season. We can role the roster we have right now and be competitive. The point isn't to stay competitive, but to take the next step. To do so, we still need another high end scorer in our forward group. At this point, it's not an absolute must, so kudos to BM on this signing.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Which would be fine if we brought in another winger via trade or signing. We have 9 forwards signed through next year so to protect 7+expose 2, you'll need boll to play 40.

I'm also don't want Boll to play, I just think he may have to.

Kerdiles and Noesen are both eligible for the expansion draft too.

I still maintain trading Fowler now would be a huge mistake unless you a real top flight forward in return (Landeskog/Duchene/RNH/etc.). If all you can get is a Tatar+Jurco type of package we're better off keeping him. It's far harder to find a top 4 d-man mid season than a middle six winger and I know don't have any faith in a Despres/Stoner-Vatanen 2nd pair. BM needs to sign the Swedes, find a way to dump Stoner and just run with what we have to start the season.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry
Tatar - Kesler - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Vermette - Raymond
Ritchie - Wagner - Garbutt

Lindholm - Manson
Despres - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieksa

Gibson - Bernier

Fowler <-----> Tatar + (hopefully AA)
Stoner <-----> whatever

I likey

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Kerdiles and Noesen are both eligible for the expansion draft too.

I still maintain trading Fowler now would be a huge mistake unless you a real top flight forward in return (Landeskog/Duchene/RNH/etc.). If all you can get is a Tatar+Jurco type of package we're better off keeping him. It's far harder to find a top 4 d-man mid season than a middle six winger and I know don't have any faith in a Despres/Stoner-Vatanen 2nd pair. BM needs to sign the Swedes, find a way to dump Stoner and just run with what we have to start the season.

To me trading fowler is all about dumping fowler and stoners salary in exchange for a much needed winger.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Offensive zone play:

Kesler or Vermette wins faceoff, pass back to Vatanen for one timer. Goal or stoppage, rinse repeat.

Play 2:

Getzlaf's weird shot attempt from faceoff that never works, rinse repeat.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
First want to establish that I like the signing. About as good caliber and price as you could expect.

That said, I get a sense Murray is building this team off of a 2009 scouting report. Bieksa, Raymond, Boll, Vermette. "Boy could you imagine how good this team would be if it was 2009?"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00