Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah, it's shocking that Hamilton has been able to dominate Kingston like this. You'd think that Kingston has enough depth to put up a decent fight, but so far they haven't delivered at all...

It's even more impressive that Hamilton is doing so without having a true stud on the backend, just a solid/deep group with no holes.

Their overage captain Justin Lemcke might be a decent target for us, even on an AHL/ECHL deal - RHD with good size who plays a sound, efficient game.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The IIHF finally got their act together and started uploading highlights from the U18 games. Some of the videos are still missing, but at least they've uploaded something. Link here.

I have to say that, based on the games that I've watched, I've been more impressed with the 2019 and 2020 eligible players than the 2018 eligibles. Some of these kids are just incredible. The next three drafts all look to be exceptionally good...

Reactions: AngelDuck

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I have to say that, based on the games that I've watched, I've been more impressed with the 2019 and 2020 eligible players than the 2018 eligibles. Some of these kids are just incredible. The next three drafts all look to be exceptionally good...

I was hoping we'd be sellers this year and next.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
The IIHF finally got their act together and started uploading highlights from the U18 games. Some of the videos are still missing, but at least they've uploaded something. Link here.

I know that it gets said almost every year, but next year's draft is looking crazy strong. The amount of high end forward talent is something else.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I know that it gets said almost every year, but next year's draft is looking crazy strong. The amount of high end forward talent is something else.

It's not just the amount of forwards, it's the amount of centers. Jack Hughes, Alex Turcotte, Ryan Suzuki, Dylan Cozens, Kirby Dach, Raphael Lavoie, Jakob Pelletier, list goes on and on. I predict a very short re-build to whichever teams are tanking right now...

Kaapo Kakko is going to be one heck of a player.

If Kakko reaches his potential, he'll be a monster. There's no reason why a 17-year-old should be that good a player, he looks like a multi-year veteran out there. Only an incredibly bad draft season can stop him from going in the top-5 in 2019.

Kaapo's U17 season ranks third all time in total points and PPG in Finland's U20 league history, only behind Jesse Puljujärvi and Mikael Granlund. His performance by U18 standards is nothing short of incredible as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's not just the amount of forwards, it's the amount of centers. Jack Hughes, Alex Turcotte, Ryan Suzuki, Dylan Cozens, Kirby Dach, Raphael Lavoie, Jakob Pelletier, list goes on and on. I predict a very short re-build to whichever teams are tanking right now...

If Kakko reaches his potential, he'll be a monster. There's no reason why a 17-year-old should be that good a player, he looks like a multi-year veteran out there. Only an incredibly bad draft season can stop him from going in the top-5 in 2019.

Kaapo's U17 season ranks third all time in total points and PPG in Finland's U20 league history, only behind Jesse Puljujärvi and Mikael Granlund. His performance by U18 standards is nothing short of incredible as well.
As good as Poolparty and Grandlud are, they are far away from being the best from Finland, so junior stats doesn`t mean anything.
I haven`t seen Kakko in action though, so I can`t really comment, just point that thing out.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Kingston finally breaks through the Bulldogs, result 5-2. Jones with a goal, series 3-1 Hamilton.

AB Titan takes a 3-0 series lead, game 3 result 2-1. Comtois with an assist, Morand pointless.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Morands team supposed to be weak but they are winning the seemably unstoppable Tigres team. Go figure.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
As good as Poolparty and Grandlud are, they are far away from being the best from Finland, so junior stats doesn`t mean anything.
I haven`t seen Kakko in action though, so I can`t really comment, just point that thing out.

True, but the numbers are quite encouraging. Can't wait to see him make the jump and play Liiga full time...

Morands team supposed to be weak but they are winning the seemably unstoppable Tigres team. Go figure.

AB Titan is not a weak squad, in fact they were the second best team in the Q this year...

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
True, but the numbers are quite encouraging. Can't wait to see him make the jump and play Liiga full time...

AB Titan is not a weak squad, in fact they were the second best team in the Q this year...
For some reason I thought they got weaker and I thought that was a reason for quite dissapointing Morand output. Now I checked and he`s still the best scorer there, on what seems to be a very good team, after all.
He is not dominating on a level I expected but also I`m aware that numbers alone don`t tell all the story.

Anyone have been watching him more closely this year?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
For some reason I thought they got weaker and I thought that was a reason for quite dissapointing Morand output. Now I checked and he`s still the best scorer there, on what seems to be a very good team, after all.
He is not dominating on a level I expected but also I`m aware that numbers alone don`t tell all the story.

Anyone have been watching him more closely this year?

I've seen a few games of his this year, but as I said a few pages back I've never seen him score a point so I haven't been able to catch any really good games from him. His offense seems to come in bursts. He led a pretty balanced attacking team in scoring and is trusted as a leader and put out there in defensive situations and he's pretty chippy for his size so those are all good attributes. But for actual offensive play (and again I've never caught him scoring a point so take this with a grain of salt) I've never come away thinking his offensive skill is high end. I found him facilitating the play more than actually driving it, in the sense that he was smart about keeping the play alive and the puck moving but never really flashed any high end ability, as opposed to Comtois who I've seen be utterly unstoppable. But again, That's just from a few games where he didn't score any points and he led his team in scoring so there's clearly ability there and I've caught off games. Noah Dobson is an absolute stud, however.

I was going to try the Q online streaming service for the game last night but then had to work a bit overtime and totally forgot about it by the time I got home. I really wanted to catch a game of this series to see both players. Hopefully the Tigres can win a game or 2.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Two players at the Titas caught my eyes when it comes to FA signings. Jeffery Truchon-Viel and Olivier Galipeau. Both wearing the C for some seasons, both with solid numbers over a few seasons, both with solid performances in the playoffs. Olivier was expected to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder 2015.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Two players at the Titas caught my eyes when it comes to FA signings. Jeffery Truchon-Viel and Olivier Galipeau. Both wearing the C for some seasons, both with solid numbers over a few seasons, both with solid performances in the playoffs. Olivier was expected to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder 2015.

Galipeau should definitely get a pro contract at the end of the year. Since the move to Bathurst him and Dobson have probably been the best d pairing in the Q. He made a huge jump forward offensively this year.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Morand (2A) and the Titan complete the sweep against Comtois (1G, 1A) and the Tigres. Didn't see that one coming, but hopefully the Titan can pull the upset against Blainville and face Steel and Mahura in the mem cup.

Reactions: Opak

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Morand (2A) and the Titan complete the sweep against Comtois (1G, 1A) and the Tigres. Didn't see that one coming, but hopefully the Titan can pull the upset against Blainville and face Steel and Mahura in the mem cup.

Not so fast, Charlottetown won the last two games in OT to tie the series 2-2, also the last three games have been 1-goal games. Even though Charlottetown is pretty much a cinderella team, they're giving #1 ranked BLB Armada all kinds of trouble...

Extremely surprised to see the Tigres get ousted like that. I had a feeling that Titan's defense might prove to be too much for Victoriaville, but Titan actually managed to outperform them offensively as well.

In other news, Soo vs Kitchener is now tied 2-2 after Kitchener won both games at home.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I know Truchson-Viel is an overager but he is having one hell of a playoff so far. 11 goals in 14 games (had 10 in 11 games last year). I've said it before, I would not mind siging him, at least for San Diego.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I have to throw Brad Morrison's name into the discussion. Guy has 15 goals and 36 points in 14 games, leads the WHL in playoff scoring...

The Rongos drafted him in 2015 but never signed him, so I assume he's an UFA now? :dunno:

EDIT:

According to Eliteprospects, he's the nephew of current Ducks assistant coach Mark Morrison. I'd imagine that our organization has a pretty good idea of what kind of a player he is...

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Not so fast, Charlottetown won the last two games in OT to tie the series 2-2, also the last three games have been 1-goal games. Even though Charlottetown is pretty much a cinderella team, they're giving #1 ranked BLB Armada all kinds of trouble...

Extremely surprised to see the Tigres get ousted like that. I had a feeling that Titan's defense might prove to be too much for Victoriaville, but Titan actually managed to outperform them offensively as well.

In other news, Soo vs Kitchener is now tied 2-2 after Kitchener won both games at home.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I will be absolurely shocked if the Islanders win that series. Their goalie, Matt Welsh, is having an amazing playoff run but the Armada are too strong. Hot goalies are the one thing that can stop powerhouse teams, I guess.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Friedman says Murray was scouting Sault Ste Marie and Kingston. That sounds like he's looking at Barrett Hayton, who is Kopacka's linemate and projected to go in the late first.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Friedman says Murray was scouting Sault Ste Marie and Kingston. That sounds like he's looking at Barrett Hayton, who is Kopacka's linemate and projected to go in the late first.

That could be true, but on the other hand Bob does have a history of showing up to random hockey games. Just last season, Bob and Nonis showed up here in Finland (article in Finnish), persumably to take a look at then draft-eligible Miro Heiskanen. It's possible that he's just been to some OHL games to see Jones and Kopacka, both of which are expected to join the Gulls next season...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Was my thought too but I can not imagine Hayton being available at 23.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Hamilton defeats Kingston in five games, move on to the OHL finals.

Everett takes a 3-1 series lead over TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad