GDT: Ducks @ Blackhawks 7:30PM CT NSCH - Once Upon a Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The "all this talent" view is just not reasonable. the Hawks have nowhere near the "talent" many here surmise. Watch the rest of the league and the Hawks are a middling roster. Right about dead middle (maybe a bit lower, maybe a bit higher?). We are, as a team, well below average speed wise. We have really two finishers with Kane and D-Cat; plus a few guys who can score --- but not consistently. Our D is # 23-#24 or so in the league. We have sub-par depth. We have a subpar #2 Goalie. So... where is all this talent?

There's far more talent on this roster than some seem to think. Numerous guys having career worst seasons. Lots of young players who show flashes of talent, but need to develop the consistency that comes from playing more than half a season in the nhl.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know a few people who have of late.

I will also be forever peeved at clean hits having to result in scraps every damn time. Every. Time. Always have said that, always will.

100%.

Honestly just start giving out automatic majors for fights after clean hits and it will stop. Yes it puts a lot on the refs but they are paid a lot.

Hartmann should not have to fight for that.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Some notes:
- I'll bet the most pissed off person after last nights game was Carlyle. Ducks were terrible and wanted to hand the game to Blackhawks but they came up short again.
- Is Duclair suddenly found the Q doghouse? He played under 8 minutes last night.
- Berube starts next game. Book it.
- Cat gets lots of love around here but he needs to stop turning the puck over with risky passes/dangles.
- Kaner/Schmaltz need to be split up. The Globetrotter crap has returned.
- Saad showing more life to his game for the second consecutive game.
- Sorry to say, Sharp back to looking terrible.
- Toews not much better than Sharp.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
100%.

Honestly just start giving out automatic majors for fights after clean hits and it will stop. Yes it puts a lot on the refs but they are paid a lot.

Hartmann should not have to fight for that.

I get that sometimes at ice level with the speed and lack of perfect sight down there that a clean hit can look dirty but it's ridiculous that it's every god damn time a big hit is thrown a guy has to defend himself against a damn mob. Drives me f***ing crazy.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I get that sometimes at ice level with the speed and lack of perfect sight down there that a clean hit can look dirty but it's ridiculous that it's every god damn time a big hit is thrown a guy has to defend himself against a damn mob. Drives me ****ing crazy.

Same.

There is the difference between "old school" and then whatever this is.

I would love to hear Josh Manson's dads honest POV of what his son did last night.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Same.

I would love to hear Josh Manson's dads honest POV of what his son did last night.

You really think "Chucky" would have a problem with it? I don't.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Same.

I actually have more respect for Manson after that play last night. (disclaimer, I don't watch the Ducks, he's basically a guy to me)
I also think fights after clean hits are ridiculous, but Ryan Hartman threw that hit. It's not beyond the pale to assume Hartman would be in for a fight. And if it had gone the other way, I know I wouldn't look at Hartman as a clown for trying to stand up for a teammate. The part that I liked, though, was that there was a second before the refs got to them when it was clear that Hartman wasn't going to fight. Manson had the opportunity to really pummel Hartman, and he didn't. I thought that was solid.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I personally don't think the "old school" players would like this new fight if there is a big clean hit mentality. Dirty hit? Way different.

I get what your saying, but it's also sticking up for a teammate. It's more or less the only time you see fights at all anymore, so I think they'd like it. Plus I just don't see a guy who was nicknamed after a serial killer being a voice of reason, lol.

The biggest issue with the situation last night was the officiating. Hartman got 2 minutes for not allowing himself to get jacked in the face. And if you throw a bare fisted punch, that has to be 5 minutes. If the other guy didn't, tough shit.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I actually have more respect for Manson after that play last night. (disclaimer, I don't watch the Ducks, he's basically a guy to me)
I also think fights after clean hits are ridiculous, but Ryan Hartman threw that hit. It's not beyond the pale to assume Hartman would be in for a fight. And if it had gone the other way, I know I wouldn't look at Hartman as a clown for trying to stand up for a teammate. The part that I liked, though, was that there was a second before the refs got to them when it was clear that Hartman wasn't going to fight. Manson had the opportunity to really pummel Hartman, and he didn't. I thought that was solid.

He jumped Hartman after an obvious clean hit. There is nothing to respect there.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I get what your saying, but it's also sticking up for a teammate. It's more or less the only time you see fights at all anymore, so I think they'd like it. Plus I just don't see a guy who was nicknamed after a serial killer being a voice of reason, lol.

The biggest issue with the situation last night was the officiating. Hartman got 2 minutes for not allowing himself to get jacked in the face. And if you throw a bare fisted punch, that has to be 5 minutes. If the other guy didn't, tough ****.

I get what you are saying and agree to a point but this new NHL clean hit fight BS is just trash.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I get what you are saying and agree to a point but this new NHL clean hit fight BS is just trash.

Yes, so you keep saying., but it's only partially true.

In the old school, it would depend on who the player was who was hit and who was delivering the hit. In this case, Hartman would be a guy ops would like to retaliate against if he had lined up a top talent. Doesn't matter if it was clean or not.
I'm not even sure who it was Hartman hit last night or if it was one of Ducks stars? If you're going to dish out that hit, you always must be prepared for retaliation.

IMO, you folks are making much ado about nothing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

In the old school, it would depend on who the player was who was hit and who was delivering the hit. In this case, Hartman would be a guy ops would like to retaliate against if he had lined up a top talent. Doesn't matter if it was clean or not.
I'm not even sure who it was Hartman hit last night or if it was one of Ducks stars? If you're going to dish out that hit, you always must be prepared for retaliation.

I think it was Lindholm? (67).

I disagree with the bold. if you are going to make a dirty hit then you should be prepared but if you have a clean hit then having to fight is just a meatball way of looking at it. There is old-school hockey and then there is thinking having to fight means you have to fight....much different.

How are we making much ado about it? We are just discussing what happened. It is not there there is some huge outrage about it.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

No one's arguing otherwise. The point is it's stupid and always has been. The idea that a star player can't be dealt a clean hit within the rules like any other player has always been idiotic to me. It is what it is and isn't changing anytime soon, but it's dumb. Dirty hit, especially if delivered by a player with that rep? Ok, different story.

Imagine O-linemen charging after a player after crushing their QB with a perfectly clean hit every time. Different sport, but it's one involving massive hits and illustrates how silly it is. But, much ado about nothing so why talk about it any further.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

I disagree with the bold. if you are going to make a dirty hit then you should be prepared but if you have a clean hit then having to fight is just a meatball way of looking at it. There is old-school hockey and then there is thinking having to fight means you have to fight....much different.

How are we making much ado about it? We are just discussing what happened. It is not there there is some huge outrage about it.
the clean hard hit is good. but that is why goon hockey came into existence. b/c of the retaliation that came from it.

ex, d-cat makes a hard hit on a manson kind of player, meaning someone who is big and tough. then for this discussion, manson wants to make a retaliatory kind of a response, then someone else will come in and take over. this game era has evolve since that type of hockey...... and for the good.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

It was Silverberg.

Going back to what you said before about old school guys. I think it's incorrect that these types of fights never happened. I'd think they have always happen, because they're aren't a lot of fights, so the fights after clean hits are half of the fights now days and thus more noticeable. I agree, it's kind of silly, but fighting in general is pretty silly, even though I enjoy it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No one's arguing otherwise. The point is it's stupid and always has been. The idea that a star player can't be dealt a clean hit within the rules like any other player has always been idiotic to me. It is what it is and isn't changing anytime soon, but it's dumb. Dirty hit, especially if delivered by a player with that rep? Ok, different story.

Imagine O-linemen charging after a player after crushing their QB with a perfectly clean hit every time. Different sport, but it's one involving massive hits and illustrates how silly it is. But, much ado about nothing so why talk about it any further.
good point, i say this kind of retaliatory kind of action should be taken to the league for review.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It was Silverberg.

Going back to what you said before about old school guys. I think it's incorrect that these types of fights never happened. I'd think they have always happen, it's just more notable now, because they're aren't a lot of fights, so the fights after clean hits are half of the fights now days and thus more noticeable. I agree, it's kind of silly, but fighting in general is pretty silly, even though I enjoy it.
and i will admit i like - love that era, until it became a WWE kind of circus.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It was Silverberg.

Going back to what you said before about old school guys. I think it's incorrect that these types of fights never happened. I'd think they have always happen, because they're aren't a lot of fights, so the fights after clean hits are half of the fights now days and thus more noticeable. I agree, it's kind of silly, but fighting in general is pretty silly, even though I enjoy it.

It is not that they did not happen but I think they happened less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad