GDT: Ducks @ Blackhawks 7:30PM CT NSCH - Once Upon a Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Schmaltz is borderline untouchable for me, not saying I want him gone. He may become a legit top 6 forward or a mediocre/tweener top 6. IF there's a chance to package him with another (for the moment) valuable asset like Forsling for, preferably, a projected 1st pairing D like a Hanifin/Sergachev, it's a no-brainer. Would also trade them for a legit, young top 6 C like a Nylander/Horvat for example.

Point is, we will need new star caliber players going forward, when every high paid player except Kane will be dead weight or at most middle 6/pairing caliber.

The only projected young star/game changer on the roster is DeBrincat, hence why he's the only that should be considered untouchable.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Schmaltz is borderline untouchable for me, not saying I want him gone. He may become a legit top 6 forward or a mediocre/tweener top 6. IF there's a chance to package him with another (for the moment) valuable asset like Forsling for, preferably, a projected 1st pairing D like a Hanifin/Sergachev, it's a no-brainer. Would also trade them for a legit, young top 6 C like a Nylander/Horvat for example.

Point is, we will need new star caliber players going forward, when every high paid player except Kane will be dead weight or at most middle 6/pairing caliber.

The only projected young star/game changer on the roster is DeBrincat, hence why he's the only that should be considered untouchable.
I mean ideally we keep both, but how is DeBrincat any more of a game changer than Schmaltz? Sure his release is nasty, but he's also 5'7 and not as strong of a skater. Schmaltz is already a legit top 6 forward and has 1C potential (though admittedly this may be more due to the decline of Toews :laugh:). I guess for me it just comes down to centers > scoring wingers but I see what you're saying.

Also I definitely agree that we are in serious need of help on the backend but that's what drafting Dahlin is for :sarcasm:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Re: "how is DeBrincat any more of a game changer than Schmaltz?"

Shoot puck mentality vs pass-first mentality. And it doesn't hurt that Cat has a great release and knows how to find soft spots in ops defense.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Re: "how is DeBrincat any more of a game changer than Schmaltz?"

Shoot puck mentality vs pass-first mentality. And it doesn't hurt that Cat has a great release and knows how to find soft spots in ops defense.
Very true, and although they're basically identical statistically with schmaltz having 39 points and Debrincat having 38 points on the year I'd give the edge to DeBrincat since he's a rookie and has been getting ****ed around all year by Q playing him up and down the lineup. I think the term "game changer" is just inherently abstract and when they're so similar production-wise it really comes down to personal preference. I'll always value a center over a winger but that's just me, though both should be untouchable moving forward.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Saad, Mitchell, 2nd for Trouba
Tank for Brady Tkachuk
Bring back Antoinne Vermette via FA

Schmaltz - Toews - Debrincat
Tkachuk - Anisimov - Kane
Hinostroza - Vermette - Duclair
Hartman - Kampf - Hayden

Keith - Trouba
Forsling - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook