Post-Game Talk: Ducks at Rangers - February 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wow then he absolutely robbed Vesey another great set up.

This coulda been 4-0 easily at this point

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This is a very real concern because columbus is struggling and with how amazing Pitt is to everyone they're only what 3 pts up on us?

I'm really starting to get nervous about this as well that we end up moving past Columbus and end up one of top 3 seeds in East. Would love to be able to have the confidence that we could beat both the Pens and Caps this year but I just don't.

Been saying this for going on two plus months now. With the way the stupid playoff system is set up, it's in our best interests if we want to have a long, memorable and fun spring playoff run this year is to somehow finish 4th seed and play the very very vulnerable Atlantic on way to ECF.

This really looks to be the Caps year...they have it all. Great tending, best Top 6 d corps in the league and their 4 lines might even be better than ours which I think is a Top 3 in the league when healthy which we are now(knock on wood). This year's Cap team is much better than the 2010 team that dominated from what I've seen of them. I have no doubt in my mind they will beat the Pens out who have some warts which are starting to play out.

Tho Cap are better than us, I'd give us a punchers chance in the ECF so long as Hank is the Hank who played like he played tonight and who looks like he's got his **** together other than that first game after the all star break. You know of all the teams the Caps would not want to have to deal with in order to get to the Cup finals would be a date with us.

We seem to play our best hockey vs them Caps. So let's hope and pray we keep playing well and somehow end up 4th seed and than deal with a wart filled Canadian team which is very beatable and whoever else emerges in that pretty mediocre Atlantic division and we take our chances in the ECF....:nod:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We've always matched up well with the caps more so than with the pens.

Are their 4 lines better than ours when healthy? I say no

Miller Hayes Grabner is a better line than Brett Connolly Lars Eller and Burakowsky

Our 4th line players Puempel Pirri Fast Lindberg one of Vesey or Buch is way better than there 4th line.

They have better top end talent

But their Defense? It's ok I want to see what we look like by the deadline

Hank when he's hank is just as good as holtby who doesn't play his best against us. Never has

However having to go thru Pitt AND Washington no that would be the toughest route in the league. Like I said they're prob the only teams better than us.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way just saw the Shaw hit on Stepan you have got to be kidding me no call on that?!

Will say what a classy move by Getzlaf protecting Stepan.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
By the way just saw the Shaw hit on Stepan you have got to be kidding me no call on that?!

Will say what a classy move by Getzlaf protecting Stepan.

Yeah I said it at the time it occurred in pretty much same words. What Getz did for Step was bigtime class move. You don't see that much in the league. Not surprising tho that Getz did that as I've always thought very highly of him from both a skill standpoint and as an ambassador of the sport. Tonight just enhanced my uber respect for him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I am even more amazed how upset people were with this win.

I can count on one hand how many of anaheims chances were high danger. Ton of shots from the walls with zero traffic. This was not a tough night for hank he ate them up no problem. Good job by him but hardly had to be our best player. Glenn Healey would have won this game if he played.

Meanwhile Gibson was doing backflips to even keep his team in the game. We could have had 6 or 7.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't have to agree with the complaining but the "you don't remember the dark ages" thing is abysmal.

1)Like I said before, if "not the dark ages" is your standard for acceptable hockey, then you might as well watch something else.

2)I do. Vividly. I was perfectly aware of what was going on. Worse yet, some of the people who call me out on that know me. They know what I can recall. They've seen me recite those rosters. They know I have a story about every single player who played for this team in 1999. Of course, HF loves its narratives even when they know the opposite is true, so this is no surprise.

3)We're Rangers fans. Ok, this team has one Stanley Cup in 77 years. We've all been through it. I've been crapped on. Gardner has been crapped on. Gusta has been crapped on. nevesis has been crapped on. Jonathan, posting here since 2002, has been crapped on. My father, watching this team since 1955 has been crapped on. Even our youngest posters, like TCRF and Rasp, have been crapped on. This sucks. I'm not saying I don't want to be a part of it, but a Rangers fan is not glamorous. That's just a god damn fact. That used to unite the fans, but lately it's turned into "my **** stinks more than your ****." Again, you don't have to agree with the complaints, but I can't even fathom where a Rangers fan even summons the audacity to call another Rangers fan spoiled knowing what we've all seen.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's a top 5 or 6 team in the league you are what your record says you are, that I'm being told isn't very good and not better than last year. Can't beat anyone in a 7 game series.

Crazy talk

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is a much better team than last year. I'm amazed by this thinking.

Really am.

That team was horrible completely worn out from previous runs. Couldn't kill a penalty to save their lives. Nowhere near as deep just crazy to me. But whatever

Their pk this year alone makes them a better team than last year . It seemed like they were giving up goals every other ok last year .Their pp with buch and zibby should be better as well. Younger players like ck and miller just continue to get better and better. The defense isn't better obviously but definitely not worse .

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Yeah I said it at the time it occurred in pretty much same words. What Getz did for Step was bigtime class move. You don't see that much in the league. Not surprising tho that Getz did that as I've always thought very highly of him from both a skill standpoint and as an ambassador of the sport. Tonight just enhanced my uber respect for him.

Any video of this, from my angle at the game I couldn't really see. I did see him grab him from the bench to help but would like a better angle

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Should we blow it up? Besides playing clendo over g what should we do this season?
Besides Pitt you don't believe we have a chance to beat anyone else in a 7 game series ?

First of all, Girardi should have been gone in the summer. Start there.

We have like a million top 9 forwards. Package one for defensive help.

Not much you can do now, but in the summer, send Girardi to I don't give a ****, just anywhere but this roster, deal Klein for cap, Holden too because every dollar counts and his value is high, sign Shattenkirk, trade Hayes for a defenseman of a similar price.

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Nash-Zibanejad-Fast
Vesey-Miller-Buchnevich
Puempel-NHL 4C*-Hrivik (Because Lindberg is terrible)

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-New Guy
Staal-Clendening

Do that, and you won't hear a word from me. I also want no part of this coach, but I've accepted that he wins games and he's probably not going anywhere.

The only thing I would do NOW is trade Grabner while his value is insane for a pick and maybe a prospect.

As this team is constructed today, I give them zero chance of beating any current playoff team sans Ottawa in 7 games, unless Hank outright steals it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The PK was what bottom three last year? It killed them

They are 12th right now
Top 10 on PP
2nd in goals per game average
5th in winning percentage playing in toughest division in hockey.

All with our best player having his worst season.

But this team can't beat Ottawa Toronto or MTL in a 7 game series. No chance. Because our corsi sucks? Boston is best possession team in the league. They stink!

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I thought we all knew this was going to be a transitional year? Maybe it's just me but I'm completely content with just letting the core group of forwards grow, not making any major changes just for the sake of change or a supposed "missing piece". Gorton seems to be pretty good at assessing team needs so if he's able to move out Girardi/Staal/Klein I have faith that he will. They don't exactly have a lot of value though.

Have some patience. Enjoy the growth of the kids.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's a top 5 or 6 team in the league you are what your record says you are, that I'm being told isn't very good and not better than last year. Can't beat anyone in a 7 game series.

Crazy talk

i absolutely think a team's record can be deceiving. remember when colorado won 50+ games? that was not a good team.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm really starting to get nervous about this as well that we end up moving past Columbus and end up one of top 3 seeds in East. Would love to be able to have the confidence that we could beat both the Pens and Caps this year but I just don't.

Been saying this for going on two plus months now. With the way the stupid playoff system is set up, it's in our best interests if we want to have a long, memorable and fun spring playoff run this year is to somehow finish 4th seed and play the very very vulnerable Atlantic on way to ECF.

This really looks to be the Caps year...they have it all. Great tending, best Top 6 d corps in the league and their 4 lines might even be better than ours which I think is a Top 3 in the league when healthy which we are now(knock on wood). This year's Cap team is much better than the 2010 team that dominated from what I've seen of them. I have no doubt in my mind they will beat the Pens out who have some warts which are starting to play out.

Tho Cap are better than us, I'd give us a punchers chance in the ECF so long as Hank is the Hank who played like he played tonight and who looks like he's got his **** together other than that first game after the all star break. You know of all the teams the Caps would not want to have to deal with in order to get to the Cup finals would be a date with us.

We seem to play our best hockey vs them Caps. So let's hope and pray we keep playing well and somehow end up 4th seed and than deal with a wart filled Canadian team which is very beatable and whoever else emerges in that pretty mediocre Atlantic division and we take our chances in the ECF....:nod:

caps defense is not that good

carlson is overrated af, alzner is flat out bad, orpik lol. niskanen is their best D for sure. schmidt/orlov have been very good tho. but a team giving carlson/orpik/alzner big minutes against other teams best players isnt gonna last long.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
caps defense is not that good

carlson is overrated af, alzner is flat out bad, orpik lol. niskanen is their best D for sure. schmidt/orlov have been very good tho. but a team giving carlson/orpik/alzner big minutes against other teams best players isnt gonna last long.
Took the words out of my mouth. I have never noticed Karl Alzner in any way. Like...he's been in the NHL for almost a decade and I have never...anything. The fact that Orpik is still even in the NHL is amazing. Would hardly be the first Caps team to be great in the regular season and then just fry in the playoffs. They're with the Sabres and Canucks, ****ing things up down to a science.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I thought we all knew this was going to be a transitional year? Maybe it's just me but I'm completely content with just letting the core group of forwards grow, not making any major changes just for the sake of change or a supposed "missing piece". Gorton seems to be pretty good at assessing team needs so if he's able to move out Girardi/Staal/Klein I have faith that he will. They don't exactly have a lot of value though.

About two weeks ago I remembered what I thought this season would be.

Now I'm just excited to watch Kreider continue to force crow down so many throats, Miller solidifying himself as a top-6 winger, and McDonagh looking once again like the dominant defenseman we knew he could be.

Thought this game was easily a Rangers win. Don't think the Ducks got even half the looks we did. Getzlaf breakaway was probably their best scoring chance, and McDonagh muted it.

Yes, it was impossible not to notice us getting out shot, but what can you expect from a team that can't ask its defenseman to pinch at the blue line? Honestly, the fact that we can score at the rate we do, and that we can generate chances at all with the flat, slow defense we roll out is astounding. I'm excited to see what will come over the next few seasons, as Skjei adjusts, and GMJG starts to bring in reinforcements on the blueline.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, almost 3 pts. for Miller, but he miss the open net and he was not happy about that one. Anyway Miller & Hank are my votes even though we were outshot badly in this game. :)

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
I will always love Girardi no matter how terrible he is. Dude is a warrior and dedicated like no other.

HM: Don't laugh....Girardi. I actually thought he was pretty OK tonight. And pretty OK is a heck of a compliment to be giving G at this point in his career....lol

G has had a terrible season with some really good games mixed in.
We can hope for either:

1) G gets bought out/traded/demoted.
2) G again becomes the solid McD support he once was.

I'm rooting so hard for 2). Would I bet my house on it? Maybe not, but it would be so sweet...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The PK was what bottom three last year? It killed them

They are 12th right now
Top 10 on PP
2nd in goals per game average
5th in winning percentage playing in toughest division in hockey.

All with our best player having his worst season.

But this team can't beat Ottawa Toronto or MTL in a 7 game series. No chance. Because our corsi sucks? Boston is best possession team in the league. They stink!

I would bet that if ppl looked at your posting history before Pittsburgh olbliterated us that you woulda said the same thing.

Take the rose colored glasses off...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Time for another meetup.

Pictures from the first one:

empty-pint-tap-bar.jpg

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

So much this.

Let the season unfold. If a deal is there to be made for a right handed pmd then make it, but not at the cost of a core player.

Further address the roster in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad