Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4 Oilers 3 OT

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If you replace McDavid with an "average" 1st line C... you'd basically have another Draisaitl... who'd of course be very good but this team would likely score about 30 less goals this season as well... which would put them at about -50 in goals differential... around where Ottawa/Vancouver/Arizona are.

Take McDavid out completely and replace him with a run of the mill NHL average borderline #2/3 centre (which is more realistic because where are you going to find another Drai easily?)... and this team is easily DFL with a goal differential of likely -80 or worse.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers are not gonna hang with the big boys until the GM builds a proper roster first.

All that Xs and Os stuff can come later.

Remove McDavid from this team. Honestly, do you think the Oilers would even be better than the Coyotes? That's the "supporting cast" this GM has built past Connor McDavid in 3 full off-seasons.

This is Connor McDavid + the worst team in the league without him.
If you’re going to imply that Mclellan isn’t the problem here then at least tell me what his strengths are.

I’m not sure exactly what a proper roster is in a cap world but if you’re suggesting good coaching isn't a necessity until we have better players then why are we paying this guy $3 million dollars a year? To me, if you have a roster of inferior players like you say we do, it would be even more crucial to have a good coach. We clearly don’t have one.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you’re going to imply that Mclellan isn’t the problem here then at least tell me what his strengths are.

I’m not sure exactly what a proper roster is in a cap world but if you’re suggesting good coaching isn't a necessity until we have better players then why are we paying this guy $3 million dollars a year? To me, if you have a roster of inferior players like you say we do, it would be even more crucial to have a good coach. We clearly don’t have one.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think it's really ever been all on the coaches.

IMO the only really bad coach the Oilers have had is Eakins. The other 6/7 coaches the Oilers have had were decent.

The root of the problem is very clearly elsewhere.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
the Oilers are indeed predictable ! can't hold leads, lack of being able as a team to work hard for 60 minutes, bad team defence and a crappy goal or two per game by Talbot. Talbot isn't getting off the hook for me, he let in a weak goal by Manson and a weak goal in OT. i am really on the fence about whether of not we should re-sign this guy? o_O

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
the Oilers are indeed predictable ! can't hold leads, lack of being able as a team to work hard for 60 minutes, bad team defence and a crappy goal or two per game by Talbot. Talbot isn't getting off the hook for me, he let in a weak goal by Manson and a weak goal in OT. i am really on the fence about whether of not we should re-sign this guy? o_O
After all the strong games he had this is the one you’re going to point to? There isn’t a better goalie out there for the Oilers to find.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Absolute joke that they allow that **** during an OT ****ing skating it back in your end wasting an entire ****ing minute like that.

I know. I usually shrug my shoulders at another oiler loss, but that overtime really pissed me off.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Talbot haters. Watch the highlights by the way, Talbot only had a chance on the OT goal.

No goalie should be playing both of back 2 backs against quality clubs due to their being no back up. What was up with Montoya that he wasn't available? Talbot wasn't as sharp as he was against LA but again goalies aren't meant to have to play both nights of a back to back.

Blame puck luck. There were 3 tipped goals. Its basically the ducks riding horseshoes. One minute left, what do we need to tie? Another tip goal from a completely otherwise harmless centering towards the net. I don't even know what that was or how the puck got 4ft in the air in the first place. Was it tipped twice?

Its hands of god stuff. Hockey can be brutal.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just too add to the overtime loss conversation.

Win the f***ing faceoff and then the Ducks can't play keep away. I agree with tOnedeff, the officials could have blown the play dead on the Ducks.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
No goalie should be playing both of back 2 backs against quality clubs due to their being no back up. What was up with Montoya that he wasn't available? Talbot wasn't as sharp as he was against LA but again goalies aren't meant to have to play both nights of a back to back.

Blame puck luck. There were 3 tipped goals. Its basically the ducks riding horseshoes. One minute left, what do we need to tie? Another tip goal from a completely otherwise harmless centering towards the net. I don't even know what that was or how the puck got 4ft in the air in the first place. Was it tipped twice?

Its hands of god stuff. Hockey can be brutal.
This was addressed earlier in the topic. Montoya injured. Brossoit recalled on emergency basis. Do you think Brossoit would have done any better on short notice?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was addressed earlier in the topic. Montoya injured. Brossoit recalled on emergency basis. Do you think Brossoit would have done any better on short notice?

Whats the injury? Trick toe nail? ;)

No, I'm thinking its somewhat odd that a backup that rarely even plays a minute (Montoya) is injured during the one back to back night you really need him. Kings +Ducks is too much heat, too much downlow action, too much physical punishment for a starter to be seeing both. If we were starting LB against anybody I wish it was against the Kings.

Again I'll repeat how much the Oilers version of spoiling sucks. Its indiscriminate. In 2015 we beat the Kings in an important game that was the breaker that allowed the Flames to make the playoffs.

This year we beat the Kings vastly helping the chances of the Ducks making the playoffs.

Yeah, I know I like the Kings but this sucks on so many levels. The worst possible outcomes occurred in these back to backs. With the exception that McD got points.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
What rule is this and where is it? The only rule of its kind is the puck has to keep moving forward on a shootout or the puck has to keep moving in the case of a scrum. I'm not aware of a rule saying a player has to move the puck in a given amount of time if the team not possessing it just lets them have it.

I believe this used to be in the NHL rule book years ago... but you're correct, I can't find it in the current NHL rulebook... it is in other Hockey rulebooks though:

http://www.carhahockey.ca/UserFiles/File/RuleBook/RuleBk small17c.pdf
Puck in Motion
Ice Hockey | Media Information Report - Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Common sense also dictates that's the whole point of hockey... to progress movement of the puck and not merely to kill time and I think it SHOULD be within the spirit of the general rules of hockey to impose a penalty ( or at least a faceoff in the offending teams zone) in that situation even though it's not specifically stated in the NHL rulebook currently.

It definitely is/was a rule, however the only time I recall it being enforced was way back in the day when a team (I think it was the flyers) got pissed at the static trap the other team was playing so they just held the puck in their own end and waited for them to do something. Think last night's OT without the skating.

Meanwhile, I'm glad the crowd booed them for it last night, pissed that it worked out for them.

Reactions: Summary

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It definitely is/was a rule, however the only time I recall it being enforced was way back in the day when a team (I think it was the flyers) got pissed at the static trap the other team was playing so they just held the puck in their own end and waited for them to do something. Think last night's OT without the skating.

Meanwhile, I'm glad the crowd booed them for it last night, pissed that it worked out for them.

Thanks, I'd never in my life seen something like this called and have been watching hockey for a half century. The only sport I have seen something like this called was in the Olympics Womens Soccer and allowed the US to tie the game late as they were awarded a penalty kick on a bogus delay of game call on the Canadian goalie. That was really upsetting. Anyway its an odd thing to complain about in a game. Complain about puck luck, anything, but what the Ducks did their made complete tactical sense. Its an astute play and if it works do it. If this was a nothing game at say game 22 in the schedule I could see people being pissed off about it but in a game the Ducks needed the pts I can't really blame them all that much for being careful and tactical out there with the Oiler OT deathsquad out on the ice. The only way you can stop that line in OT is not giving them the puck. Shame that Leon lost that faceoff, he's been pretty good on the dot.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I believe this used to be in the NHL rule book years ago... but you're correct, I can't find it in the current NHL rulebook... it is in other Hockey rulebooks though:

http://www.carhahockey.ca/UserFiles/File/RuleBook/RuleBk small17c.pdf
Puck in Motion
Ice Hockey | Media Information Report - Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Common sense also dictates that's the whole point of hockey... to progress movement of the puck and not merely to kill time and I think it SHOULD be within the spirit of the general rules of hockey to impose a penalty ( or at least a faceoff in the offending teams zone) in that situation even though it's not specifically stated in the NHL rulebook currently.

Complaining about something not being called, that I've never seen called in hockey in half a century is pretty odd. Seriously I didn't even know what you guys were talking about in reference to an alleged infraction. To me, sorry, its pretty silly complaining about what would have to be the most vague infraction I've ever heard of in hockey. The same fans here would go ballistic if such nonsense was ever called against the Oilers.

Hockey RARELY involves such stall tactics. It isn't an issue in hockey, there's no reason for rules to correct something that isn't a problem, ever, in a sport.

If you want to complain about delaying tactics and often going on for extended stretches of several minutes watch Soccer. You'll get to complain a lot. ;)

The Ducks simply employed a tactic that made perfect sense. They needed the pts. They needed the Oilers dynamic OT duo to not have the puck because obviously both McD and Drai were on last night. So they played keep a way. That the Oilers got scored on is their own fault.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Actually the Oilers have been quite good this year in holding leads. Their winning % after leading at the end of the first is 12th in the league. After leading at the end of the 2nd they are 9th. Their issue has been early goals against that dig them into a hole. It just feels like they can't hold leads because the losses to the Ducks stick in our minds far more than the typical game.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One more point. Citing an Old timers or Womens hockey interpretation is kind of funny. In Seniors hockey the puck in motion rule makes sense because if the puck is in motion theres more chance it ever gets near you...It might be too hard to skate 200feet and take all day...;) (I'm jk here)

But jk aside in Seniors hockey or womens hockey keepaway is much more tenable. you really could pull it off for entire shifts easily. Because in Seniors and Womens hockey puck pressure is VASTLY inferior to what it would be to top rung mens hockey. In the NHL, playing keepaway is actually inherently dangerous. Playing with the puck and overhandling it in own zone is often fatal. So that in the NHL playing keepaway is a tactical, but also option that requires skill and care. Fact of the matter is the Oilers on the ice were fatigued through their assignments in regulation and didn't have the gas left to pursue very well.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Thanks, I'd never in my life seen something like this called and have been watching hockey for a half century. The only sport I have seen something like this called was in the Olympics Womens Soccer and allowed the US to tie the game late as they were awarded a penalty kick on a bogus delay of game call on the Canadian goalie. That was really upsetting. Anyway its an odd thing to complain about in a game. Complain about puck luck, anything, but what the Ducks did their made complete tactical sense. Its an astute play and if it works do it. If this was a nothing game at say game 22 in the schedule I could see people being pissed off about it but in a game the Ducks needed the pts I can't really blame them all that much for being careful and tactical out there with the Oiler OT deathsquad out on the ice. The only way you can stop that line in OT is not giving them the puck. Shame that Leon lost that faceoff, he's been pretty good on the dot.

Yeah it gives new meaning to obscure rule, not surprised if it's not in the book any more. As for the Ducks last night, don't blame them at all but I really hope it doesn't become the new Thing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just too add to the overtime loss conversation.

Win the ****ing faceoff and then the Ducks can't play keep away. I agree with tOnedeff, the officials could have blown the play dead on the Ducks.

Draisaitl is over 55% on the dot this season and was 55% in the game. On the season he's 10% better on the dot (astronomical difference in efficiency) than the combined average of the other Centers we are using, McD, Nuge, Strome, Khaira.

But lets blame losing the faceoff, sounds reasonable..maybe David Staples could write another "error" blog on lost faceoffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Draisaitl is over 55% on the dot this season and was 55% in the game. On the season he's 10% better on the dot (astronomical difference in efficiency) than the combined average of the other Centers we are using, McD, Nuge, Strome, Khaira.

But lets blame losing the faceoff, sounds reasonable..maybe David Staples could write another "error" blog on lost faceoffs.
Draisaitl won that faceoff anyways and getzlaf got the puck from mcdavid, mcdavid needs to be stronger in that situation, wasn't draisaitls fault

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If that strategy becomes common I suspect the NHL will act. Three on three overtime has become a fan favourite. It may be a gimmick but it is often extremely exciting.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
After all the strong games he had this is the one you’re going to point to? There isn’t a better goalie out there for the Oilers to find.

Don't be ridiculous! Talbot has cost the Oilers many games this year with his mediocre goaltending. And you're suggesting that we re-sign him because he's "the best we can do"? That's grounds for a new rich and long contract? Seriously ? o_O

Reactions: Summary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad