Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4 Oilers 3 OT

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl won that faceoff anyways and getzlaf got the puck from mcdavid, mcdavid needs to be stronger in that situation, wasn't draisaitls fault

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was more of a contested puck and was anyway off the faceoff. I didn't think Drai won it.

In anycase the bigger problem is that both McD and Drai were very tired. Back to back games, both played very well on the night and Drai had the added strain of having to go up against Ducks top line all night and while playing with guys like Aberg, Cagg, Khaira. (Is it bad that I was almost happy when Cagg got hurt). This was too much to expect of Drai against a killer physical line. Aberg and Cagg couldn't handle the heavy play. Drai and the D were forced all night to bear the weight.

Anyway, yeah, zero gas in the tank left by the OT. McD and Drai would normally pressure puck better than that. You could tell the whole Oilers club was tired already in the first period. To their credit the Oilers found their legs in the 2nd but were gassed again by the 3rd. We hardly played games in February and we've played a ton of games in March. It catches up, especially with a team that is not deep and where some guys are pulling all the weight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't be ridiculous! Talbot has cost the Oilers many games this year with his mediocre goaltending. And you're suggesting that we re-sign him because he's "the best we can do"? That's grounds for a new rich and long contract? Seriously ? o_O

Talbot for my money was in the convo for one of the best goalies in the league last season. In the top handful at least. He was great. He could be great next year as well. He's played great for a month now. Its not like he forgot how to be a goalie. I would actually bank on him coming back with a strong season.

Momentarily I admit I went "oh f*** Talbot" a couple times last night but that were reactions. After watching replays I realize that 3 of the goals were tipped in close pucks. Just bad luck more than anything. It happens.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Don't be ridiculous! Talbot has cost the Oilers many games this year with his mediocre goaltending. And you're suggesting that we re-sign him because he's "the best we can do"? That's grounds for a new rich and long contract? Seriously ?
Yes Talbot hasn't been great this year. But after a string of strong games this is the one to call him out on?

The Oilers can't find value anywhere and have nothing of value to give up in a trade. This is the best we're going to get.

Unless you think Montoya or LB are poised to take Talbot's spot.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Should've been McDavid & Nuge in OT as it was in regulation. When Drai wasn't roofing low angle one-timers he was very average this game but at least he'd provide a perceived scoring threat following McDavid in OT.

Also McDavid and Nuge have shown Chemistry together so it makes little sense to break them apart in 3 on 3 just to pacify McLellan's comfort zone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't see the NHL acting to change any of the format in OT. Why change what is working. Its illogical to make changes based on outliers.

This is the only instance all season I've noted people here complaining about stalling in the OT. So now its a big issue requiring NHL change? c'mon, its not a big deal. Lets not employ more obscure rules. Anytime that is done it gives officials further ability to influence outcomes. No Oilers fans should want MORE judgement calls influencing outcomes. A penaly in OT is lethal almost half the time. Why give officials that much more game influencing discretion?

In anycase lesser delay tactics have already existed in OT. Teams will now routinely pass it back to their goalie to retain possession rather than contest a play and a chance of losing the puck. Puck possession has already taken serious hold in the 3 on 3 which is now essentially a game of extended stretches of possession. 3 on 3 has evolved a lot since it was initially played without any strategy and pretty much consisted of traded river ice rushes.

I actually like that 3 on 3 at least contains some strategy now.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Don't be ridiculous! Talbot has cost the Oilers many games this year with his mediocre goaltending. And you're suggesting that we re-sign him because he's "the best we can do"? That's grounds for a new rich and long contract? Seriously ? o_O

If I had to choose just one factor that sunk this Oiler's season it would be Talbot's play for the first 2/3 of the season. His habit of spotting the other team a goal or two wasted an unbelievably dominant season from McDavid during our compete window. So I'm not crazy about extending Talbot and resting our hopes on the prospect that he decides to actually focus next season if a contract year wasn't enough motivation for him.

(I'm also still waiting for the extra cap space Chia traded for to make a difference, so far hasn't won us many games)

Reactions: Dan Kelly

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
If that strategy becomes common I suspect the NHL will act. Three on three overtime has become a fan favourite. It may be a gimmick but it is often extremely exciting.

I'm not sure what the league could actually do about it though... how is what they did any different than a d pair passing it back and forth then heading behind the net waiting for a perfect breakout or line change? I think any rule change would be convoluted and/or easy to get around, they would have to change away from 3on3 to get more men out to forecheck safely.

Imo the only way to stop what they did is to counter it on the ice and while we weren't up to the task last night, I think it's doable. Have one guy forecheck to force them to do something (he will wear himself out and have to change quick) then have the other two staggered back to counter the inevitable rush.

We'll see what happens, hopefully last night was just an exaggerated one-off. I think most teams have more pride than that... the Ducks basically admitted "you're better than us, we'll take our chances in the shootout" then caught a break.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If I had to choose just one factor that sunk this Oiler's season it would be Talbot's play for the first 2/3 of the season. His habit of spotting the other team a goal or two wasted an unbelievably dominant season from McDavid during our compete window. So I'm not crazy about extending Talbot and resting our hopes on the prospect that he decides to actually focus next season if a contract year wasn't enough motivation for him.

(I'm also still waiting for the extra cap space Chia traded for to make a difference, so far hasn't won us many games)

The lack of run support and deplorable special teams were more of an issue than Talbot. Remove special teams and his stats are pretty normal on a season where people feel he's been terrible.

Heres a tidbit. People here think Quick is good. His career save % is .916. Talbot is .919. Talbot is playing years on a much worse team. Talbot is off his average this year but at .909

Brossiot is .886 on same club.

Montoya is .900

The backup even see easier games and of course are very rested and never overworked.

But I come here and the answer is lets get rid of Talbot to make the team better..because Talbot "sunk" the team.

How about the narrative that Talbot was the best player on this club last season and that including McD.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Heres a tidbit. People here think Quick is good. His career save % is .916.

To be fair, hard to blame them when Quick's sv% vs. the Oilers over his career is >.930, and full of highlight-reel miracle saves. More often than not whenever he plays the Oilers, he's on his game. I imagine there's few Oiler fans who shadow the Kings like you do, so most here won't see his warts.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
The lack of run support and deplorable special teams were more of an issue than Talbot. Remove special teams and his stats are pretty normal on a season where people feel he's been terrible.

Heres a tidbit. People here think Quick is good. His career save % is .916. Talbot is .919. Talbot is playing years on a much worse team. Talbot is off his average this year but at .909

Brossiot is .886 on same club.

Montoya is .900

The backup even see easier games and of course are very rested and never overworked.

But I come here and the answer is lets get rid of Talbot to make the team better..

Not arguing about Talbot for the most part, I agree he gets more shade here than he should. However the criticism of his 1st shot (and other) softies is valid, he needs to be better than that. And here is one of those times where I'll argue against myself and mention LB and (I believe) Montoya have also been guilty of early weak goals, so part of the problem is the team as a whole coming out flat.

Imo special teams is what sunk the season, an off year from Talbot (and several others) just turned a poor bubble type year into this dreadful mess we're in now.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be fair, hard to blame them when Quick's sv% vs. the Oilers over his career is >.930, and full of highlight-reel miracle saves. More often than not whenever he plays the Oilers, he's on his game. I imagine there's few Oiler fans who shadow the Kings like you do, so most here won't see his warts.

Oh, yeah, I see his warts lots. Quick hasn't been special since the Kings last cup win. He's a much worse game starter than Talbot is. Kings are playing from behind almost everytime he is in net. They've HAD to be the best 3rd period club in the league. Quick looks like he has panic anxiety starting games. I honestly think he's burned out. Too many games played, too much of the wars. Can't blame him. That's a hell of a lot of hard hockey he has played. He's probably about done.

That said my memories of Oilers playing Quick are things like Gagner scoring, yak scoring, Quick going ballistic, Kings losing. Last few seasons we have our share of wins over the Kings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not arguing about Talbot for the most part, I agree he gets more shade here than he should. However the criticism of his 1st shot (and other) softies is valid, he needs to be better than that. And here is one of those times where I'll argue against myself and mention LB and (I believe) Montoya have also been guilty of early weak goals, so part of the problem is the team as a whole coming out flat.

Imo special teams is what sunk the season, an off year from Talbot (and several others) just turned a poor bubble type year into this dreadful mess we're in now.

Yeah, its the whole team. The misattribution is that its due to Talbot. its due to everybody, including Talbot, only that he takes the blame and even will go along with that..

But the bigger issue was special teams and the Oilers not being able to score the first half of the season. You don't win many 1,2 goal for games.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I don't normally post, but I was able to watch the 2nd and 3rd period last night and I was actually quite impressed with the way the Oilers were playing up and down the lineup. I haven't seen them support the puck like they did in the second, all year. I feel that the only difference between the 2nd and 3rd is that the Dux were more desperate as they actually have something to play for. Bad bounces aside, we played well and the ducks be the ducks. Also, Ethan Bear!!! Woo-hoo! The look off pass to Drai and that filthy shot for what I was really hoping would have been the game winning goal.
Lucic has to dump the puck so much earlier than anyone else due to his speed, making it that much harder for his line to get to pucks deep and set up. Ugh, so frustrating. he better hit the gym hard this summer. Disgusting how much he gets paid vs production.

Also, where is McDavid on the even strength point list for the season now? 79? Is he 1 away from D.Sedin from 2010?

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Oilers are not gonna hang with the big boys until the GM builds a proper roster first.

All that Xs and Os stuff can come later.

Remove McDavid from this team. Honestly, do you think the Oilers would even be better than the Coyotes? That's the "supporting cast" this GM has built past Connor McDavid in 3 full off-seasons.

This is Connor McDavid + the worst team in the league without him.

yes yes we get it. If only we had signed demers and kept hall we would be a dynasty team. Really that is what your entire argument is constantly predicated on isn't it?

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
yes yes we get it. If only we had signed demers and kept hall we would be a dynasty team. Really that is what your entire argument is constantly predicated on isn't it?

We'd be in the playoffs this spring if a competent GM was put in charge in 2015.

Instead you get these results for hiring a crap manager.

Everything Bruins fans warned about has come to pass, we should have listened.

We have the best player in the world and in three full summers, this GM has built this sad, no talent group to help him and Leon with and that's a fact.

Remove McDavid and this is the worst team in the league that's left ... what exactly has this GM been doing for 3 full years? This core after 3 years and millions of dollars in cap thrown away is supposed to be acceptable?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers are one of the best 3 on 3 teams in the league. Anaheim should get some credit for using a strategy to neutralize Mcdavid. Hopefully in the future stuff like that gets called for a delay of game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets get positive. Hell of a game by Bear. BEAUTY assist pump fake/pass to Draisaitl for the goal. Its in the details. The pump fake MADE that play and the kid has the presence of mind to do that and nobody else here does. I LOVE this kid.

Then the spectacular one timer slot in. All kinds of form shown. Looks like the kid has scored that goal before. You think? Wow. Those two are the best offensive plays made by a D on this club with apologies to Nurse who gave him some big high fives.

This kid is going to be somebody.

Even his D looked a lot better. He was getting some hard shifts too, obviously, as he was out with Drai who was taking the Ducks topline.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

The issue with the PK at home (since that's the only issue with the PK) is closely linked to my concern with Talbot. He wasn't getting up for HOME games specifically and spotted the other team goals. Best in league PK on the road, worst in history at home. I'm not crazy about a goalie that might be great but also might just totally let you down. If a contract year and a chance to compete for the cup didn't get his attention until the season was over, then why will that change next season?

As for the rest I don't care about Quick

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Again - I stand by my post. I can't stand the *ucks but I have to give Carlyle and them credit - it was creative and ended up winning them the game.

It was ugly. It sucked. It was garbage to watch. Al of the above. But it wasn't against the rules, they were desperate for points, and our coach is too stunned to realize anything different is even going on.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We'd be in the playoffs this spring if a competent GM was put in charge in 2015.

Instead you get these results for hiring a crap manager.

Everything Bruins fans warned about has come to pass, we should have listened.

We have the best player in the world and in three full summers, this GM has built this sad, no talent group to help him and Leon with and that's a fact.

Remove McDavid and this is the worst team in the league that's left ... what exactly has this GM been doing for 3 full years? This core after 3 years and millions of dollars in cap thrown away is supposed to be acceptable?
remove McDavid and we have Hall and Eberle still on the team.....playoffs were right around the corner right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
remove McDavid and we have Hall and Eberle still on the team.....playoffs were right around the corner right?

Fact of the matter is, this GM has had 3 full years to build this roster, millions in cap dollars to spend, carte blanche to trade away good players ... and what is the result?

The supporting cast around McDavid is the worst in the league. Does anyone honestly think if McDavd was out of the lineup for any long stretch of time that this wouldn't be the 31st place team in the NHL?

Mac T or Tambellini could've delivered the same result, no? So what exactly is this manager bringing to the table that the Oilers haven't had in the past? Name one skilled player he's added to this roster for Connor to play with or someone he has added that enhances McDavid's game?

But keep on defending this and saying this is OK.

Reactions: dawunderboy

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Fact of the matter is, this GM has had 3 full years to build this roster, millions in cap dollars to spend, carte blanche to trade away good players ... and what is the result?

The supporting cast around McDavid is the worst in the league. Does anyone honestly think if McDavd was out of the lineup for any long stretch of time that this wouldn't be the 31st place team in the NHL?

Mac T or Tambellini could've delivered the same result, no? So what exactly is this manager bringing to the table that the Oilers haven't had in the past? Name one skilled player he's added to this roster for Connor to play with or someone he has added that enhances McDavid's game?

But keep on defending this and saying this is OK.

why does he need to be "skilled"? Conor Sheary and Chris Kunitz clicked with Crosby and no one is mistaking them for ultra-skilled players

heck, Pat Maroon scored 27 goals playing with McDavid

its about finding the right fit for Connor..right now Rattie is doing a good job of keeping it simple and getting to the right areas

as for Chia, I've liked his past 2 drafts...particularly drafting skilled players like Yamamoto, Bear, Maksimov, Safin, Puljujarvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad