Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4 Oilers 3 OT

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Ridiculous.
Of course it was planned. Just because it was planned by the second worse hated team of this fan base doesn't make it any less ingenious. It was very crafty and as an earlier poster stated, The Oilers should have realized the tactic and simply lined up at our blue line.
Still a risk - one poke check and perhaps a 2 on 1.
It wasn't crafty the play should have been called dead the 3rd time they did that shit the same way they called the play when the Flyers weren't moving the puck to mock Tampas 1-3-1 shit. The fact they didn't call the play dead when it hit the minute mark was absolute horseshit.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
It was an exciting game to be at, but man that f***ing OT had me leaving pissed off. f*** the Ducks.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I was hoping for a better ending to that one, but after that horrendous first ten minutes I'm glad the Oilers were able to pull ahead until the third.
So much for the four game winning streak:(

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
It wasn't crafty the play should have been called dead the 3rd time they did that **** the same way they called the play when the Flyers weren't moving the puck to mock Tampas 1-3-1 ****. The fact they didn't call the play dead when it hit the minute mark was absolute horse****.
I actually strongly agree with this.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What rule is this and where is it? The only rule of its kind is the puck has to keep moving forward on a shootout or the puck has to keep moving in the case of a scrum. I'm not aware of a rule saying a player has to move the puck in a given amount of time if the team not possessing it just lets them have it.

I believe this used to be in the NHL rule book years ago... but you're correct, I can't find it in the current NHL rulebook... it is in other Hockey rulebooks though:

http://www.carhahockey.ca/UserFiles/File/RuleBook/RuleBk small17c.pdf
Puck in Motion
Ice Hockey | Media Information Report - Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Common sense also dictates that's the whole point of hockey... to progress movement of the puck and not merely to kill time and I think it SHOULD be within the spirit of the general rules of hockey to impose a penalty ( or at least a faceoff in the offending teams zone) in that situation even though it's not specifically stated in the NHL rulebook currently.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's a possibility that McLellan already is reading the tea leaves and possibly has some knowledge that his sacking is very possibly/probably coming this summer.

Someone's head has to roll to give the perception that changes will be made to encourage season ticket holders to renew. At this stage I assume there's a lot of skepticism from most STH whether this next coming season will be any better than this one.

The special teams are collectively the worst in the NHL and coaches generally wear the blame for that (whether fully deserved or not).

Without a fairly massive player addition this summer ie a OEL/Karlsson type talent... I can't see STH renewing in sufficient quantities to sellout next season.

I think it's almost a necessity that a rather large change to either the coaching or GM spot takes place and we all know the coach is usually the first to get the axe... especially when options like Quenneville could be available in as soon as a few weeks time.

That could be affecting McLellan and contributing to his "f*** it... I'll chew some more tasty gum" attitude in games.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Talbot haters. Watch the highlights by the way, Talbot only had a chance on the OT goal.

I think Talbot has been playing better as of late... like the rest of the team though too little too late... but at lest he's getting on track which could be encouraging for next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's a possibility that McLellan already is reading the tea leaves and possibly has some knowledge that his sacking is very possibly/probably coming this summer.

Someone's head has to roll to give the perception that changes will be made to encourage season ticket holders to renew. At this stage I assume there's a lot of skepticism from most STH whether this next coming season will be any better than this one.

The special teams are collectively the worst in the NHL and coaches generally wear the blame for that (whether fully deserved or not).

Without a fairly massive player addition this summer ie a OEL/Karlsson type talent... I can't see STH renewing in sufficient quantities to sellout next season.

I think it's almost a necessity that a rather large change to either the coaching or GM spot takes place and we all know the coach is usually the first to get the axe... especially when options like Quenneville could be available in as soon as a few weeks time.

That could be affecting McLellan and contributing to his "**** it... I'll chew some more tasty gum" attitude in games.

lol, Oilers have McDavid, they know they're going to be sold out every night next year and his play down the stretch just reaffirms his status as must-see entertainment.

I think Todd probably is bordering on safe now too, this little stretch probably has saved his job. Quennville will want $6-$7+ million a year, I don't think the Oilers want to pay that plus paying Todd $3 million for another two years.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
lol, Oilers have McDavid, they know they're going to be sold out every night next year and his play down the stretch just reaffirms his status as must-see entertainment.

I think Todd probably is bordering on safe now too, this little stretch probably has saved his job. Quennville will want $6-$7+ million a year, I don't think the Oilers want to pay that plus paying Todd $3 million for another two years.

I'll guess we'll see in the coming months.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Talbot played okay, so many bounces went the way of Anaheim.
We decided to start the 3rd period already on our heels anyways, outcome was pretty inevitable.
Todd had himself a terrible game. The Ducks aren't just in the player's heads since last year, Carlyle is in Todd's.
A 3rd period collapse is a rarity in the NHL, but when it's Oil vs Ducks, it's a sure thing. ****ing sad.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My personal feeling is the only thing that will change next year is the Oilers hiring an associate coach to take over special teams if Katz gets pissed off.

McLellan + Woodcroft and the other guy will be back.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Money is not an issue here

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The success they have had recently is completely McDavid carrying this team.

The Oilers have 50 goals in the last 15 games and he's scored on 28 of them... 56% which is redonkulous.

Without him in the lineup they likely lose 50+ games this season and have a season not much different than the Avalanche had last season.

Right now McDavid is playing at a dominating level on this poor club that we likely haven't seen since Lemieux/Gretzky days.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The Oilers have 50 goals in the last 15 games and he's scored on 28 of them... 56% which is redonkulous.

Without him in the lineup they likely lose 50+ games this season and have a season not much different than the Avalanche had least season.

Right now McDavid is playing at a dominating level on this poor club that we likely haven't seen since Lemieux/Gretzky days.
Good thing we have Mcdavid. He’s only going to get better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Q takes a deal with the Rangers similar to what Babcock did with the Leafs, something stupid like $7 mill per x 7 years or something, and agrees to follow them through a rebuilding process.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Without him in the lineup they likely lose 50+ games this season and have a season not much different than the Avalanche had least season.

Edmonton McDavids completely, lol. They should just put Connor's face on the jersey next year.

They're like those crap Bulls teams in the 80s where Michael Jordan was the best player in league and they were called Michael Jordan and the Jordanaires.

Reactions: TB12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Last 15 games for McDavid and his biggest scoring rivals:

McDavid 28 pts on 50 Oilers goals = 56%
Malkin 22 pts on 56 Pens goals = 39.3%
Kucherov 19 pts on 58 TB goals = 32.8%
MacKinnon 27 pts on 53 Avs goals = 50.9%
Giroux 19 pts on 47 Flyers goals = 40.4%
Kopitar 22 pts on 47 Kings goals = 46.8%
Hall 19 pts on 44 Devils goals = 43.2%

MacKinnon is having an incredible stretch run and McDavid is STILL toasting even his stats... everyone else is left in the dust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Reed and Rob arguing on the radio where Reed thinks Anaheim planned the possession in OT and Rob disagrees. I don't mind Rob but he can be something else if one doesn't agree with him
No doubt in my mind it was planned. Carlyle has been coaching against Mclellan for years, he knows his players are under prepared for anything different and won’t be able to adjust on the fly. He also knows what the Oilers game plan in 3 on 3 overtime is. Worst part of what happened tonight is Carlyle gave the league the blueprint on how to stop the Oilers in overtime. So much for what was really the only exciting part of Oilers hockey this year.

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It was definitely planned by Carlye, just like that cute face off play they did last year in the playoffs where they scored right off the hop of the game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I doubt the goal was. We let up and allowed that opening, and Talbot just fell asleep.

Definitely trying to burn off some McDavid energy to start it off though. I'm sure they realized eventually McDavid was really using no energy circling, so they did their rush and it just worked out cause of some luck and weak stuff from us.

In the end, I think it was just Carlyle showing McLellan that even though McLellan has way better hair, Carlyle is still better at everything else. Carlyle is going nuts over his matches, trying to find openings, working the refs all he can, coming up with stuff like trying to get McDavid off the ice for OT. Mclellan is just making sure his gum is flavourful.
Watching how badly Carlyle out coaches Mclellan should be a wake up call to anybody who still supports him. On one hand we have a coach who is always looking for an edge to beat his opponents and on the other hand we have a coach that keeps trying to do the same thing whether it’s working of not. It’s beyond embarrassing to watch. I’ve never been a fan of Carlyle but watching him against Mclellan it’s clear how much better he is. I’d still love for someone to tell me what Mclellan’s strengths as a coach are. Watching him for three years, I don’t see any.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Watching how badly Carlyle out coaches Mclellan should be a wake up call to anybody who still supports him. On one hand we have a coach who is always looking for an edge to beat his opponents and on the other hand we have a coach that keeps trying to do the same thing whether it’s working of not. It’s beyond embarrassing to watch. I’ve never been a fan of Carlyle but watching him against Mclellan it’s clear how much better he is. I’d still love for someone to tell me what Mclellan’s strengths as a coach are. Watching him for three years, I don’t see any.

Oilers are not gonna hang with the big boys until the GM builds a proper roster first.

All that Xs and Os stuff can come later.

Remove McDavid from this team. Honestly, do you think the Oilers would even be better than the Coyotes? That's the "supporting cast" this GM has built past Connor McDavid in 3 full off-seasons.

This is Connor McDavid + the worst team in the league without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad