Duchene

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It sounds like the Avs are looking for Young to prospect level D. Not right now D

Fabrro plus Ribs last yr plus a 1st?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
This dude is being so overvalued it's ridiculous.

I hope and pray we're not the team to overpay.

A 26 year old center that has averaged .75 PPG and is winning 60+% of his face-offs would be hard to overvalue. Those guys don't grow on trees. He isn't even remotely a defensive liability either. He has just played on a team that has lacked consistent goal tending and defense. He would thrive with the predators and in todays NHL speed means so much. He has speed at an elite level. If he ends up in the east I won't be overly upset but if another team in the central gets him over us I would be.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Overvalued by HF standards but what his return will be is something totally different. Think back on any great to elite level forward and tell me who wins that deal each time? Think of what Atlanta got from NJ for Kovy is a great example. 3 players and a 1st, none of which turned in to anything. If they wanted Fabrro and Carrier and a 1st I'd do it in a heartbeat. Just giving an example of a deal obviously. I'd do Ekholm, Fabbro/Carrier and a 1st. I'd go as far as Ekholm, Fiala and a 1st. We still end up with the best player in the deal.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
A 26 year old center that has averaged .75 PPG and is winning 60+% of his face-offs would be hard to overvalue. Those guys don't grow on trees. He isn't even remotely a defensive liability either. He has just played on a team that has lacked consistent goal tending and defense. He would thrive with the predators and in todays NHL speed means so much. He has speed at an elite level. If he ends up in the east I won't be overly upset but if another team in the central gets him over us I would be.

His production among centers is in a class with Crosby, Malkin, etc over the last several years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

I think what we, or any other Central division team, would have to pay might be a little more than an Eastern conference team. Just a thought, but I wonder what his "value" to us is compared to a team who sees the Avs twice a year.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Do you mean in the circle because offensively, he hasn't broke 60 points since the 13/14 season? And is on a 55 point pace for this season. He's not elite...

Depends on your definition. Is he on the Crosby level? No. He is no doubt right there on the tier below that. If the Preds did end up getting him there is an argument to be made that he would be the 1C here. And if you hold that garbage fire of a team he is on against him this season that's on you.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's on me? WTF does that even mean??

I wouldn't take him over Ryan Johansen. Ryan is bigger and better offensively.
I'm assuming he's saying if you're blaming his lack of "impressive" numbers on the fact that the Avs suck that's not fair. Not saying it is or isn't, just what it seemed like to me.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
That's on me? WTF does that even mean??

I wouldn't take him over Ryan Johansen. Ryan is bigger and better offensively.

I am not so sure about being better offensively. He is bigger for sure though along with being much slower. From what I have seen over that past few years though Duchene is better defensively than Johanson is even with that lack of size. Duchene also has a better shot. Johanson on the half wall is better than Duchene without question though. As far as passing ability they are comparable. Duchene gets the benefit of being better on the dot but both are solid there. All in all though I think they are compareable players and having them both would be amazing. Teams would have to choose which one of these lines to key in on nightly.

Forsberg - Johanson - Jarnkrok
Neal - Duchene - Arvidson
Wilson - Fisher - Smith

I could see that giving a lot of team major trouble.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Over last 5 years, he's ranked #5 among all centers. Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Carter and Pavelski were the ones ranked higher
The problem is he's trending down each of the last 3... And it's not like Colorado has bad offensive forwards.

I also don't agree that Duchene is nearly the passer that Ryan Johansen is, and with our wingers, think having a great passer is pretty important, most teams don't have a Forsberg and a Neal on the wings. It is interesting though, when RyJo needed too he did put up 33 goals, and Duchene has never scored more than 30.

Also, Ryan Johansen is 2 years younger....

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have him but not at the prices I've seen mentioned. Hell, they're saying Josi for Duchene, even, they're not close to the same value. Josi scores as many points as Duchene from defense...

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The problem is he's trending down each of the last 3... And it's not like Colorado has bad offensive forwards.

I also don't agree that Duchene is nearly the passer that Ryan Johansen is, and with our wingers, think having a great passer is pretty important, most teams don't have a Forsberg and a Neal on the wings. It is interesting though, when RyJo needed too he did put up 33 goals, and Duchene has never scored more than 30.

Also, Ryan Johansen is 2 years younger....

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have him but not at the prices I've seen mentioned. Hell, they're saying Josi for Duchene, even, they're not close to the same value. Josi scores as many points as Duchene from defense...

Quick question who is they?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Matt Duchene to the Predators ... or Penguins?

Maybe the hottest name floated ahead of the deadline, Duchene is sure to draw some hefty compensation for the Colorado Avalanche. Nashville repeatedly has been pegged as the ideal landing spot for a young star of Duchene's caliber, not only because of the Predators' apparent hunt for a big-time scorer but thanks to Duchene's newly surfaced willingness to be dealt.

But plenty of other teams could be in play. What about the Penguins, who might need to do some salary trimming to afford a big name signed through 2018-19 but could benefit from pairing Sidney Crosby with some new life?

At the end of the day, whoever gets Duchene might have one job: Outbidding the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Bruins have there name in the hat too. it is impossible to see Poile outbidding the Canes or Bruins

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Elliot Friedman projects Duchene in order of likelyhood going to
5. Buffalo
4. Anaheim
3. Montreal
2. Minnesota
1. Islanders

There is much interest in the guy from a number of the talking heads. The price is going to be still and the Aves could well ask for Josi + and thats not something this team could stand.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
5. Buffalo
4. Anaheim
3. Montreal
2. Minnesota
1. Islanders

There is much interest in the guy from a number of the talking heads. The price is going to be still and the Aves could well ask for Josi + and thats not something this team could stand.

That's a whole list of new teams I haven't seen talked about. I guess no one really knows. It is out there that the Sens turned them down though.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
5. Buffalo
4. Anaheim
3. Montreal
2. Minnesota
1. Islanders

Theoretically true but I'm also not one to throw away the fact that Josi has 7 damn concussions at 26 years old.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Theoretically true but I'm also not one to throw away the fact that Josi has 7 damn concussions at 26 years old.
Really? Can you provide a local source to back these concussions? It was printed he had 5 before joining the Predators by one source that was never confirmed.

Also, how many has Duchene had again? He's missed more time than Josi.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Really? Can you provide a local source to back these concussions? It was printed he had 5 before joining the Predators by one source that was never confirmed.

Also, how many has Duchene had again? He's missed more time than Josi.
Local source? No but Swiss outlets say 7. Whatever it is, it's not great whether it's 3, 5 or 7. Duchene has had one.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be all in for Duchene, more players from central Ontario the better. As long as he works out better than our pickup from Haliburton.

I think you have to take into account the probable increase in protection slots as well, if the deal revolves around Ekholm. It would be foolish to not include Ekholm, as you'd be losing him or someone like Arvidsson if we did a deal revolving around prospects. If we went from 8-1 to 7-3-1, not only do you get to hold onto Jarnkrok and Arvidsson, you can essentially decide who you want to send to Vegas, since we will only have one halfway decent option.

I think the reasonable offer would be Ekholm+1st+prospect (Fiala/Fabbro/Girard). I would prefer if we gave up a lesser prospect, but you have to give to get. I wonder what Poile's holdup is, trading Ekholm or the prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad