Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, a fully healthy Karlsson (just to add that extra 5%), an in-form Stone, and a healthy Brassard, and the Sens may have won the Cup.
Well the Bruins with like even 1/2 of their d corps and maybe we don't get by the first round.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
it's bad enough that our run last year was questioned all over this site but this...hfsens....should be a place that it isn't.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
it's bad enough that our run last year was questioned all over this site but this...hfsens....should be a place that it isn't.

I'm not questioning the run, just pointing out how things would have been different had the team not come up big in some very trying circumstances.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Our run was basically Karlsson willing the team to victory.

Aside from Karlsson and Ryan who stepped up? Pageau? Certainly not any of our other core players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well the Bruins with like even 1/2 of their d corps and maybe we don't get by the first round.

Why do we always look at other teams injuries but don't credit our own injuries? Sens were far from healthy...

Karlsson and Brassard obviously, Ryan with an injured plagued season; MacArthur with 2 full years of concussions, Andy, Smith, Stone, Ceci, etc

Sens is a team that has been consistently hurt greatly by injuries over the last few years. Don't think you can look at anyone else and think "we're lucky"

Kind of sad when you think of it... This team doesn't have much going their way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Our run was basically Karlsson willing the team to victory.

Aside from Karlsson and Ryan who stepped up? Pageau? Certainly not any of our other core players.

Anderson was inconsistent, but did come up with some big games. Pyatt had a strong playoff considering his role.

All said though, I think Karlsson and Ryan consistently stepped up while the rest of the team seemed to alternate who made the big play when the team needed it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Anderson was inconsistent, but did come up with some big games. Pyatt had a strong playoff considering his role.

All said though, I think Karlsson and Ryan consistently stepped up while the rest of the team seemed to alternate who made the big play when the team needed it.

which is pretty consistent with every good run a team goes on

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
which is pretty consistent with every good run a team goes on
Agreed. Karlsson was the driving force, others chipped in intermittently. To suggest Karlsson did it in spite of his team is hyperbole; two or three players stepped up their games (Karlsson, Ryan, Pageau), the rest pretty much played to expectations.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan had a Conny Smythe worthy performance IMO. I was absolutely fired up by how he played in these playoffs. I love hockey for these moments

Many players were heroes from time to time but Karlsson and Ryan were the two that really rose to the occasion. It's impossible to have 10 MVPs

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
IMO, as long as Duchene was available, Turris never had a chance to stay. The price of a 2 way Col/Ott lateral trade not involving Turris was too high for Ottawa and it wouldn't have fit the budget. A circumstantial case can also be made that the framework for this deal was in place before the preseason and that Dorion saying post trade that he didn't know that Turris would accept 6x6 is bogus.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
IMO, as long as Duchene was available, Turris never had a chance to stay. The price of a 2 way Col/Ott lateral trade not involving Turris was too high for Ottawa and it wouldn't have fit the budget. A circumstantial case can also be made that the framework for this deal was in place before the preseason and that Dorion saying post trade that he didn't know that Turris would accept 6x6 is bogus.

IMO Turris being unwilling to sign here for 6x6 or thereabouts doesn't reflect well on management. It's their job to create an environment where players want to be, and Turris agreeing to terms with Nashville while still a member of this team, but being unwilling to sign for those terms in the city he played in for 5 years, is embarrassing.

I think it would reflect better on the state of the org is management just decided he wasn't worth it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It's clear to anybody with basic critical thinking skills that Dorion was stalling contract talks in order to buy time to get a Duchene deal done.

That doesn't mean that Turris would have signed here for 6x6 without trade protection, we'll never know. But it wasn't a case where Dorion went out and acquired Duchene because he couldn't sign Turris, it was a case where Dorion didn't make an honest attempt to sign Turris because he wanted to go out and acquire Duchene.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
IMO Turris being unwilling to sign here for 6x6 or thereabouts doesn't reflect well on management. It's their job to create an environment where players want to be, and Turris agreeing to terms with Nashville while still a member of this team, but being unwilling to sign for those terms in the city he played in for 5 years, is embarrassing.

I think it would reflect better on the state of the org is management just decided he wasn't worth it.
Building backwards using certain events and piecing those with known fact I doubt Turris ever had a chance to refuse or accept any offer so I wouldn't be too quick to put any of what happened on him. It's more likely that Dorion never intended to keep Turris. From the start, Turris was in Dorion's view the cheapest path to acquiring his target player.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Building backwards using certain events and piecing those with known fact I doubt Turris ever had a chance to refuse or accept any offer so I wouldn't be too quick to put any of what happened on him. It's more likely that Dorion never intended to keep Turris. From the start, Turris was in Dorion's view the cheapest path to acquiring his target player.

This is my feeling as well. I have very serious doubts that he was given that offer.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It's clear to anybody with basic critical thinking skills that Dorion was stalling contract talks in order to buy time to get a Duchene deal done.

That doesn't mean that Turris would have signed here for 6x6 without trade protection, we'll never know. But it wasn't a case where Dorion went out and acquired Duchene because he couldn't sign Turris, it was a case where Dorion didn't make an honest attempt to sign Turris because he wanted to go out and acquire Duchene.

Seems your agreeing with me here on Dorion's focus but most pundits said the deal stalled a day or two before it happened. In my view of events that was a second stall, the original framework was in place since at least just before the pre-season and only didn't happen because Col and Nash couldn't agree on their part. I also believe that Dorion had to know that Turris was ready to accept a 6x6 deal from Nashville. There is no way Nashville could discuss assets with Col unless they knew that Turris would re-sign with them. Turris did not sit out 4 pre-season games for nothing he had to have been involved and a trade must have been close. Both he and Dorion knew what was happening and the only thing left was Sakic asking more than Nashville wanted to give up or the deal would have been done then. The 2nd stall just before the trade was probably caused by Sakic trying to milk a bit more out of Dorion and it was overcome when someone blinked. Possibly Nashville changed the mix, the Sens sweetened the pot a bit to satisfy Col or less likely Sakic finally caved a bit.

The only thing I might add is that Turris himself said 6x6 was never offered by the Sens. I know some people quote taxes and such but the fact he brought that up without prompt tells me he wasn't the holdup and would have taken it. Dorion was defensive when he was asked in a following interview why he never made the offer. He countered well they never offered it either as though somehow it was something out of the blue. Baloney! Dorion knew for weeks what Turris was going to get from Nashville yet as I said he had no interest in Turris at 6x6. Dorion's mind was set on Duchene and that was it.

Reactions: inthewings

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think that's what mgmt did decide. pretty sure they didn't want to go north of 5. That's their right. Turris felt like he was worth 7 or 8 or so the story goes. Personally I think Turris and his agent overred the tea leaves and accepted the 6*6 deal after they realized they weren' getting 7 or 8 in ottawa or 7 in Nashville. That to me is the best explanation on the 2 day delay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad