Rumor: DUCHENE THREAD: Garrioch: Sens "aggressively" pursuing Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I'd bet something around Chabot... it's been highly reported Sakic wants a Left handed D-Man. But again, just speculation on my part.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The ask has to include Chabot at a minimum. My guess is Chabot plus one of Brown or White.

Makes no sense. Duchene has had 70 points(71 games),55 points(82 games),59 points(76 games) and 41 points(77 games) the last 4 seasons.
No team will pay for 70 point Duchene when he hasnt scored like that in 4 seasons and is so close to beeing an ufa.

Chabot is a top defensive prospect, maybe the best defensive prospect in the NHL. Makes no sense for Ottawa to do it and it would be a massive overpay.
Im not a sens fan btw, and if Duchene is traded he might score 70 points somewhere else but if Avs is expecting a team to pay for 70 point Duchene i dont think he will be traded. Its a ridicolous asking price after the seasons he has had lately, no matter how good/bad Avs have been those seasons.

If Chabot was on the table, i think this trade would have been done a long time ago.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs need young high-end LHD prospect and only Chabot works, since Cecci is a RHD. Assuming Chabot is unavailable, not much else they can add besides mostly Forwards and B-level LHD or high end goalie.

Duchene

for

Brown or White (pick a colour)
2018 - 1st Pick
Englund/Harpur/Hogberg (pick one)

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
the only way Sakic is going to get what he wants is if he keeps Duchene and Duchene magically returns to the level of player he was a couple of years ago so he can actually make the sell of "see! 70 pt 1C!" without insulting other GMs intelligence.

Considering the cloud that will hover over Duchene in Colorado and the fact that Duchene is an established quitter, I doubt Duchene gets motivated in Colorado this year and I expect his value to tank even more (if that's even possible).

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't think much will come of this unless Sakic seriously changes his mind. Sens aren't moving Chabot, not a chance, and they probably aren't moving Ceci with Karlsson's injury + letting Methot go. Not that Ceci would be a great fit in Colorado anyways. I don't see Sakic letting go of the Chabot demand in exchange for one of Harpur / Englund / Claesson as the D centrepiece. That's a pretty incredible downgrade; Chabot simply would not be fair, but neither would one of the 3 I mentioned as the D centrepiece - and that D centrepiece matters more than anything else.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ya, I strongly doubt it involves Chabot.

Not for someone who's 2 years away from being a UFA. Ceci? Sure. Would sting - especially if Duchene walks, but it's not going to cripple them long term.

There's a reason why Duchene is still in COL, and that's because no one is willing to part with a young key piece like what Sakic wants. Eventually he'll get the news, and accept the sort of package we all know this will ultimately be.

Something around a decent young top 4D (but who's probably not slated to be a top 2D), a good young prospect and depending on the prospect a 2nd or a 1st.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The avs are headed in a youth direction. There's no way they're trading duchene centered around a 32 year old defenceman. It's the complete opposite of what they're trying to do.

They're looking at options that will last them 5 years from now, not 2.

Basically any LHD would be a welcome addition to the avs. That doesn't mean you use Duchene to get one.

I'm not saying it's centered around Phaneuf--he just balances the salaries. The return for Duchene would still be there in terms of young players and prospects. But the fact is he'd help your team in terms of development. He'd fit that roster like a glove for the remaining years on his deal.

Like I said: Duchene and Soderberg for Phaneuf and futures could be an interesting basis for a deal IMO.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If Chabot were on the table this deal would have been done a long time ago.

the fact that you think the Senators need to add one of their two other best prospects to Chabot is laughable given the respective seasons that Chabot and Duchene just had.

What season did Chabot just have? 1 NHL game and 0 point? Lets not get carried away here, he' still just a prospect, we've seen better bust. Remember when Rundblad was the best prospect in hockey?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I love'd Duchene's game two years ago, but he seems to have regressed quite a bit since then.

Just as an FYI, up until Feb/Mar he was playing at a 50+ pt pace. It wasn't until the TD or a few weeks leading up to it when the rumors started coming out that his game cratered. I know 50+ pts isn't great... but seeing how crappy that team was, it's not bad all things considering.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sens can be "aggressive" all they want.

Avs are going to insist on Chabot and laugh at Ceci. Nothing will get done unless Dorion has decided Chabot could be moved.

Otherwise, nothing to see here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Whats the news in here?

That Ottawa is still interested for the right price?

Shocker.

Garrioch himself even said in that article that they are not even close.

And I put on my Nostradamus hat:

They won't be close anytime soon...

Dorion calls Sakic and asks for Duchene. Sakic tells him that he wants Chabot as the centerpiece of a deal. Dorion says hell no but look I have these pieces I could give you instead.
Sakic says No. Dorion says Ok. What about these?
Sakic says No. Dorion says ok I could also be forced into trading that.
Sakic says interesting and I will have to get back to you on that one.
Dorion never hears from Sakic again. Atleast not unless Dorion calls again.

Thats kind of how I see that going...

Especially now with White out longterm, as well as Karlsson being hurt there really is no chance that a deal between the Avs and Sens happens right now.

I mean AJ Haefele who is somewhat legit is basically telling everyone that it is not gonna happen because of exactly that reason.
Avs want Chabot. Sens don't want to trade him for Duchene but want to give up other pieces for him. Avs are not all that interested in that. Garrioch with the huge story...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chabot in any deal or Dorion wins GM of the year. Ceci is not a centerpiece defenseman that Sakic has been insisting on.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
It would have to be centered around White or Brown. They aren't going to trade Chabot or Ceci so I doubt anything happens here.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Only winning Defenseman of the year, and playoff MVP in the Q, amongst other achievements. Ya, what a plug, 0 points in the NHL.

A junior award means nothing, he's not a proven commodity in the NHL.
BTW how many names do you recognize on this list for the past 10 years?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Bouchard_Trophy

Maybe 2? The last defenseman on that list that actually turned into a star was Letang 10 years ago...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The ask has to include Chabot at a minimum. My guess is Chabot plus one of Brown or White.

OF course that's the ask. But if ANYONE was willing to give up someone like him, Duchene would have already been traded.

the only way Sakic is going to get what he wants is if he keeps Duchene and Duchene magically returns to the level of player he was a couple of years ago so he can actually make the sell of "see! 70 pt 1C!" without insulting other GMs intelligence.

Considering the cloud that will hover over Duchene in Colorado and the fact that Duchene is an established quitter, I doubt Duchene gets motivated in Colorado this year and I expect his value to tank even more (if that's even possible).

I do not even think he needs to return to that level. Just him playing at a 50-60 pt pace on that terrible Colorado team would be enough - IF his contract didn't expire in 2 years.

Personally the only way COL is getting anything close to what they're asking for is if Sakic waits until this summer or maybe the TD when it's closer to where a team could start talking about a new contract extension. And Sakic would have to let the team talk to Duchene first.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I really do not see this as a realistic option for Ottawa. Karlsson is expected to be out until around November, I just do not see them trading Chabot or Ceci...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As they should be, because you are in the Atlantic and you got Matthews and Eichel and Stamkos and Barkov Kyle Turris, while good doesn't match up.

That said With Karlsson out can they afford to part with a D man right now?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Don't think much will come of this unless Sakic seriously changes his mind. Sens aren't moving Chabot, not a chance, and they probably aren't moving Ceci with Karlsson's injury + letting Methot go. Not that Ceci would be a great fit in Colorado anyways. I don't see Sakic letting go of the Chabot demand in exchange for one of Harpur / Englund / Claesson as the D centrepiece. That's a pretty incredible downgrade; Chabot simply would not be fair, but neither would one of the 3 I mentioned as the D centrepiece - and that D centrepiece matters more than anything else.

I agree there is not enough quality LHD available beyond Chabot, if they Sens are willing to sacrifice their strong Forwards Brown or White (maybe both) + 1st? Realistically, this is unlikely as well and there's just not enough to make this work.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
at first i read Turris for Duchene and laughed but now that i see it in writing it makes sense....

Turris (willing to re-sign) + a Prospect for MD would pretty much save Sakic's day he would get a perfect 2C for macK who is not old enough to be viewed as less valuable and hed prob get a pick or immediate roster player that would be young. This wouldnt shock me one bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad