Rumor: DUCHENE THREAD: Garrioch: Sens "aggressively" pursuing Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Barring Ottawa changes their mind on chabot, I don't see how this has any legs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can't imagine that Ottawa would want to move what Colorado probably wants. With Karlsson out they are paper thin on the blueline as is. Turris+ might work, but doesn't really solve anything for Colorado.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Phaneuf is kind of interesting actually. I've always said he's got pretty much ZERO value on the open market, but the Avs are in a bit of a bind and he makes some sense.

Duchene and Soda for Phaneuf and the quality pieces could work as the basis of a deal.

The Sens would be in tough on the left side in the short term, but their center depth would be among the best in the league.

That said, Garrioch is a hack. Duchene goes to Montreal IMO.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
How does one "aggressively" pursue a player that is apparently not for trade or has been for 18 months(I can't actually tell which it is at this point).

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Phaneuf is kind of interesting actually. I've always said he's got pretty much ZERO value on the open market, but the Avs are in a bit of a bind and he makes some sense.

Duchene and Soda for Phaneuf and the quality pieces could work as the basis of a deal.

The Sens would be in tough on the left side in the short term, but their center depth would be among the best in the league.

What?

Phaneuf makes no sense whatsoever.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Nooo, I don't want to pay whatever the price is for Duchene.

He's not going to put this team over the top and we can't afford to lose any of our young defenders.

Unless we're low-balling Sakic big-time, please refrain Dorion!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lmao if Ceci is the main piece, Sakic is even worse a GM than the worst in the NHL.

Is that possible?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What?

Phaneuf makes no sense whatsoever.

Explain. You have no left defense beyond Zadorov--Barberio played 21 minutes a game last season. And the Senators will need to balance the salaries moving in as they are a budget team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Gotta say, i could see it.

Lost Methot, MacArthur could be done, Brassard doubtful to be ready for opening night along with EK, quiet summer and the fact they made the ECF, there's a lot of things that make a GM think "i got to do something to improve the team".

It's not going to involve Chabot though. There's no way they give him up.

Sens can offer a good package without losing Chabot. I could see something around White and Harpur.

White is a good C/RW prospect, Harpur is a 22 yr old 6'6 NHL-ready dman who could be the odd man out in Ottawa with EK/Phaneuf/Ceci/Chabot/Claesson/Wideman/Boro/Oduya there right now.

If im Sakic, i see a lot of value in those 2 guys. Both fit needs for the Avs and would be part of their future.

It's not going to involve a blue chip d prospect but maybe Sakic is coming around to the idea that no one is willing to give that kind of asset for Duchene right now.

Harpur is honestly a guy who flies under the radar. He could turn out really good.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

That said, Garrioch is a hack. Duchene goes to Montreal IMO.

1. Phaneuf would never waive, haven't you guys been through this already? He wouldn't waive to Vegas and they're a more well adjusted team already than the Avs.

2. If you add Duchene to Brassard and Turris, you're going to have to move one of the C's out as well, unless you are moving Pageau to wing but the top 9 C's would be very good for sure - Duchene, Turris, Brassard...however you want to change the last 2 around, that's good depth, but then you are looking at some youngsters that might not get the opportunity that they thought they were if they were ready.

3. Divisional wise, yeah I think the Sens would have the best depth, this is from an outsider that despises the Sens saying this as well. Leafs may have Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, etc...but Duchene, Turris, and Brassard as well as Pageau, White etc...that's very good depth.

But also, that division isn't exactly known for amazing centers, some very good ones sure...but here's what that division offers for C's...

Bergeron
Krejci
Eichel
O'Reilly
Trochek
Huberdeau
Barkov
Drouin
Stamkos
Johnson
Matthews
Kadri
Bozak
Turris
Brassard
Pageau
Larkin
Zetterberg - Is he a C or LW these days?

That's not bad, but not great in comparison to the Metro division.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Don't see how they get anything done without starting with Thomas Chabot. There's just nothing else there defensively in the prospect pool or on the roster that seems like a big enough piece.

That would be stupid as hell by Sens. Duchene isnt fetching a top prospect like Chabot after the season he had and so close to beeing an ufa.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Explain. You have no left defense beyond Zadorov--Barberio played 21 minutes a game last season. And the Senators will need to balance the salaries moving in as they are a budget team.

The avs are headed in a youth direction. There's no way they're trading duchene centered around a 32 year old defenceman. It's the complete opposite of what they're trying to do.

They're looking at options that will last them 5 years from now, not 2.

Basically any LHD would be a welcome addition to the avs. That doesn't mean you use Duchene to get one.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Phaneuf picks his spot.

I would guarantee Colorado isn't on that list and Phaneuf isn't similar age to Duchene, that would be of zero interest.

The Avs D right now is Zadorov (LD), Johnson (RD), Barrie (RD) and then whichever side Barberio fits into. They'd want a LD, but of similar age to those 3, so around 22-26.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
The ask has to include Chabot at a minimum. My guess is Chabot plus one of Brown or White.

If Chabot were on the table this deal would have been done a long time ago.

the fact that you think the Senators need to add one of their two other best prospects to Chabot is laughable given the respective seasons that Chabot and Duchene just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad