LeBrun: Dubois wants out of Winnipeg, will not sign a contract for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This or equivalent has been turned down 100's of times. You are trolling at this point.
After Dubois goes somewhere else, the Habs will be back to rebuilding from pretty close to a scorched earth starting point last year.

Maybe Dach will take another huge step forward and be as good or better than PLD. It definitely could happen. I think it's far more likely they are looking a gift horse in the mouth on getting this dude.

Another team will get him for a solid price through his prime once the cap goes up a ton for Oct 2024. Winnipeg is already taking 75 cents on the dollar for the guy in all likelihood. No chance in hell he goes for 50 cents to the Habs. Like ducky already said, Chevy will risk the offer sheet, holdout and injury and wait til the deadline to get a real return.

Reactions: Buffdog

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Highly rumoured players never go to Montreal. I've seen this story too many times to believe he'll even sniff Montreal air outside of offseason and road games.

Exactly. Sundin, Lecavalier, Hossa, Shanahan, Lapointe, Duchene, this is far from the first time. Using Montreal as leverage is a classic tactic.

That said, PLD in Boston would be an incredible heel turn.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I saw this thread had 143 pages, figured there be one big updates or information in here. Nope.

PLD has played his last game in Winnipeg.

What's next for him, as a sens fan, I hope it's Montreal. This guy is over rated as f.

My two cents for nothing.

Post edit.....Now that I said this, Dorion is gonna trade for him, sigh

We're actually discussing on our board why Ottawa isn't talked about as a destination for him. Good assets, although no 2023 1st, close to home, rising young team that actually wants to make playoffs next year....

Can't see him in Montreal. It's been a year! A f***ing year! What is there really to talk about anymore.

It'll be a relief when he finally gets traded.

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
After Dubois goes somewhere else, the Habs will be back to rebuilding from pretty close to a scorched earth starting point last year.

Maybe Dach will take another huge step forward and be as good or better than PLD. It definitely could happen. I think it's far more likely they are looking a gift horse in the mouth on getting this dude.

Another team will get him for a solid price through his prime once the cap goes up a ton for Oct 2024. Winnipeg is already taking 75 cents on the dollar for the guy in all likelihood. No chance in hell he goes for 50 cents to the Habs. Like ducky already said, Chevy will risk the offer sheet, holdout and injury and wait til the deadline to get a real return.
Dubois decides if you get 50 cents on the dollar compared to 75 cents because he doesn’t need to sign a long term deal with whoever the highest bidder is in a trade that benefits Winnipeg. If he isn’t offered the money he thinks he’s worth by the team he wants to commit the next 8 years of his life too, then it may be in his best interest to bet on himself for a year. And after coming out and saying he’s all but done in Winnipeg, everybody knows he can’t go back to that organization without being a distraction. Winnipeg is in a pickle.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe..but...

He lives in Quebec and that would be the ultimate pissing in his bed. I know rural Quebeckers and they are not that forgot and forgiving kind. Especially under these circumstances.
Will the Habs pay PLD the Horvat + contract? He’s looking to cash in and that takes leverage. He’s created leverage. Very similar to the Horvat playbook just more public.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

One dollar on the dollar would be the Fiala, Horvat, returns.

75 cents on the dollar would be exactly what Montreal is offering, 31st pick plus b prospect/ player

Reactions: ReHabs

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Doesn't change the fact that if thats the best thing thats offered Chevy won't have any other thing but to take it.

Otherwise PLD will just sign his QO and be done with the Jets in a year.

They cab trade him at the TDL, but the return may be terrible if PLD isnt performing.

Barris. Or any prospect thats partnof our top 5-10 shouldnt be included.

You lose the deal when you deL and your hands are tied. Jets fans need to understand they won't get a dollar back for their dollar. It sucks but it's true.
What you fail to see, is that Hughes is under pressure to fix this. The fans (those who is not of HF boards, partners to the Canadiens, donors etc etc) expect PLD to be a Canadiens this summer. Here is a hometown boy willing to play for his hometown and if you fail to bring him home because you cheap out, good luck telling that to all your financial backers. It is easy to play though when you dont know the real stakes..

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
What you fail to see, is that Hughes is under pressure to fix this. The fans (those who is not of HF boards, partners to the Canadiens, donors etc etc) expect PLD to be a Canadiens this summer. Here is a hometown boy willing to play for his hometown and if you fail to bring him home because you cheap out, good luck telling that to all your financial backers. It is easy to play though when you dont know the real stakes..
I think you have the teams reversed, Montreal is not the team with any pressure. No shortage of fans, sponsors, STHs. Everyone seems to be on board with the course the team is taking. The only ones who will complain are the same bigots in the media who are always trying to force every local onto the team. Winnipeg on the other hand need to hit a homerun or Chevy might be looking for a new job, if he comes up on the losing end of this offseason exodus of talent from Winnipeg.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think you have the teams reversed, Montreal is not the team with any pressure. No shortage of fans, sponsors, STHs. Everyone seems to be on board with the course the team is taking. The only ones who will complain are the same bigots in the media who are always trying to force every local onto the team. Winnipeg on the other hand need to hit a homerun or Chevy might be looking for a new job, if he comes up on the losing end of this offseason exodus of talent from Winnipeg.
Honestly, if Jets for once told the truth and said we need to rebuild and had a clear vision, the support would be strong, but now they just half-ass and fans tune out. Do a proper rebuild and fans would buy it

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Dubois isn't a superstar. stakes ain't high

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Montreal already had a ton of pieces they could build around since Hughes took over. Let’s not act like Bergevin left the Habs with no future at all.
Will the Habs pay PLD the Horvat + contract? He’s looking to cash in and that takes leverage. He’s created leverage. Very similar to the Horvat playbook just more public.
I think/hope Habs breaking point for a PLD contract is 8.5M. I can live with that - That’s a bit higher than the Roope Hintz contract. Anything over that and I would prefer to pass on the player and stay the course on the rebuild. The lower his contract demands gets, the higher I am willing to give up in terms of assets

Reactions: Fatass

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Montreal already had a ton of pieces they could build around since Hughes took over. Let’s not act like Bergevin left the Habs with no future at all.

I think/hope Habs breaking point for a PLD contract is 8.5M. I can live with that - That’s a bit higher than the Roope Hintz contract. Anything over that and I would prefer to pass on the player and stay the course on the rebuild. The lower his contract demands gets, the higher I am willing to give up in terms of assets
I see him having to settle in that 8.5M range as well, maybe even closer to 8

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One dollar on the dollar would be the Fiala, Horvat, returns.

75 cents on the dollar would be exactly what Montreal is offering, 31st pick plus b prospect/ player
I'm not sure I agree, but I definitely get what you're saying here. I still think 31st plus a prospect roughly the value of a 2nd is a fair amount less that what he will end up going for.

The Jets would be better off trading him away for rental value at that point. The Jets got more than 31st + B prospect for Copp...

Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Maybe that's a big part of the gap in offers. I figured that 9M number is a bit flexible. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, haha
I hope so too. If the reports that he wants to play in Montreal (and has to) for quite a while is true - and there’s no reasons to believe it is not - and he stand firm on his 9M ask then he will only have himself to blame for being traded elsewhere and not playing in Montreal.

Reactions: hn777

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I hope so too. If the reports that he wants to play in Montreal (and has to) for quite a while is true - and there’s no reasons to believe it is not - and he stand firm on his 9M ask then he will only have himself to blame for being traded elsewhere and not playing in Montreal.
Agree 100%

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Still think the Avs are in on him and would definitely give him an 8 year deal, just depends if he'd sign the extension

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Still think the Avs are in on him and would definitely give him an 8 year deal, just depends if he'd sign the extension
They do seem like a dark horse that aren't doing their negotiating through the media. Beautiful area, great team, they can afford to give up value, lost Landeskog...

Dubois could basically fill the role Kadri played to a tee

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
They do seem like a dark horse that aren't doing their negotiating through the media. Beautiful area, great team, they can afford to give up value, lost Landeskog...

Dubois could basically fill the role Kadri played to a tee
Yeah and his age fits well with the Avs core. Avs will definitely beat any offer I've seen on posted by Habs fans on this site

Reactions: Pongs21 and hn777

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah and his age fits well with the Avs core. Avs will definitely beat any offer I've seen on posted by Habs fans on this site
If this thread is any indication, that's pretty likely. Most of the return listed are more in line with what the Avs paid for Lehkonen...

And it makes sense. The Avs are looking for a player to help take a run at a Cup. The Habs are not.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Feels like PLD to Boston makes alot of sense. Bruins are poentially about to lose their top 2 centres and O'Rielly is the only UFA option. Trade Ullmark+Grzelyck/Hall and then use those assets on PLD?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Feels like PLD to Boston makes alot of sense. Bruins are poentially about to lose their top 2 centres and O'Rielly is the only UFA option. Trade Ullmark+Grzelyck/Hall and then use those assets on PLD?
Heck, with the Jets losing Helle as well, getting Ulmark and Grez back for Dubois would probably be the exact type of return the Jets seem to favour. Not sure if the cap works or if it could be better, but a Boston goalie to Winnipeg this summer makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Malkinstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad