Rumor: Dubois not signing long term, plans to go to Unrestricted Free Agency in 2024

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My belief is the Rags/Jets would be good trade partners. I guess it boils down to a few things. A sign/trade for PLD would bring the bigger return back for the Jets. A pure trade right now for his RFA rights likely less.

PLD is a very good 2nd line center right now. Big,strong and skilled. People forget that Connor had a monster year playing with PLD because of all the little things he does on the ice. Connor had room and time to do what he does best. I think all the things the Rags fans loved about Copp they would love even more with PLD because he is a better version of Copp. He excels at making players around him better and he plays with snarl. I think you play him with Lafreniere and watch him explode into that number 1 pick you were promised.

He also fits in with your team with his age. His best years with that young group while you hopefully get the best remaining years out of Panarin and Kreider. You got to the conference finals this year, so what do you need to do to win it all and what can you do without to make a trade possible?

As for the Jets I am maybe going to ask for Schnieder or Othmann. Maybe its Lundqvist or Cuylie. I think some where there is a deal to be made. It just makes too much sense considering the history of these two teams

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
1st, kakko, Schneider, chytil, Othman

Only if you take Shesterkin and Panarin too!!!

I want nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. To do with PLD on this team. I absolutely despise his well documented lack of effort in 50% of the games he plays. He was completely invisible against NYR when we played them. It was to the point that even Micheletti talked about how bad he was in the pregame coverage for their next matchup saying "don't expect that to happen again he's a dangerous player!!" and then he proceeded to drop another fat deuce.

We already paid assets for Copp. Sign him instead

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay two seasons and then he can potentially walk.

Fiala's level of production didn't really increase that much. He's been around a 70 point winger with some pretty bad players next to him. It wasn't until he got Boldy that Fiala took off.

I don't see much in DuBois other than a middle 6 center like Strome
Trying to equate Strome with PLD is like trying to equate Zibanejad with McDavid. It's just patently absurd on its face to anyone who knows anything at all about the players in question.

And before the inevitable comes up - "Well, yeah, but Strome hasn't quit on teams like PLD" == "Well, yeah, but McDavid doesn't play defense the way Zibanejad does". There's no defending it. It's a failure of a comparison.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
You view Dubois as a middle 6 centre?

Just LOL dude. No point continuing this convo with you.
If the Rangers do get Dubois and play him at center, then they'd have an OUTSTANDING 1-2 punch of Zib and Dubois! Kreider and Panarin on the left and Lafreniere and Kakko on the right might give you 2 of the best lines in hockey !!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If the Jets are trading Dubois, would they not look for a center in return?
Ideally, sure, but sometimes those aren't as readily available. Or, at least, not available in the form necessarily desired unless you happen to be fortunate with a hometown kid returning.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Jets are trading Dubois, would they not look for a center in return?

Agreed. They need to have a center in return. Maybe not as good as Dubois but they would need a center coming back.

My Habs offer:
* Dvorak. A solid middle 2C. Not as good as Dubois but he's a solid center on a fair contract
* One of Harris or Kidney. I might include both if we are close on a deal
* Flames 1st (26th)

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Agreed. They need to have a center in return. Maybe not as good as Dubois but they would need a center coming back.

My Habs offer:
* Dvorak. A solid middle 2C. Not as good as Dubois but he's a solid center on a fair contract
* One of Harris or Kidney. I might include both if we are close on a deal
* Flames 1st (26th)
add the panthers 1st and swap Kidney for Barron and you're in the ball park

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
add the panthers 1st and swap Kidney for Barron and you're in the ball park

Nope. We are out then. We will wait for him to become UFA.

Sounds like both the Rangers and Habs are not offering you want you want. You don't have the leverage cause he won't sign with you for more than 2 years and he clearly wants out of Winnipeg.

The difference between Dvorak and Dubois is around Harris/Kidney and the Flames 1st. I don't think that is a bad offer but bookmark it. We can compare if he is traded to the Rangers or someone else.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
You need more luck than we do.
Yeah, because taking a horrible low ball offer really helps us out huh? Put a package together that you'd be okay trading Suzuki for or just sit and pray that PLD only wants to play for MTL despite any amount of money or situation elsewhere.

Reactions: Huffer

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This kid could be a powerhouse game in and game out but he lacks any kind of work ethic needed. Most of the time he looks pretty lazy out there. Tack another cpl of years on his age and he'll no longer be that young kid with mountains of potential that people seem to go crazy for and he'll just be yet another "could have been" NHL player. Glad my team doesn't appear interested in dealing for him.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, because taking a horrible low ball offer really helps us out huh? Put a package together that you'd be okay trading Suzuki for or just sit and pray that PLD only wants to play for MTL despite any amount of money or situation elsewhere.

Not horrible. Good luck. We will find out what PLD intentions are one way or another.

If we had someone that wanted out of Montreal and we only had 2 RFA years of control, you would do the same to us. Reality

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Nope. We are out then. We will wait for him to become UFA.

Sounds like both the Rangers and Habs are not offering you want you want. You don't have the leverage cause he won't sign with you for more than 2 years and he clearly wants out of Winnipeg.

The difference between Dvorak and Dubois is around Harris/Kidney and the Flames 1st. I don't think that is a bad offer but bookmark it. We can compare if he is traded to the Rangers or someone else.

Harris doesn't fill holes that the Jets have, LD is really the last thing we need. Kidney is a bit too unproven right now to be of any significant value.

If that's the best offer, I'd hold on to him this summer and re-visit things next summer.

Reactions: Pongs21

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Harris doesn't fill holes that the Jets have, LD is really the last thing we need. Kidney is a bit too unproven right now to be of any significant value.

If that's the best offer, I'd hold on to him this summer and re-visit things next summer.

The difference between Dvorak and Dubois is not far off from Harris/Kidney and the Flames 1st. Harris, Kidney, and the Flames 1st is not garbage.

Harris played RD in NCAA and with the US at the WJC.

Kidney had one heck of an age age 18 season. Typically what you see for a age 19 prospect. Early yes but he's on a great development track and many Habs fans prefer not to move him. Could burn us if we do. I'm not sure.

You can decline but that's as deep as we go with our offer. And I don't see the Rangers offering much better. Dvorak is a good solution and the Rangers can't offer that. If you trade with the Rangers, you will have to make another trade or overpay a UFA to find a center.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

TBH I'm liking multi of the Rangers offers alot more then the Habs offer being discussed. Rangers & Jets have done multi trades in the past that worked out well for both teams, I hope they do one more with PLD b/c the Rangers have pieces that fit the Jets needs much better then the Habs. Time will tell what happens

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The difference between Dvorak and Dubois is not far off from Harris/Kidney and the Flames 1st. Harris, Kidney, and the Flames 1st is not garbage.

Kidney had one heck of an age age 18 season. Typically what you see for a age 19 prospect. Early yes but he's on a great development track and many Habs fans prefer not to move him. Could burn us if we do. I'm not sure.

You can decline but that's as deep as we go with our offer. And I don't see the Rangers offering much better. Dvorak is a good solution and the Rangers can't offer that. If you trade with the Rangers, you will have to make another trade or overpay a UFA to find a center.

I think Habs fans would be just fine losing Kidney for Dubois. I don't believe it would burn you at all.

I understand Montreal's reluctance to give up more, I just think that value is a little low to make that deal this off-season.

Reactions: Huffer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Habs fans would be just fine losing Kidney for Dubois. I don't believe it would burn you at all.

I understand Montreal's reluctance to give up more, I just think that value is a little low to make that deal this off-season.

It's not just Kidney though. It's Flames 1st and possibly Harris as well. With Dvorak as a center which avoids a huge hole for the Jets up the middle.

Lets say you trade with the Rangers. What are your center plans after Scheifele? Sign a UFA?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

Who's we?

Reactions: TS Quint

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's not just Kidney though. It's Flames 1st and possibly Harris as well. With Dvorak as a center which avoids a huge hole for the Jets up the middle.

Lets say you trade with the Rangers. What are your center plans after Scheifele? Sign a UFA?

Last question first - include Chytil in the trade. The team would be rebuilding anyway. May as well try some younger guys at that spot.

26th overall and a LHD who may have played some right side when he's younger but has no pro experience playing his offside who might do ok there but more likely to play on a side where the Jets are full - I'd rather just wait until next season if that's the case. If the goal is him signing long-term in Montreal, then the same offer would be there from the Habs next season.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad