Rumor: Dubois not signing long term, plans to go to Unrestricted Free Agency in 2024

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I get what you're saying and nobody is saying Chytil has more potential or is a better fit for the line-up right now, but you already know what you're getting with Dvorak and it's not something that moves the needle for them. With Chytil, regardless if they want him included in the package or not, is still younger and although risky, could end up being valuable. It's a chance teams might be willing to take because there's still an unknown. Chytil wouldn't be the biggest piece going back to them and would most likely cost a pick plus another good prospect.

We will see cause I do believe the Jets will try to trade Dubois. Are you a Rangers fan or Jets fan? I'm not sure but this information has just been released... If you are a Rangers fan, are you still wanting to trade for him knowing that he wants to play for the Habs? I'll let you look into the credibility of who reported it.

According to the renowned journalist Murat Ates, who covers the Winnipeg Jets, Dubois really wants to play for the Montreal Canadiens.

Ates, who has excellent contacts within the Jets organization, just said this:

"Pierre-Luc Dubois would really like to play in Montreal, eventually. He doesn't even mind telling members of the organization." - Murat Ates

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We will see cause I do believe the Jets will try to trade Dubois. Are you a Rangers fan or Jets fan? I'm not sure but this information has just been released... If you are a Rangers fan, are you still wanting to trade for him knowing that he wants to play for the Habs? I'll let you look into the credibility of who reported it.

According to the renowned journalist Murat Ates, who covers the Winnipeg Jets, Dubois really wants to play for the Montreal Canadiens.

"Pierre-Luc Dubois would really like to play in Montreal, eventually. He doesn't even mind telling members of the organization." - Murat Ates
I'm a NYR fan. I mentioned it earlier, there's hesitation on my part because of him wanting to test free agency. Rangers can't give up all their cheaper contracts and then lose a 2c in 2 years. Sure, we can find some ways to move some contracts out, but if we're going after Dubois, I would prefer a cheaper solution at a trade deadline. I wouldn't give up 3 prospects for a player with plans to test UFA or plans to go to another team.

If there's a trade between Jets and Montreal, maybe Montreal decides they don't need Wright and either gets a big haul back or goes with the big winger instead.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
BTW, why would the Habs be interested in Dubois in two years if they have Suzuki and Wright? Unless Wright flops, why would you pay a big contract to Dubois unless you plan on sticking him on the wing and Dubois eats his salary potential by doing so?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
BTW, why would the Habs be interested in Dubois in two years if they have Suzuki and Wright? Unless Wright flops, why would you pay a big contract to Dubois unless you plan on sticking him on the wing and Dubois eats his salary potential by doing so?
Dubs can play wing can't he? would be perfect with Suzuki and Caufield.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Was going to post this in the Dubios to MTL thread (CGY 1st, Dvorak, Harris/Kidney), but it's gone so i'll post it here.

PLD is worth a lot more than Trouba. Trouba had only 1 year left and was only willing to go to NY. There's speculation that MTL is PLD's top choice, but given the chance to play in another big market, like NY, whose a contending team now, would probably be open to an extension.

A more accurate example of the Trouba trade in this case would be the 26th (20th 2019), Romanov or Barron (Pionk similar age, better production and went on to put up 45 points the following season) and a 2nd for PLD and a 4th But that's for 1 year.
MTL took a gamble on Dvorak's potential and that flopped. He would still be an interesting piece in a PLD trade given his position, but he doesn't hold the 1st and 2nd round pick value you traded for him.
the 26th pick is an expectable piece as a part of a trade.

Harris is of zero need. We have more than enough LHD and LHD prospects, of which Harris would fall near the bottom in the depth chart. He would need to be replaced with a more significant piece.

Kidney - Not going to lie, had to google him. Okay piece, but doesn't do a hole lot in terms of moving the needle here.

I don't know how highly regarded Pionk was at that time, but I highly doubt he had as much value as Barron/Romanov. He was an undrafted player that signed with the rangers and got traded 3 years later after a career-high of 26 pts. Both Barron and Romanov were 1st round/early 2nd round picks that have been developing very well. Romanov is already a legit top 4 D.

Dvorak didn't flop. He's coming off his best point per game season despite having had a bad start playing under Ducharme. He definitely still has the value of a late 1st.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Look at Roy's team this year and look at their ages; most players in his league are under 20. Do the same for Poehling's 18 y/o year at St Cloud. You don't know what we have in Joshua Roy until he plays a year in Laval. They're players at two different stages of their careers and both do have value, both are young.

This wasn't a proposed straight up trade between them. It was a u-pick of lesser prospects in comparison to a player putting up big numbers and still underachieving at the NHL level (Dubois). Dvorak is the main piece. If the team adding wants a roster player then something like Poehling can leave (Evans also but I think Poehling is more appealing) but if they want a promising young prospect then they can take something like Roy. Both are expendable, to me, if the return is Dubois

So you think they're nowhere near each other in terms of value. Okay, easy decision for WPG then. They hate everything the Habs will offer besides Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov anyway.
I love these conversations.

Dubois is underachieving. So is Suzuki underachieving as well? Habs fans gush about how much better Suzuki is but their numbers are very similar. Cant imagine Habs fans being happy if the likes of Dvorak, Roy or Poehling were being offered for him.

And while Habs fans are not offering the likes of Suzuki, Caulfield or Romanov (understandable as they are young core pieces) nor are you offering Guhle or Barron or your 2023 1st.

Reactions: Viqsi

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I don't know how highly regarded Pionk was at that time, but I highly doubt he had as much value as Barron/Romanov. He was an undrafted player that signed with the rangers and got traded 3 years later after a career-high of 26 pts. Both Barron and Romanov were 1st round/early 2nd round picks that have been developing very well. Romanov is already a legit top 4 D.

Dvorak didn't flop. He's coming off his best point per game season despite having had a bad start playing under Ducharme. He definitely still has the value of a late 1st.
"I don't know anything about the player in question, so I'll appeal to their draft positions several years after the fact as if that's still relevant"

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
i think the issue is why make this a thing now unless you are trying to force your way out again. if he signs a contract and the jets dont trade him everyone should expect the same quitting that he did in colubus to facilitate that trade. this kid continues to act like he wants the superstar status clout that he has never earned, AND he wants the $$$.

i would like the player for his skillset, but i want nothing to do with this entitled person.

He's not under contract for next season. UFA day is just 2 years away. I assume Winnipeg's preference was to get him locked up long-term rather than slow walk him to it. More likely than a soft trade request, this is him not stringing the Jets along with regards to his future intentions.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Dubois is actually a really good winger he was a beast for team canada this summer and him and Suzuki can switch faceoffs depending on the side

i would 100% take Dubois play him center until Wright is ready for a top 6 role and then play him with Suzuki and Caufield he would compliment them really well with hes size and style or if you wanna balance things out you can go

X - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Wright - X

That being said it makes no sense for Jets to just give him away and we dont have much quality assets we can give away

Reactions: HabsAddict

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
How much of a value difference is there between a 60 point C in Dubois and an 85 point LW in Fiala? I understand the Fiala trade didn't come with an extension in place but he went for the 19th overall and Brock Faber who's barely an NHLer......

If anything, Lundkvist+2023 1st alone can get it done for Dubois if that's the trend of the market moving forward this summer. Either way I think WPG is going to yoink a future elite player from NYR simply because we can't play all the kids and need an upgrade. If I'm Chevy I honestly don't want to deal with many other teams outside of the Rangers. Both these front offices must trust each other a good amount at this point. Hopefully it can work out for both teams, but we need to win the Cup with Dubois, Laf, and Blais for it to really be another win-win

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Ok...now the value of the trade is Poehling and a bucket of pucks.

Habs don't need to lift a finger. Just keep him warm and injury free for two years.

OR...very generous Dvorak and the late 1st.

Take ot or leave it. We get him for free in two years.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Vincent Lecavalier, special advisor to hockey operations: This sounds familiar...

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
If Schneider is included, pretty sure Othmann wouldn’t be.

Agreed. Most Rags fans are pushing Nils but if Chevy manages to pry Schneider away I would expect to see something like Chytil/Schneider/2nd or along those lines. As a Jets fan I’d be very happy with that return.

Edit, assuming he agrees to sign long term

Last edited:
Reactions: Thechozen1

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"I don't know anything about the player in question, so I'll appeal to their draft positions several years after the fact as if that's still relevant"

Being drafted in the 1st round pick still matters when a player is so young. It indicates high potential. They are also valued more since team give up a lot to get that player. Its a lot different than undrafted players who are gotten for free.

Kakko has a lot more value than Kurachev despite having similar kind of production. One was a top 2 pick, the other was a mid round pick.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
True,

Thats because The Habs are a week away from not needing him in the least. They can roll Suzuki and Wright for the next decade and be just fine. The wont pay the price to get him when he isn't really an urgent need, especially since he leaked it that he wants to go to UFA soon. That really tanked his value.....
This is why I don’t under all these Hab fans in here throwing Lowball trades out because the Habs don’t need him. #1 Why would the Jets take the lowball? #2 when the Habs have Wright and Suzuki why do they pay PLD as a UFA? Pay him center money and move him to the wing?

I also don’t think him wanting to see what he is worth when he Is closer to when the cap is heading up again. He might not want to be in Winnipeg but this isn’t a Trouba situation where he has limited the number of teams he might consider. He’s a valuable player and many teams will be interested.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Dubs can play wing can't he? would be perfect with Suzuki and Caufield.
Sure, but like I said, there is a premium paid for centres so unless Dubois takes a haircut on his salary, you're probably overpaying him to play the wing position.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Habs don't need to lift a finger. Just keep him warm and injury free for two years.

I think we'd do better than a late 1st and Dvorak at the trade deadline in 2 years from some team needing a rental. We got a 1st+2nd+prospect for Andrew Copp at this year's deadline, I'm sure in 2 years some team looking for a rental can beat a late 1st and Dvorak. You get him for free in the summer and we get more than a bad offer. Win-win.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Pionk was the opposite of highly regarded on here, he was coming off of two pretty lousy seasons.

If anyone wants to look at the initial reaction among Jets fans and Rangers fans from the Trouba trade:

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Pionk was the opposite of highly regarded on here, he was coming off of two pretty lousy seasons.

If anyone wants to look at the initial reaction among Jets fans and Rangers fans from the Trouba trade:

Yeah, HF Forum posters were downright hostile on Pionk. Of course, the more informed opinion comes from hockey professionals like the Jets scouting department and they were very happy to secure Pionk... and it turned out they were correct in their assessment.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, HF Forum posters were downright hostile on Pionk. Of course, the more informed opinion comes from hockey professionals like the Jets scouting department and they were very happy to secure Pionk... and it turned out they were correct in their assessment.

Maybe? I'm personally still not a fan. The point is more that what personal opinions of posters on here feel does not necessarily reflect what teams think.

Reactions: GreenLine

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not a bad approach. It's possible Hughes is saying Dvorak, Hoffman, and Oilers 2nd (take it or leave it).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm a NYR fan. I mentioned it earlier, there's hesitation on my part because of him wanting to test free agency. Rangers can't give up all their cheaper contracts and then lose a 2c in 2 years. Sure, we can find some ways to move some contracts out, but if we're going after Dubois, I would prefer a cheaper solution at a trade deadline. I wouldn't give up 3 prospects for a player with plans to test UFA or plans to go to another team.

If there's a trade between Jets and Montreal, maybe Montreal decides they don't need Wright and either gets a big haul back or goes with the big winger instead.

I do wish you luck with your center search. Dubois or someone else.

Not sure what happens between the Jets, Dubois, and Montreal. I know the Jets don't want to get ripped off but that's on Dubois, not the Habs. Habs will use our leverage if that storyline is accurate. They would do the same to us if the situation was reversed. It's business

I get what you're saying and nobody is saying Chytil has more potential or is a better fit for the line-up right now, but you already know what you're getting with Dvorak and it's not something that moves the needle for them. With Chytil, regardless if they want him included in the package or not, is still younger and although risky, could end up being valuable. It's a chance teams might be willing to take because there's still an unknown. Chytil wouldn't be the biggest piece going back to them and would most likely cost a pick plus another good prospect.

I remember saying last year KK should get a Chytil contract. Then bang... Canes come in with the offer sheet.

It will be interesting to see what Chytil looks from his 25-30 years. We can expect more maturity

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He's not under contract for next season. UFA day is just 2 years away. I assume Winnipeg's preference was to get him locked up long-term rather than slow walk him to it. More likely than a soft trade request, this is him not stringing the Jets along with regards to his future intentions.
i know he doesnt have a contract right now, that is why I was drawing the parrallel to the columbus situation where he signed as an rfa and still didnt get the trade and then visibly quitted on the ice. neither party will repeat that mistake.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, the worst team in the league does not need a bonafide top 6 power forward.

Montreal isn't exactly looking to win in the next two seasons and the Jets will be asking for futures.

The keyword was "now". Maybe in a year or two Montreal would be ready to give Winnipeg the assets they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad