Rumor: Dubois not signing long term, plans to go to Unrestricted Free Agency in 2024

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I would take this in the same vein as all of the offer sheets Marner was going to sign a few years back..

Reactions: Heldig

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Honestly think the Jets dodge a bullet here. No reason to commit long term money to him. He isn't a 1C on a competitive team, and, if they trade him and Scheifele, they could do a retool that keeps them in the playoffs for the duration of the Connor and Morissey deals.
At least he's being honest but must suck for Jets fans especially after the Trouba drama. While Dubois obviously has every right to do this, considering how things ended in Columbus he's really making himself look like a class A douchebag.
Why? He's being honest about his intentions and handling it behind closed doors instead of through the media.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Not trying to take pot shots at anyone's team. But I really think Jet fans should be happy. This guy is a total Douchebag as one other person said here. The BS he pulled in Columbus, he thinks his shit don't stink. He's a huge primadonna

I would get as much as you can for him now. His valve is still high, you can get a nice package for him.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Why? He's being honest about his intentions and handling it behind closed doors instead of through the media.
He brought it on the ice as well. That was not cool. But apart from that, generally speaking loyalty is valued among fans and I'd assume management as well, especially in small markets like Columbus and Winnipeg, and Dubois isn't exactly showing a lot of it.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I feel like WPG is a prime candidate to land Miller if this is true

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Dumb question but does this mean he just plans to accept his qualifying offer for next year?

Yes, which would bring him directly to unrestricted free agency next year.
He has 2 years until he reaches UFA status.

His QO is 6 mil. He could sign it, but then he'd be right back in the same boat the following summer. He could also negotiate a 2 year deal with Winnipeg, if they are willing, or he could go to arbitration.

He made 6.65 mil this year. He might be looking for a raise on that.

Reactions: bernmeister

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
At least he's being honest but must suck for Jets fans especially after the Trouba drama. While Dubois obviously has every right to do this, considering how things ended in Columbus he's really making himself look like a class A douchebag.

In fairness to him though, he was drafted by Columbus and then traded to Winnipeg - not the first choice of players to play in those cities.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He brought it on the ice as well. That was not cool. But apart from that, generally speaking loyalty is valued among fans and I'd assume management as well, especially in small markets like Columbus and Winnipeg, and Dubois isn't exactly showing a lot of it.
Its valued everywhere. If Montreal drafts Wright and just for the scenario does what Dubois did and forces his way after 3 years would it matter any less to Montreal than it did to Columbus or Winnipeg?

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In fairness to him though, he was drafted by Columbus and then traded to Winnipeg - not the first choice of players to play in those cities.
I dunno Laine seems pretty content to play in Columbus. He was actually fine with the city of Winnipeg too, it was how they handled him that caused him to want out. All Laine has indicted thus far is that he wants to be here and to sign and that the numbers will work themselves out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad