Rumor: Dubois not signing long term, plans to go to Unrestricted Free Agency in 2024

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think we'd do better than a late 1st and Dvorak at the trade deadline in 2 years from some team needing a rental. We got a 1st+2nd+prospect for Andrew Copp at this year's deadline, I'm sure in 2 years some team looking for a rental can beat a late 1st and Dvorak. You get him for free in the summer and we get more than a bad offer. Win-win.
Fine by us.

The only wrinkle is that if he's injured, you lose him for nothing. What are the odds on that? If he's going to be a FA, don't expect him to be a warrior and play hurt.

Or worse, he pouts and plays like a pile of baby brown stuff.

You know the old Chinese saying I just made up......a pigeon in hand is tastier more then a duck in the middle of a lake.

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Fine by us.

The only wrinkle is that if he's injured, you lose him for nothing. What are the odds on that? If he's going to be a FA, don't expect him to be a warrior and play hurt.

Or worse, he pouts and plays like a pile of baby brown stuff.

You know the old Chinese saying I just made up......a pigeon in hand is tastier more then a duck in the middle of a lake.

We'll see how it goes. I don't think you take a C-level offer because he might get hurt at some point. Reports locally here isn't that he's asking to be traded, just that he's going to test FA in 2 years. I think the Jets keep him this season and re-evaluate next summer.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, and the Chytil+Lundkvist offer is not shinny either. Dvorak and Harris is equal to that offer and arguablly worth more while I am offering the Flames 1st on top.

You think the Rangers have better pieces but are they even offering them to you? Or do you really think Chytil and Lundkvist is worth more?

FYI.. Dvorak has better development than Chytil at the same age and is only 3.5 years older. I seen someone yesterday say that Dvorak is a cap dump. :laugh:
- Dvorak is meh. If he is the best piece in the deal, it is not worth discussing.
- Harris, I mean hes okay I guess? we have a smaller skill type defenceman in Heinola already, so why is Harris supposed to be attractive to Jets? We already need to get Heinola and Samberg minutes, and they are def both ahead of Harris on the depth chart.

a late 1st in an average draft?

guarantee the NYR offer will be better than that. No offence, but the main piece of a NYR will be more attractive than this package of “meh”.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Those MTL offers have nothing shiny in them.

NYR have way better quality pieces to offer, and the motivation to part with them Vs the nickels and dimes MTL fans are suggesting here.

Dvorak is about as enticing as a nice warm glass of milk and we don’t care about him no matter how much you talk him up.
I would argue that there's one thing that makes Dvorak potentially useful at all to the Jets - when guys like Perfetti and whoever comes in in 2022 are developing, he'd hypothetically serve as a much better mentor than guys like PLD and Scheifele.

Admittedly, tho, that doesn't amount to nearly as much as what Habs fans here seem to be pushing him as.

* * *​
So wait. Your trying to say that 2 actual first rd picks are closer to being 2- 2nd rd picks than 1st rd picks.:popcorn:
Around the turn of the millenium, they would be two second round picks.

* * *​
A whole lot of salt is being thrown at PLD simply because he doesn't want to spend more of his career than he has to in Columbus and/or Winnipeg. It's not like he's held out and refused to report; as far as anyone knows he's been nothing but professional and hard-working while performing the duties called for in his contract.
Wow. I didn't think there was anyone left who hadn't seen his last shift here.

* * *​
If the Habs do not need Dubois because they will have Suzuki/Wright, why even throw bad proposals at the Jets that can be easily beaten by other teams? You're cluttering the thread.

You don't need to poke around here just because PLD can say, "Je m'appelle Pierre-Luc."
This is why I don’t under all these Hab fans in here throwing Lowball trades out because the Habs don’t need him. #1 Why would the Jets take the lowball? #2 when the Habs have Wright and Suzuki why do they pay PLD as a UFA? Pay him center money and move him to the wing?
O6 entitlement complex.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We'll see how it goes. I don't think you take a C-level offer because he might get hurt at some point. Reports locally here isn't that he's asking to be traded, just that he's going to test FA in 2 years. I think the Jets keep him this season and re-evaluate next summer.
...so you're going for the duck.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Dreger talks about a Chytil, Kakko, Schneider and more ask from Chevy...

Edit: Watching it again, the way he says it, he may mean 1 of those 3 + 1st round pick.

I don't think PLD is getting moved this summer based on what Dreger said and that ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
I love these conversations.

Dubois is underachieving. So is Suzuki underachieving as well? Habs fans gush about how much better Suzuki is but their numbers are very similar. Cant imagine Habs fans being happy if the likes of Dvorak, Roy or Poehling were being offered for him.

And while Habs fans are not offering the likes of Suzuki, Caulfield or Romanov (understandable as they are young core pieces) nor are you offering Guhle or Barron or your 2023 1st.
You're jumping at shadows. No one is demeaning your players for the purpose of also bargaining for them.
Any of the guys you mentioned, barring the three, are up for discussion in a trade for Dubois. A 2023 1st would probably be straight up given where Montreal is likely to draft.

Dubois is underachieving because you can see it in his game. He's not just a 60pt player. He's capable of getting around 80 points in a season. That's seriously all that means. Not wanting to sign long term is sign of wanting control over your future and it's not a bad thing. But the reason we aren't discussing a Suzuki trade right now is because he likes the team and the team likes him and they offered him fair money so he has a long term deal and he has a reason to hope for the future success of the team.

WPG could balk at deals for as long as they want but they're losing value if they sign him 2 years just to hold out and trade him as an impending UFA at the 2024 deadline or worse lose him over the summer. If the future is not within those two years then it makes the most sense to sign that short term deal and trade it now. Whether the best package comes from MTL or not, don't demean the players. Dvorak is not nothing and could easily take off as a winger on a team with talent on the top two lines. As it is, he's an excellent centerman and decent on the draw.

Ursus8

May 14, 2009
id say see where he wants to go and see what you can get and just get it over with. I suppose they could hold onto him until trade deadline and prob get a first rounder plus for him especially if they retain salary and that team has another year they can sign or trade him.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We will see cause I do believe the Jets will try to trade Dubois. Are you a Rangers fan or Jets fan? I'm not sure but this information has just been released... If you are a Rangers fan, are you still wanting to trade for him knowing that he wants to play for the Habs? I'll let you look into the credibility of who reported it.

According to the renowned journalist Murat Ates, who covers the Winnipeg Jets, Dubois really wants to play for the Montreal Canadiens.

Ates, who has excellent contacts within the Jets organization, just said this:

"Pierre-Luc Dubois would really like to play in Montreal, eventually. He doesn't even mind telling members of the organization." - Murat Ates

Well I hope he's not gonna be for us what Tavares has been for the Leafs. lol

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You're jumping at shadows. No one is demeaning your players for the purpose of also bargaining for them.
Any of the guys you mentioned, barring the three, are up for discussion in a trade for Dubois. A 2023 1st would probably be straight up given where Montreal is likely to draft.

Dubois is underachieving because you can see it in his game. He's not just a 60pt player. He's capable of getting around 80 points in a season. That's seriously all that means. Not wanting to sign long term is sign of wanting control over your future and it's not a bad thing. But the reason we aren't discussing a Suzuki trade right now is because he likes the team and the team likes him and they offered him fair money so he has a long term deal and he has a reason to hope for the future success of the team.

WPG could balk at deals for as long as they want but they're losing value if they sign him 2 years just to hold out and trade him as an impending UFA at the 2024 deadline or worse lose him over the summer. If the future is not within those two years then it makes the most sense to sign that short term deal and trade it now. Whether the best package comes from MTL or not, don't demean the players. Dvorak is not nothing and could easily take off as a winger on a team with talent on the top two lines. As it is, he's an excellent centerman and decent on the draw.

I said it earlier in the thread - the Jets got more for Copp at this year's trade deadline than the Montreal offers right now (for the most part). If the offer is what these boards are proposing, they'll get more at the 2024 deadline than they would now.

Also, Dreger has reported that the Jets won't trade Dubois this year unless it's a great offer. Dvorak as the main piece doesn't really do that. Sure he could take off as a winger on a good team, but he'd be playing C here as the Jets C depth right now if Dubois goes is Scheifele and Adam Lowry.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I said it earlier in the thread - the Jets got more for Copp at this year's trade deadline than the Montreal offers right now (for the most part). If the offer is what these boards are proposing, they'll get more at the 2024 deadline than they would now.

Also, Dreger has reported that the Jets won't trade Dubois this year unless it's a great offer. Dvorak as the main piece doesn't really do that. Sure he could take off as a winger on a good team, but he'd be playing C here as the Jets C depth right now if Dubois goes is Scheifele and Adam Lowry.
Part of the reason the Jets got more for Copp is because of conditions that were met by the Rangers.

That said, that doesn't mean PLD is worth what some have offered.

The difficulty with dealing with the Habs and Montreal fans won't admit this, is there isn't an asset that the Jets want and Montreal is willing to part with.

Jets would like a Caufiled, 1st overall, Suzuki coming back and those are pretty much the 3 assets Montreal doesn't want to give up.

1st overall is a 1st overall and these don't get moved.

Caufield a young, promising goal scorer.

Suzuki, a very good centre, young, locked up and has shown he plays well in the playoffs.

Now, after that there's Anderson that some hab fans want to move and others don't. I'm sure there are Jets fans who would like him and who wouldn't touch him.
Petry ? Probably not interested in playing with Canada anymore unless the covid restrictions stay relaxed.

Dvorak ? Lead the Habs in faceoff winning percent at 56, which is pretty damn good and was on pace to set career highs had he played a full season and he's signed to a nice contract, but that's still a downgrade from PLD to him, so it depends on the add from the Habs.

Calgary's 1st, 26th overall I think? Does it need to be more, like a Kaiden Guhle ? Hab fans love him and I don't think anyone would be willing to give him up.

There's too much of a gap and I don't think Winnipeg wants 3, or 4 good pieces, like a Dvorak, 26th, prospect (let's say Mysak) and a 2nd in 2023.

Jets keep him, see if his mind changes and deal him next off season is my guess.

Reactions: tbcwpg

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

There's no denying that in terms of age, style, and role, PLD is the absolute perfect fit for us. He even comes pre-packaged with a positive history playing alongside Panarin.

The problem is two fold: 1) We really can't afford to pay him, and 2) If he's leaving in two years to go to Montreal I would imagine that the Rangers have zero interest in coughing up an asset like Kakko. I personally believe that if we move Chytil we'll regret it. Not to mention adding PLD at the expense of Chytil opens up a hole at 3C and we likely wouldn't have the money to fill it.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Kakko + Lundkvist + 1st + Nemeth for PDL?

Lundkvist is buried behind behind Fox, Trouba and Nemeth.

Lundkvist is a very good prospect who won the best defenseman award in SHL.

Kakko hasn't lived up to the hype but he basically gets like 30 secs tops on the second PP unit, not a good spot to be put in if you want to put up points.

A 1st is a 1st.

Nemeth is for cap purposes.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Dubs isn't really a piece Montreal needs right now at this moment. If in two years Dubs goes to UFA and is still interested in going to Montreal sure but it also depends on if the Habs even need Dubs at that point depending if/or Wright is drafted and can play at a top 6 center in the NHL. If Dubs wants to still be a Hab and play wing thats another story but he will be getting less money per year.

It really makes no sense for the Habs to give away assets when they don't even have the cap space and they are rebuilding at this point. In two years a ton of cap space is freed up and the Habs could need something else other then a winger or a center and might need a D or a goalie.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, HF Forum posters were downright hostile on Pionk. Of course, the more informed opinion comes from hockey professionals like the Jets scouting department and they were very happy to secure Pionk... and it turned out they were correct in their assessment.
I wasn't one of those. I said that Pionk will be a very good top 4 defenseman and I wish him the best, but it won't happen with the Rangers.

And I was right.

It was a win-win trade IMO. Even though Trouba is overpaid he's a very good 2nd pairing D who brings physicality while putting up a pretty good amount of points.

The Rangers got exactly what they needed. A vet (look at how young our D corps is) who can play physical.

You got a young, very promising RD who you could lock down long term.

Reactions: buggs and Guffman

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Kakko + Lundkvist + 1st + Nemeth for PDL?

Lundkvist is buried behind behind Fox, Trouba and Nemeth.

Lundkvist is a very good prospect who won the best defenseman award in SHL.

Kakko hasn't lived up to the hype but he basically gets like 30 secs tops on the second PP unit, not a good spot to be put in if you want to put up points.

A 1st is a 1st.

Nemeth is for cap purposes.
Without Chytil and taking on Nemeth (who the Jets have no use for) I’d insist on Garand as part of the package and I’d add something small to balance the value and get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00