Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh: Christ. Head scout is NOT a ceremonial title.

I'd bet on there either being a new guy for another A. GM or a new Head scout, if Hunter stays. Or 2 new hires if he goes.

It's just worked in to the title man. He is hands on like that and was always even as GM of his own team. He would be reading the reports with and without the title and no head scout would make a decision for him. He ain't that kinda guy trust me.

Don't they even have a Lead NA and Euro scout on this team? When you have a lot of money in an organization it gets really bloated.

I would rather run like NSH or Ottawa.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It's just worked in to the title man. He is hands on like that and was always even as GM of his own team. He would be reading the reports with and without the title and no head scout would make a decision for him. He ain't that kinda guy trust me.
Well you seem informed on who Hunter is, is there links out there to read up on Hunter's day to day that you could send me

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well you seem informed on who Hunter is, is there links out there to read up on Hunter's day to day that you could send me

Do we have a head NA and EU scout? If so you understand how simple his job becomes to where he goes hands on for immediate needs.

I am just saying he isn't micromanaging our scouts. They have a heirarchy.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Do we have a head NA and EU scout? If so you understand how simple his job becomes to where he goes hands on for immediate needs.

I am just saying he isn't micromanaging our scouts. They have a heirarchy.
Well I definitely agree that it's delegated, just way I see the position is that I think it's likely he doesn't only read scouting reports as he wants to trust his own opinion on the kids he want, maybe spends 50-60 days on the road checking out players that his scouts say 'oh you gotta check this kid out' instead of being the scout actively looking for diamonds in the rough year-round. And even half that time likely is too much for Hunter to run the Marlies over someone who's gonna do just as good a job giving his full attention to the Marlies if we hire a new AHL GM for them.

Also we actually have a USA head scout, an East head scout, West head scout, and then European head scout (Vuori) but I just learned that. Thought it'd be someone for NA and Vuori like you thought.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't know if i missed it but has anyone heard if Babcock commented on KD being named GM and if he has if he mentioned anything about LL/Hunter sticking around ?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I don't know if i missed it but has anyone heard if Babcock commented on KD being named GM and if he has if he mentioned anything about LL/Hunter sticking around ?
Basically just said he knew it would be either Dubas or Hunter getting the job, and he hopes that LL/Hunter stick around because they all have a good thing going.

Reactions: hotpaws

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I dont know where else to put this but.. Wheres Mark Hunter now? its been like 5 days, he must of quit and moved on.. or had interviews for other GM jobs right??

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dubas was named general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday. His success with the Marlies is among the reasons why president and alternate governor Brendan Shanahan decided to promote the 32-year-old. “I think going forward it’ll be good for the young minds in this organization,” said Sparks, who was the AHL’s best goalie this season, posting a .936 save percentage in 43 games. “Everything about Kyle Dubas stands out to me in comparison to your typical hockey mind. He’s different and that’s what people need. People need a difference. People need somebody who’s willing to make a difference. And he makes a difference for each guy in the room with the way he treats us and the way he sees us as humans, who have emotions and families and lives outside of hockey and extenuating circumstances.”

I’d say 90% of what he sends has nothing to do with hockey,” said Keefe. “When you’re in hockey there’s so much that you know and you can relate to within the game, but I think you can kind of get maxed out a little bit, because I think, for the most part, everybody knows the same things and does the same things. It’s about what you can glean from other sports or business or education or what have you. He’s constantly educating himself, he’s constantly stretching himself to get an edge. Here’s a guy that I believe is brilliant and very successful and he doesn’t sit for a second and say he knows it all. He’s constantly trying to learn more and more.”

While Dubas and Keefe are tight, there are questions about how Dubas will get along with Leafs coach Mike Babcock. And yet the pair can certainly bond over their insatiable appetite for hockey.
"There’s no off switch," Dubas said of Babcock. "When he wakes up at five in the morning, he's on the whole day. His passion for hockey is unrelenting, his passion to try to make the Maple Leafs into the best franchise it can be is unrelenting. That’s what excites me most. I call it a sickness, like, you have it for hockey and it takes over every part of your day."
"Mike loves to be energized by ideas," Shanahan noted, "and loves to be challenged and loves to challenge you. There are a lot of people outside our organization that sort of make very simple assessments of who each person is and what they must believe in and I think they underestimate how much back and forth our management team does have. I've seen Mike and Kyle work well together in the past and throw ideas back and forth. They're both people with strong opinions and both have a lot of respect for each other. I talked to Mike and Mike's very happy with the decision and looking forward to working with Kyle."
Makes sense to me that Dubas and Babcock would get along for that reason.

I think shanahan was talking about HF in the bolded :laugh:

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-will-take-leafs-on-never-ending-journey-of-learning-1.1083496

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

On the day Lou Lamoriello was named president of hockey operations for the New York Islanders, he took time to pay the ultimate compliment to his successor with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Asked if Kyle Dubas, 32, was ready to handle the rigors and spotlight of being the Maple Leafs general manager in the fishbowl that is Toronto, Lamoriello voiced his faith in the young prodigy he mentored for the past three years.

"Yes, definitely," Lamoriello said during a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. "I think [the Toronto organization] ought to let him do his job and go forward."

Lamoriello, 75, said he chatted with Dubas as recently as Monday and offered to provide advice any time he needs.

"I've spoken to him multiple times in the past week," Lamoriello said. "And I hope that he would feel comfortable if there's a question that needed to be answered or there's something I can help him with, he'll make that private call. No one will ever know he made it and no one will ever know from me he made it."

"That's the type of relationship I think we have and I feel very comfortable saying that."

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! I also like this quote a lot:

"My relationship with Kyle Dubas, both professionally and personally, is exceptional," Lamoriello said.

So Lou has faith in Dubas and has a great relationship with him. This say a lot IMO and should help calm people down who are upset that Dubas got the job. Lou doesn't strike me as the type to just say stuff like that without meaning it either.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's awesome, thanks for sharing! I also like this quote a lot:

"My relationship with Kyle Dubas, both professionally and personally, is exceptional," Lamoriello said.

So Lou has faith in Dubas and has a great relationship with him. This say a lot IMO and should help calm people down who are upset that Dubas got the job. Lou doesn't strike me as the type to just say stuff like that without meaning it either.
Not that I don't believe this to be true but really, would anyone expect a pro like Lou to say anything different?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not that I don't believe this to be true but really, would anyone expect a pro like Lou to say anything different?

If he wanted to just spout the "standards" I think he would have said something like "Kyle and I have always had a good relationship", using the word "exceptional" is something a whole lot more. It's not just that one word either, some of those other quotes have the ring of sincerity to them.

As always, JMHO.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think that blurb about the private call would be there unless he actually meant it.

Yes and that was followed by "That's the type of relationship I think we have and I feel very comfortable saying that.".

Obviously none of us can way with certainty how sincere Lou was being but he sounded very sincere to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad