Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
no but i think the argument was that Eakins was regarded in being the next big thing, until he wasn't
Now. i don't think that's the case, but it shouldn't be seen as a great loss if he goes. if he succeeds, good for him, if not, well,we dodged a bullet.
i know what his argument is. The problem is it's a bit dumb and pointless. I'd much rather have a discussion about the two coaches for their own merits and styles and don't feel the need to be reminded that some fans were wrong about Eakins once when they were hopeful about him for entirely different reasons. I know Leafs fans have been wrong before, but it literally adds nothing of value.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i know what his argument is. The problem is it's a bit dumb and pointless. I'd much rather have a discussion about the two coaches for their own merits and styles and don't feel the need to be reminded that some fans were wrong about Eakins once when they were hopeful about him for entirely different reasons. I know Leafs fans have been wrong before, but it literally adds nothing of value.

which is fair. (like both sides is fair). but, and I think in light of the whole handwringing of "oh my god, Hunter is gone what are we gonna dooo." (and this is not the first time people have suggested doing things just so we don't lose Keefe) i think it's understandable that for the majority of people the reaction is "who cares". If he moves and he's good - well then you know what, good for Keefe, and good for us for giving him what to develop his skills, thus attracting new coaches for assistants + marlies coach. if he sucks, good for us because we don't have to deal with it.

now I did catch your argument, which is interesting, and I would have to say really, that it could have some merit but I am not going to dismiss the fact that the team is poor defensively, and I don't think that's all because of the systems (i think that's a very lazy argument, and something that tends to run rampant sometimes here). it would be interesting to see with a new defensive coach would do with the 5 on 5 play. You did say our "PK isn't that good."(I think that was you, sorry in advance if it wasn't) well you're rather harsh because it was top ten last year, and it only fell out of top ten in the last week (to 11th overall), which is pretty good for a young team in my opinion.

I would like to see more buy in from the players before i lay it down on Smiths feet. (but i'm not attached to him either so if Dubas did that to save him (and get him NHL experience that's fine with me too). if Keefe for argument's say is the successor of the team i could see it more like

1 more year as Marlies coach
1 year as Leafs Assistant Coach
assess the team and see if it's time to move on from Babcock vs. who is available/other options.
Keefe/whomever is in charge.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Random thought of the day:

Not saying we would, or that Tavares would either, but is there technically anything that would stop Dubas from say signing Tavares at max cap hit for 1 year. This upcoming one. Then extending him for 8 years a week later at a savings. Just curiousity really, because I'm not aware of any rule that'd stop it from happening.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Not saying we would, or that Tavares would either, but is there technically anything that would stop Dubas from say signing Tavares at max cap hit for 1 year. This upcoming one. Then extending him for 8 years a week later at a savings. lol

There is something about not being able to extend until January for certain criteria / reason.

However, taking your random thought, perhaps it might work if they traded for him before July 1st. and extended him max for next year, and then maybe they could extend him July 1st.?

I'm sure someone here will get the answers to those questions.

Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

From section 50.5(f) of the CBA:
  • A player can only sign an extension in the final year of their contract
  • For players on a one-year contract, they need to wait until January 1
  • There are limits to how much a contract extension can be worth, to prevent cap circumvention

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Not saying we would, or that Tavares would either, but is there technically anything that would stop Dubas from say signing Tavares at max cap hit for 1 year. This upcoming one. Then extending him for 8 years a week later at a savings. lol
It's been beaten to death. No player in JT's position would sign a one-year deal just to help the team out. Players are selfish and should put themselves first. What happens in your situation if before the 8 weeks comes up and JT suffers a major injury while training and can't play anymore? He's stuck with the $12-14 million one-year contract. See?

It'll never happen, even though it would be very advantageous for the Maple Leafs. JT is staying on the Island. We have Matthews, Kadri, and Nylander. We're good.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Nothing to stop him from doing it, technically, no.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's been beaten to death. No player in JT's position would sign a one-year deal just to help the team out. Players are selfish and should put themselves first. What happens in your situation if before the 8 weeks comes up and JT suffers a major injury while training and can't play anymore? He's stuck with the $12-14 million one-year contract. See?

It'll never happen, even though it would be very advantageous for the Maple Leafs. JT is staying on the Island. We have Matthews, Kadri, and Nylander. We're good.

I said a week later fwiw, hence why injury wasn't a factor I was considering.

Also, I clearly stated myself in the first sentence that I'm not convinced either side would entertain it:
a) because I question if we would be in on Tavares
b) because I have no idea where Tavares might wanna go
c) because people don't typically sign 1 year deals (although, my scenario is anything but typical)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
See above:

• There are limits to how much a contract extension can be worth, to prevent cap circumvention

Ok perhaps the week later makes it not possible but let's say 3 months later.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
See above:

Thanks. Okay, was just something I thought was interesting. I thought there might be something...

Kills the idea in the water (even if we were going to do it), because then Tavares has to play games and take risk before he gets his payday. So that'd never happen.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm thinking you didn't read my entire post...

Also, I clearly stated myself in the first sentence that I'm not convinced either side would entertain it:
a) because I question if we would be in on Tavares
b) because I have no idea where Tavares might wanna go
c) because people don't typically sign 1 year deals (although, my scenario is anything but typical)
Well, just to answer it blunty. No, there is nothing stopping Dubas. Lets see how he puts his hands on this team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well, just to answer it blunty. No, there is nothing stopping Dubas. Lets see how he puts his hands on this team.

All good. I mean as it turns out, you can't sign til after Jan 1, which nixes the whole idea.

I'd already considered the idea he could get injured while waiting for the extension as reason why he'd never entertain it, which is why my original scenario had the extension coming only a week later.

I kinda assumed the NHL thought of this...

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
All good. I mean as it turns out, you can't sign til after Jan 1, which nixes the whole idea.

I'd already considered the idea he could get injured while waiting for the extension as reason why he'd never entertain it, which is why my original scenario had the extension coming only a week later.

I kinda assumed the NHL thought of this...
Yeah, it's always exciting when a Toronto boy comes to free agency. Especially one of JT's calibre. I can definitely see us making an offer, just like we did for Stammer. With all the capologists we have at our helm they will run through all of the scenarios to see if they can make it work with our core.

Reactions: Sypher04

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Not sure if this was brought up yet or not, but there is a great article in the Athletic about Dubas (Built in the Soo: The Kyle Dubas story) and there is a quote from Dubas at a conference in 2015 that stood out to me:

“If your president, general manager, coach, scouts — everybody buys into using what you can gain from statistics and analytics, you’re going to have a lot more success than if you have one person on your staff — alone — saying ‘This is important’ and trying to gather buy-in from everybody else,” Dubas explained at Sloan.

To me, Hunter and Lou are perfect examples of those that wouldn't be apt to buy into the philosophy (as seen in the rumors with DeBrincat, Gourde, Schmidt)... makes even more sense to me as why Hunter would be out of here

Definitely worth the read though, great material on the new GM

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like it. We started with a plan 3 years ago. Shanny picked him as the gm then, got him mentor ship in lou and now gave him the reigns. This is exactly what is supposed to happen

Honestly I would have wanted lou negotiating the big 3 contracts, but my understanding is pridham is the numbers guy. I hope that works out, but that is all I am nervous of. I get that lou wants to groom his kid now and it makes sense. I just don’t see why we let him go and work for the isles before free agency. It should have been July 15. They will know exactly what we will offer JT. But then again if his kid is the AGM I’m sure they talk anyway......

The funniest part of this thread is the ones who were the biggest draft and development tankers are the ones who didn’t want Dubas hired.

Isn’t that exactly what this is? Find a young talent, draft him into the organization, mentor with hall of gamers and give him the reigns??

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

I actually think if youre an elite player you should take 1 year deals since the cap is going up constantly and you want to get your entire value.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not sure if this was brought up yet or not, but there is a great article in the Athletic about Dubas (Built in the Soo: The Kyle Dubas story) and there is a quote from Dubas at a conference in 2015 that stood out to me:

“If your president, general manager, coach, scouts — everybody buys into using what you can gain from statistics and analytics, you’re going to have a lot more success than if you have one person on your staff — alone — saying ‘This is important’ and trying to gather buy-in from everybody else,” Dubas explained at Sloan.

To me, Hunter and Lou are perfect examples of those that wouldn't be apt to buy into the philosophy (as seen in the rumors with DeBrincat, Gourde, Schmidt)... makes even more sense to me as why Hunter would be out of here

Definitely worth the read though, great material on the new GM

That was one of the best articles I think I’ve read on the Athletic so far.

Lots of really interesting titbits throughout, one paragraph the really caught my attention was the part about how Dubas noted that elite sports organizations will pay attention to every single minor detail. Mentioning that UK soccer club that even focusses on how the grass of its pitch should be cut. That’s the kind of thinking I want with the Leafs - making sure every single part of the team and support staff is focussed on.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Lots of really interesting titbits throughout, one paragraph the really caught my attention was the part about how Dubas noted that elite sports organizations will pay attention to every single minor detail. Mentioning that UK soccer club that even focusses on how the grass of its pitch should be cut. That’s the kind of thinking I want with the Leafs - making sure every single part of the team and support staff is focussed on.
Wonder if he'll be interested in our ice quality.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I actually think if youre an elite player you should take 1 year deals since the cap is going up constantly and you want to get your entire value.
Too much risk but I know what you're saying. The NHLPA wouldn't be happy with JT if he did that. On top with the uncertainty regarding CBA negotiations, you don't want to mess yourself up. Players rather have a sense of security going forward in an environment which is always changing. No one knows what the future holds, no one knows if a lockout is coming so it's in said player's interest (UFA) to get the most money & term they can secure for themselves and their family.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Hopefully that means no more garbage ice. I've never understood how a team, one of the richest in the League, in Canada no less, has managed to have such choppy ice just seemingly all the time. It's brutal.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017

Couldn't agree more! Really looking forward to what lies ahead for this franchise and I really hope Dubas can get prove the doubters wrong, which I envision he will.

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I like it. We started with a plan 3 years ago. Shanny picked him as the gm then, got him mentor ship in lou and now gave him the reigns. This is exactly what is supposed to happen

Honestly I would have wanted lou negotiating the big 3 contracts, but my understanding is pridham is the numbers guy. I hope that works out, but that is all I am nervous of. I get that lou wants to groom his kid now and it makes sense. I just don’t see why we let him go and work for the isles before free agency. It should have been July 15. They will know exactly what we will offer JT. But then again if his kid is the AGM I’m sure they talk anyway......

The funniest part of this thread is the ones who were the biggest draft and development tankers are the ones who didn’t want Dubas hired.

Isn’t that exactly what this is? Find a young talent, draft him into the organization, mentor with hall of gamers and give him the reigns??

I think we all picture the GM as the guy walking into negotiations or handling these phone calls personally, but I'm not honestly sure that's the reality of how things work. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if most of the communication with the player agent doesn't happen through the AGMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad