Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I’ve learned from the main board that leafs are done now. The Winter Hobbit has convinced me anybody that leaves the leafs organization is the next coming of hockey god and anyone who stays with the leafs will fail miserably. I do find the trolls commitment astonishing.
I really wish I could see what he said when the Leafs hired Lou. It was probably a bunch of nonsense that the Leafs were stuck in the past and going back to their old ways etc.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I really wish I could see what he said when the Leafs hired Lou. It was probably a bunch of nonsense that the Leafs were stuck in the past and going back to their old ways etc.

Well, when we just announced Dubas, he went on a rant about analytics and how they were pretty useless, and that if the NHL was now trending towards the old school eye test more LMAO

Anyone with a brain knows the NHL was behind with regards to analytics, and that it is a blend of that, plus sport science, scouting, and old school eye test.

But of course he would say these things because we had older executives leave, the guy is a huge troll with exactly nothing important to say ever.

Hell if we choose Lou, TWS would have went on about how important analytics were and that we are behind in our thinking, and that the NHL was trending towards analytics.

The man is a piece of work lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can I ask why?

DJ Smith gets a lot of praise. He was voted as the top assistant coach who should be a head coach by players around the league
I have no doubt that Smith is a smart guy, but I don't see his system as a fit for the Leafs to be honest. It's not so bad that I think he has to go, but it's enough that I think Keefe would do a better job. The lack of forward support, the poor transition system that relies way too heavily on the stretch pass, and the general lackadaisical attitude defensively are all things I'd like to see done away with that I attribute to Smith's system. His PK work isn't great either

I know there's the whole idea that the Leafs players are dumb and bad defensively, but I don't think that would be the case with a sound defensive system with full buy in, similar to Vegas. Smith doesn't even come close to that honestly

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
people cried like babies on here when we hired RC instead of Eakins and then *****ed and moaned when he went to the Oilers , so yea he was viewed the same way some view Keefe is now
People like you cry like babies over anything positive to the organization.
Keefe is much different then Eakins, so yea your last sentence doesnt hold much validity now

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People like you cry like babies over anything positive to the organization.
Keefe is much different then Eakins, so yea your last sentence doesnt hold much validity now
naw , it's just people like you who can't form an original thought and just waive the pom poms who believe everyone else is always crying because they don't cheer the teams every move

also Keefe may or may not be different than Eakins but as of right now they're both just successful coach's on stacked minor league teams

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dont mind him. Its part of his motive to whine about anything good for the team.
Anybody that actually watches the AHL, knows Keefe is much different then Eakins.
lol of course they're different now that we know Eakins was a failure but he was viewed just as highly by this fan base when he coached the Marlies

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
lol of course they're different now that we know Eakins was a failure but he was viewed just as highly by this fan base when he coached the Marlies
using the way a person is viewed by the fanbase as an evaluation of their ability/potential is not worthwhile in the slightest though

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
considering the discussion is exactly about how some in the fan base view Keefe then it's totally worthwhile
no, the discussion is the merits of Keefe as an assistant coach versus the merits of Smith. You're the one who wanted to bring the fanbase into it in order to discredit Keefe

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
no, the discussion is the merits of Keefe as an assistant coach versus the merits of Smith. You're the one who wanted to bring the fanbase into it in order to discredit Keefe
didn't discredit Keefe at all , just putting the love affair some people have with him into perspective

but nice of you to shift the goalposts

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Eakins played a swarm defense system that no other coach would ever think about playing, that's a little different than Keefe's fairly standard puck possession system. Eakins was never going to be more than a 1-season wonder like Boucher even if his ideas worked out, the league would have adapted and he didn't really bring much else to the table.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
didn't discredit Keefe at all , just putting the love affair some people have with him into perspective

but nice of you to shift the goalposts
it's not moving the goalposts lol. You just went off the topic of Keefe vs Smith to bring up how one time some Leafs fans were wrong about Eakins. That doesn't really do anything to address the central topic. You're just trying to convey that since some fans were once interested in Eakins, it's wrong for different fans to be interested in Keefe and pretend that it's somehow pertinent to the discussion of his actual merits and coaching style

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Question: HAVE YOU TALKED VERY MUCH WITH COACH MIKE BABCOCK SINCE YOUR ELEVATION TO GM? PEOPLE ARE WONDERING HOW THAT DYNAMIC WILL WORK.

Kyle Dubas:
“We talk every morning at the same time.”

Q:
AT 5:30 A.M.? THAT’S WHEN HIS WORK DAY SOMETIMES STARTS.

KD:
“(Laughing) No, around 8 or 8:30 for about half an hour and then multiple times later in the day, whether it’s talking, texting or going over different ideas and different things we’re considering doing."

“So far it has been great. He’s open to anything you have to say — not just me, anybody — and he’s also spit-balling his ideas back. So far, it’s been great and I don’t expect it will be anything but that.”

Q:
YOUR YOUTH HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT ENDLESSLY, BUT DID OTHER GMS, ESPECIALLY OLDER ONES, EXTEND YOU CONGRATULATIONS AND A WELCOME?

KD:
“I’ve almost talked to everybody now. There weren’t any GMs in Regina, but it’s been mostly on the phone, just touching base with me and me reaching back out to them. It’s a really good group: I’m obviously the junior member. but they’ve been gracious with their time."

“You’re trying to learn the ropes and go about it right. If you try and bull rush your way through, you probably don’t have great success. It’s a great opportunity for me to learn as well.”
Q: WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR YOU AND BRANDON TO BE TAKING THE NEXT STEP WITH THIS TEAM TOGETHER, HAVING STARTED THE REBUILDING JOB AT THE SAME TIME?

KD:
“We’ve worked very closely the past four years. We share an office at MasterCard Centre. It wasn’t really wasn’t designed that way, but we’ve come to enjoy the interaction with each another, bouncing things back and forth. I’ve gained such a huge deal of respect for him, his knowledge of the league, of players. He has obviously great expertise when it comes to the salary cap and contracts and that’s a very important element to any team in this era."

“If this were Brendan Shanahan’s decision to move me into this chair, it was very simple to me that Brandon would be elevated. I knew that right from the get-go it would be one of my first orders of business. His influence on me will remain the same, which is very, very high and I really value everything he brings.”

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
using the way a person is viewed by the fanbase as an evaluation of their ability/potential is not worthwhile in the slightest though

no but i think the argument was that Eakins was regarded in being the next big thing, until he wasn't
Now. i don't think that's the case, but it shouldn't be seen as a great loss if he goes. if he succeeds, good for him, if not, well,we dodged a bullet.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
people cried like babies on here when we hired RC instead of Eakins and then *****ed and moaned when he went to the Oilers , so yea he was viewed the same way some view Keefe is now

To be fair, that poster didn't suggest make Keefe the head-coach, like the jump Eakins had when he made it to the NHL.

Becoming an assistant to Babcock might be another step in the grooming process.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
To be fair, that poster didn't suggest make Keefe the head-coach, like the jump Eakins had when he made it to the NHL.

Becoming an assistant to Babcock might be another step in the grooming process.

that's probably the plan eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->