Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The Johansen-Jones trade wasn't a bad trade it's helped both teams. How is a trade that helped both teams viewed as a sideways move? Look at the D on Nashville and they most likely got the most value they could have out of Jones.
Didn't say it was a bad trade. I said it was not the type of trade we could expect from Dubas, in my opinion.

A sideways trade means a trade where you get a similar piece to what you send, but that might fit your team better.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Didn't say it was a bad trade. I said it was not the type of trade we could expect from Dubas, in my opinion.

A sideways trade means a trade where you get a similar piece to what you send, but that might fit your team better.
dubas seems to be the type to look for young, projectable players that have been overlooked by their own organizations for some reason or another, and try to take advantage of holes he sees in other teams developement etc. i see him making alot of these style trades as opposed to the traditional trades for established vets(not that he wont do that to)

last year lou went after hamonic, i expect dubas to maybe look at somebody like pulock there instead for example

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's very likely what will happen but don't under estimate a new GM wanting to make a bit of noise.

The big advantage we have with Dubas over hiring an outsider is that he knows every single one of the young players and most of the actual NHLers. He won't assume their character traits or deficiencies, which is a big relief.

Some players like Holl and Sparks will very likely get a lot more leash and a bigger chance to prove themselves.

not if babcock has anything to do with it

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Realistically, Dubas is most likely a puppet. Shanny the politician putting young Dubas in place, while he pulls the strings. Chelios was 100% right, when he stated that Shanny was nothing but a politician. He sure knows how to play the game.

Well if being ''politician'' gets rid of Dion and Fat Phil, lands us Marner, Nylander, Matthews plus Babcock not to mention one of the most forward thinking YOUNg gm minds in the game plus a record setting season. I'd vote for him

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I listened to Dubas give a non answer to a reporter when he asked him about his policy on the facial hair thing, he side stepped it pretty smoothly. I understand the reasoning behind it to make everyone uniform, classy, professional etc etc but I'd prefer if players can express their appearance, there's nothing wrong with a beard or goatee! I hope Dubas scraps that policy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How can there be so many hacks in the Toronto sports media? Journalism in this city should be far better than the trash Simmons, Feschuk, and other tools post on various content. I have hardly seen these type of reporters right anything insightful or of valid use to a learning fan(in terms of the growing dependency on analytics). You can find more insightful posts on a lot of threads on Hfboards, as opposed to garbage clickbait found on the Star. I get that they have been told to write a certain manner, but these guys go an extra level in portraying leaf players in a negative light. They have become less prominent since Shanny came in but the media in this city like to overexaggerate little issues like Babcock-Matthews, Dubas-Hunter, etc. Hopefully, future success will drive these guys out of their negative state of mind and they will give more balanced articles with greater insight than the current stuff they write.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Interesting to see the timing of this appointment. The Leafs are entering an inflection point in their development with so many core contracts up for renewal soon and they have their long term GM at the helm to sign all of them. Truly will be Dubas' era.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Also it's tough to see Babcock being painted as a problematic presence in the organization. He's a peculiar guy and probably hard on the troops but this narrative is a recycling of the age old power plays in management in Leaf Land.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How can there be so many hacks in the Toronto sports media? Journalism in this city should be far better than the trash Simmons, Feschuk, and other tools post on various content. I have hardly seen these type of reporters right anything insightful or of valid use to a learning fan(in terms of the growing dependency on analytics). You can find more insightful posts on a lot of threads on Hfboards, as opposed to garbage clickbait found on the Star. I get that they have been told to write a certain manner, but these guys go an extra level in portraying leaf players in a negative light. They have become less prominent since Shanny came in but the media in this city like to overexaggerate little issues like Babcock-Matthews, Dubas-Hunter, etc. Hopefully, future success will drive these guys out of their negative state of mind and they will give more balanced articles with greater insight than the current stuff they write.

It's not so many hacks. It's the culture around here. They sell because we buy. If Canadians just stood up for anything really (lol) and took action calling out these writers it'd stop. That or ignore them, and that goes for Canadians and politics etc as well. To spin this more positively, we are good fighters when called to arms or tasked with complex tasks. Outside that we are media sponges and anti reactive generally speaking.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Dubas family matriarch exudes pride
Known affectionately as Gramma Dubie, Marietta Dubas is her 32-year-old grandson’s trusted confidant, No. 1 fan, biggest supporter and most honest critic.

“I’ll continue to give him some tips,” Marietta said on Saturday when reached at her Sault Ste. Marie home.

Asked how she feels about Kyle’s ascension from assistant GM to the top job, Marietta answered quickly.

“I’m ecstatic for him. I’m a very, very proud grandma,” the 82-year-old said on Saturday. “He’s worked so hard to get to where he is today and he deserves this.”

She also spoke of the pride the entire Dubas family feels. The group includes Kyle’s father, Mark, and his wife Carol, and Kyle’s mother Paula, and her husband, Brad Hiller.

“The whole family is thrilled,” Marietta added. “We’re all very happy.”

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

If you can pull it, the athletic is well worth the subscription to not have to read these bums.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
eh, not really.
you get most of the topics here anyway.
None of the topics or posts here get anywhere close to the detail that they get to in their articles. If people are looking for something that isn't TSN or sportsnet, that's the first place I'd direct them to.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

The good ones all went to the Athletic. The only newspaper guys left are cynical old men (Simmons) or hot take artists (Feschuck)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anybody of interest to replace Dubas' current role? Considering everyone has sources on the board of directors and within the team, I'm sure someone is bound to have a name to look for.

I floated the current SSM GM Kyle Raftis name out there. Seems tacky to go hire someone from the SSM again but he has done well in succeeding Dubas' there so perhaps the vision would be similar. (I know SSM got upset despite dominating the regular season)

Steve Staois might be an interesting name. He's the President and GM of the Hamilton team that upset the SSM. He was part of the Leafs org. for a bit in a development role, so perhaps taking over the Marlies would be something he'd be interested in. I'm not sure he'd leave for that kind of position though. Interesting enough, his current assistant GM in Hamilton was also part of the Leafs (I can't remember his name...)

One more name would be Darren Keily GM of the Frontenacs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anybody of interest to replace Dubas' current role? Considering everyone has sources on the board of directors and within the team, I'm sure someone is bound to have a name to look for.

I floated the current SSM GM Kyle Raftis name out there. Seems tacky to go hire someone from the SSM again but he has done well in succeeding Dubas' there so perhaps the vision would be similar. (I know SSM got upset despite dominating the regular season)

Steve Staois might be an interesting name. He's the President and GM of the Hamilton team that upset the SSM. He was part of the Leafs org. for a bit in a development role, so perhaps taking over the Marlies would be something he'd be interested in. I'm not sure he'd leave for that kind of position though. Interesting enough, his current assistant GM in Hamilton was also part of the Leafs. His name escapes me but he's fairly young as well.

One more name would be Darren Keily GM of the Frontenacs.

Wouldn't Hunter become full AGM?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Dubas has been proving people wrong since he started in the Soo. Very forward thinker, and knows how to change a culture around an organization and follow a plan.. nice to see him get the job. As a Wings fan its hard to cheer for the Leafs but I will be pulling for them a little now.

On a side note.. when Dubas went away to college , there was a garage sale at his house. My father and I ended up purchasing a large sign from the Soo Greyhounds locker room that hung about the player stalls, signed by the team. We got it for $20.. we always joked that we hoped he did better in trades than garage sales... I think he has improved in the wheeling and dealing department.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wouldn't Hunter become full AGM?

Hunter is already an AGM. The difference here is that Hunter is a AGM as a scout. He won't handle the Marlies because he wouldn't be able to do his job properly.

Now to think of it though, I could see Pridham getting a bit of a promotion and taking over Dubas' current role handling the Marlies and their day to day.

Reactions: iSophagus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure if this was posted but this was Dubas in 2015 on "safe players" and simplicity bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad