News: Dubas open to trading top prospects

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed. Time to put the " I wanna keep my top prospects" and pull the trigger. When the Kings traded Simmonds and Schenn for Richards it really hurt - but we got 2 cups. The Leafs should fill any necessary need and make some legitimate cup runs for the next few years.
Mike Richards had 9 years left on his contract when the Kings acquired him. Jeff Carter had 11. If the Maple Leafs can get 5+ years of a core player they'll trade any prospect you can think of. But it'll be a real creative deal that gets us that kind of cap space.

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't follow leaf prospects. Are their top prospects actual top prospects or just top in the Leaf's system. Way different value depending on which one.
Nick Robertson scored 55 goals in 46 games in the OHL last year, as an 18 year old. Rasmus Sandin was the top defenseman at the WJC's in 2020, as a 19 year old. Rodion Amirov was drafted 15th overall last summer. Timothy Liljegren is a 21 years old RHD and the best player on the Marlies and one of the best players in the AHL. Of those guys, Liljegren is the only one who's really "debatable" as a top prospect.

Leafs pool as a whole is around average. Not amazing, not terrible. They ranked 13th in The Athletic's recent prospect pool rankings. Dubas has done pretty well at the draft table, Robertson in particular.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If a trade to pick up a player like Mark Stone and we have the cap space to sign him long term, we'd part with a top prospect. We won't be trading them for rentals or guys who we're going to let walk as UFA's in the next 16 months. We're already right up against the cap with Hyman up this summer and Rielly up next year. Robertson, Liljegren, and Sandin all could be NHL contributors in the next two years, which directly helps our cap issues. Any deal today that's going to move them needs to knock our socks off or help solve the cap issue, because we're not going to trade one of our best pieces for Ekholm, which will cost us Holl in the expansion draft, Hyman this summer, and then Ekholm walks next summer. Leafs are happy to make a big play to get impact players, but we're not going to bleed assets. Be mindful of the dominoes.

Dubas said in this same interview that he would prefer a rental over a hockey deal so it sounds like you are at least considering moving top prospects for a rental.

Reactions: Anantika

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably not Sandin, who is injured, or Robertson, who forwent performance bonuses in order to expedite his ascension to the big club.

I'm okay trading 1st/Liljegren/Amirov, but the acquired player must also be worth the iron price that the Kraken will demand in order to protect them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't follow leaf prospects. Are their top prospects actual top prospects or just top in the Leaf's system. Way different value depending on which one.

The Leafs have a very strong farm system probably the best among playoff teams, and close to top 10 overall

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Probably not even him to be honest, he's worth like a late 2nd at best, the rest of them maybe a 3rd.

It’s hard to judge those guys but ya most don’t have a lot of value they won’t be getting good players on good contracts for them anyway. Perhaps Robertson but he is so teeny it’s a big risk, first body check this year and he was out of the NHL.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dubas said in this same interview that he would prefer a rental over a hockey deal so it sounds like you are at least considering moving top prospects for a rental.
That is not a logical conclusion to that statement. He is open to trading top prospects in a hockey deal, but would rather a rental for typical prices. Pretty simple stuff. I won't say the Leafs will never trade a top prospect for a rental, but don't expect them to because Dubas answered yes to "willing to consider".

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

As a non- Leafs fan...

They have 4 that have value then a sharp drop-off after. Wheeler has Abruzzese in that same tier, Hirvoven is getting a lot of hype right now, but I'd really say teams are focusing on the big 4.

What makes the system interesting is that their top prospects are NHL ready or close to it. They might not have elite potential but they are close to playing second pairing/ middle 6 roles soon. Once those 4 graduate, Abruzzese and Hirvoven should be close to filling the replacement roles.

So to answer your question, no they aren't top prospects. Robertson usually ranks 10-20 range on most lists I've seen, he's gonna be a good one, it could be easily argued that he's a top prospect.

Reactions: uncleben

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If we're never giving Lily a chance, move the kid. He is definitely going to be an NHLer and deserves a shot somewhere. I don't wanna move Sandin..would be open to moving Amirov, Roberston, Lily for the right piece.

Preds offer Granlund for Lilly

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It’s hard to judge those guys but ya most don’t have a lot of value they won’t be getting good players on good contracts for them anyway. Perhaps Robertson but he is so teeny it’s a big risk, first body check this year and he was out of the NHL.

Realistically they might have to pay to dump Liljegren's contract.

Reactions: axlrose87

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
They have 4 really good prospects highest in Robertson then followed by Sandin - Amirov. gets little not much but little lower in Liljegren.
after that Id consider the rest b prospects with Hallander above them all.
Robertson/Sandin/Amirov and Liljegren should be solid NHLers... How good we will see. but these 4 I see for sure being NHLers.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That is not a logical conclusion to that statement. He is open to trading top prospects in a hockey deal, but would rather a rental for typical prices. Pretty simple stuff. I won't say the Leafs will never trade a top prospect for a rental, but don't expect them to because Dubas answered yes to "willing to consider".

See you're the one adding additional context based on conjecture. I heard him say that he would consider trading a top prospect and that he would prefer a rental. I'm not sure how it isn't a logical conclusion to say that he might be willing to trade a top prospect for a rental.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
See you're the one adding additional context based on conjecture. I heard him say that he would consider trading a top prospect and that he would prefer a rental. I'm not sure how it isn't a logical conclusion to say that he might be willing to trade a top prospect for a rental.
You heard two separate statements and are conflating the two as directly connected. In the lack of any context such as the history of trades and player value in the NHL, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. But we do have the benefit of context and having some sort of ideas for what players and prospects generally get traded for in the NHL. As I said previously, I won't say never, but I will point out that what you are suggesting is unlikely.

Kyle Dubas is willing to trade a top prospect.
Kyle Dubas would prefer a rental to a hockey trade.
Kyle Dubas would prefer a cheeseburger for dinner.

Is Kyle Dubas willing to trade a top prospect for a cheeseburger? While the two premises that you've identified are individually sound, their connection is not implied and therefore it is not logical to imply that they ARE; the argument is not valid. Similarly, it is not logical to imply that they are NOT, which is why I am not saying never. That is where critical thinking and context come into play.

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad