News Article: Drew Remenda not returning as Sharks Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celebrini

Nov 15, 2010
I can't wait to hear him be a homer for the Sharks on accident.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I can't remember exactly what happened during that game but I'm pretty sure Ratto deserved that verbal beatdown. If he didn't actually deserve, we were all glad that Drew did it because Ratto runs his mouth saying stupid stuff about 90% of the time. Drew is sensible and he was a friend of the team and one of their biggest fans so don't worry about that since he doesn't really have any connections to the Oilers.

That was during the 11-12 season when the Sharks were again an elite team and hit an extended streak of some of the worst luck the team has ever had. They had something like a 20 game streak with a .250 win percentage.

A lot of fans at the time were trying to claim that was somehow reflective of a legitimate Sharks deficiency, while the team was outplaying opponents by a large margin most nights through that streak, just as they had prior to the streak.

So Remenda recognized it as what it was, while Ratto pushed the stupid meme, which many fans are also guilty of, that somehow the team could decide to "just win" and clearly they weren't deciding to do just that during the skid.

It was hogwash and the team more or less ran the table after the cold streak was over and almost won the division. So Remenda was right, Ratto and many fans here on HF were wrong (many of the same who don't have a problem with the current direction of the team), and that was that.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Traitor :sarcasm:

BwLu5F_IMAA7MDA.jpg:large

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That was during the 11-12 season when the Sharks were again an elite team and hit an extended streak of some of the worst luck the team has ever had. They had something like a 20 game streak with a .250 win percentage.

A lot of fans at the time were trying to claim that was somehow reflective of a legitimate Sharks deficiency, while the team was outplaying opponents by a large margin most nights through that streak, just as they had prior to the streak.

So Remenda recognized it as what it was, while Ratto pushed the stupid meme, which many fans are also guilty of, that somehow the team could decide to "just win" and clearly they weren't deciding to do just that during the skid.

It was hogwash and the team more or less ran the table after the cold streak was over and almost won the division. So Remenda was right, Ratto and many fans here on HF were wrong (many of the same who don't have a problem with the current direction of the team), and that was that.

lol elite? Give me a break. That team would barely pass as good that year. While Ray was an idiot for the whole just go out there and win BS, they were inconsistent that year because they simply weren't that good and weren't that deep up front or o the back end. Elite is not reserved for teams that finish middle of the road or worse in most statistical categories.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
lol elite? Give me a break. That team would barely pass as good that year. While Ray was an idiot for the whole just go out there and win BS, they were inconsistent that year because they simply weren't that good and weren't that deep up front or o the back end. Elite is not reserved for teams that finish middle of the road or worse in most statistical categories.

That's how I remember it. I think a lot of it had to do with the strategy they employed but that may have stemmed from personnel as well. Anyways, that team was not good. I'm almost shocked that they made the playoffs that year.

During that particular game though, I want to say that the advanced numbers were heavily in favor of the Sharks but I could be remembering that game wrong.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

You, my friend, are a case in point. The Sharks were in fact an elite team that year as they have been every season for almost a decade now. They were in fact near the top of the league in the most important categories, which indicate how they ACTUALLY played:

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2011.php?sort=6&section=close

And that's WITH the god-awful slump that Ratto acted like a dumb**** over, only to be called on it by Drew. They would have had to have been a worse team by far than the worst team in the league in order for that slump to be indicative of what the team could do.

You were wrong then, you are wrong now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You, my friend, are a case in point. The Sharks were in fact an elite team that year as they have been every season for almost a decade now. They were in fact near the top of the league in the most important categories, which indicate how they ACTUALLY played:

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2011.php?sort=6&section=close

And that's WITH the god-awful slump that Ratto acted like a dumb**** over, only to be called on it by Drew. They would have had to have been a worse team by far than the worst team in the league in order for that slump to be indicative of what the team could do.

You were wrong then, you are wrong now.

Funny that you're pinning your entire argument on being 7th in Fenwick close. That's still not elite. Fenwick is not the be-all, end-all of how a team ACTUALLY played. You need to stop pretending it is and pretending that being 7th or 8th in such categories is categorized as elite.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Sharks were not very good in 2011-12 and got boatraced by St. Louis. Why is this even being discussed in a thread about a former Sharks broadcaster?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Funny that you're pinning your entire argument on being 7th in Fenwick close. That's still not elite. Fenwick is not the be-all, end-all of how a team ACTUALLY played. You need to stop pretending it is and pretending that being 7th or 8th in such categories is categorized as elite.

It'd be the same as saying New Jersey was an elite team for the last two years.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Sharks were not very good in 2011-12 and got boatraced by St. Louis. Why is this even being discussed in a thread about a former Sharks broadcaster?

Because they were. St. Louis was the worst draw we could have gotten. They were the only team that flat out owned us that year. It happens. Look at the teams that lost in the PO's this year that shouldn't have except for the particular opponent they faced.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because they were. St. Louis was the worst draw we could have gotten. They were the only team that flat out owned us that year. It happens. Look at the teams that lost in the PO's this year that shouldn't have except for their opponent.

Eh, I don't think they would have gotten very far against anyone that year. They were a big, slow team that struggled to dictate pace. The penalty kill was awful too.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Eh, I don't think they would have gotten very far against anyone that year. They were a big, slow team that struggled to dictate pace. The penalty kill was awful too.

Vancouver was a better draw. Not saying they would have won. But, St.Louis was the 2nd worst Playoff draw next to Anaheim in 09.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Perhaps you didn't notice where St Louis placed on the list. I'll post it again so you can educate yourself: http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2011.php?sort=6&section=close

They were higher on corsi charts as well; in short they were a better team, but that doesn't mean the Sharks weren't also good. That was St Louis's best season in recent history. San Jose has had some pretty awful draws in the playoffs over the past decade.

That's just one measure; the corsi charts return similar results. I do not consider east competition equal to the west so they do not factor in. Remember those numbers include the team having a historically bad cold streak and horrendous shooting luck to the tune of 27th out of 30 teams. That they were in the position they were and almost won the division anyway shows that they were in fact an elite club.

But whether or not you think they were elite, the bottom line is the .250 win pct slump was not indicative of the quality of the team's play, so Ratto was just being an idiot. [Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I believe the emergence of reverse VH played a part in Sharks' struggles in 11-12. They just couldn't count on dominating the shot clock as they had before.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's just one measure; the corsi charts return similar results. I do not consider east competition equal to the west so they do not factor in. Remember those numbers include the team having a historically bad cold streak and horrendous shooting luck to the tune of 27th out of 30 teams. That they were in the position they were and almost won the division anyway shows that they were in fact an elite club.

But whether or not you think they were elite, the bottom line is the .250 win pct slump was not indicative of the quality of the team's play, so Ratto was just being an idiot. [Mod]

Well of course Corsi is going to return similar results because it is a similar metric. Winning the division or being close to it is irrelevant. If they won, they were facing Chicago and facing a similar result. Of course a slump is not indicative of the team's play. The fact that they were having slumps in many different portions of that season was speaking to their team's quality of play. They were inconsistent because they weren't that good let alone elite and it was because they didn't have the depth or the speed to hold up against the teams that were further ahead of the curve than them with where the league was going.

And yes, Ratto was being an idiot. That doesn't mean the team was elite. They weren't. Their numbers proved that. You're really stretching it when you're attributing luck as the reason why after an 82 game season, they finished 7th in the conference.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
You're really stretching it when you're attributing luck as the reason why after an 82 game season, they finished 7th in the conference.

Given that they were 1 point out of 3rd place, and that the season included the worst slump in team history, luck is literally the reason they finished 7th.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Not that finishing 7th precludes them from being an elite team. Los Angeles finished 8th and won the Cup as the top possession team in the league.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Given that they were 1 point out of 3rd place, and that the season included the worst slump in team history, luck is literally the reason they finished 7th.

If you call having the worst goaltender in franchise history being overused 'Luck'. Then yeah.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

This one gets it.

Bingo. That was the year the Sharks's realized they couldn't win by being slow and stagnant.

Not saying they would have won.

Haven't you been paying attention? There are people on these boards and elsewhere who are very confident that had SJ beaten LA this year, they would have won the Cup! Just duking the Sharks those 4 series wins!

Well of course Corsi is going to return similar results because it is a similar metric. Winning the division or being close to it is irrelevant. If they won, they were facing Chicago and facing a similar result. Of course a slump is not indicative of the team's play. The fact that they were having slumps in many different portions of that season was speaking to their team's quality of play.

Spot on. It wasn't apparent early on, but some of the Sharks's issues were very obvious as the season ground along.

They were inconsistent because they weren't that good let alone elite and it was because they didn't have the depth or the speed to hold up against the teams that were further ahead of the curve than them with where the league was going.

Abomination of a sentence aside, well said.

You're really stretching it when you're attributing luck as the reason why after an 82 game season, they finished 7th in the conference.

You haven't been on HFboards very long, I can see. Around these parts, luck and circumstance beats skill and will!

In my book, elite teams overcome matchup issues.

You get it. The best teams don't need excuses.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The prevailing discussion here is now about stats and includes some testy material that is inching towards flaming. I think that's a good sign that we're done here.

Anything about the future of the Sharks broadcast belongs in the Baker/Hedican thread. If anyone had anything else to say about Drew's departure or his performance toward the end of his SJ tenue, you've had plenty of opportunity up to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad