Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What I'm saying is the Bruins should be a little more sensitive when they see one of their guys get banged around especially when you consider how many games players missed this year because of injuries. The only guy who i can remember seeing this year lose his mind after someone took a run was Kevan Miller... boy was that a breath of fresh air.

Kevan Miller, Adam McQuaid... two players on this roster that would step up are two players most seem ready to get rid of. Maybe people want to see the Bruins adopt a new style where they get banged around and take the high road, that's cool. I don't, and you'll never change my opinion on that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I define toughness a bit different than the majority here. I find when I watch a player who drives/goes to the net or is willing to get his nose dirty along the walls, in the corners or my personal favorite, will stand in front of the net of an opposing teams goalie that`s toughness.

Is fighting a sign of someone being tough? Sure, I guess so. I`m a big fan of scraps and at times, as I watch this game (which is less and less these days), far too often I`m left totally uninspired by the state of the game. It`s all systems, it`s all very technical and for the most part, I don`t watch alot of games where even one scrap breaks out.

Posting a link for team scraps , as of Dec 8th, Duckies with only a dozen in what? 25-30 games, B`s a mere2 behind them for those who look at the scraps as the toughness aspect.

I don`t know, I don`t view this team as one that is "heavy", nor do I look at this team who has lost a game in my memory this season as a result of being manhandled, maybe even intimidated by an opponent, doesn`t mean I wouldn`t welcome a body that brings all the elements of what I consider true toughness, it`s just that those players aren`t easy to find

NHL Team Fighting Major Leaders for the 2017-2018 regular season - hockeyfights.com

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Rinaldo was never a great fighter, but the energy he brings can't be ignored. Also, he'd murder Beleskey. He'd murder anyone on the Bruins not named Chara, McQuaid or Miller.
I agree with you on many things but Rinaldo was a bad hockey player. When you are at the games you see him with the cheap shots (all game) hitting players on the ankles and knees (sometimes the head). The players on the other team then would start doing that to Bergy and our good players

Rinaldo often helped the other team The guys in stripes hate him.

I remember Quaider getting taken down (head first into the boards) and good old Zac just standing there. Zac only cares about himself. He is a selfish idiot who doesn't belong in the NHL.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Rinaldo had a few nice, big, clean hits. Of course there was yet another Bruin run last night in Pastrnak. It's unending. Bruins need to snap on someone and soon.
I believe Adam is skating I don't know when he is due back but he defends his team mates better than anyone else on the team.

Kevan Miller is also good at defending his mates BUT I am pretty sure he has a hand injury . Maybe it is OK now but last time he took off his glove on the bench his hand was taped up.

I really like both Adam and Kevan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I define toughness a bit different than the majority here. I find when I watch a player who drives/goes to the net or is willing to get his nose dirty along the walls, in the corners or my personal favorite, will stand in front of the net of an opposing teams goalie that`s toughness.

Is fighting a sign of someone being tough? Sure, I guess so. I`m a big fan of scraps and at times, as I watch this game (which is less and less these days), far too often I`m left totally uninspired by the state of the game. It`s all systems, it`s all very technical and for the most part, I don`t watch alot of games where even one scrap breaks out.

Posting a link for team scraps , as of Dec 8th, Duckies with only a dozen in what? 25-30 games, B`s a mere2 behind them for those who look at the scraps as the toughness aspect.

I don`t know, I don`t view this team as one that is "heavy", nor do I look at this team who has lost a game in my memory this season as a result of being manhandled, maybe even intimidated by an opponent, doesn`t mean I wouldn`t welcome a body that brings all the elements of what I consider true toughness, it`s just that those players aren`t easy to find

NHL Team Fighting Major Leaders for the 2017-2018 regular season - hockeyfights.com

I've had the NHL package for many years. 5 years ago it was easy to pick out a game where there was likely to be some fisticuffs. Today, doesn't even cross my mind. There is no such game.

Only hope is for Trump to be impeached and then become the NHL commissioner.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've had the NHL package for many years. 5 years ago it was easy to pick out a game where there was likely to be some fisticuffs. Today, doesn't even cross my mind. There is no such game.

Only hope is for Trump to be impeached and then become the NHL commissioner.
No thanks. He has ruined enough already

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Oh and just to follow up on the thread allow me to recap. Bruins are soft, need to add at least a fourth line who hits and fights and ideally another tough big forward for the top 9, Sweeney has resources to acquire said players but needs to awaken from coma and make a move until then Bruins will continue to be bullied and my blood pressure will continue to rise. Percentage of fans are happy with current team and enjoy watching Bruins get run for power plays, similar group considers a league of Ryan Spooners and Alex Semins entertaining.

In my best Lloyd Bridges voice I obviously picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oh and just to follow up on the thread allow me to recap. Bruins are soft, need to add at least a fourth line who hits and fights and ideally another tough big forward for the top 9, Sweeney has resources to acquire said players but needs to awaken from come and make a move until then Bruins will continue to be bullied and my blood pressure will continue to rise. Percentage of fans are happy with current team and enjoy watching Bruins get run for power plays, similar group considers a league of Ryan Spooners and Alex Semins entertaining.

In my best Lloyd Bridges voice I obviously picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
except the league has gone away from that, and in consequence, this franchise hasn't adapted....

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm not talking about full on brawls I'm talking about having some size and toughness on the bottom 2 lines. There are still plenty of tough team's, almost every group of forwards in the NHL is gritty and tougher than Boston's.

I know you can't roll a 4th line with Jay Miller and Lyndon Byers but you can have a Curtis McKenzie, Austin Watson, Mike Haley, Garnet Hathaway or Matt Martin on your Fourth line

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I know he's disliked around here for his questionable hits on Bruins players, but Trotz is playing Tom Wilson on a line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. The games I've seen, it's been quite effective. He's not only keeping other teams honest with the star players, he's getting under opponents' skin.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I know he's disliked around here for his questionable hits on Bruins players, but Trotz is playing Tom Wilson on a line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. The games I've seen, it's been quite effective. He's not only keeping other teams honest with the star players, he's getting under opponents' skin.

Wilson is an absolute knucklehead, but he was a first round pick and has some ability. Don’t think you could take any old 4th liner, slot them in on, and have them be effective on the 1st line.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not saying this never happened, but i always thought the Bruins were the toughest team in the league when they had Thornton, McQuaid, Chara, Lucic, Ference etc

My issue lies in the fact that the Bruins seemed to immediately develop a completely different style of play when they got rid of Thornton and Lucic. It was almost like they looked at the Habs roster and said "this team keeps beating us, maybe we should play more like them"

For me, the absolute best thing about that team was the fact the 95% of the time, they had the toughest guy on the ice.

Think about it...

Chara and McQuaid were on separate pairs...so every other defense shift one was out there.

Then Lucic and Thornton were on different lines and finally Ference and Boychuk could handle themselves.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
yea, and that got what, both teams fined and half a dozen players suspended, is that what you want to roll 4 lines of enforcers

You asked for brawl, I gave you a brawl
As I stated I want a good tough fourth line player who can fight and a third line player with some skill who can contribute but is considered tough and difficult to play against. Size on both would be a plus

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
As the Bruins management said until not so long ago, players with a high battle factor

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
As the Bruins management said until not so long ago, players with a high battle factor
Sadly, for all four of us who like a tough team, it's not going to happen with Sweeney. I think Cassidy is more than happy to ice total softness anyways. What's surprising to me is Neely being happy with this. When was the last time Sweeney or Neely made a public appearance?

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Missed the game as I had a staff party but glad to see a W at the end! I was entitled to some bragging rights for the night but stayed humble.

Will be catching the highlights tomorrow but hoping it was a good game by our boys! GO B'S!!!!

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Loved the effort tonight to lay out islanders whenever they could.

Exhibit a you can take some oenalties (even tho they weren't) and still actually win the game.
Good point about taking a penalty here and there. It's not like we don't have a lineup loaded with penalty-killers.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Naturally the main board already has the desperate crew pleading for suspension to Marchand for what should have been two for roughing.

Bruins should continue to play this way. The tone was set with the hit on McAvoy (clean hit).

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad