Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm with you in that they haven't drafted many (or any) players of the ilk of a Martin or Reeves. Certainly is a weakness in the overall depth of the organization. Given the sheer number of picks this team has had, they can afford to do so. Sweeney is also paying the price of not drafting/developing any players like this prior to him taking over the job, chances are if they had taken one in the 3 drafts he's presided over, that player wouldn't be ready to play right now.

Personally I'd sign White and move out some dead weight to make room for him, whether that be via waivers or trade.

I wasn`t a huge proponent of the invite for White but he has to be better than Vatrano out there? Beleskey is done, has to be

what is the status of White? I`ve heard/read nothing about it

Thx

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn`t a huge proponent of the invite for White but he has to be better than Vatrano out there? Beleskey is done, has to be

what is the status of White? I`ve heard/read nothing about it

Thx

I thought Vatrano's game was improving each night until last night when he played under 4 mins.

But give me White over Nash or Agostino any day.

He's still on a PTO to the best of my knowledge. Not sure how much longer he can stay on that status though.

Reactions: frickinbobby

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought Vatrano's game was improving each night until last night when he played under 4 mins.

He's still on a PTO to the best of my knowledge. Not sure how much longer he can stay on that status though.

I think Frankie is trying, I just see his time being over with in Boston. We shall see what happens, if anything with White.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

No issue with White, but I'm sure the tide wouldn't have turned like it did watching Anderson beat White up.

Nash and Schaller are etched in stone on this team, they are never sitting unless hurt.

The move would be to make Heinen a LW and scratch Agostino and insert White.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm wondering if White is still not cleared for games due to the concussion he suffered in the preseason. He may have been cleared to practice but not games.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think Nash takes too much heat sometimes because Cassidy has overplayed him, he's a good 4th line center.

I'd like to see them sign White who could be a solid energy guy that can somewhat keep up with the play.

Some of the dead weight needs to go. I'd send Agostino back down and move Spooner for whatever you can get, call up JFK to play the #3C position. Heinen has earned a spot here. I'm not sure what to do about Vatrano.

Lineup of:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-JFK-Backes
Schaller/Kuraly-Nash-White
Beleskey

Good top 6, hopefully an improved 3rd line with Heinen/JFK, decent 4th line with some physical play.

I also think this team needs to find a 3rd pairing LD as I don't like Postma and hate seeing Miller on his off hand.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No issue with White, but I'm sure the tide wouldn't have turned like it did watching Anderson beat White up.

Nash and Schaller are etched in stone on this team, they are never sitting unless hurt.

The move would be to make Heinen a LW and scratch Agostino and insert White.

Yup, Nash and Schaller are in the line-up it appears no matter what.

Schaller in his defense has played pretty good.

I'll forever be confused on what Riley Nash has done to warrant an everyday job on this team. I'm convinced if he was placed on waivers all 30 teams pass on him, but in Boston he's never been a healthy scratch in two seasons now to the best of my knowledge.

And if someone comes out of the line-up to insert White, based on what they have right now it needs to be Agostino, who should be on a bus to Providence.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Nash takes too much heat sometimes because Cassidy has overplayed him, he's a good 4th line center.

I'd like to see them sign White who could be a solid energy guy that can somewhat keep up with the play.

Some of the dead weight needs to go. I'd send Agostino back down and move Spooner for whatever you can get, call up JFK to play the #3C position. Heinen has earned a spot here. I'm not sure what to do about Vatrano.

Lineup of:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-JFK-Backes
Schaller/Kuraly-Nash-White
Beleskey

Good top 6, hopefully an improved 3rd line with Heinen/JFK, decent 4th line with some physical play.

I also think this team needs to find a 3rd pairing LD as I don't like Postma and hate seeing Miller on his off hand.

Please explain what makes Nash a "good" 4th line C?

Doesn't bring any energy.

5 on 5 he's ineffective. Average in his own end, below average in the other two zones.

Doesn't fight or stand up for teammates.

He's a pretty good penalty killer and face-off guy. That's it. Doesn't make him a "good" 4th line C. He's a bottom-tier 4th line center.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yup, Nash and Schaller are in the line-up it appears no matter what.

Schaller in his defense has played pretty good.

I'll forever be confused on what Riley Nash has done to warrant an everyday job on this team. I'm convinced if he was placed on waivers all 30 teams pass on him, but in Boston he's never been a healthy scratch in two seasons now to the best of my knowledge.

And if someone comes out of the line-up to insert White, based on what they have right now it needs to be Agostino, who should be on a bus to Providence.

Agostino is better than Kuraly and Vatrano IMO, but Kuraly plays C and Vatrano wouldn't clear. I think Agostino can go down since he passed already.

I'm not sure I understand the obsession with Ryan White though. I guess if you want someone to get beat up and fire up the other team. Dude's last 25 fights... 4-17-4.. garbage fighter.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agostino is better than Kuraly and Vatrano IMO, but Kuraly plays C and Vatrano wouldn't clear. I think Agostino can go down since he passed already.

I'm not sure I understand the obsession with Ryan White though. I guess if you want someone to get beat up and fire up the other team. Dude's last 25 fights... 4-17-4.. garbage fighter.

I'm not a huge White fan, he's not a great fighter like you said.

But he is physical, he's a right-shot, and can score the odd goal.

Colt made a good point about how other teams can manipulate the Bruins D into fisticuffs taking them off the ice, which is a benefit to the other team forcing the Bruins down to 5 D-men at times. Better White than Miller or Chara.

We disagree on Agostino. I think the guy is a total plug. And I think once he cleared waivers, they can send him down again within 30 days without needing waivers again.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think if backes and belesky are in lineup they have to answer bell... i think kuraly and accari are in same boat.

Im a fan of the old days when guys who could play like fergerson, and howe, and oreilly, and gillies were debated to be toughest player in nhl.

For past 2 or 3 decades teams dressed 4 and 5 min per night meatheads that embarrassed us all with their goon antics

The nhl marketing guys rightfully pushed an agenda to elliminate meatheads from the game

Honestly its hard for me to point to more than a handful of times where winning a fight meant that much to a game decesion but ive seen soooo many times where not answering the bell defeated a team

Its really not about having the toughest player in the league. Its definitely is about having each others back

We probably do need a skilled fighter that can dance without getting himself dusted. Even if hes just a hugger. I agree we dont want our dmen to be first responders.

Maybe backes needs to step up more? He wont hurt anyone but he has answered the bell before.

Maybe the situation in columbus is bad enough with josh anderson they might talk trade?

Whoever we bring in needs to be able to play. I dont feel ryan white is that guy

And someone like luke gadzic definitely wouldnt help in my humble opinion.

We need to find ourselves the next lucic and bring back the team swarming. Even guys like gregory campbell and andrew ference can add to team toughness when they are ready to stick up for teammates at any moment

The two bolded points above are the key, IMO.

I know there aren't any Lucic's or Maroon's floating around the AHL, waiting to be scooped up for a 3rd rounder, but there has to be a few guys that can offer as much as a Kuraly, but can also fight and intimidate as well.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm not a huge White fan, he's not a great fighter like you said.

But he is physical, he's a right-shot, and can score the odd goal.

Colt made a good point about how other teams can manipulate the Bruins D into fisticuffs taking them off the ice, which is a benefit to the other team forcing the Bruins down to 5 D-men at times. Better White than Miller or Chara.

We disagree on Agostino. I think the guy is a total plug. And I think once he cleared waivers, they can send him down again within 30 days without needing waivers again.

I guess but that's part of 33 and 86 game, to fight every now and then.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I guess but that's part of 33 and 86 game, to fight every now and then.

Sure is, and bringing in White doesn't mean they would never fight again, but they could pick there spots better.

I have absolutely no problem with what Chara and Miller did last night.

And if I brought in White, it would be to play on a line with Schaller in the middle, and a younger, more skilled guy on the other side.

I'm done with Agostino, Nash, and Kuraly. They can all go kick rocks.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
While this happened when the team was down 2-0 and soon to be 3-0 can anybody deny this brought the B's back into the game?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Please explain what makes Nash a "good" 4th line C?

Doesn't bring any energy.

5 on 5 he's ineffective. Average in his own end, below average in the other two zones.

Doesn't fight or stand up for teammates.

He's a pretty good penalty killer and face-off guy. That's it. Doesn't make him a "good" 4th line C. He's a bottom-tier 4th line center.

He gets absolutely brutal deployment without getting completely caved in 5v5 in addition to being a pretty good PK and faceoff guy. I think that makes him a good 4th line C, he has just received too many minutes at times due to Bergeron/Krejci being out.

I think the amount of DZ draws he takes and still manages okay results helps the team a ton as it frees up the Marchand/Bergeron duo a bit. I think if you take him away the team loses an important piece as Marchand/Bergeron would be saddled with more DZ starts and that line is Boston's best offensive threat.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sure is, and bringing in White doesn't mean they would never fight again, but they could pick there spots better.

I have absolutely no problem with what Chara and Miller did last night.

And if I brought in White, it would be to play on a line with Schaller in the middle, and a younger, more skilled guy on the other side.

I'm done with Agostino, Nash, and Kuraly. They can all go kick rocks.

Your 4th line if White signs is guaranteed to be Schaller-Nash-White. When DK comes back if they move Backes back to RW then Kuraly sticks as your 3C.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While this happened when the team was down 2-0 and soon to be 3-0 can anybody deny this brought the B's back into the game?

Plus the huge hit before that. He destroyed Anderson along the boards. The team got pushed around period 1 like it was 06-07, then responded in a huge way, physically and on the scoreboard.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He gets absolutely brutal deployment without getting completely caved in 5v5 in addition to being a pretty good PK and faceoff guy. I think that makes him a good 4th line C, he has just received too many minutes at times due to Bergeron/Krejci being out.

I think the amount of DZ draws he takes and still manages okay results helps the team a ton as it frees up the Marchand/Bergeron duo a bit. I think if you take him away the team loses an important piece as Marchand/Bergeron would be saddled with more DZ starts and that line is Boston's best offensive threat.

Then use Backes more for DZ zone starts. Schaller can play C and take face-offs too. He was a center the bulk of his playing career.

Sorry I don't see what Nash brings other than face-offs and penalty-killing. One a scale of 1-5 (5 being good), his D-zone work is a 3, his neutral zone a 2, and in the offensive zone a complete zero.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Then use Backes more for DZ zone starts. Schaller can play C and take face-offs too. He was a center the bulk of his playing career.

Sorry I don't see what Nash brings other than face-offs and penalty-killing. One a scale of 1-5 (5 being good), his D-zone work is a 3, his neutral zone a 2, and in the offensive zone a complete zero.

I know you and I have disagreed about Nash in the past and I don't expect you to change your mind about him but I do have to add to this that he doesn't take shifts off and sometimes that is huge. He sucks offensively, no argument there- he often makes a good first move and can't ever seem to follow up with a second. To me he is an expendable player once we have someone that can bring what he does in terms of work rate, effort, adequate defensive zone coverage, and on the PK on a consistent basis. That could be Blidh, JFK, or someone bumping Schaller down to his rightful level, but until that happens we could do a lot worse than Riley Nash on the 4th line (Randell, Hayes, Beleskey, Rinaldo etc etc)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know you and I have disagreed about Nash in the past and I don't expect you to change your mind about him but I do have to add to this that he doesn't take shifts off and sometimes that is huge. He sucks offensively, no argument there- he often makes a good first move and can't ever seem to follow up with a second. To me he is an expendable player once we have someone that can bring what he does in terms of work rate, effort, adequate defensive zone coverage, and on the PK on a consistent basis. That could be Blidh, JFK, or someone bumping Schaller down to his rightful level, but until that happens we could do a lot worse than Riley Nash on the 4th line (Randell, Hayes, Beleskey, Rinaldo etc etc)

I agree it could be worse, and I don't have an issue with Nash's effort.

I'm fine with Backes and Schaller as the 3rd and 4th line C. Give me an energy guy on RW, and a young winger on LW. I see no need for Nash when this team is healthy. Don't want him on this roster, don't want him as an option for this coaching staff.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All I know is McQuaid is a warrior who played 13 Cup finals games and never looked out of place

Screw White

I'll take McQuaid and Miller and Chara to set tone around the net

I'm more excited to see Heinen then worry about having our manhood questioned

The game has changed and the Bruins defense is as physical enough for me

Reactions: Ritmo and Ladyfan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All I know is McQuaid is a warrior who played 13 Cup finals games and never looked out of place

Screw White

I'll take McQuaid and Miller and Chara to set tone around the net

I'm more excited to see Heinen then worry about having our manhood questioned

The game has changed and the Bruins defense is as physical enough for me

With the evolving use of McAvoy, how would you line-up the D when McQuaid is healthy?

McAvoy looks like he is now the No.1 D, if based on ice-time if nothing else.

Miller looks way more comfortable on the right side than he does the left.

Which one of Carlo or McQuaid do you move to their off-side of Miller?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
BTW, does anyone know which team leads the league in fights?

Yup B's with 7 and 5 of those 7 are from the D. Belesky and Schaller only forwards to drop gloves.

Again if you are going to play your 12th forward three minutes I would prefer he hits, fights and brings energy.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad