Value of: Draisaitl's upcoming contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Anything under the Max for McDavid is a discount

He's not a ufa and he's not even playing that contact next year. He took a big deal that guarantees brim safety. If a shark eats his leg he gets $100m. If fails down the stairs and injures his back he gets $100m. If he gets injured in a game next year and never plays again he gets $100m.

Insurance.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The GM said he didn't think so for this summer but in 2018 or 2019.

Draisaitl is running out of offer sheet options if that is what he was waiting/hoping for.

I'm not seeing a team left that can afford an offer sheet that had any chance of not being matched. Lots of budget teams with space that would be nuts to gamble breaking the bank on Drai's small sample size of looking good without McDavid. Teams with their own big name contributors to sign still. Teams with guys like Laine and Eichel that an offer sheet to Drai could make those negotiations absolutely brutal.

Not sure anything will be coming Drai's way now with Montreal off the board.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He's not a ufa and he's not even playing that contact next year. He took a big deal that guarantees brim safety. If a shark eats his leg he gets $100m. If fails down the stairs and injures his back he gets $100m. If he gets injured in a game next year and never plays again he gets $100m.

Insurance.
Guy wanted 5 years because it's unlikely those things will happen.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Guy wanted 5 years because it's unlikely those things will happen.

No way, I'm sure the "what if you get a career ending injury?" argument could have given Chia all kinds of leverage over McDavid for these negotiations, he just didn't use it :)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the mcdavid contract is the same reason george clooney or adam sandler can get overpaid... the name in the marquee is worth a premium above and beyond their actual talent

of course mcdavid is also talented

give him 10.5 for talent and the other 2 for being mr face of the league.

i mean gretzky was being paid sometimes twice as much as anyone in league. if i remember righg when lindros got 3... gretzky was boosted to 6... lemieux and messier got a raise... everyone else was half of gretzky

face of the league gets a premium

if mcdavid/kane/towes/kopitar/price are the only 10 mill players and have many cups as well as ufa age... then theres no chance draisailt can argue hes in this company imho

in the next group is ovechkin... malkin... crosby... hes not in this group either

at best he can point to the guys in philadelphia. they didnt accomplish anything before getting 8.25 but even they are giving up ufa years... maybe subban, again giving up ufa years... perry, getslef, kessel... all giving up ufa years... stamkos

best case he has an aguement for around 8.25 if he maxes out 8 years

anyone who offer sheets him above this number id destroying the pay scale. but others teams can only go 5 years or the compensation would jump to 4 firsts.

unless of course edmonton just matches

now mcdavid took a reported 725 less to help team. if draisailt is using mcdavid as his inspiration he should take 725 less too... putting him at 7.5 mill

7.5 is where his market comparables are at.

7.5 for 5 years... no ufa years lost. if draisailt is elite he will hit ufa at 27 and could jump over 10 mill at that time. he hasnt earnt it yet

oilers and rest of the nhl are bound by self preservation here... not a penny over 7.5. give draisailt the shorter term to keep him happy unless he wants longer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Peter: sign the offer sheet then. We'll match it and trade you to a non playoff team

if a team offer sheets at 9 for 6 or more years... take the 4 first round picks and spend the 9 in ufa.

theres always teams needing to dump salary and willing to trade very useful players for picks.

for 9 mill in capspace and a couple picks edmonton could have had hamonic and marlaeu and still a couple firsts left over.

draisailt looks like he might be a big bodied ppg center but he wasnt able to play defense well enough to check getzlef. he didnt dominate san jose. his regular season saw a couple slumps...

very very good... not great

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Watch and learn. You're an Oiler outsider.
Ask hardcore Oiler fans if Draisaitl will be playing somewhere else next year.

Ahahaha !

I'm telling you man, you have this very fascinating and unique way to twist what others are saying, and come back with a statement that has nothing to do with what was discussed.

I never once said I expected any other outcome than Draisaitl re-signing in Edmonton. Literally, not once. What I said was, I don't believe he'll be willing to take a few millions per discount just so he can play with McDavid, based on their friendship. I may be an Oiler outsider...but I've been following sports long enough to know that, while romanticizing a relationship between two players or a player and a city sure feels nice in our heads, there aren't many example of that. At least, not 'millions-worth' example. Especially at the age of 20.

I can pretty much only think of two right now: Sedins, who may have at some point agreed to take less just so they can keep on playing together in Vancouver - and even then, I'm not sure we're talking about millions per - and that year Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya both agreed to sign in Colorado...and that probably had a lot more to do with them wanting to win a cup than anything else.

But I get it, don't get me wrong. Hell, we do it in Montreal too. How many times do you think we've said 'Selanne is going to come to Montreal to play with his very good friend Saku Koivu' or 'Plekanec will convince Jagr to come play with him'. As a fan, it's nice to think that friendship is worth a couple of millions to these guys...but at the end of the day, they take the money...and remain friends. That's how life goes.

So if the money is there in Edmonton (and I think it will), Draisaitl will stay in Edmonton. But if Draisaitl feels the money is somewhere else, he'll tell McDavid: "See ya at the next PA meeting buddy" and leave.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Ahahaha !

I'm telling you man, you have this very fascinating and unique way to twist what others are saying, and come back with a statement that has nothing to do with what was discussed.

I never once said I expected any other outcome than Draisaitl re-signing in Edmonton. Literally, not once. What I said was, I don't believe he'll be willing to take a few millions per discount just so he can play with McDavid, based on their friendship. I may be an Oiler outsider...but I've been following sports long enough to know that, while romanticizing a relationship between two players or a player and a city sure feels nice in our heads, there aren't many example of that. At least, not 'millions-worth' example. Especially at the age of 20.

I can pretty much only think of two right now: Sedins, who may have at some point agreed to take less just so they can keep on playing together in Vancouver - and even then, I'm not sure we're talking about millions per - and that year Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya both agreed to sign in Colorado...and that probably had a lot more to do with them wanting to win a cup than anything else.

But I get it, don't get me wrong. Hell, we do it in Montreal too. How many times do you think we've said 'Selanne is going to come to Montreal to play with his very good friend Saku Koivu' or 'Plekanec will convince Jagr to come play with him'. As a fan, it's nice to think that friendship is worth a couple of millions to these guys...but at the end of the day, they take the money...and remain friends. That's how life goes.

So if the money is there in Edmonton (and I think it will), Draisaitl will stay in Edmonton. But if Draisaitl feels the money is somewhere else, he'll tell McDavid: "See ya at the next PA meeting buddy" and leave.

You think Draisaitl will follow the money, i don't. We both put our money where our mouths are. We'll see

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Anything over 8 = me being disappointed, anything under 8 would be great.[/QUOTE

You're forgetting why Subban isn't an Oiler. Not because the ask from Mtl was too high - it's because Chiarelli wouldn't take on P.K.s 9M contract. Drai won't get a sniff at that number

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Anything over 8 = me being disappointed, anything under 8 would be great.[/QUOTE

You're forgetting why Subban isn't an Oiler. Not because the ask from Mtl was too high - it's because Chiarelli wouldn't take on P.K.s 9M contract. Drai won't get a sniff at that number
He's not an Oiler because the Habs wanted Draisaitl, Klefbom and a 1st for Subban :laugh:

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
if a team offer sheets at 9 for 6 or more years... take the 4 first round picks and spend the 9 in ufa.

theres always teams needing to dump salary and willing to trade very useful players for picks.

for 9 mill in capspace and a couple picks edmonton could have had hamonic and marlaeu and still a couple firsts left over.

draisailt looks like he might be a big bodied ppg center but he wasnt able to play defense well enough to check getzlef. he didnt dominate san jose. his regular season saw a couple slumps...

very very good... not great

Too late for that, the times when picks are tradeable for quality assets are the deadline and before the draft.

Losing Draisaitl and taking the picks make us a much weaker team until next July.

Not worth it. I'd rather pay Leon and move RNH at the deadline or next June.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm not seeing a team left that can afford an offer sheet that had any chance of not being matched. Lots of budget teams with space that would be nuts to gamble breaking the bank on Drai's small sample size of looking good without McDavid. Teams with their own big name contributors to sign still. Teams with guys like Laine and Eichel that an offer sheet to Drai could make those negotiations absolutely brutal.

Not sure anything will be coming Drai's way now with Montreal off the board.

Not that i think Mtl will offersheet Drai but why again Mtl is off the board?? Did i miss something?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Too late for that, the times when picks are tradeable for quality assets are the deadline and before the draft.

Losing Draisaitl and taking the picks make us a much weaker team until next July.

Not worth it. I'd rather pay Leon and move RNH at the deadline or next June.

OS would already be done if any GM was thinking of doing it. So i think you can sleep on both ears.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is that confirmed? If true, MB is a bigger idiot than I thought. Which is saying a lot... Didn't he at least offer our first too? Do you think they would have accepted without the Edmonton's 1st?

The deal apparently got nixed when PLD was picked by CBJ before the Oilers pick so I am guessing Oilers 1st was a very valuable part of that package.

"Friedman goes over a lot of things that were already known, such as the Habs’ ask from the Oilers, a package of players that included Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton’s fourth pick in the 2016 draft, a defenceman like Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse, and another asset. This massive ask was discussed on various Oilers radio shows at the time of the draft."

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Is that confirmed? If true, MB is a bigger idiot than I thought. Which is saying a lot... Didn't he at least offer our first too? Do you think they would have accepted without the Edmonton's 1st?

On the morning of June 24th, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said the ask from Edmonton was the fourth overall pick, Draisaitl and more than that, maybe a player like Oscar Klefbom. “Edmonton has just not been willing to do it… I think the big game of chicken today is (Montreal GM) Marc Bergevin and Peter Chiarelli. You know, I think Edmonton would love to have Subban, but I think they’ve looked at the price as being overly unrealistic.”

I might have been OK with Draisaitl and the 4th last summer but not now

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
On the morning of June 24th, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said the ask from Edmonton was the fourth overall pick, Draisaitl and more than that, maybe a player like Oscar Klefbom. “Edmonton has just not been willing to do it… I think the big game of chicken today is (Montreal GM) Marc Bergevin and Peter Chiarelli. You know, I think Edmonton would love to have Subban, but I think they’ve looked at the price as being overly unrealistic.â€

I might have been OK with Draisaitl and the 4th last summer but not now

Friedman also said McDavid's contract was 13.25M - so how accurate the report was is in question.
Either way the Habs are dumb for treating the 4th overall pick (Pierre Luc-Dubois) as the primary piece rather than Draisaitl. Especially when it looks like Dubois took a step back last year...his draft year #'s being an exception rather than the rule.

If Montreal were in the same boat this year I'm sure they'd gladly trade Subban straight up for Draisaitl. Not sure Edmonton would make that deal now

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Friedman also said McDavid's contract was 13.25M - so how accurate the report was is in question.
Either way the Habs are dumb for treating the 4th overall pick (Pierre Luc-Dubois) as the primary piece rather than Draisaitl. Especially when it looks like Dubois took a step back last year...his draft year #'s being an exception rather than the rule.

If Montreal were in the same boat this year I'm sure they'd gladly trade Subban straight up for Draisaitl. Not sure Edmonton would make that deal now

Freidman wasn't the one who first suggested the 13.25, was he? Either way, that was likely a false number leaked by either the Oilers or McDavid's agent to make it seem like he was taking a pay cut for the sake of the team. :laugh:

Friedman is accurate. The issue is if people don't listen to what he is saying. He speculates sometimes and tells you when he is. Other times he is flat out saying that he knows something from a source, and that stuff is legit. The Habs ask of Edmonton for Subban was the latter, so coming from Friedman I think it is safe to assume that it is right, even if that was just the initial ask and the price came down somewhat afterwards. Either way, I think Edmonton fans are happy that the deal didn't happen, and given the way things have turned out, I think most Habs fans would have preferred a Draisaitl trade over getting Weber.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Too lazy to sift through 9 pages, apologies if it has been brought up:

What if LD declines to sign an offer sheet for the chance to player alongside perhaps the best player in NHL history, or close to it, for his career?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

What if LD declines to sign an offer sheet for the chance to player alongside perhaps the best player in NHL history, or close to it, for his career?

Uh...

To your question. If Draisaitl and his agent understands the values he brings to the Oilers, then accepting an offer sheet will probably still mean he's an Oiler. Just forces Chiarelli's hand.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Impressive that you created an account in 2005 since you were born after Gretzky retired.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad