Value of: Draisaitl's upcoming contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
If McDavid was willing to sign for less, Draisaitl should follow suit. It only helps long run. But, hes absolutely worth 8-9m.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I don't think that's what qwerty is saying.
Draisaitl doesn't have to sign the offersheet, forcing the Oilers to match or not. But he can still uses them as leverage, and not necessarily to get that same amount from the Oilers, but to get closer to where he thinks his value is.

"Peter, I know your offer stands firm at $6.5m per...but I've got this offersheet here, at $9.0m per. Now I'm not going to sign it...yet. And I'd be willing to take a bit less to stay with the Oilers, and win a cup with McDavid. But that isn't worth $2.5m per, over 8 years. Meet me at $8.0m, and lets get this done. Under than that, I've got $9.0m here waiting for me."​

I may be wrong, but...I don't think you actually "refuse" an offersheet. You just don't sign it. But that offer still stands, unless the team that sent it pulls it away.

Peter: sign the offer sheet then. We'll match it and trade you to a non playoff team

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
We've had that discussion before, I'm not going down that road again. ;)

If I'm Chiarelli I bet Draisaitl is more motivated to play with Mcdavid then to hold out for stupid money. Anyone who disagrees must not be aware of the relationship between the 2 players. Hence the contract priority was Mcdavid, then Draisaitl. Leverage now is with the Oilers

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Draisaitl's number will not be astronomical simply due to his lack of options. Probably 20 franchises would have jumped at the chance to give up four first round picks to pay Connor McDavid 15m/year over the next seven years. A competitor GM could offer sheet McDavid at max terms knowing it is a win-win either way (Options A, get McDavid, Option B, hamstring Oilers cap structure). Doubtful this is the case with Draisaitl. I put the likelihood of him getting an offer sheet as little to none given the reality that a successful bid would be over 10m per annum (and forfeiting the 4 firsts).

So Draisaitl's decision come October will be to play on a great up and coming team and make 8-9 million over the next 8 years, or to not play at all and get paid nothing. Chiarelli would be smart to slow play this one.

" Probably 20 franchises would have jumped at the chance to give up four first round picks to pay Connor McDavid 15m/year over the next seven years. "

Every single franchise in the NHL would offer Connor max term and contract if he became a RFA.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Does anyone know how long Offersheets are valid for?

It cannot really be more then 24 hours can it? I understand the team has 7 days to match, but the original offersheet has to have a timeframe or teams would be handcuffs while the player uses it as leverage (signing free agents ect)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Does anyone know how long Offersheets are valid for?

It cannot really be more then 24 hours can it? I understand the team has 7 days to match, but the original offersheet has to have a timeframe or teams would be handcuffs while the player uses it as leverage (signing free agents ect)

What are you asking for? If you know it is open for 7 days, what are you looking for? An offer sheet is a contract - a team could give Draisaitl one today and he could hold on to it for the next 8 weeks before signing a deal (or the offer sheet) unless it specifies otherwise in the contract.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Hypothetical: What would Drai get if he had been asked to center the second line for the year and had scored at a rate of .8 ppg?

Put another way, do Oilers' fans believe he would go ppg over a season without McDavid on his line?

Just interested in the thoughts of Oilers' fans who know him best.

Last edited:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I don't think teams use offer sheets like that. They don't just throw them out there and let the player use them as a negotiating tactic. They would not go though the trouble of writing up an offer sheet that they are legally bound to, unless the player had already said, "Yeah, you put that on paper and I'm signing it."

So, Draisaitl will not be able to go, "Well, I've got this offer sheet here, that I haven't signed." As he won't have an offer sheet unless he has already agreed to sign it.

He may be able to say, "Team X is offering $10 mil", but he won't have an offer sheet to prove it, unless he signs it. So, it would just be more verbal negotiating.

I'm not saying that any player has to have one already presented to them. But to even have a threat of one is added leverage. Gaudreau last year didn't even have offer sheet or arbitration eligibility, so his contract ended up being considerably lower than what he probably could've received. But having that ability to sign one as a threat is in itself, an added advantage for Draisaitl's camp.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'm not saying that any player has to have one already presented to them. But to even have a threat of one is added leverage. Gaudreau last year didn't even have offer sheet or arbitration eligibility, so his contract ended up being considerably lower than what he probably could've received. But having that ability to sign one as a threat is in itself, an added advantage for Draisaitl's camp.

Okay, I get ya.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
What are you asking for? If you know it is open for 7 days, what are you looking for? An offer sheet is a contract - a team could give Draisaitl one today and he could hold on to it for the next 8 weeks before signing a deal (or the offer sheet) unless it specifies otherwise in the contract.

There is no way it works like that there has to be a universal time that the offersheet is valid until the player needs to make a decision, I highly doubt it is written into the offersheet and varies. Say someone sent him a offersheet, he could literally like you said hold onto it for a month and use it as leverage. The team that sent the offersheet would be handcuffed and unable to sign rfa's or do trades in case the player decides to sign.

I understand if he did sign it, the team that offered it cannot really do much for a week. It is not open for 7 days, the team that the player is from has 7 days to either Match or take picks.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
If I'm Chiarelli I bet Draisaitl is more motivated to play with Mcdavid then to hold out for stupid money. Anyone who disagrees must not be aware of the relationship between the 2 players. Hence the contract priority was Mcdavid, then Draisaitl. Leverage now is with the Oilers

This falls, at best, in the "Stamkos wants to play in Toronto" category...and probably only applies for the Sedins. I'm not saying they aren't close. But if you think that relationship can be quantified in millions of dollars, I think you're romanticizing that relationship by quite a bit.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
This falls, at best, in the "Stamkos wants to play in Toronto" category...and probably only applies for the Sedins. I'm not saying they aren't close. But if you think that relationship can be quantified in millions of dollars, I think you're romanticizing that relationship by quite a bit.

Yep. There are also tons more factors at play. His Agent for example has been known to have his clients wait out as long as possible (I think it is the same agent that Gaudreau has). Then you take in consideration his family and whoever else is in his ear. I bet him and McDavid barely if at all even talk about it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There is no way it works like that there has to be a universal time that the offersheet is valid until the player needs to make a decision, I highly doubt it is written into the offersheet and varies. Say someone sent him a offersheet, he could literally like you said hold onto it for a month and use it as leverage. The team that sent the offersheet would be handcuffed and unable to sign rfa's or do trades in case the player decides to sign.

I understand if he did sign it, the team that offered it cannot really do much for a week. It is not open for 7 days, the team that the player is from has 7 days to either Match or take picks.

It's not a contract, it's a contract offer. It isn't binding in any way shape or form until both parties have signed it. So the team offering it, if they have something else lined up, first calls/faxes/emails and says the offer sheet is rescinded, then signs the new guy.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
It's not a contract, it's a contract offer. It isn't binding in any way shape or form until both parties have signed it. So the team offering it, if they have something else lined up, first calls/faxes/emails and says the offer sheet is rescinded, then signs the new guy.

Ahh ok. So even if they offer it and Drai signs it, they could not sign it and it would be void? Dang

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hypothetical: What would Drai get if he had been asked to center the second line for the year and had scored at a rate of .8 ppg?

Put another way, do Oilers' fans believe he would go ppg over a season without McDavid on his line?

Just interested in the thoughts of Oilers' fans who know him best.

Draisaitl would be signing a contract near 10M AAV if he had carried his own line last season AND scored at a rate of 0.8 ppg.

I would not expect Draisaitl to post a point per game average next season if he is asked to carry his own line without McDavid. He may be able to reach the ppg threshold under those conditions at some point in his career, but I wouldn't expect to see that happening soon.

To put your question into perspective, Leon posted a 0.71 ppg season with Taylor Hall on his LW in 15-16. Not only would Leon have to have a great season to reach a 1.0 ppg pace, he would also require at least one consistent linemate having a great season as well. There is not a lot of depth on the wings in Edmonton anymore. I would be very surprised if any of the wingers the Oilers currently have like Lucic or Kassian could be the spark plug that helps Draisaitl post those sorts of lofty numbers.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ahh ok. So even if they offer it and Drai signs it, they could not sign it and it would be void? Dang

They could, but its unlikely that many, if any, of them leave the offers open-ended. IT's standard practice in business to put an expiry on an offer, at wjhich point the offer becomes null and void. I'd imagine most offer sheets contain something similar, as the team needs to know what they are doing as well.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The best part about this, as an Oiler fan, is that McDavid was very impactful in the playoffs. The fact that Drai was even more impactful is crazy to think about. Hell, he had the best PPG in the playoffs! Can't wait for the next few years as an Oiler fan! Both are still so young and will likely continue to improve.

This. I laugh when ppl say McDavid had a bad playoff.

Please name me another player where the opposing team allocated 5 guys to shut him down..wiith 1 of them shadowing...

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So many of my fellow Oiler fans are so worried about paying a player with Drai's potential 7-9M ...as if he was some passenger that popped in backdoor tap in's from Connor. Id be more worried about next year with what Maroon will ask for....and how underwhelming RNH's offensive productivity has been....

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
So many of my fellow Oiler fans are so worried about paying a player with Drai's potential 7-9M ...as if he was some passenger that popped in backdoor tap in's from Connor. Id be more worried about next year with what Maroon will ask for....and how underwhelming RNH's offensive productivity has been....

I'm pretty confident Maroon will get walked in free agency.

Nuge has been pretty underwhelming offensively for a few seasons now. Hopefully he understands that if he wants to stick around past next season he needs to start posting some crooked numbers on the regular.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If LD is indeed the type of centre that Oilers fans have claimed himtmo be have a hard tim
Seeing them sign him for less than 9-10 million.

Like either McDacid, it's not his fault Chia has decided to give big money to support pieces.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This falls, at best, in the "Stamkos wants to play in Toronto" category...and probably only applies for the Sedins. I'm not saying they aren't close. But if you think that relationship can be quantified in millions of dollars, I think you'8re romanticizing that relationship by quite a bit.

Watch and learn. You're an Oiler outsider.
Ask hardcore Oiler fans if Draisaitl will be playing somewhere else next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad